What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Capella's 24-hour, VERY bigly OH MY GOD HOW DID WE GET HERE thread (1 Viewer)

I can't believe I'm at this point in my iLife but the most interesting thing about me at the moment is that my wife and I just bought a nice house. Need to furnish it since our current furniture is the stuff I had when I was single. 

So, given that we have kids (Jesus, was it that long ago I was posting about which girl to hook up with?) we figure we need leather(ish) furniture. Currently between "performance leather" and real leather. Got the set picked out and will be custom made. Wife is very excited. Looking for our furniture that will last us the next dozen or so years at the very least. 

Currently, price difference between the two is right about cstu's debt. Is it worth paying the difference? Obviously the real leather feels better. Will the performance leather last the same length of time?

Protest the Constitution? You mean like saying it's "unfair" when people peaceably assemble?
I have two problems with the protests.

1) They aren't all peaceful. Lots of damage done which is complete BS. 

2) What exactly are they protesting? I IMO protests should be left for when an injustice has been done. Of course I'm sure the response might be "Trump being elected is an injustice." It's not. That's the process and it was a fair vote. Protesting at the the outcome of a fair election is pointless. 

P. S. I did not vote for Trump. 

If only our President-elect had been familiar enough with the Constitution to tweet "The non-peaceful protesters are being unfair".
Obama still runs the country.  He did not do very much when African Americans protested police brutality and he is doing nothing now. He'll probably again say his authority is "limited and dubious".

Last edited by a moderator:

2) What exactly are they protesting? I IMO protests should be left for when an injustice has been done. Of course I'm sure the response might be "Trump being elected is an injustice." It's not. That's the process and it was a fair vote. Protesting at the the outcome of a fair election is pointless. 

They are protesting what Trump may do and many do not think Trump won legitably.

They are protesting what Trump may do and many do not think Trump won legitably.
If they don't think he won legitably they are delusional. What specifically is their beef in this regard? What wasn't legit? They whole think comes off as sour grapes. 

I don't question their right to protest but there isn't anything to protest & they aren't all doing it peacefully. 

If they don't think he won legitably they are delusional. What specifically is their beef in this regard? What wasn't legit? They whole think comes off as sour grapes. 

I don't question their right to protest but there isn't anything to protest & they aren't all doing it peacefully. 
:shrug:   Someone is organizing these things and they are probably politically motivated.

The right spent 6 years criticizing Obama in every possible way, only giving up to swing their angst towards Hilary.

The left will be no different.  The criticism of Trump will continue for the next 4 years and it won't stop.

The right spent 6 years criticizing Obama in every possible way, only giving up to swing their angst towards Hilary.

The left will be no different.  The criticism of Trump will continue for the next 4 years and it won't stop.
Two points of clarification. 

1) Criticizing AFTER Obama did something or what he might do? This is the case apparently about what Trump might do. Pointless IMO. 

2) Peaceful protests or simply throwing a tantrum & destroying things?

I don't care which side is doing it & maintain these protests are pointless & even if you wanted to say otherwise haven't been peaceful. 

Correct, they are not all peaceful, but the vast majority are.  As far as I can tell, it is only Portland that is rioting, but if you only read here you would think the whole country is rioting.

As for your second point, this country is great because we are allowed to protest.  A lot of people, myself included think the EC is a stupid system and should be scrapped.  Seems like as good a reason as any to protest, as long as it's kept peaceful.  Things don't change unless enough people voice their displeasure.

They're not protesting the electoral college - that wasn't some "new rule" sprung on everyone election night - they're "protesting" their candidate didn't win. As someone else said, it's not a protest it's a tantrum.
I don't think they are protesting if Trump wins the popular vote...

I don't think they are protesting if Trump wins the popular vote...
I respectfully disagree.  I think NB is right, they're not protesting the process, they're protesting the outcome. 

A lot can happen in the next two years, but if the Dems hope to recapture the blue-collar vote in the mid-terms, they need to let Trump implode on his own rather than let these poor losers further tarnish their image.

There's a difference between criticism and rioting. Of course

Correct, they are not all peaceful, but the vast majority are.  As far as I can tell, it is only Portland that is rioting, but if you only read here you would think the whole country is rioting.

As for your second point, this country is great because we are allowed to protest.  A lot of people, myself included think the EC is a stupid system and should be scrapped.  Seems like as good a reason as any to protest, as long as it's kept peaceful.  Things don't change unless enough people voice their displeasure.
Oakland has been rioting every night since the election.

LA was as well, but that might be over.

A lot of protests are dumb.  Why do you care?  I could see if you live in Portland and your property is damaged.  But if you live in Texas or Wisconsin or something does it change your life at all?  The people who cause damage will face legal consequences if they are caught.  People are free to protest in this country whether it's dumb or not, that's one of the great things about this country IMO.

A lot of protests are dumb. 
That's my point. These fall into the dumb category. Thanks.

Why do you care?
One can have an opinion and not really be too invested (i.e. care). 

People are free to protest in this country whether it's dumb or not, that's one of the great things about this country IMO.
Absolutely. I'm not saying these people don't have the right to protest something that's pointless. I'm just trying to understand exactly what it is there even protesting about? Here's the reason's I heard:

The election wasn't fair? Yes it was. That's the process.

We don't like Trump? OK. Noted.

We want to keep him honest on the promises he made. How about we actually let him take office, go back on something and THEN protest.

