What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Vegas Value Chart (1 Viewer)

Steeler

Footballguy
When is the Vegas Value Chart typically made available during the week?  Is there a deadline for this particular item?  If a deadline doesn't exist can one be provided (and met each week)?

I'm guessing I'm fairly typical in my approach to NFL DFS in that I collect as much information as possible from various sources and aggregate that data in a spreadsheet.  My spreadsheet (for better or worse) is keyed off the Vegas Value Chart - so until this is made available my research really cant start.

I'm sure John Lee is busy with other things, but I don't understand why the Vegas Value Chart can't be one of the first DFS items of the week.

Just look at the latest lines and o/u and do the math.  It takes maybe 5mins. 

Also, some of the o/u aren't even set last I looked.  I think they are waiting on some QB news in that Browns game to see who is starting for Clev. 

Also, some of the o/u aren't even set last I looked.  I think they are waiting on some QB news in that Browns game to see who is starting for Clev. 
I could do it myself, but it will take longer that 5 minutes -- I cut/paste the chart into my spreadsheet and every other tab keys off this one to determine the match ups.  So not only would I need to lookup the lines and figure out each team's expected total, I would have to format the data in the same way as the existing chart - which I pay for.

As others people have said in other threads/topics, a deadline would be nice for each article/feature and if the deadline has to be missed an explanation would be nice.  For example, if it's unreasonable for me to expect this data to be available on Tuesday night it would be nice for me to know the deadline wasn't tonight (or whatever).  Otherwise, I'm left with the option of doing myself, or hitting F5 a million times in hopes it is available.  If the deadline were tomorrow night (for example) I could make an informed decision to do it myself because I can't wait, or simply wait until tomorrow.

It usually is the first thing up.   Like you said I am sure John is busy as footballguys isnt his lone responsibility. I think its almost better to get it midweek cause I find my early in the week line ups/research  vary greatly from my final product. I would bet same goes for this. 

At the risk of making someone mad, I will also say it gets pretty frustrating when articles are not up in a timely manner, or the links are not working properly. When you rely on certain information or opinions to help make decisions, and that information is not available at a consistent time each week, it becomes a problem. Because of this, I have been spending more an more time on another site that gets up the information much quicker, and has many respected DFS guys also. 

KarmaPolice said:
The whole point of someone paying for a product/subscription is so they don't have to do some of these things. Before they purchase it, they look at what is being offered and probably liked what they saw, so they purchased the subscription. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect at least to get what they saw originally. 

Before I start getting bashed for this.............I have been a member of FBG for many, many years and will probably stay one. I do think they do a good job with the content, just wish they were more consistent with the time elements in getting that up. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Vegas Value Chart is still not available this week... please provide an ETA for this week and the deadline this should/will be published each week.  I don't think it's asking too much to know when a key product I am paying for will be made available each week.

Apologies for the delay, guys.

I make every effort to get it out on Tuesday each week & I think I've missed that (self-imposed) deadline twice in eight weeks.

The delay generally comes from an inability to get a Vegas line on one or more games because they simply don't exist (i.e., the Jets/Browns was not released until earlier today). I'd rather wait an extra 12-18 hours to get an accurate line than to estimate one & get it grossly wrong. Likewise, it pays to wait that extra day to allow the lines to stabilize a bit before putting together the chart.

It's a delicate balance because I want to get it out as early as possible, but the VVC becomes less useful if the information isn't accurate later in the week. 

Apologies for the delay, guys.

I make every effort to get it out on Tuesday each week & I think I've missed that (self-imposed) deadline twice in eight weeks.

The delay generally comes from an inability to get a Vegas line on one or more games because they simply don't exist (i.e., the Jets/Browns was not released until earlier today). I'd rather wait an extra 12-18 hours to get an accurate line than to estimate one & get it grossly wrong. Likewise, it pays to wait that extra day to allow the lines to stabilize a bit before putting together the chart.

It's a delicate balance because I want to get it out as early as possible, but the VVC becomes less useful if the information isn't accurate later in the week. 
Thanks John!  I understand the lines for some games aren't always available immediately for various reasons -- but most are available relatively soon.  Is this only produced once during the week and never updated?  Ideally for me, it would be put out as soon as possible and then updated throughout the week.  And if some lines aren't solidified by the deadline, those lines could be noted in the chart - for example, you could guess at the lines and O/U (for the initial release) or simply leave those values at zero.  Then as lines solidify throughout the week the chart could be updated with that information.  Have you considered this option?
What time on Tuesday is your self-imposed deadline?  I'm not trying to be a #### (and I'm not singling you out John), but I'm trying to balance DFS and regular Fantasy Football with being a father/husband/etc. and being able to set aside a known time for FF would be great for me.  I love some of the tools FBG provides (VVC, IVC, 10 second primer, game log dominator - to name a few), but FBG is also going to raise the price next year by 300 or 400% (I don't remember exactly) if i want both regular and DFS coverage... still not a lot of money in the grand scheme... but I would still like to see some things tightened up in general.

