What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty: QB DeShone Kizer, Titans (1 Viewer)

USA Today's Tom Pelissero spoke with NFL personnel members at the Senior Bowl who brought up Notre Dame's benching of QB DeShone Kizer.

The "benching" sounds much worse on paper than it was in reality. Kizer exited the game with a 10-7 lead against Stanford following two interceptions. Malik Zaire did nothing with his opportunity and Brian Kelly turned back to Kizer at the end of the game. Kizer stepped his starting gig the rest of the season and converted 13 touchdowns versus two interceptions in the final five games of the season. It is not a big deal.

Source: USA Today 
Jan 30 - 11:31 AM

Saw him play quite a bit, and came away thinking he's a guy that really could have used another year in college and another 13 or 14 starts. I don't think he's anywhere near being able to come in and play right away.

Saw him play quite a bit, and came away thinking he's a guy that really could have used another year in college and another 13 or 14 starts. I don't think he's anywhere near being able to come in and play right away.

I agree with what you said but of this draft class, he 'might' turn out to be the best if he does develop.  I see the potential but don't feel he's worth a top pick because he isn't ready, however you could say the same thing with Trubisky and his 13 starts or with Watson and the system he comes from and how we haven't had a chance to see him operate under center.  

We still haven't had the Combine and we don't know how these guys will test out.  Hopefully, they all will participate and not push this out until the agonizing 'dog-and-pony Pro-Day workout' that has been scripted by a Hollywood producer but Trubisky is rumored to be shorter than his listed height and Watson looks lighter than his listed weight so we might see more blemishes with the top names before the process even gets started. 

I agree with what you said but of this draft class, he 'might' turn out to be the best if he does develop.  I see the potential but don't feel he's worth a top pick because he isn't ready, however you could say the same thing with Trubisky and his 13 starts or with Watson and the system he comes from and how we haven't had a chance to see him operate under center.  

We still haven't had the Combine and we don't know how these guys will test out.  Hopefully, they all will participate and not push this out until the agonizing 'dog-and-pony Pro-Day workout' that has been scripted by a Hollywood producer but Trubisky is rumored to be shorter than his listed height and Watson looks lighter than his listed weight so we might see more blemishes with the top names before the process even gets started. 
Completely agree. I wouldn't feel confident taking any of these three early. In my opinion, Watson is the only one of the three who's even close to being ready to play.

Isn't one of his issues that of accuracy? While he can make all the throws he can be all over in terms of placement?

petekrum said:
Completely agree. I wouldn't feel confident taking any of these three early. In my opinion, Watson is the only one of the three who's even close to being ready to play.
Interesting. I hold the opposite opinion. Trubisky, IMO, is going to emerge as the best QB from this class. Watson is going to be a huge bust. Probably most ready to play, yes, but I think he will turn out to be a disaster. 

NFL Network draft expert Mike Mayock ranks Notre Dame QB DeShone Kizer as the NFL Draft's top quarterback prospect.

Kizer got the nod over the following, in order, in Mayock's initial positional rankings: Clemson's Deshaun Watson, North Carolina's Mitch Trubisky, Texas Tech's Patrick Mahomes and Cal's Davis Webb. Kizer (6-foot-4, 230 pounds) completed 212-of-361 passes for 2,925 yards and a 26/9 TD/INT rate last year.

Source: NFL.com

In his most recent mock draft, ESPN's Mel Kiper Jr. does not have Notre Dame QB DeShone Kizer being drafted in the first round.
Two quarterbacks do go off the first-round board in Kiper's projection. It's just that neither of them is Kizer, whom NFL Network's Mike Mayock listed as the top gunslinger in the draft earlier this week. The longtime ESPN draft guru slots North Carolina QB Mitch Trubisky to the 49ers at No. 2 and Clemson QB Deshaun Watson to the Bills at No. 10. For a different angle, in his second mock draft of 2017, Rotoworld's Josh Norris tabbed all three of Trubisky, Watson and Kizer to be drafted within the first 15 picks.

Source: ESPN Insider 
Feb 16 - 4:26 PM

Media draft analyst Daniel Jeremiah compared Notre Dame QB DeShone Kizer to Arizona Cardinals QB Carson Palmer.

Bucky Brooks, Jeremiah's partner in crime on the Move the Sticks podcast, doesn't think his co-host is far off here. Said Brooks, "I like that comparison. I believe he is that guy. I believe he is a flamethrower from the pocket. I believe, in a classic system, he could push it down the field. If you put him in Bruce Arians' system, he could do all of those things." Earlier this week, NFL Media's Mike Mayock anointed the 6-foot-4, 230-pound Kizer as his No. 1 quarterback prospect in the current draft class.

Source: NFL.com

Kizer will not make it out of the first round.  If he falls far enough the chiefs will draft him.  In fact i think if he falls just a little bit, the chiefs will trade up to get him. Andy reid is smart. I think kizer turns the chiefs into a super bowl team. 

What decade? He can't read defenses and lost his job at the collegiate level.  Those are big red flags to me. Brady Quinn was much better than him in college and we see how that worked out. I would pass on him unless he fell to the third or 4th round or if it was late 2nd. 

Translation: lacks mental tools.
No ####. That is so 1990's and 2000s. What a joke of an article. Probably went back an plagiarized an article about Vinc Yung. Physical tools for a QB are not the deciding factor. Any GM excited by it is a moron and should not be running an NFL team if it doesn't include metal tools. It is low on the totem pole. 2 of the LEAST physically gifted QBs played in the 2017 SB.