Regardless, they want to peacefully organize and protest then have at it. I don't care I'm simply commenting that it doesn't make sense IMO.

That's my point. These fall into the dumb category. Thanks.

One can have an opinion and not really be too invested (i.e. care). 

Absolutely. I'm not saying these people don't have the right to protest something that's pointless. I'm just trying to understand exactly what it is there even protesting about? Here's the reason's I heard:

The election wasn't fair? Yes it was. That's the process.

We don't like Trump? OK. Noted.

We want to keep him honest on the promises he made. How about we actually let him take office, go back on something and THEN protest.

Regardless, they want to peacefully organize and protest then have at it. I don't care I'm simply commenting that it doesn't make sense IMO.
I think the reason is obvious they're mad that Trump won. They're using the fact that Clinton won the popular vote to justify their protests I'd guess (although I haven't paid attention honestly the post today is the first I've heard that there are major protests going on since I don't watch much tv or read much news) there were protesters here in Denver but not a huge amount and not any damage that I've seen and I live about a half mile away from the capital where the protest is/was going on.  So it's a dumb protest IMO (assuming I'm right about the reasoning behind it) but who cares.  Doesn't affect me.  I don't like Trump but I'm hoping the country does well when he's in office and I'm hoping he stops the racist rhetoric because I think that's very damaging.

Saw a post from one of my cousins about a Women's March on Washington.  

Her comment was, "Let's do this. Because... half of the population shouldn't have only 20% representation in government. F* this f*ing b*llsh*t."

Now this cousin is the most intelligent and highly educated person in my family  She grew up in Kansas, but moved to NYC where she got her masters from the Albert Einstein College of Medicine and is an editor for medical publications.  She literally has a genius level IQ.

However, she is also a mother of 3 now and has taken a few years off of work and is only working part time right now.  I want to post to her that her story is one of the main reasons women are underrepresented at the highest levels of every industry.  They simply make other life choices.  It is really hard to step out of your chosen field for years at a time and still compete for the top level positions.  In my personal experiences, anytime a female doesn't move up the ladder it is because they don't want to, not because they are being held down.  You see enough stories like that and eventually they add up to the point where there is underrepresentation.  I'm sure there are instances of sexism keeping women down, but I have a hard time believing it is the primary reason.  

But hey, at least this protest is about something.

Saw a post from one of my cousins about a Women's March on Washington.  

Her comment was, "Let's do this. Because... half of the population shouldn't have only 20% representation in government. F* this f*ing b*llsh*t."

Now this cousin is the most intelligent and highly educated person in my family  She grew up in Kansas, but moved to NYC where she got her masters from the Albert Einstein College of Medicine and is an editor for medical publications.  She literally has a genius level IQ.

However, she is also a mother of 3 now and has taken a few years off of work and is only working part time right now.  I want to post to her that her story is one of the main reasons women are underrepresented at the highest levels of every industry.  They simply make other life choices.  It is really hard to step out of your chosen field for years at a time and still compete for the top level positions.  In my personal experiences, anytime a female doesn't move up the ladder it is because they don't want to, not because they are being held down.  You see enough stories like that and eventually they add up to the point where there is underrepresentation.  I'm sure there are instances of sexism keeping women down, but I have a hard time believing it is the primary reason.  

But hey, at least this protest is about something.
To argue that sexism hasn't had a huge impact on women in the workforce is being intellectually dishonest.  Human history has shown us time and time again that the people in power will align themselves with others who look and think like them.  In America, being white and being a man has historically been a huge advantage.  It's less so in our modern times but it most certainly still exists.

In fact, there are millions and millions of conservative christians who believe that men are singled out in the bible to be the leader and head of their households.  These feelings likely extend for these folks out into the working world as well.   

can't believe this.....I am watching CNN and Trump is sitting at a dais (sorry mr. bannon) will several of bill clinton's accusers and he is naming them to cabinet positions.

(you actually thought for a moment this could be true........)

I can't believe I'm at this point in my iLife but the most interesting thing about me at the moment is that my wife and I just bought a nice house. Need to furnish it since our current furniture is the stuff I had when I was single. 

So, given that we have kids (Jesus, was it that long ago I was posting about which girl to hook up with?) we figure we need leather(ish) furniture. Currently between "performance leather" and real leather. Got the set picked out and will be custom made. Wife is very excited. Looking for our furniture that will last us the next dozen or so years at the very least. 

Currently, price difference between the two is right about cstu's debt. Is it worth paying the difference? Obviously the real leather feels better. Will the performance leather last the same length of time?
I am not sure what performance leather is, but here's a good primer on leather in general

http://www.saddlebackleather.com/craftsmanship/chpt4-leather-101-lesson-in-leather

C'mon Cap'n....tell us that you weren't in the room!

Did you have ANY idea just how long that list of "riggers" was to be?
Pretty sure my post was in response to Trump himself saying he might not concede if he lost because he claimed everything was rigged. But go ahead and enjoy your gotcha moment.

Trump voters don't have 401k's.
:lmao:

Stumbled into the Blake Bortles thread, started by none other than CSTU. Scrolled down his activity board... Man, I can only imagine the trail of gold this guy left behind.

The guy who was running a DVD scam and doesn't have $2k to pay debts, making fun of others for not having 401ks :cry:

TBH, I think Chad has left us with more than $2k worth of entertainment. 

Users who are viewing this thread