What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official 2025 NBA Champion Philadelphia 76ers Thread*** - Still Processing (2 Viewers)

Who wins ROY?  Embiid and Saric will surely finish 1st/2nd in voting in this awful rookie class.  Not sure if Embiids 31 games is enough played to warrant the votes or not.

Unless they have decided that they will definitely be signing Covington, though they don't have to decide that until after next year anyway (or just lock him up at a bit of a discount after this season).

Seriously, they must really hate Nerlens or they have their eye on some other grand plan this offseason.
http://www.si.com/nba/2017/03/09/robert-covington-defense-philadelphia-76ers-brett-brown

RTRS podcast suggested this week that part of the reason to let Nerlens go may have been that they decided that they really wanted to commit to Covington.  I kind of hope so, because it could be the best true process-y result.  Saric-Joel-Covington would be a sweet Process trio.

http://www.si.com/nba/2017/03/09/robert-covington-defense-philadelphia-76ers-brett-brown

RTRS podcast suggested this week that part of the reason to let Nerlens go may have been that they decided that they really wanted to commit to Covington.  I kind of hope so, because it could be the best true process-y result.  Saric-Joel-Covington would be a sweet Process trio.
They tried giving up Covington in the George Deal though.  We offered the Pacers at least two first-round picks, Robert Covington and a young big (either Nerlens Noel or Jahlil Okafor) for George.  I'm kind of glad they said no to that as he might have bolted after this year.

They tried giving up Covington in the George Deal though.  We offered the Pacers at least two first-round picks, Robert Covington and a young big (either Nerlens Noel or Jahlil Okafor) for George.  I'm kind of glad they said no to that as he might have bolted after this year.
This would be pretty cool.  http://www.libertyballers.com/2017/3/21/14994252/covingtons-contract-should-makes-him-a-sixer-for-life

In other words, Sixers do not have to pay Covington 58 Million over four years like 1M next year, then 18.5M, 19M, 19.5M as one would expect. Rather they can abuse their cap space next year and pay him a lot more up front, making a reduction in their future payments and basically getting a healthy discount on his contract when cap space is tighter.

So instead, the sixers can pay Covington the following over the next four years (21.8M, 13.1M, 12M, 11.1M). What they do is basically pay him the maximum they can next year when they have far too much space and up his salary from 1M to 21.8M. Then they pay him 60% of his contract the following year, then lower it by the maximum amount possible (8%) each subsequent year. Bottom line is that when they need the space they will be getting a 22M a year player for 11M a year or less.

It's getting to the point of malpractice. At first I thought they were just uncleverly tanking but they keep screwing up the rehab for guys. It's be a real shame if we get all this talent and then no one wants to come or stay here because the medical staff is from the 1800's.

Rest of the league better be on notice. This team is in the playoffs this year with a healthy Simmons and Embidd. If they add two more high lottery picks, watch out.

It's getting to the point of malpractice. At first I thought they were just uncleverly tanking but they keep screwing up the rehab for guys. It's be a real shame if we get all this talent and then no one wants to come or stay here because the medical staff is from the 1800's.
this might be the thing that scares me the most about the next 5-8 years for the Sixers. I regularly listen to "Sixers beat" and RTRS podcasts, and they have spoke about this quite a bit over the last year. It just makes no sense, because you have some of the nation's best doctors in this area, and the team just seems to not be able to get a head with this medical stuff. I have heard that it might just be the front office, etc. but it is one of those things that doesn't make sense and I am hoping it was bad communication on their part and they have fixed some of the things behind the scenes.

As for the upcoming draft, I have looked forward to the draft order so much the last 3 years it is crazy. probably top 3 day for me in the sports world. I was really tempted to go to the XFintity center for the funeral for "the process" and I think it is a good call for the Rights to Ricky Sanchez and others to move past that. "The Process" has already occurred now we are in implementation and execution of all of that.

Depends on how the draft works out. A settling veteran presence at the point wouldn't hurt.
yeah, agree here and also price and length of contract. I won't hate it if they sign him in a way that won't hinder maxing out on guys like Embiid, etc. If we potentially get 2 high lottery picks this year we are going to be having a lot of players needing nice contracts in a few years.

Yes I want Lowry. Veteran with deep playoff experience that just didn't have enough in Toronto to take on LBJ. Come here with Simmons and Embiid and they can all grow into the next super power with him at the helm.

this might be the thing that scares me the most about the next 5-8 years for the Sixers. I regularly listen to "Sixers beat" and RTRS podcasts, and they have spoke about this quite a bit over the last year. It just makes no sense, because you have some of the nation's best doctors in this area, and the team just seems to not be able to get a head with this medical stuff. I have heard that it might just be the front office, etc. but it is one of those things that doesn't make sense and I am hoping it was bad communication on their part and they have fixed some of the things behind the scenes.

As for the upcoming draft, I have looked forward to the draft order so much the last 3 years it is crazy. probably top 3 day for me in the sports world. I was really tempted to go to the XFintity center for the funeral for "the process" and I think it is a good call for the Rights to Ricky Sanchez and others to move past that. "The Process" has already occurred now we are in implementation and execution of all of that.
will you be at the lottery party?

will you be at the lottery party?
didn't get a ticket. looked to get one online, and I think they release more on 5/15, but likely not. sounds like a good time though, and yeah it is weird sitting by myself on Tuesday evening getting so excited for the lottery balls so I may still get down there

Yes I want Lowry. Veteran with deep playoff experience that just didn't have enough in Toronto to take on LBJ. Come here with Simmons and Embiid and they can all grow into the next super power with him at the helm.
I think it really depends on the draft. The absolute best scenario I think is Kings win the 1st overall pick, and thus bump the Lakers to 4th, so the Sixers get 1 and 4. if they end up getting Fultz, I don't want Lowery on the team for the next 4 years to stunt his growth.

you would think he would like to play with the sixers.  young team with really good players.  we need a ball handler and shooter.  i would pay for him

Do we want Lowry?
Absolutely not.  Lowry is old and will be looking for a MASSIVE max contract deal.  He also is injured all the time and becomes a nobody in the playoffs.  That would completely ruin the process.... we aren't ready to compete for a title right away... so in 2-3 years do we really want a 34 year old over paid pg leading us (choking us) through the playoffs?

