What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Your Top 3-5 Favorite Films (1 Viewer)

Bob Magaw

Footballguy
My taste has evolved over time, but currently:

1) Blade Runner - Ridley Scott

2) Seven Samurai - Akira Kurosawa

3) 2001 - Stanley Kubrick

4) The Man Who Fell To Earth - Nicolas Roeg

5) Sorcerer - Billy Friedkin

* Honorable mention - Vertigo by Alfred Hitchcock, Wings of Desire by Wim Wenders, The Thin Red Line by Terrence Malick, Videodrome by David Cronenberg, Marathon Man by John Schlesinger, Thief by Michael Mann and (the original) Total Recall by Paul Verhoeven.

Last edited by a moderator:
Porkys 1-3

Last American Virgin

Can't Buy Me Love

Really 

Good Will Hunting

The Hustler 

The Sting

Love Actually 

Ex Machina

Favorites:

1) Dr. Strangelove - also the movie i most wish i made. Some SNL friends told me about working with Terry Southern in the Crystal/Guest/Short season and he sounds like the guy i'd have the best time getting loaded with

2) Casablanca - saw it a few weeks ago for the 1st time in years and, unlike almost every old movie i've re-seen, i wouldn't change a thing. What a convergence of the serendipities of talent that was!

3) Chinatown - the perfect movie. nufced

4) The Producers - Willie Mays & Zero Mostel are my gods - no wonder i'm ####ed up. Watching that fat, ugly man own an audience onstage in Forum & Fiddler stands to this day as the greatest entertainment experiences of my life and his 1st 20 minutes in this film stands with Streep's Sophie as the most beautiful and complex performance captured on film.

5) The Man Who Would Be King - ripping tale of a thrilling & telling quest, beautifully forged.

Most Personally Important:

Wizard of Oz - based my entire ####### life on it and the greatest writing experience of my life has been the 6 yrs since i told myself to write my own WoO, a project which should be completed in the next year (if i can find a new arranger).

Last Tango in Paris - honestly didn't know how complicated people were til i saw this flick. Buttered the way to an excellent sexual career as well

Best of the last 25 years: (tie) Being John Malkovich, Sweeney Todd

The Third Man

Some Like It Hot

The Battle of Algiers

The Godfather Part II

The Lives of Others

Porkys 1-3

Last American Virgin

Can't Buy Me Love

Really 

Good Will Hunting

The Hustler 

The Sting

Love Actually 

Ex Machina
The Sting my favorite on that list. Newman and Redford were also great in Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. One of the greatest surprise endings ever. Fantastic score/soundtrack based on the ragtime jazz of Scott Joplin.

The Sting my favorite on that list. Newman and Redford were also great in Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. One of the greatest surprise endings ever. Fantastic score/soundtrack based on the ragtime jazz of Scott Joplin.
I know I have never seen BC n SK as an adult, maybe when I was like 10.  Going to have to do that this weekend.

found this old chestnut recently. didnt want to invade tim & andy's 100 lists - esp since tim's 100 in this has so little in common with the one he's doing now - but i thought it was interesting.

Favorites:

1) Dr. Strangelove - also the movie i most wish i made. Some SNL friends told me about working with Terry Southern in the Crystal/Guest/Short season and he sounds like the guy i'd have the best time getting loaded with

2) Casablanca - saw it a few weeks ago for the 1st time in years and, unlike almost every old movie i've re-seen, i wouldn't change a thing. What a convergence of the serendipities of talent that was!

4) The Producers - Willie Mays & Zero Mostel are my gods - no wonder i'm ####ed up. Watching that fat, ugly man own an audience onstage in Forum & Fiddler stands to this day as the greatest entertainment experiences of my life and his 1st 20 minutes in this film stands with Streep's Sophie as the most beautiful and complex performance captured on film.

5) The Man Who Would Be King - ripping tale of a thrilling & telling quest, beautifully forged.

Wizard of Oz - based my entire ####### life on it and the greatest writing experience of my life has been the 6 yrs since i told myself to write my own WoO, a project which should be completed in the next year (if i can find a new arranger).

Last Tango in Paris - honestly didn't know how complicated people were til i saw this flick. Buttered the way to an excellent sexual career as well

Just watched Chinatown 2 weeks ago, loved it.  

I don't know producers unless it is the theater version, loved that one and being an accountant loved unhappy song but guessing 2 different things.  Being 46, and having Prime, I keep going to movies around when I was born or older.  Something just nostalgic, simple, and innocent/authentic/beautiful about those movies.   