Steeler said:
Thanks John!  I understand the lines for some games aren't always available immediately for various reasons -- but most are available relatively soon.  Is this only produced once during the week and never updated?  Ideally for me, it would be put out as soon as possible and then updated throughout the week.  And if some lines aren't solidified by the deadline, those lines could be noted in the chart - for example, you could guess at the lines and O/U (for the initial release) or simply leave those values at zero.  Then as lines solidify throughout the week the chart could be updated with that information.  Have you considered this option?
What time on Tuesday is your self-imposed deadline?  I'm not trying to be a #### (and I'm not singling you out John), but I'm trying to balance DFS and regular Fantasy Football with being a father/husband/etc. and being able to set aside a known time for FF would be great for me.  I love some of the tools FBG provides (VVC, IVC, 10 second primer, game log dominator - to name a few), but FBG is also going to raise the price next year by 300 or 400% (I don't remember exactly) if i want both regular and DFS coverage... still not a lot of money in the grand scheme... but I would still like to see some things tightened up in general.

Is this only produced once during the week and never updated?

Basically, yes...but if the line moves significantly, I will get in there and update it.

Then as lines solidify throughout the week the chart could be updated with that information.  Have you considered this option?

have considered it, but I try to avoid from editing the VVC for several reasons: 1) It's meant to serve as an early guide to help identify components of an offense to target/avoid, not to generate exact projections for players--we already have tools that do that, 2) updating the VVC in our CMS is not straightforward and is quite time-consuming, which eats into the 'free' time I have to do my other DFS content, and 3) between my 'real' job, my family, and my other DFS obligations, I truly have very little time to go back and update the piece when a line moves a half-point, etc.

What time on Tuesday is your self-imposed deadline?

try to have it finished and uploaded into our CMS system by the end of the business day (~ 5 PM EST). After it gets uploaded, Clayton or Dodds have to link it to the landing page; sometimes they get to it right away and other times, it takes several hours. Yesterday, you noticed that it was 'live' with the link that Devin provided, but it had not been linked to the page yet. I have no control over how quickly it is linked it to the DFS landing page.

FBG is also going to raise the price next year by 300 or 400% (I don't remember exactly) if i want both regular and DFS coverage... still not a lot of money in the grand scheme... but I would still like to see some things tightened up in general.

The price for both DFS and season-long coverage next year is going up 28% (from $34.95 to $44.95). That works out to about a hair over $2 per week for both season-long and DFS coverage. It's JMO, but that is way too cheap for the level of DFS coverage we're providing (I've personally told Joe/David that they should charge more); other sites are charging far more money for less coverage (and getting it!). Add in the best season-long content on the planet (again, JMO) and the $44.95 price is the best bargain in all of fantasy football.

As a point of comparison, here are some subscription prices for FBG competitors that provide DFS content (price comparisons are against 2017 FBG subscription prices):

• 4x4Football: $99/year for both season-long & DFS (120% more than FBG)
  • FantasyLabs: $90/month for DFS only (700% more than FBG without season-long content)
  • RotoQL: "On sale" for $29.95/month (166% more than FBG without season-long content)
  • FantasyInsiders: $25 per month for DFS only (122% more than FBG without season-long content)
  • FantasyAlarm: $24.99 per month (122% more than FBG)
  • FantasyGuruElite: $19.95/month (78% more than FBG without season-long content)
  • RotoGrinders: $50/month for DK & FD content (344% more than FBG without season-long content or other DFS sites)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the response John!  

Regarding  the price increase - at one point I thought I read that the season-long content was going to be ~$32 and a separate subscription was  going to be needd for NFL DFS and was going  to be ~$80. Thats how i came up with the 3 or 4 fold increase... I hope you are right  :thumbup:

Thanks for the response John!  

Regarding  the price increase - at one point I thought I read that the season-long content was going to be ~$32 and a separate subscription was  going to be needd for NFL DFS and was going  to be ~$80. Thats how i came up with the 3 or 4 fold increase... I hope you are right  :thumbup:

InsiderPRO.png

Users who are viewing this thread