Also he is a true PG who needs the ball in his hands.  If we have ANY plans of Ben being our PG then Lowry definitely doesn't fit here.  Strong pass.

you would think he would like to play with the sixers.  young team with really good players.  we need a ball handler and shooter.  i would pay for him
He wants to play close to home, and wants a ton of money so I could see him wanting to come here.  Problem is, he said he wants to go to a contender and all he cares about is going where he can win a title.  We have a great group of young talent but we aren't there yet.  Bad fit for both, and people are pushing it simply cause he's from Philly and we need a PG.  It would be a very BG and anti SH move to sign him to a big deal right now. 

Absolutely not.  Lowry is old and will be looking for a MASSIVE max contract deal.  He also is injured all the time and becomes a nobody in the playoffs.  That would completely ruin the process.... we aren't ready to compete for a title right away... so in 2-3 years do we really want a 34 year old over paid pg leading us (choking us) through the playoffs?

Also he is a true PG who needs the ball in his hands.  If we have ANY plans of Ben being our PG then Lowry definitely doesn't fit here.  Strong pass.
is he that old? yeah just looked it up.  31.  you might be right.  i guess only if the money is right.

is he that old? yeah just looked it up.  31.  you might be right.  i guess only if the money is right.
Well we have the money, that's not fully the issue unless it stops us from signing another big-ish named FA in a year or two which is my hope.

The bigger issue for me is that he's old, always injured, is a playoff choke artist, and wouldn't really be a fit for our "young, energetic, good attitude" team.  He wants to win a title now and would want this to be 'his team' and is a player who needs the ball in his hands all the time.  I think it would throw things off and I think Ben should run the point and our offense should go through him/embiid/saric/top 5 draft pick. 

I think it really depends on the draft. The absolute best scenario I think is Kings win the 1st overall pick, and thus bump the Lakers to 4th, so the Sixers get 1 and 4. if they end up getting Fultz, I don't want Lowery on the team for the next 4 years to stunt his growth.
Whatever they do they shouldn't draft Ball. I really don't like his shot at all plus his dad could be a huge issue for any team. Lorenzo reminds me of the Williams Sisters father and I thought it couldn't be any worse then that guy but Lorenzo makes him look like an angle. I'm sure someone will be telling Lonzo he needs to cold turkey cut out people who could be bad influences with him. My former Co Worker knew Jameer Nelson as his cousin dated Jameer in HS and first 2 yrs in college. Anyway I met Jameer when he came by during Orlando days as he use to come home in the summer with a few NBA players and train here. I was lucky enough that he had Vince Carter with him at the time. Either way I remember Jameer talking about his Rookie year and everything he had to do before the season. The Rookie meetings the league holds each year they tell guys what and what not to do. They also make suggestions for them to cut off any bad influences. Given Lorenzo's personality he seems like that parent trying to live through his kids and telling them he's the best for them despite the fact he could hinder their development as well make poor business decisions for him. 

Either way back to what you wanted to discuss here with me and Tanking as well as a backstory pf why I'm not a sixers fan. I apologize if this is too long but I feel it shows the best way of where I'm coming from with this. I've been a Philly fan most of my life besides Basketball where I'm Strictly a Bulls fan unless it comes to College Ball where I root for Nova as I've always loved Jay Wright, semi allegiance to St Joes, and my Grandfather went to TU. My family grew up as you know big Football fans no one really was a basketball fan. My cousin (adopted) on my Grandma's side was one of the few big basketball fans and he was about 10 yrs older then me. He was a Bulls fan and this is around the time MJ was playing. I grew up as a Bulls fan so my younger childhood yrs at the very least had 1 team even though its not a Philly team had won some titles. I tried to become a sixers fan but just couldn't take AI. Great player but I couldn't take the rapper type mentality he had off the court as well as numerous issues. That and Sixers really catered to a guy who was nothing but problems. Back when I was at the Novacare to rehab an injury I met Pat Croce when he was still in the area. He was great friends with my PT who introduced me to him. He said he wished the team never babied AI and maybe things would've been different. My former Department manager at my Store worked in the Grocery store on the main line right near all the Philly News Stations that was popular to go to by players coming to the Philly Suburbs. he had so many AI stories that weren't good and till this day insists AI was his worst customer ever. That's pretty big in our line of work to do. He said Sixers PR would come by and glad hand the store offering free tickets and other merchandise so they wouldn't press charges on AI. Basically he said if we had social media and such we have today then AI probably wouldn't be looked at any different then Ray Rice, etc is. I was also a big Jerry Stackhouse fan and thought he got shafted by the Sixers do to how Selfish AI was. Look MJ could be the sameway but MJ also had a couple of titles at that point as well. I don't root for the Sixers to be terrible and given they rep my hometown I hope they do well. 

As for the tanking I was never raised as someone to intentionally lose to get better mentality. I hate Chip but he was right when he said Philly doesn't back down and lay down for anyone. If the Eagles pulled the stunt Hinkie did the fans would want to Hang Lurie and burn the Linc down. This is a football town more then anything and has been even going back to the Penn Quaker powerhouse in College in the 1920s/30s. I can't stand people who intentionally lose. In my fantasy leagues I'm one of the biggest defenders of fair play and any league I get in if it's a redraft/keeper/dynasty where we do the draft order by the last years standings I always want a loser brackets playoff where the winner gets the 1st pick that way no funny business happens. I hated when the Penguins tanked as well as other NBA teams have including Cle to get LeBron and Washington in baseball back to back yrs for Strasburg/Harper. I remember philly fans destroying these teams for doing it so I'm one of the biggest people going after those who I know are hypocrites defending the Sixers tanking while they complained about others doing it. Look I understand the mentality in the NBA of it I just don't agree with it. I unfortunately don't have the file of the little study I did I told you about so I'm gonna spend tomorrow putting a new and more up to date version of it as I don't agree with some of the Sixers recent draft decisions. There's been guys to be had. off the top of my head Evan Turner was taken at 2 when the team could've had Paul George who was taken at 8-9 that same draft. They took Mareese SPeights and the next pick was Roy Hibbert so the whole IMHO tanking for a super star is a BS and this franchise has had multiple opportunities. I've said for yrs the problem with the Sixers is they need to redo the whole scouting department from their scouts in the field to what is in the offices running the program there. Look I get getting rid of bad contracts but there's also getting rid of bad contracts, rebuilding and staying competitive. The Sixers were signing guys to this team who could barely make a DLeague roster and my buddies and I could beat in pick up.

