What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Just ate at Joe's Kansas City BBQ (1 Viewer)

JohnnyU

Footballguy
Best brisket and ribs I've ever had, love the sauce too.  Wasn't crazy about their potato salad, but their red beans and rice, fries, and gumbo were excellent.  We shared several items.  The place is a gas station that sells BBQ.  Absolutely Awesome!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Had Joe's (different location) for dinner tonight.  My favorite KC BBQ, and it's a deep and talented field.  

Glad you had a great time and a great meal!

Family stopped there on our way through town on a road trip a few years ago. You know you are in for a treat when there's a long line out the door of a gas station.  

:thumbup:

I went out of my way to stop at Joe's on a Sunday after a wedding the night before at KU. We were hungover and on our way back to St. Louis. Got there and it was closed. Ate at Wendy's instead.

Never been to Joes, and I'll be in KC twice this coming spring for soccer tournaments. We went to Q39 last time and that was great.
Q39 is fantastic.  Not as big a name as the "Big Four" (Gates, Jack Stack, Arthur Bryant's, Joe's) , but they are on a HOF trajectory.

Another less-famous name that's really good is Jon Russell.  If either of those tournaments is at the Scheels Overland Park Soccer Complex, the Jon Russell restaurant is about a mile away.

Q39 is fantastic.  Not as big a name as the "Big Four" (Gates, Jack Stack, Arthur Bryant's, Joe's) , but they are on a HOF trajectory.

Another less-famous name that's really good is Jon Russell.  If either of those tournaments is at the Scheels Overland Park Soccer Complex, the Jon Russell restaurant is about a mile away.
Yeah we'll for sure have some games over there. Bookmarking this thread. Thanks!

Yeah we'll for sure have some games over there. Bookmarking this thread. Thanks!
Nice!  Yeah, that soccer complex triggered a restaurant boom in that part of town.  

As you get closer to tournament time, either bump this thread or PM me if you want any suggestions for BBQ or anything else in the area.

Was there this past summer and had the Z man at Joe's- fantastic, can't wait to go back.  Also ate at Aurthur Bryant's.. it was pretty good too.

Was there this past summer and had the Z man at Joe's- fantastic, can't wait to go back.  Also ate at Aurthur Bryant's.. it was pretty good too.
I will be back in KC the first week of June.  My mouth is already watering.  I enjoyed both of these tremendously last summer.  Is it worth branching out to try other's:  Jack Stack, Gates, Q39, BB's Lawnside, LC's... too damn many to choose from.    There is a place called Plowboys within walking distance of my hotel.  Is that place any good?  I'll gladly go back to Joe's or AB's.  I don't want to go elsewhere if they aren't as good and regret missing these.  Anything unique at the myriad of other places that should be experienced?

@Bruce Dickinson

I will be back in KC the first week of June.  My mouth is already watering.  I enjoyed both of these tremendously last summer.  Is it worth branching out to try other's:  Jack Stack, Gates, Q39, BB's Lawnside, LC's... too damn many to choose from.    There is a place called Plowboys within walking distance of my hotel.  Is that place any good?  I'll gladly go back to Joe's or AB's.  I don't want to go elsewhere if they aren't as good and regret missing these.  Anything unique at the myriad of other places that should be experienced?

@Bruce Dickinson
Plowboys is fine. Not in the same category as the big 4. I also like Zardas, but still not quite in the same category. 

My favorite might be Q39.  

@Bruce Dickinson
You need to look at SLAPS. (Squeals Like A Pig).

It's in downtown Kansas City, KS.

Oh, and if you wanna have a beer, send a PM. What part of town you in?

Unrelated, but ate at Lexington BBQ while in Lexington NC last weekend visiting relatives.  First time in 10 years, still very good.

Chopped tray (coarse chopped, with some brown).  Pork shoulder, wood smoked.  Ate on de rigeur cheap ### bun, with a little slaw (vinegar not mayo) and a few drops of tabasco.  Hush puppies were really special.  Light, crisp, hot.

@Bruce Dickinson
You've pretty much got the list.  If any of those places are suggested to me, my reaction is "whose car we taking?  Need me to drive?"

I'm a big fan of Jon Russell's, but their restaurant is way out on the suburbs (southwest Overland Park, near Olathe).  They have a full board of sauces pairing a fruit flavor with a hot pepper flavor, and they will walk you through the escalation of heat.  

My favorite is Joe's.  That's the one I take out-of-town guests to who want to have KC BBQ.  If you want to try a place you haven't been to yet... Q39 or LC's.  Probably Q39.  But anything on your list is going to be really good.

I'll be in the Power and Light District...staying at the Crowne Plaza Downtown.

I'll be in the Power and Light District...staying at the Crowne Plaza Downtown.
SLAPS is really close to you. An easy cab ride across the river, like maybe a 5 minute ride from where you are staying.

