What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jaime Collins traded to Browns... wth?! (1 Viewer)

Really curious to see what the compensation is. 3rd compensatory pick doesn't even make sense, since those can't be traded, iirc. Very odd.

Definitely a bump to Hightower, as he'll be most likely to stick as full time ILB. Elandon would be my guess as the next in line to see an uptick in production but I can also see sub package hell just destroying the value of any LB not named Hightower. Van Noy & Mingo as the recent additions have to be watch list guys but it may be Nink that gets the biggest boost in playing time now that he's a few games deep after his injury/suspension. 

Really curious to see what the compensation is. 3rd compensatory pick doesn't even make sense, since those can't be traded, iirc. Very odd.

Definitely a bump to Hightower, as he'll be most likely to stick as full time ILB. Elandon would be my guess as the next in line to see an uptick in production but I can also see sub package hell just destroying the value of any LB not named Hightower. Van Noy & Mingo as the recent additions have to be watch list guys but it may be Nink that gets the biggest boost in playing time now that he's a few games deep after his injury/suspension. 

I think they can be starting in 2017

Last edited by a moderator:
Comp picks can be traded, but the Browns don't have a 3rd.  They have two 1's, two 2's, and their 3rd, which is going to be a top 3 pick in the 3rd.

Once the Pats knew they weren't going to re-sign him, his compensation went from a comp 3rd rounder (a 4th rounder by any realistic definition), to whatever they could get.

Getting the Browns 3rd rounder is like a 2 round jump, AND a year earlier than a Collins comp pick.  

Reading now that it was a conditional 3rd round comp pick, if they aren't awarded a 3rd round comp pick the Pats will receive a regular 4th rounder.

This trade is back to the bad column for me.
From Run it Up in the Pats thread.

Hightower and Roberts are both available in my league - am I right in assuming Hightower is the more attractive waiver pickup?

I think this confirms the Pats love affair with Roberts. Kudos to the guys who unearthed him weeks ago.
I think it confirms NEP philosophy of no one except Brady is safe.  Read that Collins has been freelancing a lot on D lately and this would serve to send a message.  You do your job or you end up in Cleveland in your contract year.

They have been sending this message for 15 years.  

I only wish we didn't have to read about how garbage Player X was after he is gone.  
It definitely felt like a smear campaign, perhaps carried out through BB's puppy Michael Lombardi.

Real question is whether Collins gets unleashed this week in Cleveland... when you pay a mid-round pick for a guy, odds are you buck up and put him on the field, and against Dallas it's probably, "See Zeke.  Tackle Zeke."  But idk... defenses are complicated.

I just lost Jatavis Brown for a few weeks, so I need an IDP fill-in pronto (especially for this week -- so Roberts isn't an option either).

It definitely felt like a smear campaign, perhaps carried out through BB's puppy Michael Lombardi.
I don't put it on the Pats, I don't think BB calls his buddies and tells them to smear Collins.  Lombardi is not a puppet, he's a clown.  They look similar, tho.  

I put it on the media and fans, who feel the need to rationalize every move.  

Pats make a trade that everyone would knock if it came from any other team.  Fact.  You trade your best LB  in the middle of a title run, for a 4th rounder, people will be killing you.  Also, we were all told in the spring that Jones was traded because Collins needed to be re-signed, and was clearly more valuable than the flashy pass rusher.  OK, so who are the Pats re-signing with all this money?  Pats have a TON of cap room next year, by the way.

Hey, if the Pats do NOT win the big one this year, and lose because they get outscored in the playoffs, I believe it's fair to wonder if Chandler Jones and Jamie Collins would have made a difference.  

One thing is this:  I am cool with trading players if you know you aen't going to re-sign them.  That makes sense.  Chandler Jones and Jamie Collins?  I dunno, think I would have tried to keep one of them.  

I don't put it on the Pats, I don't think BB calls his buddies and tells them to smear Collins.  Lombardi is not a puppet, he's a clown.  They look similar, tho.  

I put it on the media and fans, who feel the need to rationalize every move.  

Pats make a trade that everyone would knock if it came from any other team.  Fact.  You trade your best LB  in the middle of a title run, for a 4th rounder, people will be killing you.  Also, we were all told in the spring that Jones was traded because Collins needed to be re-signed, and was clearly more valuable than the flashy pass rusher.  OK, so who are the Pats re-signing with all this money?  Pats have a TON of cap room next year, by the way.

Hey, if the Pats do NOT win the big one this year, and lose because they get outscored in the playoffs, I believe it's fair to wonder if Chandler Jones and Jamie Collins would have made a difference.  

One thing is this:  I am cool with trading players if you know you aen't going to re-sign them.  That makes sense.  Chandler Jones and Jamie Collins?  I dunno, think I would have tried to keep one of them.  
To be clear, I called him a puppy -- as in following BB and begging to be part of his organization again.

Real question is whether Collins gets unleashed this week in Cleveland... when you pay a mid-round pick for a guy, odds are you buck up and put him on the field, and against Dallas it's probably, "See Zeke.  Tackle Zeke."  But idk... defenses are complicated.