didn't get a ticket. looked to get one online, and I think they release more on 5/15, but likely not. sounds like a good time though, and yeah it is weird sitting by myself on Tuesday evening getting so excited for the lottery balls so I may still get down there
I'm also not as big on some of the guys on this roster as others. I watched Saric in Europe and he was unimpressive to me in a league that wasn't very competitive. He wasn't playing in the Greek/Italian or Spanish Elite leagues that are top in Europe. Had trouble getting on the court with the best team in the league his own team for awhile too and he was healthy. I see him nothing more then a Poor Man Kukoc. At worst Hedo Turkoglu. It's nice to see Saric put up great numbers late in the year but like MCW was his Rookie Year was Saric's numbers more of padded stats given Simmons and Embiid weren't playing and he was one of maybe 2 players who could put up #s for them? EMbiid I said draft for awhile no matter the injuries but will this guy ever stay healthy? I wasn't a fan of Noel at first as I saw a nice Defender and energy player but if he added offense he'd be great. He developed really well, In fact I'm hoping Chicago can steal him from Dal in FA as he's the exact player Bulls fans want in the front court. I wasn't a fan of the trade but given the situation no one in their right mind gives up anything of value to help the Sixers there. I thought Okafor was a poor choice given what they had at C already. Okafor is a Poor Mans Shaq playing in the wrong type of league. He's be a top C if he was playing in Shaq's prime but he's playing in a league where bigs are more agile, play D and can shoot. The dude can barely rebound. I always like RoCov but I see him more as a Role player or 6th man. I like Luwawu and see him as a guy who could be Thabo Sefalosha ish. 3 and D. i wasn't a Holmes fan but he's grown on me.

Simmons I was never a fan. I don't care what people say about his potential. Watching him I never saw it. Let me ask you this seriously how many Sixers fans really watched most of Simmons games compared to those who just saw highlights or caught a game here and there or highlights? There's so many people who just regurgitate whatever these so called experts say. I watched almost everyone of his games. Wasn't impressed. He should've dominated a few of these weak teams early on and never did. During blow out loses or most loses he looked discontent and seemed more willingly to shove blame else where despite himself. I have family in Australia and lets just say Australians aren't fond of Simmons at all. They call him the Yank which isn't a good thing do to his I'm better then you attitude and boisterous behavior where Aussies are very down to earth. There's people there hoping the kid fails or at least has a rough start to humble him hopefully. The whole blaming his coaches is absolute BS for some of his failures too. That's just made up banter by Simmons fans to deflect accountability from him. His uncle was one of the assistant coaches at LSU and one of the reasons he went there was because of him but he wouldn't even listen to his Uncle who tried to coach him up either. His shooting well I even feel bad at this point going after him for it. We'll just say he makes Tim Tebow's football throwing motion look good. His shot is absolutely broken. Offensively he can't score anything over 12ft from the basket. Passing he passes well but he's hesitant to pass to a teammate unless he's guaranteed an assist so he's more worried about his stats then the Team W/L column. He's also had a few poor decisions when passing forcing ones that he shouldn't. Defensively he's not that good. Those gaudy blocks and steals numbers are more from pure volume of oppurtunites. Teams weren't afraid to 1v1 him on offense. He's too slow on his feet and he's not quick enough laterally to guard Swingmen or the point. down low he gets absolutely bullied by bigs as he doesn't have the muscle. I don't care what the Sixers or others say how he injured himself. I have a physical trainer who I've gone to for yrs and he's helped a few local athletes mostly college guys get to the next level and his foot injury was putting too many lbs of muscle on in such a short time. A guy that big or person any size can't support that much muscle added in such a short time. The Sixers med staff is just atrocious honestly. I really don't see a position for him. He can't guard the Point or Swing players like LeBron at his size and athleticism and he's too small and gets bullied at PF. He also IMHO won't score enough to argue him as a SF and he's a liability on Defense in similar fashion as Okafor. I guess if the Sixers got guys around him say a 3 and D PG who could run the offense if Simmons was out or whatever, a SG who could create his own shot and solid D, a stretch 4 and an athletic C you can get away with Simmons at SF but I just don't see the Sixers having the type of players to surround Simmons with at all. Looking at this team as an outsider I see a few nice players but I don't see this team anywhere close as good as many believe. Embiid healthy and all I think they could sneak in as an 8th seed do to how bad the Conference is next year with the right moves but I see this team very far off from any serious playoff movement. Back to Simmons not saying he's gonna be a horrible Player. I think at best he's gonna be the next Rudy Gay. People always debate the [potential but never lives up to it. I thought the Sixers were better off with Ingram. Look Ingram struggled this year but I think he's gonna be a really good player. He can score from anywhere and has a nice frame and he's a shooter that this team needs. I thought for the offense Brown wants to run he's a better fit. 

He wants to play close to home, and wants a ton of money so I could see him wanting to come here.  Problem is, he said he wants to go to a contender and all he cares about is going where he can win a title.  We have a great group of young talent but we aren't there yet.  Bad fit for both, and people are pushing it simply cause he's from Philly and we need a PG.  It would be a very BG and anti SH move to sign him to a big deal right now. 
From Philly and need is why they are pushing it. No different then when experts push guys in other towns to hometown team because they fit need and from there. It makes a great story for ratings too. I never thought Lowry was a fit for the Sixers. He wants to go to a contender and that's not the Sixers. Plus he's 33. 

From Philly and need is why they are pushing it. No different then when experts push guys in other towns to hometown team because they fit need and from there. It makes a great story for ratings too. I never thought Lowry was a fit for the Sixers. He wants to go to a contender and that's not the Sixers. Plus he's 33. 
well he's not 33.

Biggest day in franchise history tomorrow! :P

In order of what I want.

1 & 4
1 & 5
1 & 6
2 & 4
Just 1
2 & 5
2 & 6
3 & 4
3 & 5
Just 2
3 & 6
4 & 5
Just 3
5 & 6
4 & 7
5 & 7
Just 4
6 & 7
Just 5
Just 6
Just 7

Yes, I thought about this way too long.

Last edited by a moderator:
Biggest day in franchise history tomorrow! :P

In order of what I want.

