What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

DraftKings Week 8 (1 Viewer)

Dan Hindery

Starting to work through and try to figure out how much I like the chalkiest cash game guys on DK this week. Looks like Jameis Winston is going to end up being the highest-owned QB. There's a perception that Oakland's pass defense is terrible. They've definitely given up some monster games to elite passers, but they've been very good against non-elite passers and have done well in 4-of-5 games. 

Against the 3 QBs they've faced priced $6800 or more, Oakland has given up an average of 393 passing yards and 3.7 passing touchdowns. That's 32.9 DK Points per game (4.5x even with an average salary of $7,267). These games were mostly early in the season: Week 1 (Brees), Week 2 (Ryan) and Week 5 (Rivers). 

Against the 4 lower-priced QBs they have faced (all $6,200 or less), Oakland has allowed 246 passing yards and just 0.5 passing touchdowns per game. That 13.7 DK points and even with the low salaries, just a 2.3x multiplier on an average price of $5,925. This group of QBs includes Mariota (Week 2), Flacco (Week 4), A. Smith (Week 6) and Bortles (Week 7).

Winston will be popular because he's just $5,700 and because the overall numbers against OAK are appealing. But he seems to fit more in with the 2nd group of QBs who haven't produced against the Raiders than the first (if you buy into this huge split being non-random). First take here is that paying up to Luck ($6800) or Ryan ($7000) is probably worth it. Or maybe just looking at the opposite side of this same matchup with Carr ($5900). 

Last edited by a moderator:
Starting to work through and try to figure out how much I like the chalkiest cash game guys on DK this week. Looks like Jameis Winston is going to end up being the highest-owned QB. There's a perception that Oakland's pass defense is terrible. They've definitely given up some monster games to elite passers, but they've been very good against non-elite passers and have done well in 4-of-5 games. 

Against the 3 QBs they've faced priced $6800 or more, Oakland has given up an average of 393 passing yards and 3.7 passing touchdowns. That's 32.9 DK Points per game (4.5x even with an average salary of $7,267). These games were mostly early in the season: Week 1 (Brees), Week 2 (Ryan) and Week 5 (Rivers). 

Against the 4 lower-priced QBs they have faced (all $6,200 or less), Oakland has allowed 246 passing yards and just 0.5 passing touchdowns per game. That 13.7 DK points and even with the low salaries, just a 2.3x multiplier on an average price of $5,925. This group of QBs includes Mariota (Week 2), Flacco (Week 4), A. Smith (Week 6) and Bortles (Week 7).

Winston will be popular because he's just $5,700 and because the overall numbers against OAK are appealing. But he seems to fit more in with the 2nd group of QBs who haven't produced against the Raiders than the first (if you buy into this huge split being non-random). First take here is that paying up to Luck ($6800) or Ryan ($7000) is probably worth it. Or maybe just looking at the opposite side of this same matchup with Carr ($5900). 
Fantastic start to the discussion.  I guess the DK threads have been more of a dud.  I think the thing that keeps Winston in play for me is I believe he is still averaging 35 throws a week or more.  It is risky since they seem to be more than willing had off to Rodgers a ton, but really feels like it could be a shootout to me.  I think he is safe is cash, but will be so highly owned, I will probably stay away from him in gpp.

I do like Carr too.  I thought I read a stat that TB has already given up top perfomances to pairs of WRs 3-4 times this year. 

My DK Cash Core this week:

QB- OSW, Ryan, and 1 of Brady or Rodgers (Haven't decided yet)

Trust me I am shaking in my boots with the OSW pick. I do know he has played well at home against bad defenses. He is facing one this week. Plus, I think they are going to want to get him right with all the talk that is going on this week about wasting money on him. He only needs 16 points to reach cash value, surely he can do that against Detroit. He is going to be my cheap guy this week. 

Ryan is in a prime matchup at home against a weak pass defense. I think they will air it out even more with Coleman out for he game. I also think it will be a shootout game with lots of point scored. Obviously that is also why I like ARod this week too. Brady and Bill are going to want to show Rex who the best team really is after Rex beat them without Brady a few weeks ago. Punt play is on board with OSW, also like Tyrod, just don't know who he is going to throw too. 

RB- Booker, Murray, Ware, Freeman, Rodgers, Gore

Booker is a no brainer at this point, although it always scares me when I say that. I have Murray in my Thur/Mon cash LU because he is going to get lots of touches against a bad Jax team. Ware has got a great matchup I think this will end up being a shootout in Indy also. For the same reason I like Gore as a nice value at his price. Not flashy, but should have a chance for a TD or two. Freeman being the bell cow now is going to mean lots of possible points. I still think Rodgers has some value against the Raiders. I think he is a safer play than Winston by far. They are going to run the ball. One guy I still like and may try to fit in is Asiata if McKinnon is out. 

