What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

UFFL Comissioner is a cheater! (1 Viewer)

Mark Football

Footballguy
WARNING! DO NOT JOIN ANY UFFL LEAGUES! Earlier this season I caught the commissioner cheating.  He switched out Gronk from his Bounty Hunters lineup after he put up a dud. I  inquired about it on the league chat board and my message was soon thereafter erased and he contacted me over the phone and said the "owner" of the Bounty Hunters said he did have Gronk in there originally so he switched them back. I let it go because I didn't have the photo proof. Well now I do. He cheated again this week when he switched out Antone Smith for Dwyane Allen in the middle of the game and not only that he dropped Smith and picked up Allen in the middle of the game and there is no transaction record of it! Not only that he took his name off as the owner of the bounty hunters. But just look at the owner of the bounty hunters on the plaque of past winners. Imagine that. Sent from my iPhone

Sent from my iPhone

Last edited by a moderator:
Holy cow. Shocked to read this.

I am the Commissioner of that league and not an owner in the league as I gave my redraft teams to Soldiers in the unit from which I just retired from.

Yes, I change lineups for owners and try to do so before games are played but as I explained to the owner, I just moved across the country and got to it late Thursday.

I run 14 leagues and have submitted lineups for owners on three occasions and submitted one waiver move, mainly for guys who are out country.

I did not change any names on a plaque and may return to the league next season but you will not.

Dave

My leagues are mainly for friends I've made over the 25 years I served in the military. It's a good way to keep in touch as we are always moving from unit to unit.

I have one brother who is also in this league and happens to play against the owner I made the lineup change for.

I never want to create a controversy and try to act above reproach but since he contacted both myself and my brother, I didn't and don't see the lineup change as an issue.

Anyway, guess this happens when you invite people you don't know to join a league but I really don't like to see my name on a public message board when I didn't do anything wrong. 

I wouldnt be cool with the changing lineups for anyone after the game starts. Change his own lineup, make a post on the message board prior to the game. Something has to be said before game time so everyone knows.

He was at work on his gov computer. He can access his e-mail and Rotoworld but not the MFL league site. He read that Peyton Barber was listed as a starter over Antone Smith. He texted and e-mailed us (opponent) that he wanted Smith pulled from his lineup and asked if I could do it. I was driving and got the message after I pulled into a rest area, sometime after kickoff of the Thursday game.

I have an empty house with a moving Pod out front if anyone would like a screenshot of that.

Serenity now.

My leagues are mainly for friends I've made over the 25 years I served in the military. It's a good way to keep in touch as we are always moving from unit to unit.

I have one brother who is also in this league and happens to play against the owner I made the lineup change for.

I never want to create a controversy and try to act above reproach but since he contacted both myself and my brother, I didn't and don't see the lineup change as an issue.

Anyway, guess this happens when you invite people you don't know to join a league but I really don't like to see my name on a public message board when I didn't do anything wrong. 
Changing lineups could be considered wrong.  But you appear to have the best of intentions and your intent in forming the leagues and giving teams to redeploying Soldiers certainly have my support.  

He was at work on his gov computer. He can access his e-mail and Rotoworld but not the MFL league site. He read that Peyton Barber was listed as a starter over Antone Smith. He texted and e-mailed us (opponent) that he wanted Smith pulled from his lineup and asked if I could do it. I was driving and got the message after I pulled into a rest area, sometime after kickoff of the Thursday game.

I have an empty house with a moving Pod out front if anyone would like a screenshot of that.

Serenity now.
In this case, post the time stamp on the league message board, then it's a non issue imo  (assuming you'd do that for anyone, no favoritism)

Still not sure which side to favor...why does a commish need to change lineups for an owner?  Don't owners all have that ability these days?
Speaking as a commissioner in another league, I occasionally have to help out a team with a lineup change. Some of my friends travel for work, some have jobs where they can't be jerking off on FFB sites - grown-up type jobs, hospitals, or other limited access type places. Once a friend who was going to be on an airplane had a player who was listed as questionable and was said to be 50-50 to play. Team asked me to monitor status and if he didn't play to swap out for X player. So I did that for him. All in a day's work for a commish and all perfectly reasonable. Unlike this topic. 

So occasionally they'll call in a change or have a change on notice for whatever reason, and if I'm at a market in the AM I can't access either so I'll do the change when I get home. That said I'll usually post up a message to inform the league that I'm going to make the change, and that the owner contacted me. You know, to avoid topics like this. :lol:  

You could forward the time-stamped email asking for the Smith/Allen switch, correct?

Yea, I wish I could have gotten to it earlier but the opponent (my brother) was cool with it so I didn't see the problem.

25 years, maybe 3-4 issues over the years, mainly with the site being down or a draft timer expiring. Didn't think this would be an issue.

break

Just talked to the Antone Smith owner who said put an empty slot in his lineup.

He doesn't care.