What dates you gonna be in town? Lunch is the best bet there, but you have to get there early. Like 11:00 am. They will sell out if you wait too long.

Hell, I could pick you up and take you over there. I work about 8 minutes from your hotel.

Planning to go there tomorrow for dinner.  What is their signature dish?  Ribs? Brisket?  Burnt Ends? Pork?  Don't say chicken, because I am not ordering that.  Or do they do it all well?

Planning to go there tomorrow for dinner.  What is their signature dish?  Ribs? Brisket?  Burnt Ends? Pork?  Don't say chicken, because I am not ordering that.  Or do they do it all well?
They are good at all of it, but their pulled pork is really good.

Never had. Only Texas (great) and Alabama (also great). We have some local knockoffs here in Portland but it's not the same. I'd love to go to KC someday just for the bbq, also the Carolinas heard it's mustardy, and maybe Memphis.
Honestly Memphis BBQ Joints are largely overrated. There are a few that churn out above average product, but the area's inability to produce decent brisket is very frustrating. 

Eastern SC style is Mustardy and phenomenal. Once you've had a GOOD mustard base sauce on pork, it's difficult to go back to tomato base. 

Western SC and much of NC is a simpler vinegar base, which is excellent in it's own right.

Texas is my personal favorite, currently. 

KC is very good, but a bit overrated IMO. That said I've not explored the region as well as I should for my opinion to carry any real weight. 

KC BBQ>Everything else
I'm lucky to have a fantastic BBQ place just down the street from me. I know, I know ... BBQ in New England? But this place has drawn rave reviews in the decade it's been open. Even Gordon Ramsay stopped by and said the brisket was "perfect."

That said, KC BBQ is tremendous. We had intended to go to Bryant's when we were there, but it was jammed, so we went to Gates instead. Wish we had tried Joe's, after all the reviews here and elsewhere.

Guess I might have to go grab a brisket sandwich for dinner. :wub:

Honestly Memphis BBQ Joints are largely overrated. There are a few that churn out above average product, but the area's inability to produce decent brisket is very frustrating. 

Eastern SC style is Mustardy and phenomenal. Once you've had a GOOD mustard base sauce on pork, it's difficult to go back to tomato base. 

Western SC and much of NC is a simpler vinegar base, which is excellent in it's own right.

Texas is my personal favorite, currently. 

KC is very good, but a bit overrated IMO. That said I've not explored the region as well as I should for my opinion to carry any real weight. 
I'm never one of those guys who will puff out my chest and proclaim that KC has the best BBQ in the world. To me, the beauty of BBQ is the regional aspect of it. The different techniques and flavors handed down from generations of people using recipes derived from what was available.

KC's strength is that it excels in so many DIFFERENT cuts of meat: brisket, pork shoulder, ribs, chicken, etc. So many possibilities and all good stuff.

I just love good BBQ - no matter where it comes from.

You've pretty much got the list.  If any of those places are suggested to me, my reaction is "whose car we taking?  Need me to drive?"

I'm a big fan of Jon Russell's, but their restaurant is way out on the suburbs (southwest Overland Park, near Olathe).  They have a full board of sauces pairing a fruit flavor with a hot pepper flavor, and they will walk you through the escalation of heat.  

My favorite is Joe's.  That's the one I take out-of-town guests to who want to have KC BBQ.  If you want to try a place you haven't been to yet... Q39 or LC's.  Probably Q39.  But anything on your list is going to be really good.
Had Jon Russell's for first time today. Solid burnt ends and sausage. Enjoyed the raspberry jalapeño BBQ sauce.   

Any ideas on when Q39 is going to open in the old Haywards location?  And has anyone tried Haywards at their new home?

I have not, but it's really close to my house. I have heard it is really, really good.
Used to go to Haywards before the fireworks at Corporate Woods.  I was a pretty big fan. 

We really have piss poor BBQ in Lawrence. 

Had Jon Russell's for first time today. Solid burnt ends and sausage. Enjoyed the raspberry jalapeño BBQ sauce.   

Any ideas on when Q39 is going to open in the old Haywards location?  And has anyone tried Haywards at their new home?
Good question on the OP Q39.   They've been renovating for over a year.  The press release announcing the takeover said they were targeting a Spring 2017 opening, which I suppose could technically still happen.

Haven't been to the new Hayward's... first time I went to the old one Hayward was in the restaurant holding court of a table of at least 12.  He was wearing a purple suit with white pinstripes, a gold medallion I'm pretty sure was once the plot of an Indiana Jones movie, and no shirt.  His jacket was buttoned so he made it work. He was telling a story about working as Harry Belafonte's bodyguard.  I was all, "now there's a man living the dream."

Users who are viewing this thread