Favorites:

I haven't seen The Producers, LTIP and Sweeney Todd. All the rest in your top 5 plus WOO are legit masterpieces. Strangelove maybe the greatest black comedy ever (though Kind Hearts and Coronets* in the discussion). Sterling Hayden also great in Kubrick's earlier The Killing and John Huston's seminal noir Asphalt Jungle. If you haven't seen Casablanca in a while, amazing how many famous quotes you can remember (maybe near the top of the list for older classics). Powerful when Nicholson confronts Dunaway about her "sister". Polanski had a cameo as the gangster that punishes Nicholson for being "nosy". TMWWBK is definitely underrated, great chemistry between Caine and Connery (probably one of his first successful post-Bond roles, though I liked Zardoz by the great John Boorman), based on an adventure story by Rudyard Kipling. Most baby boomers grew up in the pre-VHS/DVR era where it was a kind of event and they looked forward to watching Wizard of Oz once a year on TV.

I'd have to think about my favorite movies in the last 25 years (other than Thin Red Line already noted). The Big Lebowski and Reservoir Dogs, possibly Donnie Darko would be up there. I liked Memento a lot when it came out.            

Kind Hearts and Coronets

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kind_Hearts_and_Coronets

The Blues Brothers

Blazing Saddles

The Sound of Music

Monty Python and the Holy Grail

The Outlaw Josie Wales

The Godfather

The Godfather Part II

Leaving Las Vegas

Fargo

Midnight Cowboy

Hon. mentions to Raging Bull, GoodFellas, Fight Club, Boogie Nights and The Exorcist

Shawshank Redemption

Godfather 2

Ghostbusters

The Exorcist 

Star Trek 4
Friedkin has a handful of great movies. The French Connection, The Exorcist, Sorcerer (troubled shoot on location in the jungles of Central America/Mexico after his Exorcist success, nearly bankrupted him like Coppola with Apocalypse Now) and To Live And Die In LA. For some reason Friedkin lost his way/touch after that, though enjoyed somewhat of a comeback with his last movie to date, Killer Joe a half decade ago (he is 81). He got his start in documentaries and there is a gritty realism and verisimilitude that runs through his body of work (see TLADILA - to lend greater authenticity and authoritativeness on the counterfeit angle and back story, he hired an actual counterfeiter as a consultant, the payoff of which can be seen during the Willem Dafoe montage - pre-CSI William Petersen's Secret Service agent one of his two greatest film roles along with Will Graham in Manhunter). Similarly, Michael Mann hired an actual safe cracker as a consultant on Thief.          

Porkys 1-3

Last American Virgin

Can't Buy Me Love

Really 

Good Will Hunting

The Hustler 

The Sting

Love Actually 

Ex Machina
Love Actually is a good rom-com but my favorite one is There's Something About Mary.

Impressed you have Ex Machina on your list.  I have it in my all-time Top 50.

Right now I would have to say...

Almost Famous

The Martian

The Man from UNCLE

Cider House Rules

Love Actually might be.  If I edited out the girl and her pia brother, that movie would be perfection .   Still thinking about #5. 

The Battle of Algiers
I love that you chose this. I can't say it's one of my favorites; it won't appear on my top 100 list in my thread. But few films have ever made a larger impression on me; it changes my entire way of thinking about conflicts (and terrorism in particular). Fascinating film. 

Where Eagles Dare

Stripes

Goodfellas

Bridge on the river Kwai

To Live and Die in LA

Honestly, I have no idea how you guys narrow down choices. I can't even begin to "guess" what my top X would be.  :bag:

Right now I would have to say...

Almost Famous

The Martian

The Man from UNCLE

Cider House Rules

Love Actually might be.  If I edited out the girl and her pia brother, that movie would be perfection .   Still thinking about #5. 
Almost, great movie, love it.

Quickly of course:

Casablanca

One Flew over The Cuckos Nest.

The Outlaw Josey Wales

The Big Lebowski

Dr. Chivalgo

Bridge Over the River Kwai is a great call.  Children of Men and V for Ven are very high for me.  Just not feel good stories obviously . 

It's pretty difficult to narrow it down to just 3-5, but gun to my head...

Goodfellas

The Big Lebowski

Caddyshack

The Godfather 

The Godfather II 

The Holy Grail

(had to go with 6)

Magaw: 'Powerful when Nicholson confronts Dunaway about her "sister".'

Reminds of one of my favorite moments of the last few years. Five years ago, failing health made me want to live close to home.  My best pal offered me an old carriage house on his property near Boston in exchange for daycare of his 4yo. I am 350 pounds of kid myself, so our days were largely him using 'my giant' as a jungle gym and adversary in pretend games - the neighbors still talk of me dressed in 30 pounds of garden shed paraphernalia (yellow sandpail on my head) and chasing him best i could around the yard as an angry British commander called Gen. Thunderbucket - and i had near as much fun as him.