1 & 4
1 & 5
1 & 6
2 & 4
Just 1
2 & 5
2 & 6
3 & 4
3 & 5
Just 2
3 & 6
4 & 5
Just 3
5 & 6
4 & 7
5 & 7
Just 4
6 & 7
Just 5
Just 6
Just 7

Yes, I thought about this way too long.
I think too many people are overthinking this. Considering how dirty this league is there's no way the NBA doesn't help the Lakers keep their pick in fact I wouldn't be surprised if they got 1. Considering how the NBA feels about the sixers no doubt they might even try to get them the 4th or 5th spot in the lottery and make sure they don't get any other picks. Not only that but I really have hated all the people with well this team will have multiple rookies big stars will come too. No not really most guys in FA big names want to win a title but also take the money. If it comes down to being elite with a bunch of Superstars or just getting a big payday to play with a bunch of guys who are potential guys they are taking playing with Big named stars. I was at a Sixers game 2 years ago when Embiid was hurt. Right before the All Star break and the day the rumor of Teague to the Sixers started. I sat behind a season ticket holder talking to a Sixers administrator who had a lot to talk about. The guy asked him about the recent Teague rumor. He said it was true and Colangelo actually before coming to Philly used his USA ties to ask players their feelings on the Sixers like if they'd join, what it'd take to maybe go to a team like them etc. He determined from talks with players and agents in order to get a top FA here he needed to trade for a named player first. You may think well Teague really isn't a huge name. You're right but he's a name and if he's buying into the system then other guys in FA maybe will too and come here. Now with the fact the Sixers crappy medical staff and the fact that numerous players seem to be injury prone it might be even harder to talk a big name coming here. I think fans really need to start thinking realistically here and not back to fantasy land they had 4-5 yrs ago. There's no excuse a team like this should still be this bad. They should've been threatening a playoff run a year before this and threatening for a 7th or 8th seed this year. Honestly I could see fans revolting if this team does nothing next year. A lot of fans are becoming very impatient 

I think too many people are overthinking this. Considering how dirty this league is there's no way the NBA doesn't help the Lakers keep their pick in fact I wouldn't be surprised if they got 1. Considering how the NBA feels about the sixers no doubt they might even try to get them the 4th or 5th spot in the lottery and make sure they don't get any other picks. Not only that but I really have hated all the people with well this team will have multiple rookies big stars will come too. No not really most guys in FA big names want to win a title but also take the money. If it comes down to being elite with a bunch of Superstars or just getting a big payday to play with a bunch of guys who are potential guys they are taking playing with Big named stars. I was at a Sixers game 2 years ago when Embiid was hurt. Right before the All Star break and the day the rumor of Teague to the Sixers started. I sat behind a season ticket holder talking to a Sixers administrator who had a lot to talk about. The guy asked him about the recent Teague rumor. He said it was true and Colangelo actually before coming to Philly used his USA ties to ask players their feelings on the Sixers like if they'd join, what it'd take to maybe go to a team like them etc. He determined from talks with players and agents in order to get a top FA here he needed to trade for a named player first. You may think well Teague really isn't a huge name. You're right but he's a name and if he's buying into the system then other guys in FA maybe will too and come here. Now with the fact the Sixers crappy medical staff and the fact that numerous players seem to be injury prone it might be even harder to talk a big name coming here. I think fans really need to start thinking realistically here and not back to fantasy land they had 4-5 yrs ago. There's no excuse a team like this should still be this bad. They should've been threatening a playoff run a year before this and threatening for a 7th or 8th seed this year. Honestly I could see fans revolting if this team does nothing next year. A lot of fans are becoming very impatient 
If Colangelo isn't so stubborn with keeping Okafor and forcing him and Embiid to play together they would have won more games in the fall. If Embiid is healthier then 31 games they are in the playoffs. i think you are looking too simple at it, this team is probably closer to making the playoffs next year then most of the teams in the lottery. depends how quickly Ben can adjust to pro game and if Embiid can stay healthy. those 2 factors team wins 10-12 more games just off of that. 

If Colangelo isn't so stubborn with keeping Okafor and forcing him and Embiid to play together they would have won more games in the fall. If Embiid is healthier then 31 games they are in the playoffs. i think you are looking too simple at it, this team is probably closer to making the playoffs next year then most of the teams in the lottery. depends how quickly Ben can adjust to pro game and if Embiid can stay healthy. those 2 factors team wins 10-12 more games just off of that. 
To a point I agree but it's a lot of BIG IFs. It depends I guess how you feel how good Simmons is. I like Embiid but can he stay Healthy? I'm in no way a Simmons fan at all. I think he falls into the category of an overhyped prospect do to a weak draft by scouts and media. We've seen it before in the NBA numerous times . My point is some poor drafting as well as holding guys out when ready to play (From kentucky people I spoke to they said Noel was ready by January his rookie year but Hinkie didn't want chancing too many more wins) as well as other factors. I don't think Saric is a great player and quite frankly i think the team would've been better off with Efrid Payton. They should'vee also traded MCW while his stock was high in that draft and kept Payton like a few thought was happening when they drafted Payton initially. Again I think it depends how you view this team and it's players. To me theres too many BIG IFs on a lot of factors. They have a few nice Role players and I really like Embiid if he can stay healthy. Colangelo was stuck between a rock and a hard place with Okafor. He wasn't gonna get great value and Hinkie screwed the pooch with too many Bigs. Teams knew the team had to unload 1 of those guys if not 2 of them. The team wasn't gonna get great value no matter what. 

So... um... who's excited for the lottery?
i'm excited, and feel ok this year unlike the last few years. This year is different because the team has 2 potential all-stars in Embiid and Simmons, and the need isn't for everything this time. Other big thing is that unlike last year, there are multiple prospects that would be good to have. Last year was a lot of Simmons and Ingram and everything else. Wanting that #1 was huge, and 2 would have been a mild consolation prize. This year of course Fultz stands out as the best prospect, but coming away with Johnson or Isaac or even Smith would be ok. 

i'm excited, and feel ok this year unlike the last few years. This year is different because the team has 2 potential all-stars in Embiid and Simmons, and the need isn't for everything this time. Other big thing is that unlike last year, there are multiple prospects that would be good to have. Last year was a lot of Simmons and Ingram and everything else. Wanting that #1 was huge, and 2 would have been a mild consolation prize. This year of course Fultz stands out as the best prospect, but coming away with Johnson or Isaac or even Smith would be ok. 
1. I'm assuming you mean Jackson.  Would love him but he's going top 3 so we'll have to move up.

