What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Bad Officiating - Discuss (1 Viewer)

Patriots get all the calls
... and that is why they win so many games.

well that and their footballs being 0.5 lbs under inflated ... and the video taping from the sideline when everyone else has to do it from the booth.

... but I digest. Back to topic.

Dinsy Ejotuz said:
Not only that, it's orchestrated.  The two players he balances off of are holding in a perfect position for him to do it.
I agree 100% that this should have drawn a flag. That said, if you look at this link..

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000998718/article/bobby-wagners-controversial-fg-block-keys-win

...you'll clearly see at the 0:43 mark Wagner is making a deliberate effort to keep his hands off both linemen. Both hands are up and off both players when he initially leaves the ground. However, he fails when both his hands "touch" the two linemen while he's in the air. I could understand why an official made the error having seen the initial attempt to keep his hands off, but didn't see them drop. Does he use this to propel himself up and over? I think that's debatable. 

Given that we get to watch replays over and over and officials don't, I'm not so sure it's fair to judge the officials harshly in this instance. 

I agree 100% that this should have drawn a flag. That said, if you look at this link..

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000998718/article/bobby-wagners-controversial-fg-block-keys-win

...you'll clearly see at the 0:43 mark Wagner is making a deliberate effort to keep his hands off both linemen. Both hands are up and off both players when he initially leaves the ground. However, he fails when both his hands "touch" the two linemen while he's in the air. I could understand why an official made the error having seen the initial attempt to keep his hands off, but didn't see them drop. Does he use this to propel himself up and over? I think that's debatable. 

Given that we get to watch replays over and over and officials don't, I'm not so sure it's fair to judge the officials harshly in this instance. 
That is not debatable.  He completely used the other players as leverage to get up and over the center.  In addition those players were keeping the O-Line down so this could have a clear path.  This was completely on purpose and should have been easily called as a penalty.  No excuse on this one. 

I may be biased, but the PI call on Rhodes last night was questionable at best.  I will admit that Rhodes did lock arms, but the ball was out of bounds and the official that was on top of the call did not make the call while an official in the endzone 20 yds away made the call.  

The Eagles recovered a fumble that refs initially said was not a fumble. Upon further review they said it was a fumble but that the Eagles didn't clearly recover it despite only Eagles in the pile and an Eagle carrying the ball off the field.

Later in the game the Eagles scored a game tying 80 yard TD that was called back for Offensive Pass interference where the TE had incidental contact within 5 yards.

The Eagles recovered a fumble that refs initially said was not a fumble. Upon further review they said it was a fumble but that the Eagles didn't clearly recover it despite only Eagles in the pile and an Eagle carrying the ball off the field.

Later in the game the Eagles scored a game tying 80 yard TD that was called back for Offensive Pass interference where the TE had incidental contact within 5 yards.
Eagles got hosed and Santa stuffed coal in their stocking.

Al Riveron should be fired. It’s blatantly obvious that they are refusing to enforce the new pass interference review. Blatantly obvious pass interference is not being called on review and it’s not even a question. It’s a farce.

Al Riveron should be fired. It’s blatantly obvious that they are refusing to enforce the new pass interference review. Blatantly obvious pass interference is not being called on review and it’s not even a question. It’s a farce.
No one really wanted the rule changed in the first place. Initially the coaches voted it down by a huge majority. They only relented when they tried to come up with a way to prevent the Saints / Rams fiasco from happening again. So they essentially are trying to just avoid reversing a call on the field at all cost unless it is BLATANTLY wrong. As in someone got tackled, mauled, hauled to the ground, or hit in the head and knocked unconscious. That's how they are going to call it. Grabs, holding an arm, riding a player out of the play, getting there a little early . . . none of those are going to be considered. Eventually coaches will stop challenging because they know they won't get the call. People may not like it, but that's reality and where we are at.

The new pass interference challenge is failing and it’s because officials are refusing to admit a mistake.

Been saying this since before this year. The NFL refs are a huge problem because they think changing a call admits they were wrong and the commish is too dumb to tell them it's ok. In college, last week, on the head to head collision, they picked up the flags and said, both guys lowered their heads.. If that play happens in the NFL, its' 15 yards 7 a 1st Down!!!!!!!.

No one really wanted the rule changed in the first place. Initially the coaches voted it down by a huge majority. They only relented when they tried to come up with a way to prevent the Saints / Rams fiasco from happening again. So they essentially are trying to just avoid reversing a call on the field at all cost unless it is BLATANTLY wrong. As in someone got tackled, mauled, hauled to the ground, or hit in the head and knocked unconscious. That's how they are going to call it. Grabs, holding an arm, riding a player out of the play, getting there a little early . . . none of those are going to be considered. Eventually coaches will stop challenging because they know they won't get the call. People may not like it, but that's reality and where we are at.
That's the way it should be imo 

The league is also too dumb to appoint a guy in league offices who could look at the Saints-Rams call and overrule it. It's really that simple where 1 person over rules stuff instead of the hacks on the field who have Zero consistency.

The league is also too dumb to appoint a guy in league offices who could look at the Saints-Rams call and overrule it. It's really that simple where 1 person over rules stuff instead of the hacks on the field who have Zero consistency.
The “guy in league offices” is head of officiating Al Riveron. He’s part of the referee’s union. 

If you mean add an official to the booth that is allowed to make calls in real time as an added eye in the sky I would agree.  There is no reason they should not have someone up there looking at the plays in real time and making obvious missed calls directly involved in the play.  This would be easy to do and would limit the need for replay review. 

If you mean add an official to the booth that is allowed to make calls in real time as an added eye in the sky I would agree.  There is no reason they should not have someone up there looking at the plays in real time and making obvious missed calls directly involved in the play.  This would be easy to do and would limit the need for replay review. 
The modern game would be better officiated in the way you describe -- with in-booth officials as integral to crew as the umpire and back judge.

