Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Otis

Have you been posting here for longer than a decade?

Have you been posting here for longer than a decade?  

400 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 minute ago, Uruk-Hai said:

It was probably Peak FFA, but didn't last very long. Very shortly he descended into joining music drafts. He did choose "Pac Man Fever" in a 1st round, though, IIRC.

I remember him getting very cranky when I pointed out that 2 of the 9 CFL teams had virtually the same name.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Koya said:

I recall a rash of somewhat "random" bannings and time outs like 10 years back.  Do we still have signatures? I believe the last time I changed mine was done around one of them purges.  Personally, I think it's been over 10 years since I had sigs turned on. :coffee: 

ps: Still no idea wtf these 3 warning points are. 

I think we all start with 3 warning points as a default. Joe's way of reminding us we are all born sinners. 

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, Leroy Hoard said:

I remember him getting very cranky when I pointed out that 2 of the 9 CFL teams had virtually the same name.

He was generally cranky and admittedly smelly and underemployed but he would have made a certain segment of today's current political posters his playthings.

• Like 3

Yo Mama been here since old yeller.  My first post was probably either something NBA related or some draft-something thread (which still account for 90% of my posts). 

My my favorite thread ever is the Russian bride draft. 

How much time I would waste here before stupid work started blocking the site. 

• Like 1

Over 90% of respondents have been here more than a decade. That can't be a good sign for business growth. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, roadkill1292 said:

He was generally cranky and admittedly smelly and underemployed but he would have made a certain segment of today's current political posters his playthings.

Totally his default setting.  The loveable crank.  

Well, that's at least 1/2 correct. 

Edited by Koya
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Otis said:

Over 90% of respondents have been here more than a decade. That can't be a good sign for business growth. 

Fantasy Football is in decline. It's also why NFL viewership is down. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Koya said:

Your first period?

One never forgets.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Otis said:

You're probably right, but I bet there are way more new folks in the SP. Plus, a thread titled like this is like moths to a flame for the long-timers

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Uruk-Hai said:

You're probably right, but I bet there are way more new folks in the SP. Plus, a thread titled like this is like moths to a flame for the long-timers

As I and others have stated, this place was cliquey and "tough to break into" 10 years ago. Heck, I remember it feeling like that almost 20 years ago!

Jumping from the warm waters of the shark pool to the cold harsh arctic that is the FFA can't be easy nowadays.  

FFA Membership drive? :suds:

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, roadkill1292 said:

This exchange seems odd - isn't he posting in the thread right now or do I have my aliases mixed up again?

• Like 1

First posted in 2004 with this handle, had a username prior to 2003 that got lost. I remember being pissed because this is a 5 digit member number. Hard to believe that's a dozen years ago. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Koya said:

:lol:

Saw a thread about the DC trivia cornhole. This was at the National Press Club every month. We used to do really well with our team of four. They would give you gift certificates to their fancy restaurant. My last week in DC we cashed in like $300 and ate like kings. It was awesome. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ClownCausedChaos2 said:

Is there an easy way to find your first post?

Not it it was circa 199whatever. That's for sure.  I guess these go back to what, 2006 or so? Whichever was the first migration that was not lost in the future.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, AAABatteries said:

This exchange seems odd - isn't he posting in the thread right now or do I have my aliases mixed up again?

Smoo's edges have softened as we collectively enter our golden years.  

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, AAABatteries said:

??? PM me, I can keep  a secret.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Otis said:

But the respondents are sticky.

Old and sticky.

So there's that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Uruk-Hai said:

Otis is just trying to rack up some sweet Karma points for his cakeday.

Wait, which website am I on again?

• Like 1

Moved from commishing fantasy hoops leagues using USA Today weekly updates to a spreadsheet on my Apple IIc to fantasy football in 2001, and found this place.  Then it was just a matter of time before I wandered into the FFA and found people talking on the innernets about boobs, AOL, Anna Nicole Smith, beer, and Best Buy.  

We sucked back then, hardly a link in the hooters thread....maybe that wasn't a thing yet?

