What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2017 ACC Sports (1 Viewer)

Rough start to the year for duke with the 3 injuries. They are still a good team  (which is scary,given what they are missing ) but KU now has the advantage tomorrow. Although I had visions of a run at 40 wins in my head, they're now at the point where they're sort of playing with house money tomorrow. Tough to see them winning tomorrow unless they somehow contain Mason. That will be tough with only Jefferson as a viable interior defender (since the Duke guards will likely struggle to keep him out of the lane)

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah state has some really nice pieces  (although I cant pretend I know anything about the turk outside of what I've seen on youtube). 

Smith is an uberstud

Distraction much needed at the moment.

LOVE the way the Heels look in the first two games. Bradley + a year of development from Meeks and Hicks can hopefully replace some of what was lost with Brice Johnson. Joel Berry ready to make the leap to stardom. Kenny Williams could be the spot-up three point shooter and perimeter defender that was missing last year (to the extent you can say anything was really missing from that team).  Rebounding a bit of a question mark but hopefully that will balance out, the size and talent are there.  Special shout out to Brandon Robinson, first time in years I've said "who the #### is that guy?" about a UNC player who appeared in the game before the final two minutes.

Haven't seen the heels play yet but read that Jackson has been great.

Always believed in berry. you don't win Florida POTY as a sophomore without big time ability.

I just think they're going to miss bryce so so badly. His put backs were their best offense at many points last year  (in the dozen or so games that I watched). Obviously hicks has the athleticism to replicate some of that but he probably won't come close to the touch that BJ had. Plus, I need to see him stay out of foul trouble for more than 2 minutes.

Not a huge Meeks fan. He'll put up ok numbers but nothing about him scares me at all. OK player but nothing special.

These injuries for duke blow.    Still have a really good team, but this has really taken away from my excitement about this team.   Chase Jeter and Matt Jones just aren't doing it for me.

'Cuse!!!

Bummed we lost Richardson to the draft.... and still not used to this ACC stuff, I'll be honest. 

Haven't seen the heels play yet but read that Jackson has been great.

Always believed in berry. you don't win Florida POTY as a sophomore without big time ability.

I just think they're going to miss bryce so so badly. His put backs were their best offense at many points last year  (in the dozen or so games that I watched). Obviously hicks has the athleticism to replicate some of that but he probably won't come close to the touch that BJ had. Plus, I need to see him stay out of foul trouble for more than 2 minutes.

Not a huge Meeks fan. He'll put up ok numbers but nothing about him scares me at all. OK player but nothing special.
Bolded is true, but they will be better from three point range than they were last year, possibly much better, which should help with the loss of his offense. Jackson really can't get any worse, and he appears much more confident.  Williams will be on the floor a good amount. Berry was good last year and hopefully will be a monster this year. That should help with spacing too; there's nobody who can knock it down from midrange or the low post like Johnson did, but hopefully guys like Hicks and Bradley will be able to get to the bucket instead.

Obviously it's very early, tough to tell, and I pretty much have to be optimistic considering the fact that the Wiz suck so this will be my only distraction from that other thing that's gonna happen this winter. But the results so far are good.  Chattanooga's a real team, 29 wins last year and a win over Tennessee already this year, and the Heels buried them.

These injuries for duke blow.    Still have a really good team, but this has really taken away from my excitement about this team.   Chase Jeter and Matt Jones just aren't doing it for me.
Matt Jones is a very limited player but it's not quite fair to judge him on late last year. he was clearly hobbled with the ankle injury.

Don't like seeing him drive at all but he's a great wing defender at the college level and will likely shoot above 35% from 3 again this year.  That has value, especially with this group.

Jeter sucks until future notice. He's big and mobile enough and does a nice job on the glass (he didn't actually collect a lot of rebounds on Saturday but he boxed out very well allowing Allen and Kennard to scoop them up ) but he's embarrassingly weak trying to play through contact . A hip check from my 92 year old grandmother could throw off one of his layup attempts. 

Pitt needed 2 OT's to handle Eastern Michigan in the opener, and then dropped 99 on Gardner Webb. Going from Dixon to Stallings is like going from Hickory High to Golden State. They should be fun to watch, if anything, even if they end up near the middle of the pack.

Pitt has SMU next in the 2K Classic, then either Marquette or Michigan depending on what happens.

