What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How long will chili stay good for in the fridge? (1 Viewer)

Baloney Sandwich

Footballguy
I made some chili last Friday for a party and the leftovers is in my fridge.  Thinking about heating it up for lunch as I'm assuming it is still okay to eat.  Am I wrong?

I made some chili last Friday for a party and the leftovers is in my fridge.  Thinking about heating it up for lunch as I'm assuming it is still okay to eat.  Am I wrong?
My wife would say three days -- I'd probably eat it. Might be a good idea to heat it up a bit higher / longer before you do though.

Baloney Sandwich said:
Yeah, that is what I'm going to do
Huffington Post says 4 days GB.  Enjoy the hallucinations and report back. If you make it back.

My wife basically will eat anything unless mold is on it.  She's very much of the "it's still good!"   :homer:    mindset.    Me on the other hand, is a 3 day and chuck kinda guy.

Then again, she grew up in a mixed family, at times poor.  I grew up as a Long Island Jew.  

I have gone over a week with chili many times.  Actually tastes better..
Due to the tomato content, I'd imaging Chili should go a bit longer since the acidity would prevent / deter bacterial growth. Which is why you can keep ketchup unrefridgerated.  Not that I do. 

Due to the tomato content, I'd imaging Chili should go a bit longer since the acidity would prevent / deter bacterial growth. Which is why you can keep ketchup unrefridgerated.  Not that I do. 
This is what I was going to say . Tomato - based foods and sauces will naturally fight off bacteria . Week-old chili should be fine . 

My wife basically will eat anything unless mold is on it.  She's very much of the "it's still good!"   :homer:    mindset.    Me on the other hand, is a 3 day and chuck kinda guy.

Then again, she grew up in a mixed family, at times poor.  I grew up as a Long Island Jew.  
Think of all the shekels you are just throwing in the trash.

Think of all the shekels you are just throwing in the trash.
Not nearly as painful as the not yet even cooked Whole Foods stuff my wife buys with good intent and then lets rot in the fridge.  Might as well just burn my wallet. 

2 weeks no prob.  Third week look at it sideways but still consume.  If longer than 3 weeks you should have frozen anyway, so that's on you. 

Stays good for quite a while once mold starts forming at top take a spoon and scoop it out.  Then microwave and eat.   rinse and repeat process til chili is gone.  Done this all my life and never got sick from it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread