What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official Chicago Bulls Thread: Pick #7 third year in a row (1 Viewer)

Evilgrin 72 said:
Well, barring a tragic win in the last game of the season or some ping-pong ball luck, looks like the 7 pick.  Assuming the mocks are right and Ayton, Porter, Bagley, Doncic, Jaren Jackson, and Bamba go 1-6, that leaves us looking squarely at Trae Young sitting there at #7.  Would you draft him?  Is he the next Curry or a guy that got really hot for a short time?  Would he make for a platoon at the PG spot with Dunn in an offense/defense type of thing, and how would Dunn react to that?  Can you have two no-defense chuckers on the court at the same time in Young and Lavine, and would drafting Young mean they bite the bullet and let Lavine walk (highly doubt it.)

I'd vastly prefer to have a pivot like Bamba or Ayton or a scoring wing that can stroke it like Doncic or Porter, but all those guys will be gone by #7.
I've loved Doncic before the dude was popular but unfortunately we won't get him unless he falls. My love for him is similar to what I had for Mirotic before we drafted him. I watch maybe a bit more international ball then most and both players were Real Madrid guys. Wished Niko worked out but he had consistency issues and I don't think he was ever used to his proper ability. I wouldn't draft Young at all. Incredible poor Defense and honestly I feel he has inflated stats playing at Oklahoma. I don't want Porter and honestly don't get the hype over him, plus he's coming off a bad back injury. I want Bridges out of Nova (that's my biased pick given I live 15 mins from Nova) but Ayton or Bamba would be great. NFLdraft.net has this as their top ten. I wan't no part in Bagley I see him as another Okafor. I want this team to be good again because I live in Philly and a huge Bulls fan but I cheer for the Eagles/Flyers/Phillies. I can't stand the 76ers fans these days. I do love them mocking us at 20 with the Big Rague from Nova'. Underrated player for sure. I don't get these mock's giving us a PG. I'm more then satisfied with Kris Dunn. I think he just needed time and more playing time then e had in Minn. He may never be a great shooter but if he can get a shot that's consistent and get a big better at the Charity Line I'm more then happy with him considering the Defense he gives us. I would love Ayton though. I think we need a big who protects the rim but we also need a Win SF. I'd be perfectly fine maybe having Lauri at C if they drafted another PF though. 

NBADraft net mock

At this point, I think I'd prefer Mikal Bridges, Wendell Carter, Jr. or even Shai Gilgeous-Alexander over Young.  I've seen Young the least of those four players though.  I might change my opinion later.

Anyway, I have a bad feeling the Bulls are going to win tonight.

Juxtatarot said:
At this point, I think I'd prefer Mikal Bridges, Wendell Carter, Jr. or even Shai Gilgeous-Alexander over Young.  I've seen Young the least of those four players though.  I might change my opinion later.

Anyway, I have a bad feeling the Bulls are going to win tonight.
I might be one of the few people who doesn't agree with Tanking and let me explain myself before someone goes off. I live in Philly so Ive seen close hand the Sixers tank. First I'll go where why the Sixers succeeded here. They got incredible lucky on their draft pick of Embiid. If he wasn't hurt he'd be a Cavalier or T'Wolve right now. Second I think Simmons being hurt last year helped him mature a bit. At least in some of his interviews and play its not all about him anymore (most of the time) and he's not looking for the flashy pass like he did in college or not passing only if he knows he can get an assist. I still think he's not gonna be great if he can't get better at the line or hit a consistent jumper. The Sixers also got lucky on some trades. never would've traded the Lakers pick for MCW if I was the Bucks. That was absolutely dumb. The Kings got ransacked in their trade with the 76ers and the Bulls kind of got screwed as well when they tried to trade Gasol the Bulls got screwed. This is why I hate Protected picks. You shouldn't be able to trade a pick you already traded. The other thing the 76ers did that David Stern allowed was the 76ers to basically strip their team down bare. Literally besides maybe a few guys they needed they made their team as worse as possible to lose as many games at they could. The difference between Chicago and PHI though is CHI had a way bette trade asset to get better fast so they weren't gonna be a bottom 4 team. They brought back Niko instead of letting him go and with Butler they acquired more assets in terms of building blocks in Lauri and Lavine and Dunn. Those 3 individually are much better then any 5 starting line up combined PHI had that first year. With Silver he's trying to stop tanking at all cost. WHat's ironic here is the vote that happened to change the draft lottery for next year the Sixers when the vote first came up voted no on it. After they tanked enough and got Ben they voted yes to change it up. They also tanked at the right time I guess but it shouldn't have taken that long honestly. I actually was on an SEC board where they talked everything from Baseball/Basketball/Football and at least 5 people who claimed to have sources from Kentucky said that Noel had been cleared to play in February of his first season but Philly held him out the rest of the year to accumulate as many losses as possible. Even Noel himself said he was healthy to play.

