What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

39 yo to late for jiu jitsu (1 Viewer)

ragincajun

Footballguy
So is it?  I am 39 years old and have been wanting to start some sort of martial art the last 10 years, takewando, aikido, etc.  I am a good "athlete" in the sense I pick things up quickly however I am severely out of shape.  Thoughts?  Oh my wife is a Physical Therapist and is against it.

I took my first class tonight. 

A buddy of mine has his own Gym but lives a little too far away to make it feasible. He's been training for more than 10 years and after speaking with him about tonight's experience I think I need to try another place.

The place I went to tonight basically says that you get a advancement every 20 classes.  From everything I've heard and read you don't get awarded an advancement just for attending classes, you have to earn it. 

A buddy of mine has his own Gym but lives a little too far away to make it feasible. He's been training for more than 10 years and after speaking with him about tonight's experience I think I need to try another place.

The place I went to tonight basically says that you get a advancement every 20 classes.  From everything I've heard and read you don't get awarded an advancement just for attending classes, you have to earn it. 
Did you like the class?  Could also train there and see how it plays out if you liked it. 

I went to karate/kung-fu/self-defense classes when I was younger, and it was small enough 75% of the time to tailor your training to what you needed.

I've worked with a true Grandmaster for several years now (KaJu Kenbo and dirty fighting) but never actual training. The information/techniques I have learned over this time has been priceless. If I lived to closer to the dojo I would certainly get some training done. Age doesn't have much to do with it. Your health and level of fitness does, however.

I also would like to try bjj, but I don't have the time to be doing a weekly class.  Maybe when my 5yo gets a little older I can start taking him somewhere, and get some exposure that way.  

Age doesn't have much to do with it. Your health and level of fitness does, however.
I know what you're trying to say but I think there's a lot of room for misinterpretation here, re "your level of fitness".   

A lot of people want to try BJJ, try (whatever) but they think they need to get in shape first.    NO.  NO. NO.    Work on getting in shape while you go do that thing.   It will help you get into shape.    

Clearly, if you're 700 pounds and bedridden, maybe parkour isn't a great choice for your first afternoon outdoors in 10 years, but you get the point.  Most peoples "yeah but first I need to..." are things that exist in their head and are not insurmountable at all.   

Last edited by a moderator:
 Bjj seems cool, but I don't know how cool it would be to have a sweaty dude pinning me down, and breathing in my face.  I guess most places are ac, and people are wearing those long sleeve ua type shirts, so maybe I am overthinking it.

Did you like the class?  Could also train there and see how it plays out if you liked it. 

I went to karate/kung-fu/self-defense classes when I was younger, and it was small enough 75% of the time to tailor your training to what you needed.
 It was OK. And the particular place I went to feels a little corporate.  I'm looking for something that's more hardcore. 

There were a couple of ##### bags there talking smack and that should not be tolerated much less encouraged in that environment. 

Another thing was I was not even remotely tired afterwords. Now I'm in pretty good shape one in the past when I've visited my friends J another thing was I was not even remotely tired afterwords. Now I'm in pretty good shape but in the past when I've visited my friends gymgym,  I was completely worn out. I actually went home and worked out for another hour and a half.

Bjj seems cool, but I don't know how cool it would be to have a sweaty dude pinning me down, and breathing in my face.  I guess most places are ac, and people are wearing those long sleeve ua type shirts, so maybe I am overthinking it.
That's what I don't like: Sweaty greasy guys trying to dominate me.
If I could attend the girls class however... sweaty greasy girls... :wub:

It was OK. And the particular place I went to feels a little corporate.  I'm looking for something that's more hardcore. 

There were a couple of ##### bags there talking smack and that should not be tolerated much less encouraged in that environment. 

Another thing was I was not even remotely tired afterwords. Now I'm in pretty good shape one in the past when I've visited my friends J another thing was I was not even remotely tired afterwords. Now I'm in pretty good shape but in the past when I've visited my friends gymgym,  I was completely worn out. I actually went home and worked out for another hour and a half.
Where do you live? There's a lot of us on this board who follow MMA pretty closely - we may be able to recommend a reputable MMA gym nearby. I train at the MMA Lab, and they have 20 something UFC fighters that train there. You don't leave a class there without breathing hard...

Where do you live? There's a lot of us on this board who follow MMA pretty closely - we may be able to recommend a reputable MMA gym nearby. I train at the MMA Lab, and they have 20 something UFC fighters that train there. You don't leave a class there without breathing hard...
Thanks....Silver Spring, MD 20905

You sound drunk. Probably not the best way to train. 

I'm 41 and have been doing the jits for 7-8 years.  Even had aspirations to get in the cage a few years ago, but found that it was keeping me from getting sleep, which meant I couldn't function in my day job.  Lame, I know but it is what it is.

These days, I've taken a lot of time off.  I seem to get hurt way too easily lately.  The last time I went in, it was the MMA class and all we did was throw jabs and counters (slipping, bobbing, finish with some combo).  My lead shoulder took a good couple of weeks to feel better after that.  A month ago, I tore my calf muscle playing soccer.  A while ago I tore my pectoral trying to finish a low single - a move I've done a thousand times, but this time it popped.  I'm starting to think I may be at the age where combat sports might not be a good idea any more.