Speaking as a commissioner in another league, I occasionally have to help out a team with a lineup change. Some of my friends travel for work, some have jobs where they can't jerking off on FFB sites - grown-up type jobs, hospitals, or other limited access type places. Once a friend had a player who was listed as questionable and was said to be 50-50 to play. Team asked me to monitor status and if he didn't play to swap out for X player. So I did that for him. All in a day's work for a commish and all perfectly reasonable. Unlike this topic. 

So occasionally they'll call in a change or have a change on notice for whatever reason, and if I'm at a market in the AM I can't access either so I'll do the change when I get home. That said I'll usually post up a message to inform the league that I'm going to make the change, and that the owner contacted me. You know, to avoid topics like this. :lol:  
Yeah, the commish needs to be transparent if he's doing stuff like this.  Nothing hidden, no surprises, equal treatment.  Then if owners still don't like it, they can leave. 

I dunno here, think he's laying on the military angle a little thick here, pandering to the jury.

Good move, Dave

Not my intent to pander to anyone.

It's just a fact that a lot of the owners are currently in the military and do not have access to the site like a lot of other people.

I try to help them out within the rules if notification is made before kickoff of a game and their opponent is notified.

Again, I'm not in this league and do not make any profit. The leagues pay out 100%.

Anyway, I'm comfortable with my actions and going to drive on.

Not my intent to pander to anyone.

It's just a fact that a lot of the owners are currently in the military and do not have access to the site like a lot of other people.

I try to help them out within the rules if notification is made before kickoff of a game and their opponent is notified.

Again, I'm not in this league and do not make any profit. The leagues pay out 100%.

Anyway, I'm comfortable with my actions and going to drive on.
Carry on :salute: 

I'm sure someone with MFL can tell us if a commissioner initiated move shows on transaction log. 
:no:   It comes up as if the owner did it, only way you'd know is if the move happened at a time the owner couldn't do it (like when the waivers are locked)

Yeah, the commish needs to be transparent if he's doing stuff like this.  Nothing hidden, no surprises, equal treatment.  Then if owners still don't like it, they can leave. 
Yep - you either trust your commish, or you know where the door is. ;)  

:no:   It comes up as if the owner did it, only way you'd know is if the move happened at a time the owner couldn't do it (like when the waivers are locked)
Isn't there a commissioner lockout status function though? I often get the notice when Commish logs in as Commish and if this happens (which should be very rare) at the same time a move like this happens you pretty much know it was the Commish and not the owner.

I'm sure someone with MFL can tell us if a commissioner initiated move shows on transaction log. 
It sounds like there's no denial by the commish - the move was requested and the commish made it. 

Sounds legit to me. 

And hey, it seems like maybe an email to the commish to ask him/her instead of calling them out on a public FFB forum might be the cooler head prevailing. I know that's what I'd do if it happened in a league I didn't commission. 

I've done this as commish in my leagues on more than one occasion...always put in the MFL lineup comments field, what I did and when and why.

Someone else said it....Transparency.

Since I've been posting a bunch lately, me and Hot Sauce Guy seems to be in the same threads. Hey HSG, I wouldn't make for an owner a move based on a 50/50 scenario that was posted above. I'd make the owner make a decision...not leave it up to the commish to put in a guy at the last second. Doing that is kinda asking for trouble. That said, I'm sure you know what you are doing ;)

Agreed. It should go in the bylaws as well.

To be honest I'm not a big fan of Commish monitoring another owners players status and making swap for them if they are out. Can you imagaine if every owner asked this of Commish?

Since I've been posting a bunch lately, me and Hot Sauce Guy seems to be in the same threads. Hey HSG, I wouldn't make for an owner a move based on a 50/50 scenario that was posted above. I'd make the owner make a decision...not leave it up to the commish to put in a guy at the last second. Doing that is kinda asking for trouble. That said, I'm sure you know what you are doing ;)
It wasn't a 50-50 scenario. He set his lineup and said "if the guy in his lineup is OUT, please swap in [specific player]."

I then posted to the message board of the league that I was going to do that.

he was on an airplane and this was before wifi on planes. 

And it's a straightforward ask with 0 ethical question in my opinion. So what's the issue with it?

transparency. 

That said, I've been commish of my league for a decade. Even if I forgot to post it because I got busy no one in my league would think I was cheating.  track record helps. 

Agreed. It should go in the bylaws as well.

To be honest I'm not a big fan of Commish monitoring another owners players status and making swap for them if they are out. Can you imagaine if every owner asked this of Commish?
Like I just said - it was a specific scenario. 

I truly do not see the problem with it so long as the instructions are specific (swap player X for player Y).

It's exactly what the league member would have been doing for himself if he weren't on an airplane with no internet access.

the alternative is to risk having a 0 in his lineup and giving his opponent an easy win, which seems shadier. 

Or I guess he could have gotten his priorities right and cancelled his flight. :lol:

Isn't there a commissioner lockout status function though? I often get the notice when Commish logs in as Commish and if this happens (which should be very rare) at the same time a move like this happens you pretty much know it was the Commish and not the owner.
Yes, true.  But you wouldn't know just by reviewing transactions. 