Going back why I don't like tanking is I've researched it and seen a few articles on this with backed up data. There was a study and research paper posted online by a group of students from UMASS. Basically they said a rookie lottery pick no matter who doesn't impact the team as much as people think. To footnote the study the bad teams stayed bad and the good teams got better. It's a matter of first your ownership and FO and how good it is. The Bulls FO well we all know what category Gar/Pax are in and what JR cares about ownership wise. Basically if you have bad FO no matter how hard you tank you will stay bad. Your tank you need to impact your player moves you can make before and after the draft and during the season. Player movement from FA signings and their contract length/$$ as well as players waived. Trades who you bring in and trade and how you draft. Tanking in the NBA for that Rookie I've come to terms isn't as impactful as many think. Everyone loves to bring up needing a Superstar and if you aren't a big market team you need to tank for that star. Not true. Lack of player development is a huge problem.The NBA's issue is and always has been the fact it never had a hard cap like the NFL and teams can go over the cap to sign players. I also think the draft lottery and protecting picks enables teams to tank. I think if we had a hard cap and gave NBA Players more of the revenue for taking away Max deals we could solve some of these issues. The Bulls are not a small market team and really shouldn't have to tank. We just have an owner and team for yrs who penny pinches and won't sign big names. I've argued with Sixers fans for yrs about how the Bulls are run. People will always go back to saying how the lottery was rigged so Rose could play for his Home town team however they won't believe for one second it was rigged so the Cavs could get Lebron or Kyrie so Lebron would go back to Cleveland. Outside of Dennis Rodman their biggest FA signing was Carlos Boozer then Pau Gasol. This team just isn't willing to spend money. I also think letting Thibs go was a huge mistake. Gar/Pax let him go simple because he wasn't a yes man. 

This team and franchise these days is so frustrating for me. For a huge die hard like myself who does everything to watch every game from another city these days it almost feels like I'm wasting my time. They don't care about us fans. The Bulls are a popular big market franchise who shouldn't have to resort to this BS. 

If Sacto wins tonight, we could get pick 6. I think it goes to a drawing if two teams finish tied. 

If the Kings win tonight and then win the drawing over Chicago, with as long as we waited for them to be even respectable to get that 1st rounder from the Salmons trade that never conveyed, I'm going to be pissed. 

If Sacto wins tonight, we could get pick 6. I think it goes to a drawing if two teams finish tied. 

If the Kings win tonight and then win the drawing over Chicago, with as long as we waited for them to be even respectable to get that 1st rounder from the Salmons trade that never conveyed, I'm going to be pissed. 
Are you thinking of the Bobcats' pick in the Tyrus Thomas trade? Or maybe the Kings' pick that we got from Cavs in the Deng trade that became the 2nd they sold?  I don't believe there were any picks in the Nocioni/Salmons/MIller, etc. trade.

Anyway, a week or two ago it looked like the Bulls might get the 8th or 9th pick so it's nice to see all this tanking down the stretch pay some dividends.  

If these tankathon odds are right, the Bulls have a 18.3% chance at a top 3 pick.  Not too bad!

Are you thinking of the Bobcats' pick in the Tyrus Thomas trade? Or maybe the Kings' pick that we got from Cavs in the Deng trade that became the 2nd they sold?  I don't believe there were any picks in the Nocioni/Salmons/MIller, etc. trade.

Anyway, a week or two ago it looked like the Bulls might get the 8th or 9th pick so it's nice to see all this tanking down the stretch pay some dividends.  

If these tankathon odds are right, the Bulls have a 18.3% chance at a top 3 pick.  Not too bad!
Here's all the NBA draft picks per team that are incoming and outgoing that were not their's to begin with. Also Didn't we trade the Sac pick we got from Cleveland? 

NBA Incoming and outgoing Draft picks own by teams

Maybe I'm mis-remembering what trade it was, but we had a SAC 1st rounder that had protections on it that failed to convey for like 5-6 years. The protection scaled back every year until (I believe) 2017, when it became a 2nd rounder. They sucked so hard every year that they never finished out of the top 10.

ETA : I just looked it up, you're right, it was the Deng trade. F'n Kings. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe I'm mis-remembering what trade it was, but we had a SAC 1st rounder that had protections on it that failed to convey for like 5-6 years. The protection scaled back every year until (I believe) 2017, when it became a 2nd rounder. They sucked so hard every year that they never finished out of the top 10.

The Bulls when trying to trade Gasol tried to acquire the pick swap if Kings finished with a worse record could swap picks that the Sixers got last year. Sixers were unwilling to play ball with Chicago which led to the Gasol to Sac trade not happening. Sixers didn't play ball. The Pick ended up being the #3 overall and they could've picked up Taytum possible Jackson, Fox or Even Issac. In other words either Butler likely would've stayed or he could've been traded for other assets without possible giving up the pick. The ironic thing in all of this the first vote on Draft reform the 76ers voted NO on for it to start and then last year voted yes for it to start after this season so they could finish their tank. 

Won the drawing, so justice is served. Bulls get #6, Kings #7. Same number of ping pong balls but 6 vs 7 could be big if no one jumps up from the back. I'm in Orlando every day and hear a lot of rumors that they're going to take Young at #5, meaning one of Bamba, Jaren Jackson, Bagley, or Porter should be there at 6. All depends who you like, I suppose. 