I just lost Jatavis Brown for a few weeks, so I need an IDP fill-in pronto (especially for this week -- so Roberts isn't an option either).
Toomer?

They have been sending this message for 15 years.  

I only wish we didn't have to read about how garbage Player X was after he is gone.  
I agree. But we already know the huddled masses are stupid. Fan bases aren't any better. Add the media BS whereby idiots look to save face by claiming some kind of insider knowledge and rationalize it all away and things become even more stupid. Collins is an excellent player in his prime. He's a great asset to any team. Saying otherwise is just lickspittle douchbaggery and/or face saving "I didn't get scooped" media morons. The pats will miss Collins. Roberts won't be an adequate replacement. I think you even mentioned it in your snap count thread with an inactive player that was a surprise yet a few twitfaces claimed it was "as expected" minutes prior to kickoff. 

The Patiots will still be good enough to win a Superbowl and might, since the competition seems to get worse each year. That doesn't mean Collins is suddenly trash and the team won't miss him. 

Kyle Emmanuel might be a very interesting add for a quick fix

Every bit of news I can find about Jamie Collins is about the Patriots perspective. I want to know how much he's going to play this week.

^ Seriously. It's really annoying. Let's all circle jerk and discuss all the points that don't matter b/c what's done is done... no need to talk about ACTUAL football information. That's just stupid. I have him benched for the moment. Stupar is probably the guy I would sub out but I can't get any info on CLE plans to deploy him this weekend or even any practice notes 3 full ####### days into his Browns tenure. I hate the media.

This [pathetic little] blurb is the only thing I find relating to actual football practices. --> LINK <-- (to be fair, I didn't watch the video lol)

Hue Jackson doesn’t want to waste any time with the newest component of Cleveland’s defense.

Jackson said Monday the Browns coaches will work with newly acquired linebacker Jamie Collins "day and night if we have to" in order to have him ready for Sunday’s game against the Dallas Cowboys. Jackson called the Pro Bowl linebacker a “tremendous football player” who is capable of handling a number of roles within the Browns’ defense.

“I think he is a tremendous pass rusher. He can play linebacker, I think there are several things he can do,” Jackson said. “He has a real versatile skill set you know because he has done both there in New England so we will definitely find ways to plug him in and have him be a contributing member to our defense.”

“We see a player that is very talented and has a tremendous skill set that fits in with what we do, so he is a Cleveland Brown now,” Jackson said.

The Browns have presented a number of different looks on their young defense throughout the season, and a number of the players have been used at multiple spots. In New England, Collins was used as a Sam linebacker in the team’s 4-3 base defense. At Southern Miss, Collins entered as an athlete, began his career at safety and finished up at linebacker.

The next few days and coming weeks will focus on positioning Collins in the best possible place to make the most possible plays.

“I think it is where his comfort level is, what is most important and then we will kind of work around that,” Jackson said.

Browns players have yet to meet their newest teammate, but they left the building Monday after a day’s worth of film evaluation, meetings and treatment excited about the prospects. Wide receiver Terrelle Pryor said Collins stood out on tape when he prepared for the Patriots earlier in the month, and rookie Corey Coleman lauded the front office for bringing in another piece the Browns can build with as they look to construct a roster that can come together and thrive in the present and future.

“It is the league, it is all about getting players to make plays and getting the best players out there. He is one of the better linebackers that is in the league, so why not get a jump on him and bring him in?” linebacker Christian Kirksey said. “I think it is a good move for us to bring a veteran guy in, bring a guy that knows how to win and knows how to make plays, and we will see where he fits in on this defense.”

http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/article-5/Browns-excited-to-plug-Jamie-Collins-wherever-he-can-help-defense-/69a23996-ae1b-469a-addd-fb4e11b677bd

I like the fact that Collins is playing for a contract next year.  Double barrel motivation:  Prove the Pats wrong and get "Von money".

Let's go, Collins.  

Every bit of news I can find about Jamie Collins is about the Patriots perspective. I want to know how much he's going to play this week.
Jamie Collins is going to help immediately in one huge problem area for the Browns defense and that is covering the tight end.  The Browns were using nickel LB Tracy Howard in sub packages and MLB Demario Davis is their base set and both were terrible, especially Demario.  Collins is a HUGE improvement and 'should' definitely be in on sub packages this weekend.

I wouldn't expect that he would be used as he was in NE where he was allowed to freelance and make plays that he has until he gets up to speed on the scheme and terminology of Ray Horton's defense.  I know Hue Jackson said he was a good pass rusher but he only has 10 sacks according to the stories I have seen but he has 10 forced fumbles which is impressive.  In any case, I think they initially would want to exploit his TE coverage ability since that has been a major weakness on the Browns defense.  

IOWs, don't expect much IDP production this weekend.

NYRAGE said:
Does this cut into Kirksey's playing time?
I doubt it. 

NE used Collins as a Swiss Army Knife and lined him up everywhere, seeking weakness' along the opposition's offensive line but Browns HC Hue Jackson mentioned his pass rush and ability to cover the TE.  I think they initially are going to use him in sub packages and ease him in on the outside and keep Kirksey and Demario Davis on the inside.  