Pitt needed 2 OT's to handle Eastern Michigan in the opener, and then dropped 99 on Gardner Webb. Going from Dixon to Stallings is like going from Hickory High to Golden State. They should be fun to watch, if anything, even if they end up near the middle of the pack.

Pitt has SMU next in the 2K Classic, then either Marquette or Michigan depending on what happens.
I saw absolutely no difference between the 2015 Pitt offense and the E. Michigan Pitt offense, and the only differences between the E. Michigan Pitt offense and the G-W Pitt offense are that more of the 3-pt. shots went in and G-W couldn't rebound. Meanwhile, the defense was non-existent in both games.  So, if you mean Hickory High played defense and Golden State doesn't, you might be right, and if losing games 100-85 is fun to watch, yeah, they'll be fun.  Personally, I'd rather watch them score 70 and have a chance to win.

Jeter looks like a completely different player out there.  They are going to be so strong up front if the 3 hurt freshman are everything they're made out to be.   

Duke - Kansas was a nice game. Congrats to KU on the victory.

On the Duke side, wow, really liked the onions of the freshman Jackson to nail the tying 3-point with under a minute to go.

Sucked to see duke lose like that, but given the circumstances ,  I'll survive. 

Coach k is coach k, so it's tough to criticise him, but going the whole way with just Jefferson and Jeter up front seemed like a mistake. delaurier has looked capable (albeit raw) so far. 

If ku can give minutes to Lightfoot I don't see why delaurier couldn't play 5 or 6 minutes to try and alleviate some foul trouble 

What is the reset on UVa expectations? Everyone was high on Nichols, but the team seems to be playing well without him already. Still top 3-4 or slip back because the ACC looks loaded.

And Wolfpack O looked fine last night. Other end need some work, but I suspect the NCAA is going to have to factor in the absence of  Yurtseven - and to some extent Kapita and Maverick - when looking at their seeding.

And getting ready for another round of late night with Roy. Games in Hawaii suck.

I wasn't sure who Nichols was and what had happened so after getting his full name I googled him and it turns out there's an actor who looks like him. Very confusing.

How much does this really hurt UVA?  Seems like he was expected to be a solid rotation guy, but I obviously know nothing about him.

Pretty highly regarded:

2nd team All-ACC - "Memphis transfer Austin Nichols joins a team that needed little help to be considered a national title contender and with him, they’re now favorites."

NBC Sports 2nd team A-A: "Nichols is going to be the star for this year’s Virginia team, which is once again a contender for the ACC title. As a sophomore at Memphis, the former McDonald’s All-American averaged 13.4 points, 6.7 boards and 3.4 blocks. He spent last season redshirting at Virginia and learning the system, which he is a perfect fit for. He’s a better big man that Anthony Gill, and Anthony Gill was one of the most underrated players in the country last season."

Cue the yearly "If Gott could just get his guys to play D..." line.

Not too worried, Creighton is very good and it will take a while to gel once we get all our guys back.  But 112 points, yeesh.

'Cuse!!!

Bummed we lost Richardson to the draft.... and still not used to this ACC stuff, I'll be honest. 
Sure would've been nice to have him back. Him and Lydon would have made a nice 1-2. Hard to see them really competing with the big guns this year.Hopefully that zone will keep them in enough games to have a shot at a few upsets.

Pitt actually played a little D for a change.  Maryland was so surprised they didn't know how to react until the middle of the second half.   Luckily, that was too late to make a difference.

'Cuse!!!

Don't think I'll ever get used to it..... and I'm sure Richardson might be rethinking leaving now that he's in the D League and Sacramento 

Bolded is true, but they will be better from three point range than they were last year, possibly much better, which should help with the loss of his offense. Jackson really can't get any worse, and he appears much more confident.  Williams will be on the floor a good amount. Berry was good last year and hopefully will be a monster this year. That should help with spacing too; there's nobody who can knock it down from midrange or the low post like Johnson did, but hopefully guys like Hicks and Bradley will be able to get to the bucket instead.

Obviously it's very early, tough to tell, and I pretty much have to be optimistic considering the fact that the Wiz suck so this will be my only distraction from that other thing that's gonna happen this winter. But the results so far are good.  Chattanooga's a real team, 29 wins last year and a win over Tennessee already this year, and the Heels buried them.
Throwing caution to the wind following this up before a road game at a top ten opponent, but this post holds up two weeks and a Maui tournament later.  The Heels are very, very good.  It's tempting to attribute part of it to continuity so early in the season, but they've been playing without three of their top five guys in terms of minutes last year (Johnson, Paige, Pinson) and they have less experience in the rotation than the Wisconsin team they embarrassed last week.  The spacing is better on offense, which allows them to stay efficient when the other team is able to slow the tempo.  Every returning player has upped their game. Tony Bradley is way better than advertised.

Two biggest concerns are: (1) Bradley looks like he's good enough to leave after this season if he wants, which would leave the Heels totally barren in the frontcourt for the next season or two; and (2) if Duke really does have three freshmen waiting in the wings who are all better than Bradley (as the recruiting rankings suggest), they're gonna be ridiculous.

Throwing caution to the wind following this up before a road game at a top ten opponent, but this post holds up two weeks and a Maui tournament later.  The Heels are very, very good.  It's tempting to attribute part of it to continuity so early in the season, but they've been playing without three of their top five guys in terms of minutes last year (Johnson, Paige, Pinson) and they have less experience in the rotation than the Wisconsin team they embarrassed last week.  The spacing is better on offense, which allows them to stay efficient when the other team is able to slow the tempo.  Every returning player has upped their game. Tony Bradley is way better than advertised.

Two biggest concerns are: (1) Bradley looks like he's good enough to leave after this season if he wants, which would leave the Heels totally barren in the frontcourt for the next season or two; and (2) if Duke really does have three freshmen waiting in the wings who are all better than Bradley (as the recruiting rankings suggest), they're gonna be ridiculous.
Agree on all points. I didn't have many expectations for the Heels this year with how they ended the season and losing 2 key pieces from last year. Thought they could be a Sweet 16 team, but nothing more. Now, they look like a legit contender. I know it's early, but I've been super impressed.

Tonight's game at Indiana is a huge test. We beat Indiana in the tourney last year, but a road game is never easy, especially at a place like IU. Can they win tonight? Of course. I was surprised to see the Heels listed as the favorites. I'm expecting a close, high scoring game. If the Heels can play some defense and hit some 3s, I think they can pull this out.

my 11yo son wants to know why UNC is "always good". what should i tell him?  ;)
Tell him to wait until the end of the season.  Their Feb schedule is just brutal (they end with 5 of 7 games against top 7 Pomeroy teams).    

Tell him to wait until the end of the season.  Their Feb schedule is just brutal (they end with 5 of 7 games against top 7 Pomeroy teams).    
Certainly a backloaded conference schedule. Will be interesting to see how they navigate through it. 2 games each against Duke and UVa

Look, I'm not a hall of fame coach like Roy Williams, but how does anyone who has seen the 2 play basketball decide to put Luke Maye in before Tony Bradley?

I feel like Roy always costs himself a couple of buckets in the first half of these games by going too deep into his bench.

If you've got or 10 good players, play em. But Luke Maye doesn't qualify. Barring foul trouble, there's no reason UNC can't get through this game with Meeks, Hicks and Bradley down low.

Roy took another shot at his team's fan's lack of enthusiasm at home in post game comments after losing to Indy.

It's only been 7 games but Isaac is the best player I've ever seen at FSU. He looks out of place here. 

Look, I'm not a hall of fame coach like Roy Williams, but how does anyone who has seen the 2 play basketball decide to put Luke Maye in before Tony Bradley?

I feel like Roy always costs himself a couple of buckets in the first half of these games by going too deep into his bench.

If you've got or 10 good players, play em. But Luke Maye doesn't qualify. Barring foul trouble, there's no reason UNC can't get through this game with Meeks, Hicks and Bradley down low.
Yeah Roy does love to go deep in his bench early in the season. Not sure why Luke Maye keeps getting the minutes he does, but maybe he's trying to ease Bradley in? I'm not sure.

Yeah Roy does love to go deep in his bench early in the season. Not sure why Luke Maye keeps getting the minutes he does, but maybe he's trying to ease Bradley in? I'm not sure.
<insert Roy keeping guys from being one-and-dones joke here>

Impressed with what Amile is bringing tonight.

Kennard also.

Grayson seems out of sorts...like he's got sea legs.

Jones...doing whatever Jones does.  I guess defense...I honestly never actually watch the guy.

Love Amile.   He really came into his own last year.  Almost a blessing in disguise that he got hurt for both him and the team so that he can make a run with a much better squad squad.  Him, tatum, allen, kennard (going to be fun watching this guy for a few years) and jones (very good 3 and d compliment to the others)  is an awesome lineup.  Can't remember the last time there was so many scoring options on the court at the same time.  Super excited for this squad now that tatum is back.

Not sure how you play better than Kennard and Jefferson are playing right now. They're both first team AA good at the moment.

On the other side, Allen needs to sit for a few weeks. Dished off a couple of nice assists tonight but clearly has ZERO lower body stability due to the turf toe. He just throws layups toward the rim from basically a flat footed position because he can't elevate.

35 minutes of Matt Jones is ridiculous. He's a very strong wing defender (not a great PG defender) but he's playing way too much for a guy who can't handle the ball and isn't really needed as a 3 point shooter (once allen is healthy and Tatum is fully integrated). He has 5 points in the last 3 games...combined.  Zero points, 2 rebounds, 1 assist tonight in 35 minutes. His D is a big help at times but he lowers this team's ceiling.

Tatum starting to look like the player I've seen over the past 3 summers. Incredible footwork work in the mid post and uses his length really well on both ends of the floor. Great FT shooter as well.

Bolden looked like someone took a #### in his cheerios sitting on the bench basically the entire game (after picking up 2 early fouls). He looked great at midnight madness and their first scrimmage but he has really fallen out of shape in the 3 or 4 weeks he's been off. He better get his stuff together because Giles is like 2 weeks away (based on some of the moves he's throwing in warmups, he's probably ready now)  and Jefferson aint coming out in close games. (and you know K will play small with Tatum at the 4 in certain match-ups or in end game scenarios)

This team still has the potential to be scary good but with all the injuries, i wonder just how long it will take to get everyone healthy at the same time and figure out the rotations.

Ideally, the rotation would be something like this....

G- Kennard (30 minutes) Jackson (10)

G- Allen (30) Jackson (10)

SF-Tatum (25)  Jones (15)

PF- Giles (25) Jefferson (10) Tatum (5)

C- Jefferson (20) Bolden (20)

But in reality, Jones is going to keep playing 30 minutes per game at the expense of Jackson. And Tatum will likely play more 4 (taking minutes from Bolden) except against bigger teams unless Bolden starts playing better.  Jeter, Delaurier and Vrankovic are buried if Giles comes back healthy.

I don't mind Jones out there at all.   Last year it was rough b/c we needed him to be a scorer, but all he needs to do on offense this year is sit in the corner and let the other 4 guys operate.   I think that 4 legitimate one on one scorers is more than enough.  I'll take his d instead.  He certainly can't be turning the ball over like he did the one time when the guy picked his pocket on the crossover.  K must have faith in his ballhandling b/c he was the one at the point late in the game for most possessions.  Its nuts how much talent this team has.   

My guess is Jones's time comes down once Giles comes back.  Tatum was acting as a de facto PG for some of that game, so I won't be shocked if he's playing the 3 alongside Luke and Allen for 15 minutes a game.  Jones is still the best on the ball defender, so he'll get his time, but any of the Duke big lineups with Tatum at the 3 are going to be special.  

It was also nice to see the press some last night.  With either Giles or Bolden as the anchor and Amile as the point, that is going to be a very effective formation especially since the big problem with the defense is dribble penetration.  Amile isn't a great help defender and from what I've seen of Bolden, he's able but still learning, teams are going to have to get that penetration to have any shot.

And for whatever reason, Tatum just looks big physically on the court (it's almost the exact opposite of Jefferson who can look small).  There are a handful of NCAA players that can physically handle him at either the 3 or 4 and his ability to absorb contact is NBA special.  

Allen just needs to sit until the turf toe is at least a little better.  

If Jones is making a couple of 3's a game, fine. but he has 5 points in the last 3 games . 
And they are still #1 in kenpom in offensive efficiency (which is absurd when you think about it with all the time missed).  He'll play a lot until K is comfortable with the bigs help defense on penetration.

Users who are viewing this thread