2. Isaac I'd be OKAY with but that means we get no lakers pick and slipped down to 5 or 6.  Ugh.  Would like him with the lakers pick though if we can use our own pick on one of the kentucky PGs.

3. Hate Smith.  Would rather Fox or Monk.

1. I'm assuming you mean Jackson.  Would love him but he's going top 3 so we'll have to move up.

2. Isaac I'd be OKAY with but that means we get no lakers pick and slipped down to 5 or 6.  Ugh.  Would like him with the lakers pick though if we can use our own pick on one of the kentucky PGs.

3. Hate Smith.  Would rather Fox or Monk.
yeah, Jackson would be better then someone random Johnson dude. And that is what i mean with your 3rd point, there are options out there. I have heard recently that Smith has been really impressive in recent workouts and a lot of teams are thinking higher on him like he was pre-CBB season. 

modogg said:
yeah, Jackson would be better then someone random Johnson dude. And that is what i mean with your 3rd point, there are options out there. I have heard recently that Smith has been really impressive in recent workouts and a lot of teams are thinking higher on him like he was pre-CBB season. 
Ah, fair enough.  I just never thought his game would translate that well, but maybe he wouldn't be that bad.

I've been a Fultz fan since his high school days.  Told everyone I know that Fultz would be the perfect fit in Philly and how bad I wanted him (this was BEFORE last season when mocks had him going anywhere from #7-#15).  Now that he's shot up to #1 I'm still holding my breath that we get that top pick.  I'd be so excited.

modogg said:
Ok I actually found my post on the board I put this on awhile ago and this was also a Facebook post I made. I actually went from 04 Iggy draft to Noel so I'll update this. It's a bit long but I said I'd do this for you. I really hope you take the time to look at the very least the draft parts of this. Forgive my uptempto tone here but I was really mad at a few people and even had this on my Facebook when a friend of mine insisted tanking was the best move possible. Pay more attention to the problems I put fourth here. again I apologize for this being long but I knew when trying to find this it was gonna be long and I just updated this. 

"Excuse me while I go on a rant here. This is what happens when go and research. People need to be informed here!!!!! There's so much in the league that needs to be changed I think the NBA needs to at least go back to the old rule of players out of HS are draft eligible but implement if you go to college you need to stay at least 3 yrs minimum. I think these one and dones greatly water down the league. It's why teams think they need to tank to win. For Internationals they should be at a max 21 yrs of age by the start of the regular season Calendar to enter The Draft.

Now onto the myth TEAMS NEED TO TANK TO BE CONTENDERS. Sixers however I looked back at their drafts and they missed on a few guys. They took Speights ahead of Hibbert who went in the next Pick as one example.

Here's a few examples on the Sixers level and guys who I feel they had a legit shot taking within their (The Sixers) Pick range:

04 Iggy was drafted before JR Smith, Josh Smith and Nelson all who were in the top 20 as well. Josh Smith who is very good but I think is a bit overrated would've been great for the Sixers. Iggy ended up getting an extension down the line here, where he was way over paid and on a better team he's a 2nd or even 3rd option. We saw how successful he was when he had legit Scoring 1 and 2 options ahead of him in Den and Golden State

05 Lou Williams was a steal in the second round. They traded their first for PF Kenny Thomas but where in prime position to take Danny Granger who went right after that pick. Thomas was a serviceable player but the Sixers first run on a guy with bad knees came into play here where they trade for one of my all time favorite players Chris Webber.C Webb at this point in his career was well past his prime and his Kings glory days of running Kings court with NJ Native Mike Bibby.

06: Sixers and Bulls made a draft day trade of Sefelosha for Rodney Carney and both miss out on Rondo. 

07: Thad Young was nice but missed on Aaron Brooks and Aaron Affalo second rounder was traded before for Bobby Jones (Were in great position to draft Marc Gasol) This draft wasn't anything to brag about though

08: Already went over Speights over Hibbert (I said having watched Florida Speights would be frustrating to watch. Javel McGee and Serg Ibaka were drafted after Speights as well. Didn't make 2nd round pick as it was traded

09: For once they took a good player other then Thad Young in Jrue Holiday. (Notable draft picks he was ahead of in !st round Ty Lawson pick after and Taj Gibson pick 26). 

10: I'm sorry to go through this one but ET. After him Cousins and Paul George and Greg Monroe. 2nd rounder traded to get 09 2nd rounder Jodi Meeks

11: Made a great pick in Nikola Vucevic and then stupidly traded him for Andrew Bynum. Niko is now a very good C and IMHO top 10 now in the league. 2nd rounder Lavoy Allen who graded by many the worst rookie in that draft. Missed on Isiah Thomas JR who has avg 15.4 PPG so far in his career as well as 36% 3PT range. And I might say has been one of the best players the last year or so. They missed on Iman Shumpert drafted right after Nikola, Nikola Mirotic, Jimmy Butler and Norris Cole, Chandler Parsons was a high 2nd rounder

12: Mo Harkless traded in the Bynum deal who has developed into a nice bench player for Orl could've had Sullenger who I admit I was pretty wrong about but was pretty nervous about his back issues at the time. They traded with Mia to get Moultrie and that pick they traded is top 10 protect till I believe '17 if I'm correct

13: took Noel obviously who I think is a PF Defensive PF who needs to at least avg 10PPG to really start in this league.Noel has turned into a very good athletic big you can run the fast break with and I think he could've helped. I don't know if Embiid/Noel combination would've worked considering Noel isn't a stretch 4 but I think they pulled the plug too soon plus neither guy being healthy when the other one was healthy didn't help. They missed on The Greek Freak here and CJ McCullom instead took MCW. 2nd Glen Rice JR

14: Joel Embiid this is one I actually I agreed with. However he could be really injury prone. Gordon Exum Smart were picked after. The team then Selected Efrid Payton who I liked but then traded his rights to Magic for Saric. Who played well this past season but European guys are tricky here. Game is way different and some guys get off to fast starts then fall flat. 2nd round they took Horace Grant's Nephew Jermi who was traded this past season for Ersan Illyasova who helped mentor Saric but then latter traded for Thiago Splitter who I've always liked but has been on a decline. Could've also had Nurkic, McBuckets Zach Lavine and Gary Harris

15: This was the Wiggins draft and Porzingis refused to come to Philly> This is where Okafor was taken. Sixers could've had Hezonja, Cauley Stein who's been really good since Boogie left, Mudiay, Justice Winslow, and Devin Booker. Took Holmes who I've said I liked in the 2nd round. 