No ####. That is so 1990's and 2000s. What a joke of an article. Probably went back an plagiarized an article about Vinc Yung. Physical tools for a QB are not the deciding factor. Any GM excited by it is a moron and should not be running an NFL team if it doesn't include metal tools. It is low on the totem pole. 2 of the LEAST physically gifted QBs played in the 2017 SB.
Tom Brady isn't physically gifted? He can't throw a ball far? accurate? 

Matt Ryan is mentally gifted? If so why has his "Matty Ice" title been taken away and given back to him so frequently? 

Last edited by a moderator:
Tom Brady isn't physically gifted? He can't throw a ball far? accurate? 

Matt Ryan is mentally gifted? If so why has his "Matty Ice" title been taken away and given back to him so frequently? 
I don't know if I've ever seen Brady try to throw it more than 15 yards downfield.

Critics are critical, but not always steeped in analysis.

I don't know if I've ever seen Brady try to throw it more than 15 yards downfield.

Critics are critical, but not always steeped in analysis.
Brady does rely on YAC statistics for his yardage but to say Brady isn't physically gifted... I mean come on... I was a pretty bad Brady hater at one point but that's just crazy

You guys are totally missing what is meant by 'physically gifted.' Ben R., Andrew Luck & Cam Newton are physically gifted. Neither Brady nor Ryan are. They would never be able to run over anyone like Newton does. They also do not have cannon arms. That is a fact. Yes, they can make all the throws but they are not physically gifted. If you are calling this physically gifted, I can only laugh.

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2015/12/16/nfl-ben-roethlisberger-pittsburgh-steelers

You guys are totally missing what is meant by 'physically gifted.' Ben R., Andrew Luck & Cam Newton are physically gifted. Neither Brady nor Ryan are. They would never be able to run over anyone like Newton does. They also do not have cannon arms. That is a fact. Yes, they can make all the throws but they are not physically gifted. If you are calling this physically gifted, I can only laugh.

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2015/12/16/nfl-ben-roethlisberger-pittsburgh-steelers
:shrug: all NFL players are physically gifted.  Brady and Ryan are not as physically gifted as Cam or Jamarcus Russell. 

:shrug: all NFL players are physically gifted.  Brady and Ryan are not as physically gifted as Cam or Jamarcus Russell. 
That's true but when they say that an NFL player is physically gifted, they are talking about the guys I mentioned....otherwise the phrase physically gifted would never need to be used. Think about it. If they all are 'physically gifted', why say he's physically gifted? It's like saying that QB can throw a football. They all can throw a football.

Where are you getting this?  At notre dame kizer is asked to read defenses, audible, and go thru his progressions and he does this well. 
Partly just that's how it works - what's not said in a report matters.  You talk up a guy's raw talent and physical abilities and don't mention much else, he's probably not shown mastery of the game or leadership.  

Partly because I had high hopes for Kizer before the year.  I thought he'd be the top pick going into the season and would be a top heismann candidate.  Even more than Watson.  I was wrong.  

Partly scouting reports like this:

There is a lot to like about DeShone Kizer’s game; he’s a dual-threat with great physical attributes, excellent instincts, and tons of raw potential. He makes some genuinely spectacular plays that hint at a great NFL future. However, for Kizer to develop into a true franchise quarterback, he must become more consistent in the fundamentals of the position. He often relies too much on his natural talent and not enough on proven techniques, leading to inaccurate passes and missed opportunities

I think the opinion of that scouting report is wrong.  He's good at the fundmentals of the position.

This is the guy I think shoots up late, maybe to the top.

Bright, athletic, lost all his surrounding talent last year, and had a coach messing with him.

Will have good workouts, interview well, yeah I could see him being that riser.

Bright, athletic, lost all his surrounding talent last year, and had a coach messing with him.

Yah its basically what I said before.  I discount negative reports of Kizer from this past year because he had a coach problem.  I think you get the 2015 version of Kizer if you draft him.

The Anonymous Scout‏ @AnonyousNFLS  Feb 28

More

The Anonymous Scout Retweeted Joel Klatt

Eyes and Ears around tell me 1. Watson 2. Mahomes 3. Trubisky 4. Webb 5. Peterman 6. Kayaa 7. Kelly 8. J Evans 9. Dobbs 10. Bethard
The Anonymous Scout added,

Joel Klatt[SIZE=.9em]Verified account[/SIZE] @joelklatt
My Pre Combine QB Top 10 #NFLCombine #NFLDraft 1 Kizer 2 Watson 3 Trubisky…

The Anonymous Scout‏ @AnonyousNFLS  Feb 28

More

The Anonymous Scout Retweeted Joel Klatt

Eyes and Ears around tell me 1. Watson 2. Mahomes 3. Trubisky 4. Webb 5. Peterman 6. Kayaa 7. Kelly 8. J Evans 9. Dobbs 10. Bethard
The Anonymous Scout added,

Joel Klatt[SIZE=.9em]Verified account[/SIZE] @joelklatt
My Pre Combine QB Top 10 #NFLCombine #NFLDraft 1 Kizer 2 Watson 3 Trubisky…
No wonder he's Anonymous with no Kizer in top 10.

Shoots up? Kizer been at the top all along. Biggest upside of any qb in draft. 

The only people saying guys are moving up and down draft boards are fans and mock draft losers. They haven't played a single game in months. Most of these QBs were already pretty much set in order for most teams long before combine. 

And his combine performance isn't going to drop him any on most team's boards. 
Ok. 

:unsure: :sleep:

Actually I have to respond... unless you think the entirety of the combine is pointless, you gotta think a QB and their throwing performance is one of the most important showcases the entire weekend.  He was bad, like really bad. You don't think his inability to throw the ball accurately will drop him down a team's QB board?

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread