What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Summoned for jury duty (1 Viewer)

ghostguy123

Footballguy
Never been before.  This sucks.  I have no interest in this at all.  I dont even know if I will get paid by my work because of the way the schedule works. 

GUILTY!!!

:shrug: I just did my part in August.. There were about 30 of us there that day and at first I was really hoping to NOT get selected.. But once I was, the experience wasn't nearly as bad as some make it out to be..

Where I got REAL lucky, was that a trial that was scheduled the week before got settled the day before the trail was to begin... Had that one gone forward the Judge said they thought it would have lasted 2 to 3 weeks :eek:  

Be the crazy juror who gets kicked out.  could be done multiple ways.  say you know that guy and you want revenge

I got called and actually served on the jury. Was really very interesting and I'm glad I did it. Ours was pretty simple. Two charges - one we found guilty on and the other not guilty - even though he probably was.

Our group was unanimous in our opinion on the first go-round and our deliberation literally lasted about 5 minutes. Everyone was in the same place.

Did my first jury duty earlier this year. I had an out of town work event that came up last minute that I really wanted to go to but knew they wouldn't let me out for that. 

Not sure how big your city is but in my county which has a million plus there were hundreds of us each day. Half the people didn't even get selected.

You can delay it I'm sure but eventually will have to go.

Served on a civil case back in the summer.  Trial took a week , should have lasted a day.  On the bright side I did get to serve with some hot local radio rock girl finalist and get to hit up the food trucks and get some water ice

It's an inconvenience but it's actually a fun experience when you get selected.  You'll enjoy it.  Just don't get selected as an alternate.     :angry:  

I have only been at my new job a little over three months (just got my sign on bonus last week :banned: :pickle: ), and I just don't like having to do this at this point.  Our unit (remember, Ghostguy is a male nurse) is currently short staffed, and this is going to be a problem for them, even if it is only for a day or two.

I obviously am not worried at all about getting in trouble or anything, though I probably will not get paid which is huge pain if that is the case.  Sucks to have to use PTO.

GUILTY.  Can't I just mail them a letter saying GUILTY no matter what?

:shrug: I just did my part in August.. There were about 30 of us there that day and at first I was really hoping to NOT get selected.. But once I was, the experience wasn't nearly as bad as some make it out to be..

Where I got REAL lucky, was that a trial that was scheduled the week before got settled the day before the trail was to begin... Had that one gone forward the Judge said they thought it would have lasted 2 to 3 weeks :eek:  
I was on a jury for six weeks. Best free education I ever had. Saw a different side of things and it was rather interesting to boot. It was a civil case and I don't think I'd want to be on a big criminal case though. 

I was on a jury for six weeks. Best free education I ever had. Saw a different side of things and it was rather interesting to boot. It was a civil case and I don't think I'd want to be on a big criminal case though. 
Well, if your job isn't paying you, it certainly ain't "free".

My last experience was a car accident damages trial.  I saw the lawyer walk in and recognized him from all his damn billboards around town. :doh:   I get picked. They settle while we're waiting and I can say I served on a jury without technically doing so.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have only been at my new job a little over three months (just got my sign on bonus last week :banned: :pickle: ), and I just don't like having to do this at this point.  Our unit (remember, Ghostguy is a male nurse) is currently short staffed, and this is going to be a problem for them, even if it is only for a day or two.

I obviously am not worried at all about getting in trouble or anything, though I probably will not get paid which is huge pain if that is the case.  Sucks to have to use PTO.

I don't think the employer can make you use PTO for jury duty, but if they did, wouldn't you get paid? In any event, if it's really a problem for you, just call in and get it rescheduled. 

I don't think the employer can make you use PTO for jury duty, but if they did, wouldn't you get paid? In any event, if it's really a problem for you, just call in and get it rescheduled. 
Yes I would get paid if I used PTO, but then I would be using PTO.  I MIGHT want to take a vacations some day ya know. 

Rescheduling doesn't really help in any way.  Would it be better?  I suppose, but I run into the same problem of not getting paid.  It MIGHT be better for my coworkers if I rescheduled, but really impossible to know for sure. 

Not sure what you are looking for here? People have posted that it's not that bad. Some suggested you reschedule. Others gave suggestions on how to get thrown out your first day. It's not your fault you were selected for jury duty, so your employer can't hold it against you. Have you verified if your work pays you for jury duty? 

Thoughts and prayers to you and your family during this trying time?   :shrug:

Yes I would get paid if I used PTO, but then I would be using PTO.  I MIGHT want to take a vacations some day ya know. 

Rescheduling doesn't really help in any way.  Would it be better?  I suppose, but I run into the same problem of not getting paid.  It MIGHT be better for my coworkers if I rescheduled, but really impossible to know for sure. 
OK. Well, good luck.

Not sure what you are looking for here? People have posted that it's not that bad. Some suggested you reschedule. Others gave suggestions on how to get thrown out your first day. It's not your fault you were selected for jury duty, so your employer can't hold it against you. Have you verified if your work pays you for jury duty? 

Thoughts and prayers to you and your family during this trying time?   :shrug:
What am I looking for??  Nothing.  It sucks to have to mess with my money and my job.  Unless of course you are one of those people who think all the threads started here need to have an actual purpose :no:

I am sure sitting through jury duty isn't all that horrible. That isn't the issue. 