16: Too early to go into this big time but Simmons. Didn't play all year and I don't think he fits what the team needs. I think he just clogs more space at the 4 the Sixers already need bodies to move. I like Ingram here more. 

So as you can see it's why I call BS in the you need to tank to get a Superstar the 76ers FO just showed complete ineptness and lack of player scouting and development. Better drafting the 76ers could've had some solid players and potentially 1-2 Super Stars already. How about letting your prospects play (I'm looking at you Doug Collins for forcing Nikola to ride the bench while you were there), trading your star player (Allen Iverson) well before his past due date because you were more worried about keeping <asses in the seats rather then getting some great value (Andre Miller and picks were great but AI should've netted you way more but you waited TOO LONG), Billy King dismantling the Finals teams and taking Derrick Coleman back (I think that's when I finally decided there was no hope of me ever becoming a Sixers fan. Hey I tried), not keeping Raja Bell or Kyle Korver (BTW having Korver as a Bull was great considering he was my Favorite Sixer), trading for past his prime Chris Webber who I told everyone was his prime having exclusively watched those Kings teams for awhile, as well as giving players that were 2nd tier guys in Iggy bigger then they cost contracts where it became almost impossible to trade them. 

No the Sixers didn't need to tank (Which I think this is the most blatant tank job in US Sports History and why people are upset is how Smug Sam Hinkie and Co have acted about it) to get better, they needed an FO who knows how to properly build a team and scout and not make stupid decisions that I could've told them wasn't going to work. I always have people say to me but in a few years with MCW, Saric, Embiid and Noel we could lure a great FA player here. Uh that's a pipe dream no NBA or professional Athlete will want to take a chance on an organization who like I already said has blatantly tanked so bad and rubbed a lot of NBA teams the wrong way. It's not the tanking part that destroys this it's the smugness that I want to slap off Hinkie and Cos face that <pisses everyone off. Also NBA players want to go to established winning teams who have a chance. Mike Dunleavy specifically said for example the #1 reason he signed with Chi a few years ago was they had a winning atmosphere and he had been on my loosing teams his whole career. Players can't trust an organization who like we saw in Mia with the Marlins in Baseball if it doesn't work they tear it down with in a season or two. Players need to be able to trust the organization. If the Sixers do sign some FAs in the following years it'll be guys who they really had to overpay for. I'm talking players like Rudy Gay tier. Guys who everyone thinks has the talent but hasn't reached it yet or inconsistent showing it levels. You aren't getting the Durant's of the world coming to Philly. Not until the team establishes that winning mentality and a chance to really compete for a title.

Someone will say yeah but look at the Cavs this off season. Yeah the Cavs took back Lebron James who only did it to stroke his ego and left "His Buddy" Wade in Mia because he couldn't trust the guys . I hate to admit it but LBJ is this generations Jordan and it's easy to throw a MJ or LBJ in their primes on a loosing team and ask FA's hey are you interested in playing for us? Any NBA player who says no is a flat out idiot for not saying they have some interest even if they hate said players guts. It's career suicide to say they didn't at least think it at least in this generation NBA. Now if this was MJ's era I'd be saying good for them show you can win on your own. Point The Sixers don't have a Jordan or LBJ to lure guys here. All they have is guys with POTENTIAL and look to be injury prone. Plus a very questionable medical staff. I also wonder how this could effect the 76ers players I mentioned where they've lost so much in their young career. Loosing like winning has a rubbing off mentality as well. 

Either way back to the point I feel changes are needed to be made. I'd also like to see more rule implemented to help the defense as well as a major crackdown and properly calling flopping. This is why I hate players teaming up because it already makes an already water down league even further watered down. I'd rather see these superstars competing AGAINST EACH OTHER and not playing together unless it's all star game or olympics. It makes the games so much more enjoyable and gives a lot more teams a chance to win. It's also why I think the 93 NBA Dream Team who won Gold was so impressive. They needed staff to keep guys from fighting each other especially Jordan and Hakeem. I'd implement a very hard cap where Superstar teams to come together players need to take way less money or put all their money in superstars and have zero depth. 

All and all like Chip Kelly says "We're From Philly and We Fight. We'll play anyone, anywhere, any place, and anytime you call it." In other words Hinkie you better hope your Tanking plan works because if not you'll be the most vilified person in Philly not named Sidney Crosby, Jerry Jones, The NCAA. There's already Sixers fans with 2nd thoughts on Hinkie thinking he was in over his head. No surprise he hasn't gotten an NBA FO job since he was let go. 

Ok I actually found my post on the board I put this on awhile ago and this was also a Facebook post I made. I actually went from 04 Iggy draft to Noel so I'll update this. It's a bit long but I said I'd do this for you. I really hope you take the time to look at the very least the draft parts of this. Forgive my uptempto tone here but I was really mad at a few people and even had this on my Facebook when a friend of mine insisted tanking was the best move possible. Pay more attention to the problems I put fourth here. again I apologize for this being long but I knew when trying to find this it was gonna be long and I just updated this. 

"Excuse me while I go on a rant here. This is what happens when go and research. People need to be informed here!!!!! There's so much in the league that needs to be changed I think the NBA needs to at least go back to the old rule of players out of HS are draft eligible but implement if you go to college you need to stay at least 3 yrs minimum. I think these one and dones greatly water down the league. It's why teams think they need to tank to win. For Internationals they should be at a max 21 yrs of age by the start of the regular season Calendar to enter The Draft.

Now onto the myth TEAMS NEED TO TANK TO BE CONTENDERS. Sixers however I looked back at their drafts and they missed on a few guys. They took Speights ahead of Hibbert who went in the next Pick as one example.