Kirksey has been playing 'lights out'.  He is young and one of the building blocks.  They drafted Ogbah high in the 2nd round and he is starting to come along and Collins is in his prime so I am sure they are going forward with those three.  Demario Davis was a free agent this year and he is a solid two-down run stuffer but not much of a pass rusher and his weakness is covering tight ends.

If anything, when they move Jamie Collins inside Davis would be the odd man out IMHO not Kirksey.

Thanks. Even as a Jets fan, Collins is one of my favorite LBs. I wasn't too impressed with Davis during his Jets days. Kirksey looks like a good young player from the couple of games that I've seen him play.  I think it was on this site (one of the defensive articles) that there would probably be a 3 man rotation.

5 tackles, 3 assists... seems pretty reasonable given the situation - though I didn't see the game.  I suppose the snap count will shed more light.

5 tackles, 3 assists... seems pretty reasonable given the situation - though I didn't see the game.  I suppose the snap count will be more shed more light.
Watched parts of it.  He seemed to be very active, and around the ball whenever I looked for him.

Don't know what his % was though.  Have to figure by next week it will be quite high.

Figured fir sure Collins would step right in and delegate Davis to a byatander, but he had one of his better games. Surely it wasn't Kirksey that played less. There was a Rotoworld blurb yesterday that said Collins would spend base downs on the outside, and considering the score they spent most the day in a base defense so Collins,  Davis, and Kirksey could have spent a lot of time on the field together

That's a great LB matchup.  Lots of runs, lots of throws to the TE from the Mesozoic era, lots of underneath routes for the rookie QB, no turnovers.  It will very interesting to see his usage going forward.  He's a UFA so they may want to appeal to his creative side, lining him up outside and letting him run wild a bit.  Hes a good pass rusher so could do some blitzing, some coverage, some freelancing. 

Figured fir sure Collins would step right in and delegate Davis to a byatander, but he had one of his better games. Surely it wasn't Kirksey that played less. There was a Rotoworld blurb yesterday that said Collins would spend base downs on the outside, and considering the score they spent most the day in a base defense so Collins,  Davis, and Kirksey could have spent a lot of time on the field together

I thought they would ease him in initially on base sets and replace the weakest point of the LBers on the outside but didn't think he would see that much action so soon.

It appears he replaced Joe Schobert on the outside but Joe got in on a play or two.  I haven't seen the snap counts but it 'appears' that Kirksey and Demario Davis won't get taken off the field right now.  

I think Ray Horton will try to use Jamie as the Elephant like Belichick did but that won't happen until he knows his assignments better.

Sunday he dropped coverage on TE Jason Whitten for an easy score early in the game.  Whitten had a huge game but it all began with that play.  One of Jamie's strength is supposed to be covering the TE so that has to get cleaned up.  

Add, the reason why Belichick dumped Collins has come out.  It wasn't just anticipated contract demands or blown assignments as had been leaked, the real reason finally came out.  He was clashing with the coaches and was a mutual parting of the ways so he's got a chip on his shoulder and I expect a heck of a lot more from him going forward once he is up to speed.

I thought they would ease him in initially on base sets and replace the weakest point of the LBers on the outside but didn't think he would see that much action so soon.

It appears he replaced Joe Schobert on the outside but Joe got in on a play or two.  I haven't seen the snap counts but it 'appears' that Kirksey and Demario Davis won't get taken off the field right now.  

I think Ray Horton will try to use Jamie as the Elephant like Belichick did but that won't happen until he knows his assignments better.

Sunday he dropped coverage on TE Jason Whitten for an easy score early in the game.  Whitten had a huge game but it all began with that play.  One of Jamie's strength is supposed to be covering the TE so that has to get cleaned up.  

Add, the reason why Belichick dumped Collins has come out.  It wasn't just anticipated contract demands or blown assignments as had been leaked, the real reason finally came out.  He was clashing with the coaches and was a mutual parting of the ways so he's got a chip on his shoulder and I expect a heck of a lot more from him going forward once he is up to speed.
Kirksey 100%

Collins 100%

Davis 67%

Ogbah 67%

Cam Johnson 42%

Schobert 23%

From everything I've seen, heard, read, Jamie Collins is going to have a huge year.

He's not a secret but IMHO he's undervalued at this time.

Bump Collins back up?  He was having a great game in week 2 before being concussed.  Should be back this week.  Thoughts on his usage going forward? 

Browns DC Greg Williams is on record as saying Collins 'might' be the best LB he's ever coached.

I am not sure of his health status so based on that I don't know what to expect but if he's completely healthy then I think he's going to be 'thee key player' that the defense revolves around.

Greg Williams already has the Browns blitzing like crazy and that was without Myles Garrett to take attention away and to apply pressure so the blitz hadn't been effective.

With Garrett back and gaining health every week, I think Collins will be very effective as a blitzer and will be creating big plays but both Collins and Garrett have to get healthy.

Garrett still isn't 100% and I don't know if Jamie will be on a limited snap count or if he's 100% or if he will be more susceptible to further concussions so you will have to monitor the situation.

Users who are viewing this thread