Won the drawing, so justice is served. Bulls get #6, Kings #7. Same number of ping pong balls but 6 vs 7 could be big if no one jumps up from the back. I'm in Orlando every day and hear a lot of rumors that they're going to take Young at #5, meaning one of Bamba, Jaren Jackson, Bagley, or Porter should be there at 6. All depends who you like, I suppose. 
Whens the actual lottery? 

There were a few interesting quotes Paxson gave in his recent press conference that might give us some clues on what they might do with their draft pick:

I feel really good about going into next season with Kris Dunn as our starter and Cameron Payne as our backup
Paxson didn't state anything like this for the other positions.  If Paxson were super high on Trae Young or Collin Sexton would he make this comment?  I don't think he would.

I think we need to look at the wing position. That would be an ideal spot. Size and length at the wing as a shooting component, a defensive component, would be something that, if you’re looking at an area we would like to improve, that would be it
Doesn't this just scream Mikal Bridges?  He's also the type of experienced collegiate player from a successful program that they like to pick.  

but it’s hard to overlook talent even when you’re looking at a specific need
I think Bridges might be the consolation prize if all of the top guys they like are already selected.  If Marvin Bagley, Jaren Jackson, Mo Bamba, and/or Michael Porter are available (and at least one will be if they get #6), they will likely draft that talent.  Otherwise, it's Bridges.

There were a few interesting quotes Paxson gave in his recent press conference that might give us some clues on what they might do with their draft pick:

Paxson didn't state anything like this for the other positions.  If Paxson were super high on Trae Young or Collin Sexton would he make this comment?  I don't think he would.

Doesn't this just scream Mikal Bridges?  He's also the type of experienced collegiate player from a successful program that they like to pick.  

I think Bridges might be the consolation prize if all of the top guys they like are already selected.  If Marvin Bagley, Jaren Jackson, Mo Bamba, and/or Michael Porter are available (and at least one will be if they get #6), they will likely draft that talent.  Otherwise, it's Bridges.
I want nothing to do with Begley. He screams Okafor to me. MPJ I don't want because back injuries scare me I've be ok Bamba/Ayton. However all of this screams Bridges to me. I think Bridges can and could be better then a lot of the guys drafted before him. He's incredible developed and has a great IQ for the game already. Plays within a team system already and even took a back seat at times for Nova for other players do to match up Jay likes to play or another reason. He's incredible likable and always says the right things. 

Also can we just trade Payne for a pile of Dog#### or some new jockstraps and basketballs? I can't stand this guy. I'm not too upset because had we not gotten rid of Taj maybe Lauri doesn't develop as well this year. I'm more PO'd that we basically traded McDermott a guy we traded essentially Joseph Nurkic and Gary Harris for. Two guys who'd have been great additions to the team for a poor man Kyle Korver. Might go down as one of Gar/Pax worst trades up there with the Tyrus Thomas/LaMarcus ALdrige one. 

So I think I may have past by the Heat team buses yesterday in the city. It was around like 3:45 or so. Assemble Suites roof top I think the hotel is called. I took one of the City Bus Tours same company as I did with Toronto the hop on hop off tour. Didn't get off anywhere just did the 90min ride along tour considering the time of day it was plus I was meeting my brother at a certain time later. Anyway the reason I think that was because I saw like 10 or so people roped off outside. A few with basketballs and it looked like stuff for people to sign. However by the time I noticed any of that I couldn't get a good look inside the buses. Dark windows and they were too far away. Tried to make out any security guys possible with a team logo or something. Buses were your typical Greyhound type buses. I didn't really see any news crews or anything and the Hotel lobby seemed pretty quiet. If it was I was really hoping to see Wade so I could shout "Go Bulls" at him and see if he looked up or anything. Again I couldn't exactly tell but 3:45 or so seems late for a team to get into a city for a big game. Plus to get from Mia to Philly direct flight is 3Hrs long. 

Whoever negotiated that pick protection for the Bulls should have known better. 

Whoever negotiated that pick protection for the Bulls should have known better. 
I hate pick protections in general. It's almost like teams are allowed to trade the same draft pick multiple times. I say get rid of pick protection and let teams sink or swim on their own. Stop babysitting terrible GMs 

I hate pick protections in general. It's almost like teams are allowed to trade the same draft pick multiple times. I say get rid of pick protection and let teams sink or swim on their own. Stop babysitting terrible GMs 
Early first round picks are so valuable these days that if you eliminate pick protection, you'll see a lot less trades for draft picks.

Early first round picks are so valuable these days that if you eliminate pick protection, you'll see a lot less trades for draft picks.
It makes GM's think before a move. However if you want to keep it then make it top 10. I feel like it makes teams who traded the pick and aren't good it enables them to tank a little or intentionally lose games so they don't have to give up the pick. 

There's a report that one of the Bulls top Prospect targets is Luca Doncic. 
I think he’s one of every team’s top prospects. It will take a top 2 or 3 pick to get him. Maybe the Bulls get lucky in the lottery. More likely the Bulls will draft Mikal Bridges, Bamba or Carter.