WR- Julio, Evans, Marshall, Edelman, Cobb, Montgomery, Adams, TY

Julio, and the Green Bay guys speak for themselves. GB has to pass to do anything. Julio is finally getting targeted like he should be. He is virtually unstoppable with his size and speed. Evans is getting all kinds of targets and his hands seem to be much better this year. Edelman is getting overlooked too much for a PPR site. He is still the most targeted guy on the Pats. He will score soon. I am not sold on Marshall, but I am sold on the Browns defense being terrible. He should see plenty of targets. I also like TY at home in a shootout with KC. I know they have some guys coming back, but he will still get his. I also like AJ, but can't seem to fit him in any LU's this week. For punt plays at WR, If I could find out who Buffalo had at WR healthy, they might be a good play. Woods maybe, they will be throwing it all game playing catchup. I also like Kearse as a sleeper against a bad defense. 

TE- CJ, Barn, Bennett, and Graham if I could fit him in. 

I love Graham this week, I am just having a hard time fitting him in when I build my LU's. CJ is getting targets, and with what I think about OSW this week, I think he is great value. Barnidge is still getting about 7 targets a game. I would like him even more if McCown is healthy. I think people are overlooking Bennett this week. In the past, Rex has tried to double team Gronk. If he does, Bennett is going to be open all day. He is my biggest call of the week!

Busy week for me so I am doing this week without doing complete projections which is my normal process.

Guys I will be using

QB: Winston, Ryan, Rogers:  Like Rogers the best this week.  Think the Packers continue to throw a ton and the game has highest total on the board.  But he also cost the most of the guys I like.  May consider Luck as well.

RB: Will be 100% on Booker, his price is just too good to pass.  Outside of that I like Ware, Rodgers, and Forte.  Will put Murray is one of my lineup tonight.  Agreed with earlier poter if Mckinnion is out then Asiata is very much in play as a way to get the high priced WRs.

WR: Evans is the no1 pick this week.  I like Jones but may be tough to fit him in.  As a cash saver Lee is interesting tonight.  Montgomery should continue to see a lot of targets.  Will be watching Cobb's injury reports.

TE: CJ looks like a great value if you need salary relief.  Graham is my no1 TE this week.

DT: Love the Vikes but they are pretty pricey.  Jets look good and Titans tonight could be a good cash saver.  Trouble saying this but I honestly think the Lions might be a decent cheap play this week.

Opinions on this cash lineup?

Siemian *Thought process:  SD is a top5 scoring offense I believe and they're down 2 of their top CB's I think as well.  Home game at Denver Siemian will have to keep up and no CJ to workload them to death

Booker, Ware  *Thought process:  Booker like someone said is a no brainer, workload, high scoring affair very likely and I believe Denver will be in scoring position a good bit.  Revenge game after SD beating them 2 weeks back.  

Evans, Fitzgerald, Montgomery  *Thought process:  Evans is good for a big play, so I'm not on Winston as some of you have mentioned but Evans still gets his, same with Fitz against a struggling Panthers team.  I might be convincing myslef on Fitzgerald with Panthers going to the super bowl last year and getting the best from other teams, could be a lobsided affair with Arizona going nutty.  Montgomery also a no brainer in my opinion, highest o/u of the weekend, has shootout written all over it and he's getting RB touches plus 5+ catches so draftkings PPR is more bang for the buck.  

Ertz  *Thought process:  Might pivot off of him to Fiedorowicz but Ertz is the more talented guy in a prime matchup.  Only worry is recent games where Wentz has struggled a bit and actually showed signs of being a rookie.

Cmike  *Thought process:  It's against the Saints so I want some piece of the action and I don't trust any of the WR's or Graham.  Not that I trust Cmike either but still no Rawls.  He's averaging about 18 carries a game, banged up Russell and WR's not doing great.

Lions  *Thought process:  Just a gut call that I think the Lions dominate Houston from the coin flip onwards.  

I like everyone except your QB and defense. I think Houston wins that game outright against Detroit. I also think Denver will pound the ball to keep Rivers off the field, very similar to how they played last game. I like to play QB's that have a chance to get over 300 yards passing, don't think Simian will this week. JMO

Opinions on this cash lineup?

Siemian *Thought process:  SD is a top5 scoring offense I believe and they're down 2 of their top CB's I think as well.  Home game at Denver Siemian will have to keep up and no CJ to workload them to death

Booker, Ware  *Thought process:  Booker like someone said is a no brainer, workload, high scoring affair very likely and I believe Denver will be in scoring position a good bit.  Revenge game after SD beating them 2 weeks back.  

Evans, Fitzgerald, Montgomery  *Thought process:  Evans is good for a big play, so I'm not on Winston as some of you have mentioned but Evans still gets his, same with Fitz against a struggling Panthers team.  I might be convincing myslef on Fitzgerald with Panthers going to the super bowl last year and getting the best from other teams, could be a lobsided affair with Arizona going nutty.  Montgomery also a no brainer in my opinion, highest o/u of the weekend, has shootout written all over it and he's getting RB touches plus 5+ catches so draftkings PPR is more bang for the buck.  

Ertz  *Thought process:  Might pivot off of him to Fiedorowicz but Ertz is the more talented guy in a prime matchup.  Only worry is recent games where Wentz has struggled a bit and actually showed signs of being a rookie.

Cmike  *Thought process:  It's against the Saints so I want some piece of the action and I don't trust any of the WR's or Graham.  Not that I trust Cmike either but still no Rawls.  He's averaging about 18 carries a game, banged up Russell and WR's not doing great.

Lions  *Thought process:  Just a gut call that I think the Lions dominate Houston from the coin flip onwards.  
Like pod said above, not sold on Siemian this week, especially paired with Booker on your lineup.  Not sure on the Def, that seems more of a contrarian/gpp play.  I have all but given up on the Ds myself, so take it for what it's worth. 

For cash, I would personally go with Fied.  Ertz may be more talented, but where has he been since he got back.  CJ F has gotten a lot of targets the last few weeks, and Det might be as bad vs. TEs as Cleveland is on D. 

I admit I mentioned Detroit as a cheap DT.  But with Slay out I think they are only for GPP too risky for cash IMO.

As a fan, I really want to throw in a Brady-Gronk stack, but I am really struggling to get a lineup together with guys I like when they are in there. 

Anything. I think I'd rather go 2 tight ends over trying to find a cheap wr at this point. 
I agree for cash.  I think M.Thomas right at 5000 is about the lowest I'd go. 

The way my gpps LUs went, I had to look at some sub 5000 guys and didn't mind a few for a flier:

D.Adams (Cobb gimpy and Trufant shadowing Nelson), Q.Enunwa (Cleveland CB back and on Marshall?), Hogan (esp. if Bennett is gimpy), John Brown. 

Even cheaper guys that could be involved in shootouts: Sanu, Kearse, Humphries/Shepard, JJ Nelson?

Not a ton, but that's why they are cheap.  Agree 100% though that this might be a week to use TE as a flex unless you are playing bigger slates and guys like C.Thompson or Asiata are available. 

Don't overthink it.

If you are not using Booker as a starting RB, he is the perfect Flex play in all cash games on DK this week. 

If he is in one of your starting RB slots..........I like all these guys depending on roster configuration at under 5000/3500

at RB I like Asiata, Lat. Murray, or Gore as good value

at WR I like D. Adams, Boldin, Woods 

at TE I like Barnidge, Rudolph, and CJ Fiedorowicz 

Asiata, and CJ can really save you some money to build up at other spots. 

That being said, play Booker and forget it..........

Good luck everybody.  Going all gpps this week on DK - 8 LUs total.  Got a bunch in the Thursday kickoff to play Minn D and others. 

Have a lot of core cash guys - Asiata, Booker, Barnidge, CJ F, Montgomery, Adams, but mixed it up with some hopefully low owned guys -NO players, Baldwin, Hopkins, Blount, Diggs, etc..  I think a lot of them have game stacks involving NO/Seat, Atl/Gb, Oak/TB, and Indy/KC.  Did not go with a super cheap Qb like McCown, Brock, and the like this week.  All in on the QBs from those high o/u games I just listed. 

Well the best thing to happen for me this week was Montgomery and Cobb not going. 

First off I was lucky enough to find out in time to change my LU's.

Those changes forced me to rethink/change some players for cap space, stacks, etc. and that saved me some cash in the end. 

1. With Montgomery and Cobb out, I wanted Adams in all three of my LU's. Who else was Rodgers going to throw the ball too! Plus, I figured everyone would be thinking the same thing, so he would be highly owned just like Booker. So, because of such high ownership probability, both were in all 3 of my cash LU's. Which is not something I normally do. I kind of explained why I did this time in the FD thread. 

2. I had already decided earlier that I was going 3RB's in each LU since Booker had 1 spot wrapped up. Another one of my rules is to play a Different QB/TE in each LU. I followed that rule. 

3. So I had to fill 2 RB spots, 2 WR spots, and TE, and QB I would stack with a pass catcher. (If you have read my posts, you know I always try to do that)

4. My Thur/Mon LU was pretty much set with an Osweiler/CJ Fiedorowicz stack. I played that slate in particular with 1 of my LU's so I could get Murray/Tenn defense. So I stuck my No. 2 RB for the week, Freeman in the flex spot.Then pick 2 of my WR corp to throw in, that being Evans, and TY. 