Here's a few examples on the Sixers level and guys who I feel they had a legit shot taking within their (The Sixers) Pick range:

04 Iggy was drafted before JR Smith, Josh Smith and Nelson all who were in the top 20 as well. Josh Smith who is very good but I think is a bit overrated would've been great for the Sixers. Iggy ended up getting an extension down the line here, where he was way over paid and on a better team he's a 2nd or even 3rd option. We saw how successful he was when he had legit Scoring 1 and 2 options ahead of him in Den and Golden State

05 Lou Williams was a steal in the second round. They traded their first for PF Kenny Thomas but where in prime position to take Danny Granger who went right after that pick. Thomas was a serviceable player but the Sixers first run on a guy with bad knees came into play here where they trade for one of my all time favorite players Chris Webber.C Webb at this point in his career was well past his prime and his Kings glory days of running Kings court with NJ Native Mike Bibby.

06: Sixers and Bulls made a draft day trade of Sefelosha for Rodney Carney and both miss out on Rondo. 

07: Thad Young was nice but missed on Aaron Brooks and Aaron Affalo second rounder was traded before for Bobby Jones (Were in great position to draft Marc Gasol) This draft wasn't anything to brag about though

08: Already went over Speights over Hibbert (I said having watched Florida Speights would be frustrating to watch. Javel McGee and Serg Ibaka were drafted after Speights as well. Didn't make 2nd round pick as it was traded

09: For once they took a good player other then Thad Young in Jrue Holiday. (Notable draft picks he was ahead of in !st round Ty Lawson pick after and Taj Gibson pick 26). 

10: I'm sorry to go through this one but ET. After him Cousins and Paul George and Greg Monroe. 2nd rounder traded to get 09 2nd rounder Jodi Meeks

11: Made a great pick in Nikola Vucevic and then stupidly traded him for Andrew Bynum. Niko is now a very good C and IMHO top 10 now in the league. 2nd rounder Lavoy Allen who graded by many the worst rookie in that draft. Missed on Isiah Thomas JR who has avg 15.4 PPG so far in his career as well as 36% 3PT range. And I might say has been one of the best players the last year or so. They missed on Iman Shumpert drafted right after Nikola, Nikola Mirotic, Jimmy Butler and Norris Cole, Chandler Parsons was a high 2nd rounder

12: Mo Harkless traded in the Bynum deal who has developed into a nice bench player for Orl could've had Sullenger who I admit I was pretty wrong about but was pretty nervous about his back issues at the time. They traded with Mia to get Moultrie and that pick they traded is top 10 protect till I believe '17 if I'm correct

13: took Noel obviously who I think is a PF Defensive PF who needs to at least avg 10PPG to really start in this league.Noel has turned into a very good athletic big you can run the fast break with and I think he could've helped. I don't know if Embiid/Noel combination would've worked considering Noel isn't a stretch 4 but I think they pulled the plug too soon plus neither guy being healthy when the other one was healthy didn't help. They missed on The Greek Freak here and CJ McCullom instead took MCW. 2nd Glen Rice JR

14: Joel Embiid this is one I actually I agreed with. However he could be really injury prone. Gordon Exum Smart were picked after. The team then Selected Efrid Payton who I liked but then traded his rights to Magic for Saric. Who played well this past season but European guys are tricky here. Game is way different and some guys get off to fast starts then fall flat. 2nd round they took Horace Grant's Nephew Jermi who was traded this past season for Ersan Illyasova who helped mentor Saric but then latter traded for Thiago Splitter who I've always liked but has been on a decline. Could've also had Nurkic, McBuckets Zach Lavine and Gary Harris

15: This was the Wiggins draft and Porzingis refused to come to Philly> This is where Okafor was taken. Sixers could've had Hezonja, Cauley Stein who's been really good since Boogie left, Mudiay, Justice Winslow, and Devin Booker. Took Holmes who I've said I liked in the 2nd round. 

16: Too early to go into this big time but Simmons. Didn't play all year and I don't think he fits what the team needs. I think he just clogs more space at the 4 the Sixers already need bodies to move. I like Ingram here more. 

So as you can see it's why I call BS in the you need to tank to get a Superstar the 76ers FO just showed complete ineptness and lack of player scouting and development. Better drafting the 76ers could've had some solid players and potentially 1-2 Super Stars already. How about letting your prospects play (I'm looking at you Doug Collins for forcing Nikola to ride the bench while you were there), trading your star player (Allen Iverson) well before his past due date because you were more worried about keeping <asses in the seats rather then getting some great value (Andre Miller and picks were great but AI should've netted you way more but you waited TOO LONG), Billy King dismantling the Finals teams and taking Derrick Coleman back (I think that's when I finally decided there was no hope of me ever becoming a Sixers fan. Hey I tried), not keeping Raja Bell or Kyle Korver (BTW having Korver as a Bull was great considering he was my Favorite Sixer), trading for past his prime Chris Webber who I told everyone was his prime having exclusively watched those Kings teams for awhile, as well as giving players that were 2nd tier guys in Iggy bigger then they cost contracts where it became almost impossible to trade them. 

No the Sixers didn't need to tank (Which I think this is the most blatant tank job in US Sports History and why people are upset is how Smug Sam Hinkie and Co have acted about it) to get better, they needed an FO who knows how to properly build a team and scout and not make stupid decisions that I could've told them wasn't going to work. I always have people say to me but in a few years with MCW, Saric, Embiid and Noel we could lure a great FA player here. Uh that's a pipe dream no NBA or professional Athlete will want to take a chance on an organization who like I already said has blatantly tanked so bad and rubbed a lot of NBA teams the wrong way. It's not the tanking part that destroys this it's the smugness that I want to slap off Hinkie and Cos face that <pisses everyone off. Also NBA players want to go to established winning teams who have a chance. Mike Dunleavy specifically said for example the #1 reason he signed with Chi a few years ago was they had a winning atmosphere and he had been on my loosing teams his whole career. Players can't trust an organization who like we saw in Mia with the Marlins in Baseball if it doesn't work they tear it down with in a season or two. Players need to be able to trust the organization. If the Sixers do sign some FAs in the following years it'll be guys who they really had to overpay for. I'm talking players like Rudy Gay tier. Guys who everyone thinks has the talent but hasn't reached it yet or inconsistent showing it levels. You aren't getting the Durant's of the world coming to Philly. Not until the team establishes that winning mentality and a chance to really compete for a title.