I think he’s one of every team’s top prospects. It will take a top 2 or 3 pick to get him. Maybe the Bulls get lucky in the lottery. More likely the Bulls will draft Mikal Bridges, Bamba or Carter.
Honestly if it took both our picks to move up to 2 to draft him I would. The dude is that good. I'm fine if Bridges as a consolation prize though. 

Honestly if it took both our picks to move up to 2 to draft him I would. The dude is that good. I'm fine if Bridges as a consolation prize though. 
I don't think anyone's trading #2 for 6 and 22, but who knows? I'm sure Bridges is going to be the pick, which is fine, but I think I'd be happier if they took a swing on a guy that might be a franchise changer. I don't think Bridges is that guy, but he's a very high floor prospect with a game that fits in today's NBA and could help immediately. I guess I'm just not sold on any of Markkanen, LaVine, or Dunn as a player that can be the best player on a championship team. Porter, Bagley, Young, Bamba - all those guys have flaws and high (much higher than Bridges) bust potential, but each could be a franchise player if he hits his higher ceiling. 

I don't think anyone's trading #2 for 6 and 22, but who knows? I'm sure Bridges is going to be the pick, which is fine, but I think I'd be happier if they took a swing on a guy that might be a franchise changer. I don't think Bridges is that guy, but he's a very high floor prospect with a game that fits in today's NBA and could help immediately. I guess I'm just not sold on any of Markkanen, LaVine, or Dunn as a player that can be the best player on a championship team. Porter, Bagley, Young, Bamba - all those guys have flaws and high (much higher than Bridges) bust potential, but each could be a franchise player if he hits his higher ceiling. 
Bagley watching him reminds me too much of Okafor. Porter's back injury scares me. Don't care what Drs say. We aren't at a point of desperation of needed franchise turning talent. We already have some talent on the team. However I wouldn't be opposed to Bamba. Young I'm not sold on. Seemed to fall off at the end of season in bigger games and teams went after him more. Porter in his short time of playing in College didn't show me a thing to be drafted. I think he should've stayed another year to prove he was healthy and worth a lottery pick. 

Bagley watching him reminds me too much of Okafor. Porter's back injury scares me. Don't care what Drs say. We aren't at a point of desperation of needed franchise turning talent. We already have some talent on the team. However I wouldn't be opposed to Bamba. Young I'm not sold on. Seemed to fall off at the end of season in bigger games and teams went after him more. Porter in his short time of playing in College didn't show me a thing to be drafted. I think he should've stayed another year to prove he was healthy and worth a lottery pick. 
Porter was the presumptive #1 pick in this draft coming into last season. The only reason he'd be on the board at 6 is because of the back injury. I believe the pre-draft process will flesh out his health or lack thereof, but back issues are often recurring and are certainly troubling. However, no on else in the class can match his combination of size, shooting, and ability to create off the dribble. He'd be a matchup nightmare for opposing 3s if he's right. 

On Bagley, I'm not sure where your comparison comes from except that both guys do most of their damage down low. Okafor is a plodder who can't rebound or play defense and is at his best in the rapidly disappearing half court sets with his back to the basket. Bagley is an elite athlete at 6' 11" who is at his best in transition and attacking the hoop off the bounce. I think Bagley is a far better prospect who, if he can develop a reliable outside jumper, will be virtually unstoppable offensively. He's a far better rebounder than Okafor, though he does display questionable defensive instincts at times. I feel like coaching on that end will help him far more than Okafor, simply because Bagley possesses the physical tools to be a good defender, which Okafor does not. 

And justice is NOT served. :hot:

Porter was the presumptive #1 pick in this draft coming into last season. The only reason he'd be on the board at 6 is because of the back injury. I believe the pre-draft process will flesh out his health or lack thereof, but back issues are often recurring and are certainly troubling. However, no on else in the class can match his combination of size, shooting, and ability to create off the dribble. He'd be a matchup nightmare for opposing 3s if he's right. 

On Bagley, I'm not sure where your comparison comes from except that both guys do most of their damage down low. Okafor is a plodder who can't rebound or play defense and is at his best in the rapidly disappearing half court sets with his back to the basket. Bagley is an elite athlete at 6' 11" who is at his best in transition and attacking the hoop off the bounce. I think Bagley is a far better prospect who, if he can develop a reliable outside jumper, will be virtually unstoppable offensively. He's a far better rebounder than Okafor, though he does display questionable defensive instincts at times. I feel like coaching on that end will help him far more than Okafor, simply because Bagley possesses the physical tools to be a good defender, which Okafor does not. 
If Thibs was still here I'd be fine with Bagley but I don't trust these coaches teaching Defense. I live in Philly and seen the Sixers take too many guys who had medicals and many didn't work out besides Embiid who's still injured. Back injuries are no joke either. I'd rather let someone else take a chance on MPJ and if it doesn't work out set their franchise back. Give me Bamba/Ayton/Doncic/Bridges before I take one of those two other guys. 

