What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

South Korean culture question (1 Viewer)

Beef Ravioli

Footballguy
Any of you have any experience with S Korean culture and customs?

We are housing two S Korean high school boys this school year. We have enjoyed it but have discovered a few customs we were not anticipating.

1. They are VERY concerned about their appearance! Lots and lots of time in front of the mirror and lots of money on clothes and shoes and shoes and shoes! 

2. They spend most of their time in their room on their phones. This may not be as untypical than their American counterparts but it is different in our home. Our kids are out and about in the common areas of the house. We have talked to several friends who have housed some S Korean students and they said it's a cultural thing. All of the S Korean exchange students have done that.

3. This is the weirdest one and we can't figure it out. I asked one of the guys about it the other day and he looked at me like I was crazy and never gave me a straight answer. They do not dry their hands after washing them. Not sure they dry themselves after showers? They come out of the bathroom dripping water everywhere. They come to the supper table with their hands dripping with water. This one drives us nuts! 

Make sure you remove your shoes before entering their room. They are VERY particular about this.

They have a great work ethic and a great fear of failure. Best bet is to create a to-do list of house tasks you've been putting off -- weeding/clearing brush, organizing the garage, maybe a new coat of paint in the dining room, that sort of thing. Give them very detailed instructions, as it would bring great dishonor to their families if they were to fail.
We have some chores they have been asked to do but these two do not have great work ethic. Pretty lazy actually.

So they're lazy, on their phones too much, care too much about their appearance, and don't wash their hands well?

Sounds like normal high school kids. 

So they're lazy, on their phones too much, care too much about their appearance, and don't wash their hands well?

Sounds like normal high school kids. 
Could be? They appear to wash their hands well, it's the drying them off part. They are terrible at that part and we don't know why? Hand towel is available but they do not use it. We were at a restaurant the other day and the one came out of the bathroom with his hands dripping wet.

Do they talk about life over in S Korea?  Are they scared of the evil dictator just north of them?

Maybe you're hanging the hand towel in the location in a South Korean bathroom where the butt cleaning rag would hang? 

Last edited by a moderator:
maybe it is because your hand towels are all covered with pasta sauce and chunks of not really meat from your massive food canning operations brohan i am just sayin take that to the look in the mirror before your throw glass house stones bank 

Ask for their parents kimchi recipes, send them back shamed for giving secret recipe.  Post recipe here.  Profit. 

I love visiting with Grandma and Grandpa and writing letters to parents. and pushing lawn-mowing machine so Grandpa's hyena don't get disturbed.

Dated a Korean girl for a year.

First, they're more tech involved than we are. Our bandwidth speeds are very slow. Secondly, they're very brand and appearance conscious. They way outspend their means getting designer crap. Per my ex, European muggers learned how to mug in Korean to separate them from their Coach bags. Thirdly, no idea on the hand thing. Ex always used towels. 

Pick up some kimchi and make kimchi jigae (stew). Cultural experience for you. Welcoming from them. 

Last edited:
Could be? They appear to wash their hands well, it's the drying them off part. They are terrible at that part and we don't know why? Hand towel is available but they do not use it. We were at a restaurant the other day and the one came out of the bathroom with his hands dripping wet.
I did this until I was like 25.  Just air rung them or wiped them on my clothes. 

Everytime you are about to see them put a piece of tape to stretch your eyelids. Also play the song I am turning Japanese for them. 

Do they put their palms together then stick their fingers into each other's butt?

I'm 100% serious about this question. Every single korean male that I've ever known is aware of this... hazing/practice/game/stimulus?  They can't explain why they do it, but they sure love doing it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do they put their palms together then stick their fingers into each other's butt?

I'm 100% serious about this question. Every single korean male that I've ever known is aware of this... hazing/practice/game/stimulus?  They can't explain why they do it, but they sure love doing it.
Ddong chim!!

Right, there's nothing I enjoy more than flying halfway around the world to visit my distant relatives who live in the farm country in Italy, and get welcomed with a nice hot cheeseburger, store-bought frozen french fries, and a Coca-Cola. "Tomorrow we'll go into the city, past all the cafes and family-owned-for-generations restaurants, and stop at a McDonalds so you can have the real thing. We want to experience American culture with you! Share with us the tales of Ronald McDonald and the Grimace!"
Well, maybe if you had been there a year. I also had a girlfriend who studied a year in Paris. Went to see her over Christmas. I forget exactly what it was they couldn't get over there but I think it was peanut butter. So I brought some with me and they were ecstatic. When I lived in London I wanted nothing more on Thanksgiving than an American dinner of turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing, and gravy. These kids aren't on a 5-day trip, they didn't just get there, and they've probably been eating lots of McDonalds.

Other than your analogy being completely backwards, you did a good job of it.

Last edited:
Oh yeah. They're hard drinkers. The Irish of Asia basically. My best friend married a Korean girl and invited my parents to the wedding. My German-Irish dad and the bride's Korean father spent the whole night doing shots together.

Users who are viewing this thread