• Like 1

I was around 2004 aka GATOR HATER. I left the U.S. to serve our country. I came back to states a couple years ago and tried to reclaim my old name. But anyway.... Remember the thread "Best Hooters"?

• Like 4

Joined July 11, 2003. 

I remember the envy I had for the the 2 & 3-digit members.

Also remember the grief and general disregard that some 5-digit members would get from certain community members. Good times. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Otis said:

Do young people even post in forums anymore?  I thought they all used Facebook and Reddit and god knows whatever else.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, James Daulton said:

Do young people even post in forums anymore?  I thought they all used Facebook and Reddit and god knows whatever else.

Instagram. It's all instagram now.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, bizkliz said:

Joined July 11, 2003. 

I remember the envy I had for the the 2 & 3-digit members.

Also remember the grief and general disregard that some 5-digit members would get from certain community members. Good times. 

It was better than Dr Seuss Star Bellied Sneetches story. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, shuke said:

What's all this now?

Yeah... That was a late night typo.  Must have just had you on the mind...  that was Shick!...  Shick!, Shuke.. Whatever.. ;)

• Like 1

20 hours ago, joffer said:

I remember fucla 

Can someone tell me why Em liked this post?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Hooper31 said:

When these threads pop up from time to time makes me go back and find my first post on rec.sport.football.fantasy (RSFF) from 1995. Post about Joey Galloway being a potential rookie of the year. It was a series of posts there that grabbed Joe's eye and led him to invite me to join his team. I think it was a series of posts correlating draft position to fantasy production. 

Haven't been to RSFF in years, but I'm still in a league with some of the guys who hung out there in the late 90s.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Otis said:

2006-2009 this place was amazing. 

That's when you weren't "soft",  right? When you hadn't thrown in the towel... 

• Like 5

19 hours ago, Koya said:

Cheatsheets.net, various shades of yeller and blue. Honorary founding member of baseball-tangent.com 

was more of an FFTODAY guy before this millennium began until I had one board outage too many there.  The next 17 or whatever years were spent here. 

This

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Otis said:

2006-2009 this place was amazing. 

When was our navy blazer cornhole?

• Like 1

Was part of the Game Recap crew the first couple years FBG added subscription content.  It was fun, mostly because we were a little ahead of the TV networks on our depth of fantasy coverage.  We might have been first to market tracking the number of times a QB threw at a WR/TE/RB in addition to reporting the number of catches.  That number is now known as "targets", but back then there wasn't an official name for it yet.  I know that's the word we all ended up using, but there wasn't a standard.  Occasionally you would see FOX put up "Thrown To" on the screen next to a WR's catches and yards.  

It was exciting being on the frontier back then, making it up as we were going along, yet creating a meaningful asymmetry of information.  

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, shuke said:

When was our navy blazer cornhole?

Had to be in that time frame.

• Like 1

There are no new members in the FFA in the last 2-3 years and none on the way, Shark Pool prob declining users too.

Safe bet when the NFL has declining viewership, a site titled "Footballguys" will suffer along with it. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, fantasycurse42 said:

There are no new members in the FFA in the last 2-3 years and none on the way, Shark Pool prob declining users too.

Safe bet when the NFL has declining viewership, a site titled "Footballguys" will suffer along with it. 

Thanks Posty

• Like 3

Not really sure what year I started posting here. I remember Cheetsheets and Ol' Yeller. Definitely last century. Whatever year I started fantasy football. Very glad I found the FFA. It's the best place on the internet.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, James Daulton said:

This is actually a great point. And probably means that this place will become extinct at some point. Never really thought about that. It's  just going to end up with all the top posters dying off in the next 30 or 40 years and eventually will just fizzle out. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Otis said:

This is actually a great point. And probably means that this place will become extinct at some point. Never really thought about that. It's  just going to end up with all the top posters dying off in the next 30 or 40 years and eventually will just fizzle out. 

We should all throw a couple hundred bucks into a trust and the last surviving FBG gets it.

• Like 5