What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Project or Die: Jason Heyward (1 Viewer)

Eephus

Footballguy
What broke?   How do you fix him?

The Cubs are on the hook for almost $170M counting deferred bonuses.  Heyward has an opt-out clause after 2018 which seems unlikely if he continues to suck.  He also has full no-trade rights until then.

I believe he had a wrist problem early in the season which isn't helping but I've heard no excuses or explanations.  He's handled the benching well publicly but I can't imagine him being happy about it.

It's mental at this point.  He has so many little hitches and movements in the swing.  Just simplify it.  Seems easy enough.

Mark DeLaRosa was on 670 yesterday saying he knows a bunch of ex-players who want to work with Heyward this offseason. I do wonder if he'll find his own swing guru or if the Cubs will urge him to see someone in particular. But something has to change. To my unprofessional eye, the drastic movement of Heyward's head during his swing just can't be good. 

Fangraphs has a breakdown of his mechanical changes this year.  They obviously haven't had the desired effect and the post-season is a bad time to retool.  But it's not like Soler or Almora have been doing any better.

Heyward has been working with asst. hitting coach Eric Hinske who was also his teammate for his first three seasons w/ the Braves.

Heyward's career season averages    .262-15 HRs and 60 RBIs 14 SBs per year,    Don`t seem like to would take too much to get back to those numbers. Always been above average on defense but pretty pedestrian on offense.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread