What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

DNC - where do you go from here? (1 Viewer)

Sinn Fein

Footballguy
Feels like we have room for one more political thread...

On a more serious note - the Democratic party is certainly in a down cycle.  This election has been a pretty stinging rebuke to the DNC.  So, where do they go from here?

My first thought is they need a leader.  Donna Brazile should step aside - too much baggage from the WikiLeaks, and you can't oversee the disaster of this election and expect to guide the party forward.  Obama makes the most sense in the short-term to play a role, but I think the DNC needs to find someone who can bring the enthusiasm back to the party from the grassroots.  Maybe its an Elizabeth Warren who picks up the reins.

I think the democratic leadership needs to look at themselves in the mirror, and understand they are as much of the problem as the solution.  And anyone who does not see that, should step down.  I'd like to see Tulsi Gabbard brought back into a leadership position.  And, I think the new DNC should sit down with Bernie and his team, and really dig into the reasons why he generated such grassroots enthusiasm - I think its part message, and part messenger.  DNC has to understand both.

Parties dont matter without platforms and National Committees matter even less. Dems have had no idea who they are since Reagan. All Clinton did was give away what keys to the economy the Dem majority wouldnt allow Reagan & Bush to in order to look more sensible and Obama did butt-nuttin. Been a watcher since i got an inside look at the Carter Admin and aint seen an idea since Jimmah cancelled the Persian mullahs stipends. Get an actual progressive identity, THEN worry bout strategy, Jackass Party.

Bring back Howard Dean. Whoever they pick has to be the bold face of the opposition for the next two years. Can't be any tired old Clinton partisan like Donna Brazile.

They need to literally blow up the DNC and anyone connected to HRC.  They should also get rid of Super-Delegates.  In my world, anyone that was a Super Delegate this election can not be in charge of the DNC.  The people hate the Super Delegates with a passion.  It was being used to suppress the people.

- Hold fair primaries, by having 10+ debates and helping all candidates succeed

- Reconnect with the people instead of making this all about big donors

- When a candidate starts getting crowds of 20,000+ at stops...it's time to listen to what they are saying.  Adopt the strongest of these issues into your platform (don't just give the ideas lip service)

A couple of things that I think...

#1) Put the primaries in order of election percentage based on Democrat results in the general....no more super Tuesdays with Georgia, Alabama, South Carolina, etc calling the shots early in the race, Force the candidates to run retail in California, Washington, Colorado, New York, etc and start electing a better candidate. It's stupid to rely on Iowa, NH and the South.

#2) It's time to start demanding better results from a tax dollar - the party needs to become the better management of Government party - too much is allowed to be spent without results especially in the inner city,in schools and on the military. Waste and mismanagement need to be tackled hard and show the voter that we can get results - make sure the trains run on time, build project under budget and on time. Tackle issues with smart technology solutions. As a Democrat I'll admit that the patronage system is our biggest strength and it's biggest weakness. We need to hold inner city bosses to a higher performance standard in order to gain support in the suburban and rural parts of the country.  This is going to be real real hard - and a touchy subject. But we have a set of leaders unchecked - and they are super delegates which wield a lot of power. The Cory Booker story is a good one here - so is Gov Hickenlooper in Colorado and Gavin Newsome of California. They have gone through tough budget battles and come out the other side - it needs to happen at the federal level. So many cities in this country on the "Best to Live" are well run Democratic cities - we need to replicate that success everywhere.

#3) Leave guns the #### alone. But start using the current laws and prosecuting the hell out of it - I believe we have enough on the books to do what we need to do. Let the sleeping dog lie. When a movie theater gets shot up it's tough luck - just point out that this is what we elected and hold sacred - maybe one day people will say it's enough. No need to turn this into the Old West - but we also don't need to fight the 2nd Amendment.

#4) Start standing for the good things we stand for in all parts of the country - even in the South. It's sad to see so many places go uncontested in the South. Start with smart young progressive people and take the beating - but get the word out there. Show what is working in other parts of the country under solid Democratic leadership and then make the case instead of allowing the Government haters to spread their propaganda unchecked in the rural parts of the country, Where the hell was a program to bring High Speed internet to the rural areas - tie it to the FDR legacy of TVA, RFA and such - show these parts they will not be left behind. It's amazing with last nights results - the very leaders in these rural parts of the country are Republican Government haters and they keep electing them because they are mad that Government is doing nothing for them. Well no wonder it isn't working you keep electing people that want to dismantle the government. Ask them why they keep doing it - hello Kansas? It's self mutilation.

There is no doubt there are problems and improvements can and should be made.  However, I don't think they need to do anything fundamentally differently.

They have a winning demographic strategy.  It's possible (I think probable) that Trump and the Republicans will not lead the country into more prosperous times.  It's quite possible they can make gains in 2018 and a better candidate could win the presidency in 2020.

They have some flaws but aren't fundamentally broken .  they just picked the one candidate that was bad enough to lose, and they did so without the full support of the electorate

There is no doubt there are problems and improvements can and should be made.  However, I don't think they need to do anything fundamentally differently.

They have a winning demographic strategy.  It's possible (I think probable) that Trump and the Republicans will not lead the country into more prosperous times.  It's quite possible they can make gains in 2018 and a better candidate could win the presidency in 2020.
They're not making gains in the Senate in 2018.  Dems always do worse in midterms and the seats up for reelection are just brutal.  Republicans will increase their majority.

The presidency is a red herring.  If Trump governs as we suspect he'll govern, we'll likely be able to get a viable candidate. 

In truth, the DNC is a red herring.  Progressives need to resurrect causes.  At the very least:

We need a new ACORN to fight the systematic suppression of minority votes (which will only get worse as there's no opportunity to undo the Court's evisceration of the Voting Rights Act).

We need a serious new labor movement that organizes workers instead of lobbying.  Do your job.  Get more workers protected by collective bargaining.  

They're not making gains in the Senate in 2018.  Dems always do worse in midterms and the seats up for reelection are just brutal.  Republicans will increase their majority.
Doesn't the party out of power often do well in midterms?  Dems did well in 2006.  People like to vote for change.  There are a lot of factors that can and will influence this, of course. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Feels like we have room for one more political thread...

On a more serious note - the Democratic party is certainly in a down cycle.  This election has been a pretty stinging rebuke to the DNC.  So, where do they go from here?

My first thought is they need a leader.  Donna Brazile should step aside - too much baggage from the WikiLeaks, and you can't oversee the disaster of this election and expect to guide the party forward.  Obama makes the most sense in the short-term to play a role, but I think the DNC needs to find someone who can bring the enthusiasm back to the party from the grassroots.  Maybe its an Elizabeth Warren who picks up the reins.

I think the democratic leadership needs to look at themselves in the mirror, and understand they are as much of the problem as the solution.  And anyone who does not see that, should step down.  I'd like to see Tulsi Gabbard brought back into a leadership position.  And, I think the new DNC should sit down with Bernie and his team, and really dig into the reasons why he generated such grassroots enthusiasm - I think its part message, and part messenger.  DNC has to understand both.
Bernie?

They have some flaws but aren't fundamentally broken .  they just picked the one candidate that was bad enough to lose, and they did so without the full support of the electorate
It's amazing that even after yesterday people can think this. 

Doesn't the party out of power often do well in midterms?  Dems did well in 2006.  People like to vote for change.  There are a lot of factors that can and will influence this, of course. 
There are only 8 Republican Senate seats on the ballot in 2018.  Dems ain't gonna win UT, TX, MS, WY, NE, or TN. So that leaves a grand total of two possible pickups (NV and AZ), and I'd say those aren't very likely either.  Meanwhile there are a ton of Dem seats in red states that could easily flip (WV, SD, MT, MO, IN, FL).

I don't understand why you're having difficulty understanding this viewpoint.  It was a close election.
Bc we just elected a lunatic whose staff wouldn't allow him to use Twitter as our President. This maniac was elected over status quo, can you remove yourself from the tunnel for a second? 

I don't understand why you're having difficulty understanding this viewpoint.  It was a close election.
Yes and no.  It was a very close election, and Hillary did get more votes.  But she was running against perhaps the worst candidate ever.  So beating Trump was a very low bar to start with - and then you combine with the results of down ticket races, and I think the DNC needs a lot of introspection.  The leadership have become too comfortable - and seem to have forgotten what the people want.

Yes and no.  It was a very close election, and Hillary did get more votes.  But she was running against perhaps the worst candidate ever.  So beating Trump was a very low bar to start with - and then you combine with the results of down ticket races, and I think the DNC needs a lot of introspection.  The leadership have become too comfortable - and seem to have forgotten what the people want.
:goodposting:

They didn't learn from their Obama victory.  Change was the key.  Hillary was the establishment.
thats why I think they need to clean house of the senior leadership - Brazile certainly should step down, DWS should not think about raising her hand again.

Bc we just elected a lunatic whose staff wouldn't allow him to use Twitter as our President. This maniac was elected over status quo, can you remove yourself from the tunnel for a second? 
There were many factors contributing to the election of Trump that didn't involve the DNC.  

That isn't the point.  The point is that they didn't even pretend to embrace it.  They nominated the most non-change candidate possible.
To run a platform on change after that had been the previous platform isn't a winning strategy IMO. They'd basically be saying "we did nothing for 8 years."

They didn't learn from their Obama victory.  Change was the key.  Hillary was the establishment.
This I agree with - the fact that not one Wall Street exec(especially in light of the Wells Fargo story) did not do prison time after we bailed out the criminal banks to begin with is a large log on the dumpster fire that is burning today. Obama really blew it there. It just became more of the same.

This just feels very strange. Democrats have been feeling like they have been very successful with important social and economic policies changes effected.

And yet they stand here with record - seriously, record setting - losses across the state and federal level.

This just feels very strange. Democrats have been feeling like they have been very successful with important social and economic policies changes effected.

And yet they stand here with record - seriously, record setting - losses across the state and federal level.
House, senate, and prez - pretty amazing, they got pummeled and somehow some people just don't see it.

FTR, Independent here, but I'm unhappy if either side has too much control.

To run a platform on change after that had been the previous platform isn't a winning strategy IMO. They'd basically be saying "we did nothing for 8 years."
Not really.  Clinton should have picked a pet issue - and said we are going to build on Obama's legacy, and make "it" (whatever it was) better.  Make affordable healthcare the centerpiece - and you say "I understand the pain and frustration of rising premiums, we are going to tackle that and make quality healthcare affordable for everyone."

Embrace the progress Obama made, but then make it your own mission to improve upon it.

Ultimately though, I do think Hillary had her priorities confused - I do think she looked at Wall Street, and Big Pharma, and the Insurance industries as important constituents - when she should have looked at those industries through the eyes of middle class America.  Yes, you need money to play in politics, but you cant ever win without the support of the public, and right now, in this election, the public do not believe those industries are working to improve their lives.

Start with not belittling the opposition as stupid, racist & bigoted at every chance just because of policy disagreements..  It's not true & it pisses people off.
This...and the really need to move more toward the middle to succeed in the future as the party is a mess right now. People have shown they are sick of business as usual politics. Dems need to shift more toward the center and attract the people who are not hard right.

Democrats have little to no power in the next two years...and after the 2018 election (it's horrible for the Democrats) they'll have even less.  To that, I'd tell them to chill out, put up a token defense....not tie yourself to any of Trump's iniatives (unless it looks like a slam dunk) and go about finding a new leader of your Machine. Obama's gone, The Clinton's are retired, Biden's old and never really was a Machine guy.

If thinks break bad for the country, you'll be the benefit of a bloodbath in 2020 and the ability to redistrict. If Trump is a magic maker....a number of his iniatives are tied into the idea of Big Government.......so you're not exactly losing anything but Face there.  

- Seems important.
Obama didn't deliver on change.  

I think REPUBLICANS are misreading this election a little bit.  Sure, it's a bit disheartening that defecting Democrats (or Obama voters) didn't split their tickets; giving the House and Senate to the D's (something I thought Independents would do to Clinton).....but Trump's a RINO at best.  He's not going to be the standard bearer that the Hard Right thinks he's going to be. I've said it all along; he'll be as big a burr under the R's saddle as he will be to the D's...because in the end; he's a member of the TRUMP party. 

Again, tunnel vision.

Two choices - status quo/anti-establishment maniac
which is why I jokingly/seriously threw out Oprah in here. 

people don't want more of the political machine/clans... they want outsiders. outsiders that have been vetted into universal recognition by reality TV. bring on Oprah. or Uma. 

Again, tunnel vision.

Two choices - status quo/anti-establishment maniac
Yeah but Trump isn't exactly endorsing tried and true Conservativism....most of his programs expand Big Government and are going to cost a mint.  This idea that there was a clear delineation between Right and Left/Conservative and Liberal just isn't true. To that, what change can the Democrats make to be more like the Trump Party? 

Obama didn't deliver on change.  

I think REPUBLICANS are misreading this election a little bit.  Sure, it's a bit disheartening that defecting Democrats (or Obama voters) didn't split their tickets; giving the House and Senate to the D's (something I thought Independents would do to Clinton).....but Trump's a RINO at best.  He's not going to be the standard bearer that the Hard Right thinks he's going to be. I've said it all along; he'll be as big a burr under the R's saddle as he will be to the D's...because in the end; he's a member of the TRUMP party. 
Democrats overreacted 2008, the GOP will overreact now. I'm more worried about what the GOP will read into this election than the Dems in 08 but that's for another thread.

You realize last night isn't the only election that matters?  Dems have been getting their ### kicked for 4 years. 

Democrats overreacted 2008, the GOP will overreact now. I'm more worried about what the GOP will read into this election than the Dems in 08 but that's for another thread.
With the SC vacancy(ies)......the Republicans score a sweet prize even if they #### the bed for the next four years...and if they manage to keep it in their pants and deliever what they promised....they'll win 2020 as well (that Senate map doesn't look great for the D's either).  If that's the case, the Democrats will have painted themselves into a corner(losing SC vacancies and the ability to redistrict) for the 2020s regardless if they win. 

Users who are viewing this thread