5. So my Thur/Mon Cash LU was: Osw-Booker-Murray-Adams-Evans-TY-CJ-Free-Tenn. (Scored 125)

6. My Sunday Only LU was next. I decided I wanted to use Barnidge at TE, who I loved this week, and was pretty chalk. With 2 of my core WR's gone now (Mont/Cobb) I decided to add 2 to my core and could go a little higher with Adams being cheaper than those 2. I added Cooper and Fitz and got rid of Marshall. I just thought Cleveland might win the game outright against the Jets, and it might be real ugly. Fitz looked like the only healthy WR on Ariz, and Coop was due for a big game in what I thought would be a shootout. I originally wanted to stack Ryan/Julio in this LU. The more I thought about it after hearing Cobb/Mont were out, I started to think Green Bay might get blown out and Atlanta may go very conservative. That made me like Freeman even more, so I wanted to put him into 2 of my LU's. Julio was just going in 1 now. So I needed a stack for LU #2 still. I already added Cooper to my core and now wasn't going with Ryan, so I decided to add Carr at QB instead. Julio was going in this LU also. So I needed 2 more RB's. I went into the week with Ware as my No. 3 guy. I was really high on him. But I kept thinking about how bad the Saints defense was against the run also. With Wilson banged up, I also like CMike a ton. Plus I already knew that Free and Booker were going into LU 3. I just figured I would throw in Ware in 3 also. I didn't want him in 2 LU's. 

7. To make a long story sort of short: LU #2 Carr-Book-Cmike-Coop-Julio-Adams-Barn-Lat. Murray-Texans (Score 157)

I just had a gut feeling on Lat. Murray. Word out of Oakland was he was going to be more of a bell cow. This obviously was my best LU. 

9. Now onto #3. I wanted to play it in the Sun/Mon slate or the one that included Sunday morning if possible. I really liked AJ,  and Asiata still interested me. Well I ended getting into the slate that didn't include AJ, so Asiata was still in play. 

10. Like I said before, I alway use different QB's and TE's in each LU. I had already used my too favorite TE's this week in Barn and CJ. I liked Bennett a lot also, but his injury status was scaring me. I wanted me some Brady though, so I decided to see if I could fit in Gronk. Once I found out McKinnon was for sure out, I figured I could fit Gronk with Asiata being so cheap. So I already had a lot of this LU made with Booker/Free/Adams/Gronk/Asiata. This ended up taking Ware, Rodgers, and Gore out for me. I liked all 3 of them too. So I through in Brady to stack with Gronk. But with Brady in, I just didn't like my WR options. I wanted to get Fitz in for sure. So I had to make a decision, go with Brady/Gronk/and cheap guy at WR3 or Better WR3/Gronk/ and find a QB to stack with someone. I decided on the second option and stuck in Winston/Evans stack. This was an unusual move for me also, since I already felt like I had used 2 lower end QB's. 

11. So my final #3 - Winston-Book-Free-Evans-Fitz-Adams-Gronk-Asiata-Ariz (Score 134 with Asiata to go) 

12. All told I think having to redo my thinking with Cobb/Mont out really ended up helping me this week. My 3 LU strategy paid off again. It enabled me to diversify my LU's enough that my chalk plays that stunk didn't kill me. No doubt the fact that my value guys reached value for the most part was a plus.   My chalk guys that didn't hit didn't hurt me too much because everyone else had them too, and I had them spread out between the 3 LU's. My read on the Atlanta/GB game was not exactly right, but did keep me from having Julio in more than 1 LU. I was very high on Evans/Julio just like everyone else. My 2 lock Chalks, Booker and Adams, reached value and I had one final stoke of luck happen. One RB I was really high on to start the week, Ware, somehow didn't make it into any LU. 

13. So, with all the chalk flopping this week, I ended up doing very well in the end! (Even with the stupid Osweiler call)

Sorry of the long read, just thought it might help someone else out down the road. The Lesson again, (and if you have read any of my previous posts, I have reiterated this before) It pays to diversify even your cash LU's! You probably won't win as much when Chalk hits like last week, but you also won't lose as much when chalk doesn't hit like this week, and you might even win more!  

Best weekend of the year for me, up a little over $85 playing mostly all cash games, a few smaller $ GPP and one 6 person $5 league a coworker runs. Cashed in everything with all 3 lineups except one $1 GPP.  The Montgomery could have been costly as he was in my main lineup, I checked before leaving for my sons soccer game and everyone said he should be playing, got home and went to do some work outside so I could watch later and totally missed the news. That lineup was my lowest but still a solid 133.2 to cash, scored 142.5 and 147.5 with my other two lineups.

Users who are viewing this thread