I f**king hate the Sacramento Kings. 
blame the stupid pick stipulation rules. Sacramento basically got to a a 1st to two different teams. Luckily the rules change next year at least for the lottery. Just too many teams this yrear trying to tank at once. We would've had to pull a 76ers from 5 yrs ago in order to have any chance. Our issue was we had a Star caliber player already. Think about it this way though. We basically Got Dunn a former lotto pick and probable PG of the future and Lauri Markanen in Back to back yrs. However if something funky were to happen in the first couple of picks and one of the top 2 guys drops if I'm the bulls I'm jumping on that and offering both picks. I just don't see with basically most of the team coming back how we fit two rookies on the team unless one is a Euro Draft and stash. 

If Thibs was still here I'd be fine with Bagley but I don't trust these coaches teaching Defense. I live in Philly and seen the Sixers take too many guys who had medicals and many didn't work out besides Embiid who's still injured. Back injuries are no joke either. I'd rather let someone else take a chance on MPJ and if it doesn't work out set their franchise back. Give me Bamba/Ayton/Doncic/Bridges before I take one of those two other guys. 
Bridges will likely be the only one of those guys on the board. Bamba might have made it to 6, but 7 is very unlikely. I think Doncic, Ayton, and Bagley will go 1-2-3 in some order. If you want MO at 7, you probably have to hope that Porter goes 4 or 5 (along with Jaren Jackson) and that Orlando takes Trae Young at 6. 

Most likely scenario, IMO, is that it's Bridges, Carter, and Porter that they'll be choosing between at 7. Possibly Young instead of Porter if Porter goes 4th or 5th and Orlando likes Bamba over Young. I think they love Young and need a PG, but they also love youth and length, and Bamba certainly fits that. 

Bridges will likely be the only one of those guys on the board. Bamba might have made it to 6, but 7 is very unlikely. I think Doncic, Ayton, and Bagley will go 1-2-3 in some order. If you want MO at 7, you probably have to hope that Porter goes 4 or 5 (along with Jaren Jackson) and that Orlando takes Trae Young at 6. 

Most likely scenario, IMO, is that it's Bridges, Carter, and Porter that they'll be choosing between at 7. Possibly Young instead of Porter if Porter goes 4th or 5th and Orlando likes Bamba over Young. I think they love Young and need a PG, but they also love youth and length, and Bamba certainly fits that. 
I have zero problems with Bridges. I've watched Nova for yrs and live about 15 mins off the highway from them in good traffic. I think Bridges could be better then at least 2 of these guys. He's already got the 3 and D down and given Hoiberg offensively could develop into a more well rounded Offensive players. 

I have zero problems with Bridges. I've watched Nova for yrs and live about 15 mins off the highway from them in good traffic. I think Bridges could be better then at least 2 of these guys. He's already got the 3 and D down and given Hoiberg offensively could develop into a more well rounded Offensive players. 
I like him too and he'll play a lot right away. Again, though, he's a high-floor / low-ceiling guy in my opinion. Floor is a rotation guy off the bench, ceiling is a long time starter. I don't see him ever being an All-Star unless he can learn (at age 22+) to create his own offense. He's primarily a catch and shoot guy. Porter is a high-ceiling / low floor guy. Upside is Durant-ish. Downside is oft-injured mega bust. 

Just depends how much they want to gamble. Do they feel lucky? If I know GarPax, they'll find some way to f*** it up regardless. 

I like him too and he'll play a lot right away. Again, though, he's a high-floor / low-ceiling guy in my opinion. Floor is a rotation guy off the bench, ceiling is a long time starter. I don't see him ever being an All-Star unless he can learn (at age 22+) to create his own offense. He's primarily a catch and shoot guy. Porter is a high-ceiling / low floor guy. Upside is Durant-ish. Downside is oft-injured mega bust. 

Just depends how much they want to gamble. Do they feel lucky? If I know GarPax, they'll find some way to f*** it up regardless. 
They'll take the safe route and not draft MPJ and he becomes the star. We draft him he becomes an oft injured mega bust. It's just the GarPax way unfortunately. If we keep both picks I want either Troy Brown or DZanan Musa 

I agree with all this and came here to post something almost identical.

I'll be happy if they draft Porter because it will be a sign that they liked what they saw in his workout and are OK with the medical stuff.  If they end up passing on him, though, I certainly won't complain.  We don't have the info they will.

I'm hoping Bamba slips although I agree it's doubtful.  I'm warming on Carter and his potential fit with Lauri.  Very little to dislike although his ceiling is a little lower.  If I had to put money on a pick, it would be on Bridges.  Fills a need and the Bulls like those experienced, successful, high character guys from quality programs. 

Last edited by a moderator:
They'll take the safe route and not draft MPJ and he becomes the star. We draft him he becomes an oft injured mega bust. It's just the GarPax way unfortunately. If we keep both picks I want either Troy Brown or DZanan Musa 
:lol: Exactly. Musa would be very interesting, if I'm thinking of the right guy. He's the young, string bean-thin kid from Croatia, right? 

The Kings made that jump only because they lost a "coin flip" (actually a separate drawing) in April with the Bulls. Had that coin flip gone the other way, Chicago owns the four-number combination in question and is picking No. 2.

