What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Addict brothers/sisters (1 Viewer)

Apple Jack

Footballguy
In most other families, I would be the #### up addict. In my family, my brother the alcoholic takes up all the oxygen from that conversation. He has been missing for three months. We are pretty sure it has come to the point that he is homeless. At 54 years old. My parents had reached the end of their rope financially in helping him out since laid off by GE a couple years ago and told him he had to come live with them and obviously could not drink there, which he said was fine that he had not been drinking. My mom has always bought it when he said that; everybody else knows better. They drive five hours to pick him up on the agreed upon day and time and he didn't answer the door. They called and he said he wasn't ready that it would be a few hours but he didn't know exactly when. Mom said that's it you're on your own and they turned around and drove home. That is the last any of us has heard from him, though they have received FOUR separate bills for emergency room visits since and the hospitals are already threatening them.

He is extremely bright on many fronts, with a genius IQ, but was diagnosed with mild Asperger's. He is socially awkward and every stretch of sobriety is met with a bender that wrecks everything. He has always lived alone - no relationships we're aware of - and since my dad died in '98 he has been a bit of a mess. He has just never been able to get it together for more than a year or two at a time and even then was hiding being drunk and reeking of booze at work and would require forced time off to dry out here and there. Bosses would try to help him, but eventually you have to say enough. So he's been let go a couple times despite the fact that he has always been good at the tasks associated with his job. When he was younger, he was much more in demand as he was an early IT guy. Now? He's the old guy with the sketchy resume in a field heavily populated with young, desirable candidates. He would surely have killed himself decades ago if not for his oddly firm but casual relationship with Catholicism and the belief that suicide is simply not an option. That he would end up in hell. I'm pretty sure he'll eventually lose faith and do himself in or just find that drinking himself to death gets him off that hook. Maybe not. I hope not. It is remarkable to me that he is still alive.

My mother is struggling with filing a missing persons report but is being told by everybody not to. That if she finds him all she is going to do is get right back on the merry-go-round of enabling. And he has burned my stepfather and her for an ungodly chunk of what was left of their savings. She is reaching out to all the old contacts she's developed over the years when he was in this or that rehab facility. She is 78 ####### years old and is destroyed over this. Doesn't help they just lost all of their furniture in a storage facility that was flooded by Matthew, but thankfully just things...no photos or anything with sentimental value. It blows seeing this poor, sweet woman who has tried so hard to help the best way she can get burned time and time and time again, emotionally and financially. This is eating away what's left of her spirit.

I have come very close on a few recent Fridays to getting in the car and driving down to look for him. We've never been close as he is nine years older than me and was well into isolation and alcoholism by the time I could have adult conversations with him. But he is my brother and it is really strange not doing anything proactive in attempt to better the situation. But having my own past with addiction and knowing what the lifers are saying, it seems the only thing to do here is wait. Sucks.

Happy Friday y'all!

Couldn't find a similar thread, so vent about your ####-up siblings (or whoever else) here.

My younger brother is a alcholic. Has been living with me for the last year. This is the third time I've moved him in. This last time he was basically homeless.  He is a 35 year old man-child who has been fired from nearly every job he's had for drinking. I realize that I have only be enabling his behavior, but I have always feared that if I didnt he would be end up dead. Our father died (drank himself to death when he was 14, I was 20) so I always felt like I needed to look out for him. Our mom is at her wits end and has all but written him off. He is moving to Costa Rica at th end of November with a buddy, and i feel like this has to be the point where I cut the chord and he either makes it or doesnt. thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a similar situation with an older brother but supposedly he has been sober since he was last put in a treatment facility.  I had no relationship with him other than saying hi a few times a year we get together at family events.  His college aged daughter called our sister recently and suspected he had been drinking but he denied it when talking with her.

I wish him well and hope he is sober but even when not drinking he hasn't made any effort to carry on a relationship with me.  I've spent plenty of time searching for him, getting him into hospitals in the past.  I've basically washed my hands of him, sober or drunk.  I'm not sure it is  the right thing but I've got my own family to focus on and I struggle enough keeping my own personal demons away that I've decided I'm not wasting any efforts on him.

I was that brother for a  number of years. Isolating and avoiding family unless I felt I could get something from them. Alcohol was my master and I was a denizen of his mad realm. I finally got sick and tired of being sick and tired 21 years ago and asked somebody for help. If a person doesn't want to quit, there usually isn't much you can do for them.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was in a very different situation as it was my younger brother, we are very close, and we were both in our twenties. But the best piece of advice I can give you is to never give up on him. There were a ton of times when I wanted to, but I'm not sure he'd be alive right now if I had given up on him. You certainly can't always save someone, but you can try. Family is everything.

I wish you and him both the best.

My older brother. Loner. No girlfriends, never married no kids. Had a good steady job in retail management, owned a townhouse. Got a DUI, lost his license, lost his job, took a cash under the table job at a liquor store. Eventually hit bottom and reached out to mom for help (not financial help just personal). 

He lost his home to foreclosure, declared bankruptcy and moved in with mom. Took side jobs here and there for 2 years but he quit drinking. Now - he works for an upscale furniture design and build shop. Went from paint booth to supervisor, now has a desk job using CAD to design and help sales team bid large jobs to major corporations. Moved into his own apartment. Bought a newer car and his credit is improving. 

He made it through the deep times, but he's always had a strong sense of personal responsibility and we all were raise with a very strong guilt/shame/honor motif. So he bootstrapped it without 'help'. 

I really love him and we share a few common interests (golf, fantasy football). When he was 'down' he hid from us. Now it's like having him back. 

That is the last any of us has heard from him, though they have received FOUR separate bills for emergency room visits since and the hospitals are already threatening them.
First and foremost I pray your brother is OK and finally realizes he needs help. Until then I don't know that there's much he can do.

Regarding the hospital bills...how can the hospital threaten your mother and step-father for payment? You mentioned your brother is 54 years old. They need to tell the hospital to pound sand and put those bills directly into the shredder.

Users who are viewing this thread