What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2016-17 Hot Stove League: Let's just give it to Jerry Di Poto won it because Seattle never wins anything (1 Viewer)

Eephus

Footballguy
Free Agent list was here but I got sick of scrolling while editing the title.
Brad Ziegler is here to prove my story.

Last edited by a moderator:
I suspect the market for relief pitchers is going to be nuts this time around. Some very high quality names out there at a time when bullpens are ascendent. 

Prediction: All the action happens in the trade market. That free agent list is deplorable.

Various club options already picked up:

Matt Moore, SF

Jaimie Garcie, StL

Wade Davis, KC

Alcides Escobar, KC

Gio Gonzales, WASH

Carlos Santana, CLE

Jonathan Lucroy, TX

Jay Bruce, NYM

Option not exercised:

Ryan Howard, Charlie Morton, Yusmerio Petit

Garcia and Gio might be trade chips since both St. Louis and Washington are one of a few teams with SP depth.

Escobar's option is pretty cheap $6.5M but he's not very good either (0.9 rWAR combined over the 2015 & 16 seasons).  There are worse MLB shortstops and Raul Mondesi Jr. hasn't shown he can step into the job.

I'm curious if some AL team offers Howard a ML contract to DH at age 37 or if he just takes his career earnings and home runs into the sunset.

I'm curious if some AL team offers Howard a ML contract to DH at age 37 or if he just takes his career earnings and home runs into the sunset.
The problem here is that you're only getting a partial DH. He can, under no circumstance, start a game at DH against LHP.

Probably because I have him in a keeper league, and this would likely be a best case scenario, but why do I get the feeling that EE's going to be playing 1B for the Rockies next year?

Barely agate type news this offseason but Matt Holliday's $17MM is not going to be picked up.  STL will buy him out for $1MM.  Both parties have said their thank-yous and goodbyes.

I suspect it is more likely than not that he gets an offer, but the question is does he really feel going through all that and possibly even not being guaranteed a spot for just a couple million.

23 rWAR in a Cardinals uniform.  It was a good run.
I didn't appreciate him properly.  Got too hung up on his defense, took his bat for granted.  

He might have another year or two left as a DH, but he's done playing in the field.  He's also an interesting broadcasting prospect if it interests him.

I didn't appreciate him properly.  Got too hung up on his defense, took his bat for granted.  

He might have another year or two left as a DH, but he's done playing in the field.  He's also an interesting broadcasting prospect if it interests him.
Has White Sox written all over him.

Anaheim gets Maybin. Don't know what they gave up but I think I like the deal.
Fringe top-10 guy in the worst farm system in baseball. I don't think he will be missed. Clear salary cut for the Tigers. I like the idea of trying Maybin in a corner OF spot. Clearly you guys have CF on lockdown.

LF has been a disaster area for the Anaheims for years so Maybin will be an improvement if he can stay in the lineup. 

Norichika Aoki claimed by Houston on waivers.  I like Nori but the Astros' provisional OF looks weaker than in previous years. 

Regular PAs for Aoki and Jake Marisnick will give back some of the offense gained by their star middle infield.

Last edited by a moderator:
Phillies trade for pat neshek.  Any bullpen help will do.

josh Johnson signs minor league deal with giants.

Astros, giants, angels and Phillies fire up the hot stove.

Cubs decline Jason Hammel's option.

As upbeat and positive Joe Maddon strives to be, he could not hide how much he disliked Hammel personally. He yanked him early from games several times, and left him to drown in others. There was a game in Colorado where Hammel looked like he was throwing BP, and Joe just stood in the corner of the dugout with his arms folded. Hammel's line=3.1 IP/10 H/10 R

Seems like an odd move. A 1 year, 12 million dollar above average pitcher is attractive to a lot of teams. Hell, the Red Sox just picked up Buchholz's 13.5 option and he was gross this past year.

Yeah, somewhat curious. The buyout was 2mm, so it was a 10mm decision to keep him around?

Seems likely that CHC will try and swing a trade for SP help, but if Hammel's out of favor, it seems like they could've used him as a trade bait, either in a challenge trade or for prospects to replace the prospects they'd presumably give up for his replacements.

But I'm sitting on my couch and they're a juggernaut. :shrug:

Theo was quoted as saying they didn't want to just sign him to the one year deal only to trade him. That way, they are giving him the chance to sign a multi-year deal. That's nice and all, but doesn't seem like the best decision for the ball club

Seattle acquires Carlos Ruiz from the Dodgers for LHP Vidal Nuno.

Chooch will be 38 by opening day but is coming off a good year including leading the NL in CS%.  He'll presumably back up Zunino but Sweet Jesus Sucre may be in the mix as well.

Nuno could be a decent LOOGY if he can reduce his HRs allowed.  His splits against LHB were very good in 2015 but not so much in 2016.

Milwaukee and Dodgers supposedly talking about a Braun for Puig trade. Milwaukee believes they hold most of the leverage (Dodgers desperately need someone to hit LH) so they are asking for more than just Puig, as well as the Dodgers picking up the entirety of Braun's remaining contract, which is almost eighty million.  

Milwaukee and Dodgers supposedly talking about a Braun for Puig trade. Milwaukee believes they hold most of the leverage (Dodgers desperately need someone to hit LH) so they are asking for more than just Puig, as well as the Dodgers picking up the entirety of Braun's remaining contract, which is almost eighty million.  
Oh Puig is just gonna love Milwaukee.  :mellow:

R.A. Dickey to the Braves 1 yr/ 8 mil with an option for 2018.

Cardinals to stretch Rosenthal out as a potential starter. Joins a crowded pool of potentials: Martinez, Reyes, Wainwright, Leake, Garcia, Lynn, Wacha.

White Sox are listening to offers for Chris Sale at GM meetings.

Astros supposedly aggressive in trade market, with Miguel Cabrera and Brian McCann as interesting names rumored.

Matt Holliday rumored to be an option for a return to Colorado.

Dickey seems like a good low risk move for Atlanta, especially considering the paucity of FA starters.  Unless his knuckler stops knuckling, he'll eat average innings every fifth day.  If he's good, he'll return a prospect at the deadline.

The Rosenthal news is November talk.  We'll see come April but there's no downside now.

Holliday or Napoli would make sense as Rockies 1B.  Those guys should be able to exceed the production of Parra, Reynolds and Paulsen from their rocking chair.

Of course the White Sox will listen to offers for Sale.

Cabrera is essentially the same age as Encarnacion.  Cabrera is the better player but I think I'd rather have Encarnacion for 5/125 and a draft pick than Cabrera at 7/212 plus players and prospects.

Let's be honest, the best news out of that signing is that Colon will be hitting again next year.

Blue Jays sign Cuban Lourdes Guerriel Jr. 7 year/22M. Sounds like he can hit and play multiple positions, anyone know more?
I thought he would get more. He's toolsy, not the production of his big brother but high ceiling potential wise(i.e. Tremendous Upside)  

Lourdes Jr. doesn't have the skills/reputation of his father or brother.  I think his value will be heavily position dependent.  He's a big dude but there are questions whether his bat will play at a CI or OF position.  If he can handle a MI position defensively, the bar is set much lower.

He's a risk/reward pick but locking him in for his entire 20s could prove to be a shrewd move for Atkins.  On the downside, they may have just guaranteed $22M to the next Alex Guerrero or Rusney Castillo.

Users who are viewing this thread