The Kings made that jump only because they lost a "coin flip" (actually a separate drawing) in April with the Bulls. Had that coin flip gone the other way, Chicago owns the four-number combination in question and is picking No. 2.
It’s beyond dumb that the fate of franchises, and the careers of players and front office executives are all completely determined by this kind of stuff. 

Saw Vincent Goodwill tweet that. So dumb. 

SO trying to think of some realistic trades maybe the Bulls could do. I think a great thing for Chicago to do is trade for a young guy some team has soured on that fits the system. Robin Lopez to the Sixers for the 26th overall pick. Philly needs an actual back up C for Embiid and I think Ropez could mentor EMbiid into more maturity. Take DiVencenzo of Johntay Porter. If you want to make a bigger splash trade Lopez/Lavine/22nd overall to Philly or the 10th Pick, Covington and a contract like Jarryed Bayless. Philly can afford to give Lavine a max deal, in desperate need of a SG and could go into FA and grab a SF. Plus BC is stupid enough to do that trade and pay Zach a Max deal I did like the Lavine to the Kings for the 2 pick someone mentioned as well maybe trade 7 and 22 plus Lavine.

FA:

Check in on what it might take to grab Jabri Parker

Mario Herzonja would be a nice grab

If we want to make a huge splash and get rid of Lopez I'm all for getting Cousins

Julius Randle is another guy I'd check in on

Alex Len on.a buy low deal

I'd love Nerlens Noel

Glenn Robinson III is interesting

If Management wanted too and he wanted to Come back I'd be all for taking DRose back on a low end deal and backing up Dunn 

See if we can get Nurkic back? 

Kevin Looney 

SO trying to think of some realistic trades maybe the Bulls could do. I think a great thing for Chicago to do is trade for a young guy some team has soured on that fits the system. Robin Lopez to the Sixers for the 26th overall pick. Philly needs an actual back up C for Embiid and I think Ropez could mentor EMbiid into more maturity. Take DiVencenzo of Johntay Porter. If you want to make a bigger splash trade Lopez/Lavine/22nd overall to Philly or the 10th Pick, Covington and a contract like Jarryed Bayless. Philly can afford to give Lavine a max deal, in desperate need of a SG and could go into FA and grab a SF. Plus BC is stupid enough to do that trade and pay Zach a Max deal I did like the Lavine to the Kings for the 2 pick someone mentioned as well maybe trade 7 and 22 plus Lavine.

FA:

Check in on what it might take to grab Jabri Parker

Mario Herzonja would be a nice grab

If we want to make a huge splash and get rid of Lopez I'm all for getting Cousins

Julius Randle is another guy I'd check in on

Alex Len on.a buy low deal

I'd love Nerlens Noel

Glenn Robinson III is interesting

If Management wanted too and he wanted to Come back I'd be all for taking DRose back on a low end deal and backing up Dunn 

See if we can get Nurkic back? 

Kevin Looney 
Respectfully, I don’t agree with most of this.  

The Sixers have a lot of cap space. They will want to see if they can add a star. They won’t want to use a chunk of it on Lopez before free agency starts. Also, I don’t think the Bulls can trade LaVine at/before the draft. It would have to be a sign-and-trade in July.

Paxson has suggested the Bulls will sit out free agency this year. They could have a ton of cap space in 2019 when Asik and Lopez are off the books. The plan seems to be to focus on internal development next year. If the core shows promise, maybe they could be attractive to one or possibly even two quality free agents in 2019. Maybe they strike out but the idea makes a lot of sense to me.

I’m not sure any of the free agents you mention are ones that I’d want to eat into 2019 cap money.   Bulls should try to be a one-year contract dumping ground (contracts not extending past next season) for teams trying to free up space and try to get whatever assets they can from that.

The Sixers have a lot of cap space. They will want to see if they can add a star. They won’t want to use a chunk of it on Lopez before free agency starts. Also, I don’t think the Bulls can trade LaVine at/before the draft. It would have to be a sign-and-trade in July.

Paxson has suggested the Bulls will sit out free agency this year. They could have a ton of cap space in 2019 when Asik and Lopez are off the books. The plan seems to be to focus on internal development next year. If the core shows promise, maybe they could be attractive to one or possibly even two quality free agents in 2019. Maybe they strike out but the idea makes a lot of sense to me.

I’m not sure any of the free agents you mention are ones that I’d want to eat into 2019 cap money.   Bulls should try to be a one-year contract dumping ground (contracts not extending past next season) for teams trying to free up space and try to get whatever assets they can from that.
Agreed. I think taking on Asik's deal in the Niko trade was a giant neon sign that they were planning on tanking again next year and then clearing space to make a run in 2020.