And barring an extended duty, pretty sure my job does not pay for 1 or 2 days (per a coworker I asked)

I know you're joking, but seriously what if your life depended on it? What if you where wronged and your only hope is the justice system.

Do the best you can. 
I have no idea why you are telling me this. 

I didn't plan to go there and be a D-bag.

Although, I am calling my shot now.  GUILTY

Just go in wearing a shirt with the confederate flag on it.... Should be enough to get you not selected.

In all criminal prosecutions, the accused shall enjoy the right to a speedy and public trial, by an impartial jury of the State and district wherein the crime shall have been committed...
People that weasel out of jury duty are just as bad as public assistance freeloaders IMO

Bad

Jury duty sucks (I've got to report in two weeks) but it's just one of the few actual duties we have as Americans.  
I might be one of the few people who thinks it shouldn't be.

I mean, cmon, you read some of the stuff people post here???  These are people you want deciding your fate?

OJ went free cause the jury had an agenda.  OJ??  You ever see the "Juice is Loose" video??  Worst song/video of all time.  Would have never existed if the jury convicted him.  Sad.

What am I looking for??  Nothing.  It sucks to have to mess with my money and my job.  Unless of course you are one of those people who think all the threads started here need to have an actual purpose :no:

I am sure sitting through jury duty isn't all that horrible. That isn't the issue. 

And barring an extended duty, pretty sure my job does not pay for 1 or 2 days (per a coworker I asked)
Oh, I apologize then. Hopefully you get a case that lasts multiple weeks?

The phone call the night before where they tell you that you're not needed.   Oh, what a feeling.    Free day off from work thank you very much.

I have been on jury duty for Ramsey County, Anoka County and Federal.  But I've always worked for megalocorps, so they paid me for the time I needed to be there.  The first I had to actually go in every morning and wait.  About 1/3 of the time they let us go home some where between noon and 2PM.

The most recent, you called in the night before and if your number was chosen you'd come in the next day.  Over 2 weeks I had to go in twice I think.

I have a feeling you'll say plenty enough dumb things in the voir dire process to not make any actual jury.  

People that weasel out of jury duty are just as bad as public assistance freeloaders IMO
No they're not.  I find them just as likeable/favorable as total morons who opt not to vote.  Society is far better off without their participation. 

Seriously.  Neither the state or the defense wants somebody on the jury who would willingly weasel out of jury duty.  If you really don't want to be there then we really don't want you there.  

No they're not.  I find them just as likeable/favorable as total morons who opt not to vote.  Society is far better off without their participation. 

Seriously.  Neither the state or the defense wants somebody on the jury who would willingly weasel out of jury duty.  If you really don't want to be there then we really don't want you there.  
well..yeah

But then again...those people should be inconvenienced with sitting in the jury services room for at least a day.

Got pulled for federal jury duty back in September. (would have had to drive down to Trenton every day....)  I was told I needed to be available for 2 weeks.  Obviously I couldn't schedule any meetings for those 2 weeks (knowing I could be out) and didn't schedule any meetings for the 2 weeks prior (knowing I wanted to be all caught up on work in case I had to go out)

In the end, I never had to go in. Had to call in 4 times over the course of those 2 weeks and my number was never pulled. But even so, it was a decent sized inconvenience.

Sconch said:
well..yeah

But then again...those people should be inconvenienced with sitting in the jury services room for at least a day.
Eh, but then others have to deal with their ####ty attitudes and there may be some rub off affect. 

I think ball cancer is the appropriate sanction. 

ghostguy123 said:
I know.  We nurses are such a terrible group of people. 

Nursing lives matter!!!!
How insecure are you being a nurse that you have to mention you're a nurse as often as you do?

Went through this last year. IN my city, it meant being on call every weekday for the entire month, with a call in after 5PM to find out if you had to be there the next day. Also a nurse, also was short -staffed. But they let me cross off about 10 days of "availability" where I would NOT have been called in. Turned out I went in 3 times, twice the case was settled before hand and I was in and out in 1/2 hour. Only once I worked the overnight shift beforehand and would have been paid the following night if I'd been scheduled. I missed zero work.

My hospital pays base salary for jury duty days if you sign over the jury duty check. Would think that's more common than not for nurses.

Sitting here, I wonder if you can show up, check in and then leave.   There's been a few times now when they're calling people to line up to go to a courtroom that the person they call isn't in the room; could be because they're in the bathroom or taking a smoke break.   At that point the lady doing the calling seems to just move on to the next person.  Now maybe that lady puts your name back in the queue to be called again.  

Another scenario is when you go into the courtroom for jury selection and you get out of that via hardship, you're supposed to go back to the room and put your self back into the queue. I wonder if you'd get lost in the system if you just went home instead.   

I'd like to test this out but I don't want to go to jail.  I'm really just bored as he'll. 

I have a feeling you'll say plenty enough dumb things in the voir dire process to not make any actual jury.  
I had someone tell me once they said they were staunch proponents of jury nullification, and that's apparently toxic if you mention it so they tell you to go home. :bs: or true? I have no law background at all so I wasn't able to throw a flag on this, but it seems too good to be true.

Been called, and actually served on a jury, twice in 4 years or so. 2 for 2.

First time I enjoyed it. This past time was ridiculous and I wanted to punch about half of the jury while we were in deliberations.

Users who are viewing this thread