What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ever worked for a company that was delisted? All's well that ends well. Accepted a new job today. (1 Viewer)

KCitons

Footballguy
Current company is at the early stages of possibly being delisted from Nasdaq. 30 days below $1. What should I expect? 

P.S. I started hiding office supplies last month and bought a cashmere sweater for the cleaning lady. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Current company is at the early stages of possibly being delisted from Nasdaq. 30 days below $1. What should I expect? 

P.S. I started hiding office supplies last month and bought a cashmere sweater for the cleaning lady. 
It was a long time ago. Long story short, the company was carved up into pieces and the piece I was stuck in got bought by a private interest, and about 6 months later about half the employees were let go (with two weeks severance).

Fun times! I remember a lot of water cooler talk about anonymous users airing dirty laundry about the company on Yahoo's financial message boards.

I've been looking. I think we still have a couple years.
You sleep well with that thought.

Worked for a company that got delisted and almost immediately filed bankruptcy. We came out of it and went on to be a very successful company that was purchased 3 years later for over a $1b. After all the dust settled I was talking to the old controller who said we were 7 days away from selling everything but an investor came in, bought all the debt & resurrected the company.

I'd update the resume, get recommendation letters in line and start looking with intent but that's me.

Worked for a company that got delisted and almost immediately filed bankruptcy. We came out of it and went on to be a very successful company that was purchased 3 years later for over a $1b. After all the dust settled I was talking to the old controller who said we were 7 days away from selling everything but an investor came in, bought all the debt & resurrected the company.

I'd update the resume, get recommendation letters in line and start looking with intent but that's me.
Yeah, start looking now.

Look at it this way, at least you are getting a heads up that the company is in trouble and you could be out of a job in the near future.

I was with a company that filed bankruptcy and it dragged on for about one and half years. They eventually got new ownership and a bunch of the employees stayed but I bounced (along with all management).

I'm absolutely looking to move. been looking for a few months. I was just curious what happened/how quickly things happened with other companies. there are a lot of people here that are clueless. feel bad for them.

Yeah it takes a while for deals to happen, but something could already be 6 months or so in the works. Are you aware of potential buyers? I worked for a public company that hovered in the $3-$10 range, then when it fell under $1 things moved really quickly. I got out a year or so before it dropped under a buck because the writing was on the wall for a long time.

TheWalkmen said:
 Are you aware of potential buyers?
As I understand it, the majority owners are a private equity firm. Their track record is to buy companies to create 10 year funds. At the end they sell and move on. From what I was told, they rarely keep a business like ours outside of the 10 year term. (we are 8 years into the 10 year term) Rumors are the CEO has been looking for potential buyers. 

Curious how they value a company once it's been delisted. It would seem to me the evaluation would be somewhere between $1 and zero. Probably closer to zero. 

Axe falling today. Rumor is, multiple people getting pink slips. Let's see if I make it to lunch. 

Not sure which I'm rooting for. Severance and move on, or hang out awhile longer and watch this circus unravel.

I've been looking. I think we still have a couple years.

Axe falling today. Rumor is, multiple people getting pink slips. Let's see if I make it to lunch. 
This beer 30 guy is freaking prophetic!

Seriously, hope it works out. If you are offered a severance I'd jump on it and not look back. Unless you are high up in the food chain it's been my experience that the only people who benefit from sticking it out to the end are the ones that usually have an extra 0 in their paycheck to start with. Workerbee's don't tend to fair well.

It was a long time ago. Long story short, the company was carved up into pieces and the piece I was stuck in got bought by a private interest, and about 6 months later about half the employees were let go (with two weeks severance).

Fun times! I remember a lot of water cooler talk about anonymous users airing dirty laundry about the company on Yahoo's financial message boards.
I had the same experience many years ago. To make it even more awesome was the fact that I was the guy who got HR coming over every few weeks to disable accounts as they were laying off employees. 

Get your resume updated PRONTO. The company can and will update their severence policy to whack any bennies you think you may have coming to you.

Almost lunchtime. My boss is gone. My bosses boss is gone. They rolled the 3 remaining people in our dept into another dept.

I've been looking for another job and had a job offer, but it was a pay cut. Financially, I'm not worried about losing this job, or finding another. As I mentioned in a different thread, our monthly expenses are cheap and I don't have health insurance through this job. Basically, my pay goes towards retirement. 

I do feel bad for the people that were living paycheck to paycheck.

Almost lunchtime. My boss is gone. My bosses boss is gone. They rolled the 3 remaining people in our dept into another dept.

I've been looking for another job and had a job offer, but it was a pay cut. Financially, I'm not worried about losing this job, or finding another. As I mentioned in a different thread, our monthly expenses are cheap and I don't have health insurance through this job. Basically, my pay goes towards retirement. 

I do feel bad for the people that were living paycheck to paycheck.
Are you saying that you are the only guy left? 

No. There were 5 of us in the dept. Plus 7 in the field. Now there are 3 in the office and soon to be 6 in the field.

I didn't get a severance. I'm still employed. Should I still leave my soiled pants in the bathroom. 

I await your direction.

So you got delisted?

I was at a company that was under threat of being delisted from NASDAQ for about a year, but they have staved it off.  First they did a 1:4 split which sent the stock price from $.60 to $2.40.  Then it went down close to $1 again and the CEO gave the company a $1M loans at 17% APR with a maturity date of 3 days.  Crap like that.  Anyway the point is, there are tricks the can pull to stay on NASDAQ.  Thank god I moved on right after the split.  

When I started many years ago the stock had been firmly above $10 for 20 years.  When I signed on I got RSUs worth about $60k if the stock had remained at the same level, that ended up being worth about 500 bucks when they vested.  When you get RSUs you kind of count on them being worth *something* and the stock not diving 97%.

Hang in there.  Always be looking to go somewhere else.  Do something every day related to job search, even if it's small.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like we aren't going to make it to the delisting deadline. Someone leaked to the press that bankruptcy is coming by months end. Big wigs scrambling all afternoon with damage control. 

Should be a fun week. 

I am guessing you are not high enough up the food chain to negotiate a stay bonus.  Any idea if they are going to try and do an 11 or if they are just going strait to liquidating 7?  Make sure they get the wage motion filed first day so that you still get paid.  Report back often.  Oh, and you probably don't have to work as hard now. 

Users who are viewing this thread