A few of these guys could maybe be buy low cheap deals. On the Athletic Herzonja was mentioned as maybe a one year prove it deal with a team option 6-8M and don't bend over backwards for him. He has talent but inconsistent but has that competitive drive the Bulls love and we seemed to have lacked since Noah left. I was watching Euro games where this guy was hitting shots with hands in his face right in front of the opponents bench. He hits the shot and goes right after the bench with you can't do anything to stop me. Some would say he is too cocky but with his it's more confidence and competitiveness. I think Hoiberg being the offensive coach he is could get Herzonja's potential out of him. I'd have no issue going after Jabari Parker either or Julius Randle. He could be a low risk high reward signing if Mil choses to go in a different direction. Randle if LAL is serious about Lebron aren't gonna match offers to Randle unless they do some sort of sign and trade with Cleveland and he's involved. Noel is the typical athletic rim protector a lot of bulls fans have wanted for awhile. He doesn't stretch the floor but he provides solid defense and rebounding. He's athletic enough to run the fast break as well. He's had injury problems so he could be had on the cheap. 

Also BC is an idiot GM as many of us know. This is a guy who drafted AB and traded for TJ Ford. I honestly can't see Philly taking Lebron (His skillset and Simmons would collide and wouldn't be great) Maybe they get PG but he might want to go somewhere else. For me I see the Sixers as that team this summer who's projected to get all these big target FA's like Chi was in 2010 only for all of them to go elsewhere and they get the consolation prizes. I could see Lebron in LAL teaming with PG. I don't know if the Sixers will want to even give up the assets needed to get Kwahi. I think they'd at least want a 1st rounder maybe 2, plus Saric, I think they'd be interested in Korkmaz as well given their history with international talent with other pieces included. I know Philly values Saric a lot so I wouldn't see that happening. I've seen Fultz mentioned as part of the package but at this point I see very little trade value outside he was the #1 pick last year and honestly never thought he was one of the top 10 prospects in the draft last year. The whole Sixers FA plan this year smells similar to what was talked about in CHI about getting Lebron and Wade in 2010 and we ended up with Boozer and Rip Hamilton instead. Also I think James on the Sixers would be disastrous for them as James loves to micromanage everything. I don't see Brett Brown putting up with his stuff. Brown has already gone after Embiid for immaturity and social media and being lazy at times with workouts and there was apparently a back and fourth Embiid's first year when he was rehabbing with Brown and Hinkie in the story about hw Embiid was more into ordering SHirlley Temples and not focused on his rehab. There were also stories of Ben Simmons in college being a malcontent and not listening to coaches and Brown has seemed to take care of those issues with Ben if they were there. I could See James and Brown colliding and James has always been the focus of the team. Never had to run a system for a coach and Brown being a Pop Disciple I just can't see them working together. BC is the type of GM who'd bend over backwards for Lebron too. Lebron gets into it with Embiid/Simmons and BC is afraid of Lebrn threatening to leave BC ends up trading the wrong guy and screwing up everything they built all because he doesn't want to "offend" Lebron. 

The Sign Lavine would be similar to Kevin Love and Andrew Wiggins Cle/T'wolves deal I'd believe unless I'm mistaken and Love wasn't a free agent yet. Either way it's similar to the deal as the teams can handshake agree on the deal but whoever say we take with the Sixers pick can't be traded for the first 30 days similar to Wiggins before it's official. We all knew the trade was happening it just couldn't be official till a month later. I could see Philly though giving us Bayless and they'd only depending on who is traded adding 4 Mil of cap from Lopez. About 2 yrs ago before the NBA Allstar game I was at the 76ers/Kings game where the Jerry Colangelo had already taken over the team and before Hinkie resigned. A season ticket holder sat behind my buddy and I behind the Basket near the Sixers bench. He was talking to a Sixers staff member (I'm not sure if he worked in the FO or what but the two guys seemed to know each other well). The Sixers staff member said before Jerry took over the Sixers he asked some star players and other players on NBA teams their thoughts on the 76ers currently and their interest of going to the 76ers if they had a chance in FA (JC was basically recruiting already as he wasn't officially with the team yet). He was the opinion that for key FA's to sign even if the 76ers do get Ben Simmons and have Embiid they'd need to trade for a potential big name in order to get FA's to Philly. There was a rumor that the Sixers were trying to trade Nerlens Noel to the Hawks for Dennis Schroader (This was when Jeff Teague was still on the team) or possible Teague. JC believed if he could get a name like Schroader and get Embiid he'd have a shot this year in FA with some bigger named FA's. I mean take this all with a grain of salt but this guy even said Brett Brown wasn't going to extend with the Sixers if Sam Hinkie stayed GM. They apparently were not fans of each other. Hinkie went behind his back and traded MCW when Brown told Hinkie to be patient and see if he could fix some of MCW's shooting issues. There were other problems and I believe Brown thought Hinkie was over protective of Embiid's behavior. Brown's contract extension came at the sometime that JC took over as GM btw. So my insight on the possible Lavine to Philly has some background to it. Philly needs a SG plus a better back up Center. Granted take this all with a grain of salt but what this guy I over heard conversation wise a lot of it makes a lot of sense. Plus by getting Lavine and trading the 10th pick in the draft Philly might not even be in position to get a better SG there then Lavine. To me I think it makes more sense for the Sixers to trade for somewhat of a big name first then recruit bigger talent after. 

Overall I'm just trying to get some ideas for discussion out and mostly spitballing. I have zero problem sitting out FA but I'd look into getting some low risk high reward young guys if we can. If a big time FA presents itself and it makes sense I don't think we should sit on our hands and pass up that opportunity. I know Paxson said recently he doesn't want to be a lottery team next year either. 

Agreed. I think taking on Asik's deal in the Niko trade was a giant neon sign that they were planning on tanking again next year and then clearing space to make a run in 2020.
I just don't see how effective it'll be with the new rules I the lottery. To me we screwed our chances this year of getting the higher pick. Mirotic if they were planning this route shouldn't have been re-signed and they should've found a way to get rid of Holiday and Lopez as well. Even packaging a 2nd rounder which teams covet because they don't count against the cap I believe the first year with him may have gotten something. The Bulls screwed up their chances in that regard. I'm also someone totally against teams tanking. I honestly think it's bush league and having lived in Philly and studying and researching tanking especially the NBA it's not as impactful as many believe or try to defend it as. It's all about having a good GM and owner and having a team that's run properly. The draft pick isn't as impactful if other moves made aren't as good. For example the Clippers tanked for Years as well as Orlando but they have or had horrible people running the organization. Up until Sterling left and similar in Golden State the teams were terrible but the minute they were better run they became much better. DO we seriously trust Gar/Pax to build this thing properly? My other issue though from my own stand point was I have friends who defended the Sixers tanking but #####ed and moaned when others did it. But when the Sixers did it the excuses came out in full force. There was also the group that if you didn't like Hinkie or "Trust The Process" (Typing that makes me want to vomit) you apparently weren't a real Sixers fan either. That stuff just PO's me. 

Either way the bulls had their chance of tanking and blew chunks at it. I don't mind not going pirate ransacking in FA but I also wouldn't want us to sit on our hands and not get someone at the right opportunity because we chose to intentionally lose games next year for a better draft pick. knowing Gar/Pax they will muck it up. I think we got incredible lucky on the Butler trade with Markanen but also picking up Dunn and Lavine. Dunn was basically a throw in. I think all Dunn needed was the right offensive coach and more playing time which he gets in Chi. Lavine has been injury prone his whole career and yes he's not good defensively but a 20plus PPG scorer in the NBA at his position is valuable especially if he stays healthy and he's still incredible young. 

Per KC Johnson

Miles Bridges met with the Bulls at draft combine.

5:11 PM - 17 May 2018

Mo Bamba said he had one of his many individual meetings with the Bulls.

FWIW, Mo Bamba came across as very confident without being cocky: "I truly believe I have the tools and intangibles and all the makeup to be the No. 1 pick in this draft." Have to believe he made strong impression on teams in off-court interview.

2:04 PM - 17 May 2018

Saw and interesting rumor today or at least trade scenario. If Bridges falls 

Bulls draft Mohamed Bamba at #7 (if Memphis drafts JJJ, Dallas drafts MPJ, Orlando drafts Young).

- Mikal Bridges falls to #12 (projected to go 11 currently) and the Bulls trade #22 & Bobby Portis to the Clippers (Clippers own both #12 and #13) and draft Bridges.

- 2018 lineup: Kris Dunn, Zach Lavine, Mikal Bridges, Lauri Markkanen, and Mohamed Bamba.

I doubt the Bulls will go in heavy tank mode next year like they did last year after benching Lopez, Holiday and others.  Paxson admitted it was painful tanking last year and he doesn't want that again.    Maybe they will tank if they perform worse than expectations or have a rash of injuries and it seems like a lost season.  

They are in this weird middle ground where they will be trying to be good but without spending much money or trying to add veteran talent.

We don't know the roster yet, but I think it's most likely we'll see modest improvement from last year due to the young players improving.  The Bulls did play well in that December stretch and it wasn't all just because of Mirotic.  They showed a lot of promise. I think a win total in the mid 30s is most likely.  Although I wouldn't be too surprised if they exceeded that and actual finished around .500.

Am I the only one who doesn't get the MPJ hype? Yeah he was projected as the top guy before his injury but this was also before any American knew of Luca Doncic who even before MPJ got hurt said could be the #1 pick. You are relying on a guys potential who dominated HS players who had a back injury. Anyone remember what happened with Jared Sullinger? He had a year or two that was pretty solid but the dude dropped like a fly down the board. He was suppose to be a top lottery pick. He's now playing in China. I think a lot of this hype Chicago fans have with MPJ is more because of the Hard on he has with the Bulls. If he didn't I think more people would not be on board with him if he wasn't such expressive of his love. He's played so little and NBA is a totally different beast them beating up on a bunch of HS kids. This is one of the reasons I hate 1 and done in college. I want this kid first to be able to walk without problems for the rest of his life. Don't push himself to do something that could effect it more. Before the back injury I wasn't all that impressed with him either. We don't need a Rose situation again here. I know I could be a bit biased here on this part but people I see are comparing Bridges to Kwahi Leonard and Leonard was pretty Raw at the time himself. The Bulls really need a guy who can play D on the wing. THey've always had a guy on the wing that can play from Pippen to Butler. We lost some of that defensive mojo when Jimmy was traded last year. 

Users who are viewing this thread