Someone will say yeah but look at the Cavs this off season. Yeah the Cavs took back Lebron James who only did it to stroke his ego and left "His Buddy" Wade in Mia because he couldn't trust the guys . I hate to admit it but LBJ is this generations Jordan and it's easy to throw a MJ or LBJ in their primes on a loosing team and ask FA's hey are you interested in playing for us? Any NBA player who says no is a flat out idiot for not saying they have some interest even if they hate said players guts. It's career suicide to say they didn't at least think it at least in this generation NBA. Now if this was MJ's era I'd be saying good for them show you can win on your own. Point The Sixers don't have a Jordan or LBJ to lure guys here. All they have is guys with POTENTIAL and look to be injury prone. Plus a very questionable medical staff. I also wonder how this could effect the 76ers players I mentioned where they've lost so much in their young career. Loosing like winning has a rubbing off mentality as well. 

Either way back to the point I feel changes are needed to be made. I'd also like to see more rule implemented to help the defense as well as a major crackdown and properly calling flopping. This is why I hate players teaming up because it already makes an already water down league even further watered down. I'd rather see these superstars competing AGAINST EACH OTHER and not playing together unless it's all star game or olympics. It makes the games so much more enjoyable and gives a lot more teams a chance to win. It's also why I think the 93 NBA Dream Team who won Gold was so impressive. They needed staff to keep guys from fighting each other especially Jordan and Hakeem. I'd implement a very hard cap where Superstar teams to come together players need to take way less money or put all their money in superstars and have zero depth. 

All and all like Chip Kelly says "We're From Philly and We Fight. We'll play anyone, anywhere, any place, and anytime you call it." In other words Hinkie you better hope your Tanking plan works because if not you'll be the most vilified person in Philly not named Sidney Crosby, Jerry Jones, The NCAA. There's already Sixers fans with 2nd thoughts on Hinkie thinking he was in over his head. No surprise he hasn't gotten an NBA FO job since he was let go. 
Good god, man.  I think at this point you're just wasting your time writing things no one will read.  Where's the cliff notes?

Good god, man.  I think at this point you're just wasting your time writing things no one will read.  Where's the cliff notes?
This was more so for dogg. I said to at least look at the transactions of these. 

The cliff note version of basic summary is this through 04-16 drafts

On top of that trading AI sooner, not resigning Iggy and not trading for Bynum I think were huge mistakes. The Sixers need an overall from the scouting FO all the way up and I don't trust Josh Harris as an owner. Just look what he's done to the Devils. 

lol, like Daemon said i can't read all of that. Skipped to the last 2 paragraphs. Actually focus is more on the last paragraph. I hear you recounting Chip's saying a few times, but difference is that is PR, and pro football is very different then pro basketball in terms of how to succeed. What Hinkie did was take advantage of a flawed system, and with that HIkie's plan is already a success. He never guaranteed a championship like most GMs do, what he did do was give the Sixers at one. What he did was help the Sixers avoid 10 years of limbo, and put them in a position to be upper echelon (with luck and good moves).

As for Sixers fans with second thoughts, i honestly couldn't care less. I remember Eagles fans screaming for the Eagles to bench McNabb to get Kolb in his rookie year. Most SIxers fans out there have no idea what occurred the last 7-8 years of this franchise. 

And the reason why he has no FO job is because he had to sign a 1-year no compete clause when he left. 

The 76ers biggest flaw of their last two regimes was not proper scouting and missing on talent in the draft, not having the proper coach, not trading Allen Iverson sooner because they were more worried about loosing money then getting great value and handing out bad contracts and trading for guys who were well past their prime or injured.

lol, like Daemon said i can't read all of that. Skipped to the last 2 paragraphs. Actually focus is more on the last paragraph. I hear you recounting Chip's saying a few times, but difference is that is PR, and pro football is very different then pro basketball in terms of how to succeed. What Hinkie did was take advantage of a flawed system, and with that HIkie's plan is already a success. He never guaranteed a championship like most GMs do, what he did do was give the Sixers at one. What he did was help the Sixers avoid 10 years of limbo, and put them in a position to be upper echelon (with luck and good moves).

As for Sixers fans with second thoughts, i honestly couldn't care less. I remember Eagles fans screaming for the Eagles to bench McNabb to get Kolb in his rookie year. Most SIxers fans out there have no idea what occurred the last 7-8 years of this franchise. 

And the reason why he has no FO job is because he had to sign a 1-year no compete clause when he left. 
Yes and no. I hate seeing team give an easy win to anyone. I remember the NFL after the Jets debacle of the playoffs making it or not because another team benched their starters which Gave the Jets the win. NFL basically ruled any teams with playoff implications the last game or two a team out of the post season can't bench players. I get putting the team in a better position. Trust me I really do as for yrs I've been destroying the org for their poor decisions. However you can still put the team in a good position while staying competitive. My point of the draft summaries was to show there were still all star talent available to them despite "being in basketball purgatory" drafting wise. I think the Turner over Cousins/George was one of the biggest draft mistakes by the team. Trading Vucevic was also a terrible move for a guy with already bad knees who hardly played an NBA game ever again after that trade. 

As for the fans wanting to Bench McNabb I feel many of them were idiots or just people who never liked McNabb. There's still this vilified hatred amongst some Eagles fans on him. I also know about the no compete clause but he's also hasn't had people banging down his door to hire him either. Overall I'm a guy who's all for no tanking. There's ways to get out of the hell hole the 76ers are in that you don't need to tank. Getting rid of bad contracts while still competing. I'd have started with a whole overhaul of the FO including the scouting department. These guys just didn't miss on 1 potential all star over the years but multiple guys. In the last 6 yrs only 13 I believe players in the top 10 have made an all star team. I think only 3 have won a title. And quite frankly the guys 6 yrs ago and even 5 were more potential guys then the guys coming out today. Yeah the system is flawed by I also hate how Sixers fans went about this tanking all the meantime for yrs these same people were #####ing and moaning about the Penguins and other sports franchises tanking. Then when it's the Sixers ever defense in the book comes out for why it's best now. It's what you call a hypocrite and I hate more then anything else is that. My point was to show theres still talent to be had in a draft without tanking. Sixers made huge swings and misses on that. Just look at the basic draft summary I posted of who they drafted and who was with in their pick to take or at least available. If I was a diehard sixers fan it'd make me throw up as much as going back and seeing my Bulls traded LaMarcus Aldrige for Fricken Tyrus Thomas. 

Users who are viewing this thread