What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Barack Obama's Long-Term Effect on Black Americans (1 Viewer)

cstu

Footballguy
Something I've been thinking about for awhile but now after Obama's final campaign speech as President I thought it would be a good time to discuss it.  Conservatives love to claim that Obama hasn't done enough for black people, their incomes have not gone up fast enough, etc., but that's short-sighted.  His influence is not merely limited to a tiny 8 year period in history but the next 10, 20, 50 years in which children have grown up thinking it was normal to have a black President.  I think the impact has barely been felt.

There are black teenagers who do not remember a time when there was not a black President.  Here's what one said about his influence:

Anderson: Looking ahead, you will experience many presidents as you grow into adulthood. How has the current president influenced your perspective on future presidents, or thoughts about your own future?

Kedia: Before Obama, it’s like there was some sort of barrier, and everybody was stuck under it. Only certain people could get through that barrier. When Obama became president, suddenly people thought, “Oh, the barrier is gone. Now we can climb.” That’s what his presidency meant to me. It’s like I have a chance now.

This is his legacy.

He has allowed another black person to possibly become president by having a solid two terms. He could have been catastrophic in that regard.
My biggest hope for his Presidency is that he wouldn't screw it for future black people.  He brought respect back to the Presidency, managed the economy successfully, pushed forward social and environmental issues, and avoided personal scandals.

He's a big part of the reason I think Cory Booker will win in 2024.

Obama has done very little for black American's socioeconomic plight and I would think most feel betrayed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Something I've been thinking about for awhile but now after Obama's final campaign speech as President I thought it would be a good time to discuss it.  Conservatives love to claim that Obama hasn't done enough for black people, their incomes have not gone up fast enough, etc., but that's short-sighted.  His influence is not merely limited to a tiny 8 year period in history but the next 10, 20, 50 years in which children have grown up thinking it was normal to have a black President.  I think the impact has barely been felt.

There are black teenagers who do not remember a time when there was not a black President.  Here's what one said about his influence:

This is his legacy.
Just stop already 

My biggest hope for his Presidency is that he wouldn't screw it for future black people.  He brought respect back to the Presidency, managed the economy successfully, pushed forward social and environmental issues, and avoided personal scandals.

He's a big part of the reason I think Cory Booker will win in 2024.
If that was your biggest hope for his presidency ,  then your goals were met

Conservatives love to claim that Obama hasn't done enough for black people

I won't argue that you don't see that claim from Conservatives, but it's usually Leftist black people from whom you most often see that criticism.  

Examples:

Exhibit A:  Jesse Jackson

Exhibit B:  NAACP President, Ben Jealous

Exhibit C:  Michael Eric Dyson

Exhibit D:  Tavis Smiley

Exhibit E:  Louis Farrakhan  

Exhibit F:  Cornel West

Exhibit G:  P-Diddy

And so on.  And so on.

He has allowed another black person to possibly become president by having a solid two terms. He could have been catastrophic in that regard.
he didnt.   a black kid can expect that people will vote for him if hes exceptional.

obama has relied on his community organizer  background.   obama is a natural agitator the country will reap the whirl wind.

What a bunch of crap. His approval ranking among African Americans is always about 88%-90%

http://www.gallup.com/poll/121199/obama-weekly-job-approval-demographic-groups.aspx
Yeah, because I just made up all those linked articles with the sole purpose of pulling the wool over your eyes.

Or perhaps, Squish, you could actually consider the following:

1)  A black person could think that Obama didn't do enough for blacks, but still approve of Obama overall; and

2)  Obama received 95% of the black vote, but you note an 88-90% approval rating for Obama among black Americans.  That leaves a 5-7% difference between blacks voting for Obama and approving of his performance.  That likely means you have some black folk with buyer's remorse.  People with buyer's remorse tend to be vocal about it because they feel hoodwinked or let down.

And here's another:

MAXINE WATERS SAYS BARACK OBAMA IS NEGLECTING BLACK COMMUNITIES

I got to get to sleep, Squish, but we can continue this list tomorrow if you'd like.

When I was growing up, you could walk into anyone of my black friends homes/apartments and see a picture of Malcolm X, MLK, and/or 2 Pac. Now there's always a portrait of Obama somewhere. Obama may not have been perfect for blacks or whites, but I think most of us are proud of his service as POTUS.

Yeah, because I just made up all those linked articles with the sole purpose of pulling the wool over your eyes.

1)  A black person could think that Obama didn't do enough for blacks, but still approve of Obama overall; and

2)  Obama received 95% of the black vote, but you note an 88-90% approval rating for Obama among black Americans.  That leaves a 5-7% difference between blacks voting for Obama and approving of his performance.  That likely means you have some black folk with buyer's remorse.  People with buyer's remorse tend to be vocal about it because they feel hoodwinked or let down.

And here's another:

I got to get to sleep, Squish, but we can continue this list tomorrow if you'd like.
Those are different things altogether.

You also have a ton of voters who may have no approval/disapproval of who they are voting for. And then after they actually perform the job, they get that consideration. Sometimes it could end up indifferent as well.

Just look at this vote cycle... largely people voting FOR Trump dont like the guy at all (same was with Cruz) but they just hated the other side more. Most of America disapproves of both candidates and yet one will win.

And here's another:

Sorry, you still got about 90% approval rating.  And you can't get around that.  He could run for a 3rd term he would probably get 95% again.

Minor detail to leave out when he is talking in general about winning a third term.   He needs to stick to quoting tweets.  
Again, he is saying that 1)  He would get 95% of the black votes if he could run again... even if 2) his approval is 85-90% among blacks after 8 years in office.

Again, he is saying that 1)  He would get 95% of the black votes if he could run again... even if 2) his approval is 85-90% among blacks after 8 years in office.
I am very well aware of what he was attempting to say, but that was not what he said and the context of his post says otherwise.  You have to go back many posts to see what he was referring to.  

Users who are viewing this thread