What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Babysitting Pay (1 Viewer)

Wooderson

Fight The Power
We have twin 3 year olds. They go to bed at 7:30 pm every night. They are easy to get to bed as they don't fight it and we or the babysitters never have to go in to "check"on them if they cry.

With that being said we currently pay $15/hour when the kids are awake and $10 when the are sleeping.  Most night we get a sitter its from 6:30 - 10:00 so they get 1 hour at $15 and the rest at $10.

First question are we paying enough? 

Second question should we adjust pay depending on if the kids are awake or not?

Your rates are more than generous. We pay $10 an hour and have easily financed our babysitters car and at least her first semester of college. And she has been happy with that rate.

2 kids should be $15 or more per hour at a minimum. 

Thank goodness I've got 2 in high school but they wouldn't blink at anything less than that. 

I pay $15/hour regardless of awake / asleep.  I also have 3 year old twins.  Although mine screamed for a half an hour tonight and we had to have a double PJ change before they calmed down and finally went to sleep.

I scale it based on the babysitter.  We have one that is older girl who is awesome and I pay her $15 an hour because we are comfortable when she is at the house.  There are a couple other options that are the 2nd and 3rd options that are good, but we only pay them $10 because they just do the minimum of what is expected of them.  

I'm a firm believer in paying someone more money if it takes my wife's stress level down so we have a more enjoyable night out. 

I always thought babysitters got a little more than minimum wage?

Something like $15/hr for  a couple kids is more than fair, imo.

Ours boys are 7 and 5. We pay some sitters $12 per hour and others $10. The boys are asleep most of the time.

sweet mary, we just had a sitter for 4 1/2 hours. two kids, 8 & 5.

felt pretty generous giving her $40 for her time.

we've walked to her parents before and they told us we're paying way too much.

sweet mary, we just had a sitter for 4 1/2 hours. two kids, 8 & 5.

felt pretty generous giving her $40 for her time.

we've walked to her parents before and they told us we're paying way too much.
A couple gave my daughter a c-note for babysitting 2 boys (5&3) for 4 hours--8-midnight.  The younger one was asleep when she arrived.  I thought that was too much.

That amount seems right.  First, as others have pointed out, it depends on age and experience level.  A HS student who is babysitting isn't going to make the same as someone in their 20's or 30's with more experience.  Secondly, I would also drop the awake/sleep thing over such a short period of time.  Third, the amount that is right is the amount that you both agree upon.  You're certainly not paying an amount so low that you're stealing their service.  If they want more, let them ask and then you can decide if it's worth it.

If it's always the same amount of time or you know the time you'll be gone, just do a fixed price that seems "right" if it makes you feel better. 

A couple gave my daughter a c-note for babysitting 2 boys (5&3) for 4 hours--8-midnight.  The younger one was asleep when she arrived.  I thought that was too much.
We pay $20 an hour for one 8 year old.

We pay $10/hr for one or $12/hr for two.  Sleeping or not.   Always round up to the nearest $5.  Pretty standard rate here in NE

Last edited by a moderator:
After reading the replies we are going to go $15 an hour awake or asleep. 

We are going to a beer festival tomorrow going to cost us $100. Damn 

A couple ginve my daughter a c-note for babysitting 2 boys (5&3) for 4 hours--8-midnight.  The younger one was asleep when she arrived.  I thoht that was too much.. 
25 per for two Is pretty standard to minimum here In nyc (and I assume other expensive cities). That said, we pay college kids 12 for both (5 &9)... super easy, self sufficient kids (mine, not the good fer nothing Millenial sitters)  

After reading the replies we are going to go $15 an hour awake or asleep. 

We are going to a beer festival tomorrow going to cost us $100. Damn 
Depending on how long they will be sleeping, why not consider a flat rate that seems fair? $75?

Two kids 21 and 17.  Between parents and relatives I've never actually paid a babysitter (unless you count having to spend time with the in-laws, then I've paid.  Oh how I've paid).

Two kids 21 and 17.  Between parents and relatives I've never actually paid a babysitter (unless you count having to spend time with the in-laws, then I've paid.  Oh how I've paid).
Same here, my wife has 3 sisters so it's usually a trade. If one of them watches my kids I know within a couple weeks we will be asked to return the favor. Kids are 7 and almost 5.

Another way I look at these situations, which is the same way I look at the waitress in a diner etc. The extra $20 means way more to them than it does to me. 

Typically $100-$125 for 4 hours. Wife will get the older one asleep and leave the babysitter with the baby. She'll get him down quickly too. She will usually clean the house when the kids are both asleep, woman is the bomb, needs to be taken care of.

Hopefully you all have nanny cams too - we've got a summer infant one, it's old as #### since we got it when our soon to be 4 year old was born, but still works well - I'd recommend the brand for some of their newer stuff.

Typically $100-$125 for 4 hours. Wife will get the older one asleep and leave the babysitter with the baby. She'll get him down quickly too. She will usually clean the house when the kids are both asleep, woman is the bomb, needs to be taken care of.

Hopefully you all have nanny cams too - we've got a summer infant one, it's old as #### since we got it when our soon to be 4 year old was born, but still works well - I'd recommend the brand for some of their newer stuff.
We have this. I've been happy with it. https://www.arlo.com/en-us/

Holy crap, I'm not even gonna send my kids to college, just gonna have them babysit your guys kids in the future!

I pay $2 for 1st kid a $1 after every other kid and they're more than happy.

If you feel the need to spy on your babysitter, I suggest keep searching for one who you feel comfortable enough to ditch the surveillance.  
This is just wildly incorrect IMO. I get to see when the kids are sleeping, what they're doing, etc.

Also, there are some horror stories out there about very well trusted babysitters &/or live-ins.

My peace of mind with my kids might be different than what you have with your kids.

When you get home, do you watch hours of recorded tape to see if anything went awry during the time you were gone?

Holy crap, I'm not even gonna send my kids to college, just gonna have them babysit your guys kids in the future!

I pay $2 for 1st kid a $1 after every other kid and they're more than happy.
"They" = who?

when I was like 10... in the 70s... a neighbor paid me $2/hour for a couple hours to watch their sleeping baby while they went to a party at my parents house. Seemed low to me... as a 10 year old... in the 70s.

Users who are viewing this thread