On a weather day, we were squared off in indoor combat and the kid decided to hurl a gigantic fake slap my way. Did a proper turn in response but, for some reason, I exclaimed "My sister!" to someone who would not know the movie reference nor what it meant. But he saw it crack me up and decided to give my other cheek the same treatment. "My daughter!", I cried. For weeks, as an inside fight would near its logical conclusion, one of us would start the "mysister/mydaughter" sequence on the other as the contest's denouement. So we thought nothing of it when we started goofin on the couch watchin TV with the fam and i'm fake slappin' and he's "sister/daughter"ing and we look up. His mom, a bit of a prune who was just starting to warm up to me for the help with her kid after a pretty good 20yr hate, was looking at us in abject horror as we virtually re-enacted an incest confession scene from a great ol' flick in front of her. I'm well used to "oh, he's the one who said/did that" looks from women, but this was the only one i could call mortally withering. To the kid's (now 9) credit, he hasnt let a single one of my visits back go more than a minute without him launching the "s/d" sequence since, timeout be damned. 

'Kind Hearts and Coronets'

The decade of Alec Guiness comedies begun by this one are 1-1A with Pythonalia in the collections of every Brit i know.

Magaw: 'Powerful when Nicholson confronts Dunaway about her "sister".'

Reminds of one of my favorite moments of the last few years. Five years ago, failing health made me want to live close to home.  My best pal offered me an old carriage house on his property near Boston in exchange for daycare of his 4yo. I am 350 pounds of kid myself, so our days were largely him using 'my giant' as a jungle gym and adversary in pretend games - the neighbors still talk of me dressed in 30 pounds of garden shed paraphernalia (yellow sandpail on my head) and chasing him best i could around the yard as an angry British commander called Gen. Thunderbucket - and i had near as much fun as him.

On a weather day, we were squared off in indoor combat and the kid decided to hurl a gigantic fake slap my way. Did a proper turn in response but, for some reason, I exclaimed "My sister!" to someone who would not know the movie reference nor what it meant. But he saw it crack me up and decided to give my other cheek the same treatment. "My daughter!", I cried. For weeks, as an inside fight would near its logical conclusion, one of us would start the "mysister/mydaughter" sequence on the other as the contest's denouement. So we thought nothing of it when we started goofin on the couch watchin TV with the fam and i'm fake slappin' and he's "sister/daughter"ing and we look up. His mom, a bit of a prune who was just starting to warm up to me for the help with her kid after a pretty good 20yr hate, was looking at us in abject horror as we virtually re-enacted an incest confession scene from a great ol' flick in front of her. I'm well used to "oh, he's the one who said/did that" looks from women, but this was the only one i could call mortally withering. To the kid's (now 9) credit, he hasnt let a single one of my visits back go more than a minute without him launching the "s/d" sequence since, timeout be damned. 

'Kind Hearts and Coronets'

The decade of Alec Guiness comedies begun by this one are 1-1A with Pythonalia in the collections of every Brit i know.
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Like Orson Welles, you are a great raconteur, sir!

Changes a lot but currently:

Casablanca

The Apartment 

Double Indemnity

Modern Times

Bridge on the River Kwai

The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King

Aliens

12 Angry Men

Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back

It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World

I don't know producers unless it is the theater version, loved that one and being an accountant loved unhappy song but guessing 2 different things.  Being 46, and having Prime, I keep going to movies around when I was born or older.  Something just nostalgic, simple, and innocent/authentic/beautiful about those movies.   
The Producers (1968) was Mel Brooks 1st movie and, as you saw, my favorite comedy. It was just barely enough of a hit for him to get another picture. Since he had just made fun of Hitler, he decided he could make fun of Tolstoy, which resulted in the perfectly awful The Twelve Chairs. Having blown the good will from creating Get Smart with these two flicks, Brooks didn't work for a while until Richie Pryor showed him the outline for a movie called Tex X, a black comedy Western. That's when he caught on to what spoofs work in Hollywood, and the rest is history.

About twenty years ago, Brooks - who turns half his conversations into songs - was asked if he ever thought about writing a Broadway musical. He responded, "I have", referring to Producers, about the attempt to stage the worst play ever made for fun & profit. They expanded it and voila, the musical to which you refer, As fun as it is, (tho the movie of the musical was one of the worst things ever) it still pains me to realize that most living creatures think of the musical before they do the best comedy ever filmed when they hear the title. wikkid say check it -

Impossible for me to narrow my list down to 3-5 so I'll just name the 3 movies that I know I've watched the most number of times.

Godfather I

Godfather II

The Princess Bride 

Annie Hall

Pulp Fiction

North By Northwest

Cool Hand Luke

No Country For Old Men

HM: The Searchers, The Eiger Sanction, Being There, Chinatown..

Users who are viewing this thread