I would add though - I was a HS and college wrestler so my body has a lot of wear and tear to start with.

I'm 41 and have been doing the jits for 7-8 years.  Even had aspirations to get in the cage a few years ago, but found that it was keeping me from getting sleep, which meant I couldn't function in my day job.  Lame, I know but it is what it is.

These days, I've taken a lot of time off.  I seem to get hurt way too easily lately.  The last time I went in, it was the MMA class and all we did was throw jabs and counters (slipping, bobbing, finish with some combo).  My lead shoulder took a good couple of weeks to feel better after that.  A month ago, I tore my calf muscle playing soccer.  A while ago I tore my pectoral trying to finish a low single - a move I've done a thousand times, but this time it popped.  I'm starting to think I may be at the age where combat sports might not be a good idea any more.

I would add though - I was a HS and college wrestler so my body has a lot of wear and tear to start with.
Don't let the above dissuade anyone considering getting into it.  Everyone's body is different - I just feel that I may be getting...fragile.  I do love jits and highly encourage anyone to try it.  It truly is one of the best sports out there.  Insane combination of speed, strength, stamina, but more importantly, technique and creativity...not to mention the rush you can get facing another man in hand-to-hand combat, which is really what it's all about.

Advancement every 20 classes is kind of lame, IMO.  and of you aren't dripping with sweat when you leave, you haven't been doing any live rolling.  If you aren't rolling, I'm not 100% sure what the point is.

My advice: think about what you want out of it, and find a gym that caters to that.  Examples: MMA centric.  Competition BJJ.  self-defense.  Fitness.  Supplement to another martial art (i.e. I know a guy who teaches tai Kwan do, but has a couple jiu jitsu classes too).

My gym is MMA centric, which means our jiu jitsu emphases top game, wrestling, and escape/sweeps from bottom game.  We would never pull guard...ever.  also, we don't have any gi classes at all.  I like it because going to MMA local fights is fun and even more fun when I know (and can beat up while sparring) the fighters.

moleculo said:
Advancement every 20 classes is kind of lame, IMO.  and of you aren't dripping with sweat when you leave, you haven't been doing any live rolling.  If you aren't rolling, I'm not 100% sure what the point is.

My advice: think about what you want out of it, and find a gym that caters to that.  Examples: MMA centric.  Competition BJJ.  self-defense.  Fitness.  Supplement to another martial art (i.e. I know a guy who teaches tai Kwan do, but has a couple jiu jitsu classes too).

My gym is MMA centric, which means our jiu jitsu emphases top game, wrestling, and escape/sweeps from bottom game.  We would never pull guard...ever.  also, we don't have any gi classes at all.  I like it because going to MMA local fights is fun and even more fun when I know (and can beat up while sparring) the fighters.
Agree all the way around. I'm just gonna keep visiting gyms until I find one i like, learn as much as I can. 

Im looking to focus on BJJ and striking. 

Be humble and learn. 

I found my gym. I knew it was right for me the moment I walked in. Polar opposite of the last place. Smaller, dingyer and a far rougher crowd. I signed up last night. 

Expended more energy within the first five minutes there then I did in an entire hour and a half at the MMA factory I visited the day before. 

I worked with a brown belt all night who showed me the ropes and we worked on one move until I "got it ". 

At the end of class I rolled with a fairy hot young Hispanic chick. THAT was not bad. At all. Then I rolled with the Black belt. 

i did a very steady six months of Krav Maga when i hit 40 .... never too late/never say never - was the oldest chap there for most of it, but hung through every last second with the young'ns 

ETA: just saw Chaka's post ... go get it - L'Chaim!  

Don't let the above dissuade anyone considering getting into it.  Everyone's body is different - I just feel that I may be getting...fragile.  I do love jits and highly encourage anyone to try it.  It truly is one of the best sports out there.  Insane combination of speed, strength, stamina, but more importantly, technique and creativity...not to mention the rush you can get facing another man in hand-to-hand combat, which is really what it's all about.
I've followed this thread from day 1 but never commented until now.  I, too, have a wrestling background and have trained in various karate styles for a total of 10 years.

I started jiu jitsu about 6 months ago and now I have to face the reality that I'm too fragile.  But, the reality is that I'm 59 years old, have had 3 heart attacks, a quad by-pass, back surgery, two knee surgeries, shoulder labrum and rotator surgery, and have had my bicep tendon intentionally detached.

Despite all that, jiu jitsu has been the highlight of my week, and I was extremely competitive.  It was very difficult for opponents to get out of my top control, but I struggled transitioning to submissions.  I would eventually get some, but it wasn't smooth, and I definitely didn't 'flo'.

We have an equal mix of guys and gals but only one of them is over 30.  I'll have to say, I absolutely loved going against the women.  One night only 5 of them showed up, and no men showed up.  When I got home my wife asked me what I did.  Well, I told her, I had to choke those #####es out : - )

I'm going to miss it.

Welp just found this, anyone still out in there?  I'm taking my first class on Tuesday at the young age of 47.  I'm excited and terrified at the same time.  Would be interesting to hear if you are still going at it @STEADYMOBBIN 22

Users who are viewing this thread