Yes. they need to just admit their refs can't do the job the way the game is played now. The refs are simply refusing to change calls because they feel the new rule is a slap in their face and that its in there because of their incompetence. Thus they are saying ok, we will just refuse to change a call regardless of how obvious it is.

I just saw the play that everybody's upset about, and yes that was appalling.  I can handle a missed call on the field, but the replay official flat-out refused to do his job to the point of insubordination.  I mean, this was literally the case of an official deciding on his own that he's simply not going to follow the rules as written.  This is a new low in NFL officiating because it's not just a mistake or even incompetence.  It's malfeasance. 

On a closely related note, I saw something like the following on social media a little while back:

April: Miss football.

May: Miss football.

June: Miss football.

July: Miss football.

August: Look forward to football.

September - early February: Complain about football, with a particular emphasis on officiating.

March: Miss football.

Drew Magary pointed out that the networks don't show the replay deliberations, and sometimes even the result, anymore. Play gets challenged, cut to commercial, and when they're back the announcers just quickly state the result and move on.

While it does make the game seem to move faster (and hopefully quiet the complaints like 'get rid of replay because it takes 60 seconds too long and I get bored'), it also serves to sweep controversy under the rug.
If I were to revamp the replay system I would do the following:

• 30 seconds to make a decision - if it's not an obvious bad call that can be overturned in 30 seconds stay with the call on the field
  • Replays can only be slowed down to half speed (at the slowest).  If you go frame by frame you can make any play look like a catch or not. 

If you institute those two things it will speed things up and overturn obvious missed calls (which to me is the point of instant replay).  Keep the game flowing and get back to playing. 

Drew Magary pointed out that the networks don't show the replay deliberations, and sometimes even the result, anymore. Play gets challenged, cut to commercial, and when they're back the announcers just quickly state the result and move on.

While it does make the game seem to move faster (and hopefully quiet the complaints like 'get rid of replay because it takes 60 seconds too long and I get bored'), it also serves to sweep controversy under the rug.
I've noticed this too.  

If I were to revamp the replay system I would do the following:

• 30 seconds to make a decision - if it's not an obvious bad call that can be overturned in 30 seconds stay with the call on the field
  • Replays can only be slowed down to half speed (at the slowest).  If you go frame by frame you can make any play look like a catch or not. 

If you institute those two things it will speed things up and overturn obvious missed calls (which to me is the point of instant replay).  Keep the game flowing and get back to playing. 
Agreed. Also, just go to commercial for the 30 seconds instead of showing the replay over and over and having a former official give his opinion and then still have it be the opposite opinion of the call. I thought there used to be a time limit for the review and then what the ref is watching just goes black. It seems like they can take as long as they want now.

It seems like every time they make a big change, it takes a while to settle in and get it right/consistent. The PI replay is taking a lot longer then past changes, but it's also more complicated.

I expect they'll find more consistency in it by next year.

I do like them using the down time to do a commercial. It's helped keep the feel of the game moving. I've noticed fewer breaks between possessions likely as a partial result of that

It seems like every time they make a big change, it takes a while to settle in and get it right/consistent. The PI replay is taking a lot longer then past changes, but it's also more complicated.

I expect they'll find more consistency in it by next year.

I do like them using the down time to do a commercial. It's helped keep the feel of the game moving. I've noticed fewer breaks between possessions likely as a partial result of that
They have been extremely consistent......98% of replay reviews of PI remain as called on the field.....whether or not there was PI on the play or not.

Totally biased take, but last night's Raiders Chargers game had a plethora of extraordinary ticky-tack fouls.

12 were called on the Raiders for 97 yards -- two for lining up in the neutral zone which I hardly see called, and certainly wasn't being called evenly if that's the standard they were applying to this game. A few phantom calls as well on both sides (ie. interference when contact was mutual and within 5 yards of LOS). 

Sick of seeing the game devolve into a sea of yellow. Especially on D -- you literally can't play defense in this league anymore.

Totally biased take, but last night's Raiders Chargers game had a plethora of extraordinary ticky-tack fouls.

12 were called on the Raiders for 97 yards -- two for lining up in the neutral zone which I hardly see called, and certainly wasn't being called evenly if that's the standard they were applying to this game. A few phantom calls as well on both sides (ie. interference when contact was mutual and within 5 yards of LOS). 

Sick of seeing the game devolve into a sea of yellow. Especially on D -- you literally can't play defense in this league anymore.
The worst part about the bad calls last night is that they won't even be in the top ten of bad calls for th week 10 games.   One bad call that annoyed was when the Charger TE plowed into the safety and the safety was flagged for PI.   Just what could the ref have possibly seen.   

Someone said the refs were sick of being complained to by the coaches after every single play that they should have called a hold. Every game, every play, Gruden or Harbaugh would just scream in your ear "my guy got held!" 

So they started calling every single one both ways to shut them up. "You really want me to call every hold I see? Fine!"
Then they shouldn't be refs. Half the job description is being able to take the BS of the NFL head coaches. If they have thin skin, you can't be a ref.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fair, but, they're also adhering to the letter of the rulebook. They're not making up fake calls. They're telling the coaches that if they want to harp on the ticky-tack fouls, they better coach their own players to avoid making them, too.
Out of spite. 

Hopefully the new league only employs 2 refs.  One on each side of the ball.  If it isn't blatantly obvious it shouldn't be a foul.   Have a third ref just on the side line to relay calls that are coaches challenges to the other refs.  Sideline ref will be the only one with a ear device in.  The replay booth will be called from a casual fan, cause let's face facts their not gonna be any worse than what there is now.  Would be alot less refs b.s. to deal with.

Users who are viewing this thread