I truly do not see the problem with it so long as the instructions are specific (swap player X for player Y).
The problem is it doesn't sound like the commissioner communicated this to the entire league as soon as it was done. That's not cool. I've been running my home league for 25 years. The small number of times I've had something similar happen I quickly communicated it to the entire league. 

Difference is this owner is jerking off on Rotoworld on his govt work computer (so obviously lack of time isn't the issue) ............but his flip phone that he texted on not have internet access for MFL?? Even so, got to have a lot more than a vague post to call someone out by name for cheating. 

Got to be a lot more transparent than this. Or you'll run into headaches like this.

Not surprised in a world where people support Trump, that people would support a commish making lineup changes midgame.
Unacceptable. Period.
Are we amateurs here? Do we not know how this works and we must set our lineups before kickoff. If we cant, that sucks.

So ADD/DROP (Smith/Allen) as indicated in OP wouldn't show up either? Just wow if true. 

The problem is it doesn't sound like the commissioner communicated this to the entire league as soon as it was done. That's not cool. I've been running my home league for 25 years. The small number of times I've had something similar happen I quickly communicated it to the entire league. 
I get that. 

But I also understand that stuff happens. 

Regardless, my leaguemates don't storm the castle with torches when something happens, they ask the commish on the league page. 

You know, civilized. 

Not surprised in a world where people support Trump, that people would support a commish making lineup changes midgame.
Unacceptable. Period.
Are we amateurs here? Do we not know how this works and we must set our lineups before kickoff. If we cant, that sucks.
Who's we? 

Some people have lives and work weekends. 

Jeez dude - lynch mob mentality much? 

I'd say the rest of the league needs to be the jury here, not a bunch of randoms on a fantasy football forum. 

So ADD/DROP (Smith/Allen) as indicated in OP wouldn't show up either? Just wow if true. 
Right, except if it happened during the game if your league doesn't allow you to drop once a player has played. (And that he seems to have been in the lineup)

MFL has options to delete transaction logs, but if the transaction isn't deleted it should show up.  A lineup change though isn't logged by MFL, as far as I have seen...that's handled separately.  I suspect the pickup of Allen for Smith is logged in the league in question, just not the lineup substitution.

From what's been posted since my last post, it makes sense now.  In my older leagues (the ones that started before everyone had internet on their mobile phones), there were always rules in place for lineups to be changed by phone call or email in case of site outages or connectivity issues.  The requirement was always that the opponent be sent the same email to verify the transaction.  Sounds legit here to me.

I also agree with whoever suggested adding a note to the lineup change.  MFL let's the commish do this, and I would type something like "commish change to reflect emailed lineup" to it.  MFL only emails lineups to the owners of the match in question though, so I don't think those notes would be visible to third-party owners.  Perhaps a message board post declaring the action and reason, but to be honest I may not have thought of doing so under these circumstances, having confirmed that both owners in the match in question were aware of the change.

Put me on Dave's side for now.

You guys sure have a lot of plausible explanations here....but here are some facts that seem to have been lost.

1. Bounty Hunters IS run by Dave. There is no other owner. The whole story he has is just that, a story. He changed the name of the owner only AFTER i confronted him the FIRST time he cheated. By the way the "new" owner has no last name or contact info of any kind. Bounty Hunters run by Dave is listed on the past winners plaque more times than not. Including last year. Imagine that.

2. This is the SECOND time that he used STEALTH to change out a player from his team the bounty hunters after a player put up a dud. 

3. And this is the most damning evidence of all. He replaced the dud with someone that was never even picked up by the bounty hunters in any transaction ever. And the guy who was originally picked up by him and started is now back on waivers!

Now I'm not here to get anyone on my side. Because I know the truth. And by the way I have had multiple people private message me with their Dave is a cheater story. Which includes acts such as what I have reported as well as waiver shenanigans, sketchy trades involving his teams, taking good players out of abandoned teams lineups when he plays them.

My goal here is to just inform the fantasy football public that Dave is a cheater and a thief. And all of those who are in the UFFL who still believe that Dave is on the up and up, well I'm sure you'll be paying much more attention to what Dave is doing in your leagues after this. And I'm sure Dave will be on his best behavior for at least the rest of this year. And for that i say, Your Welcome.

Like I just said - it was a specific scenario. 

It's exactly what the league member would have been doing for himself if he weren't on an airplane with no internet access.

the alternative is to risk having a 0 in his lineup and giving his opponent an easy win, which seems shadier. 

Or I guess he could have gotten his priorities right and cancelled his flight. :lol:
So this is a service you offer to all Leaguemates in leagues you Commish? 

If so, great for you and no issue. If not, tough cookies for the owner. It's part of the game. I live in China and would love a Commish to do this for me but I either have to stay awake and make sure my guys are good to go or go to sleep at  a reasonable time and take the risk (I'll give you a hint...I do the former everytime).

As for the topic at hand aside from the possibility that Dave may be lying about this (no judgment, I don't know) the swapping of players mid game without any type of time stamped email and message board posting before the games kickoff is BS. Even if there is a time stamp proving it was done beforehand and posted to MB before, if it's not in bylaws it's a big no-no regardless of good intentions.

Users who are viewing this thread