Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Koya

A week later, I am still crushed. The perspective of a mixed-race marriage and a loss of trust

Recommended Posts

Godparents are overrated.

Two kids, four godparents.  One godparent became a heroin addict (clean for eight years).   Another married a horrible woman who Mrs. Eephus detests so we never see them anymore.  I still love my sister but she lives half a country away and I'm not sure about the fourth. 

Their job is basically not to drop the baby.  If we were to die in a horrible mosh pit accident, we would want our family members to watch over our kids.  Our friends are friends.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In a twist of events, we now get to watch republicans root for good jobs report, a strong economy and low unemployment while the democrats root for the opposite?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, FatUncleJerryBuss said:

I didn't vote Trump and didn't want him president but let's quit the crap of the white persons fault.   Only 50% of white people voted and it is not like there was no way for the other side to win.  I do not understand why people voted Trump but I also understand around 50% of people didn't vote.   Minorities could have stopped this and didn't care enough too, just like the white people.   Just the facts. 

yep, but it won't stop.  Just the facts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel bad for you Koya but not for the reason you think. I'm sure you like most liberals learned that America is the most racist xenophobic country in the world at university. You actually paid to become stupid. We are in the most accepting country in the world hands down yet you don't see it. Sad.  

The problem for your side, the game is up(at least for now). People are tired of being called stupid, racist, xenophobic. Tired of failed left wing ideas, tired of the media telling us we are awful if we don't vote left.  That is why all the polls were wrong. Who's going to say they voted for trump to someone who will feel the above about them if they do?

You have nothing to fear about for your mixed kids.  Raise them to be good people and not that they are half this and half that and most importantly don't raise them to be a victim. Don't tell them whitty is out to put them down or because they are black they are disadvantaged.  Don't give them your college learned baggage because it's just not true. 

  • Like 10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, GrandpaRox said:
7 minutes ago, Dr Oadi said:

Meanwhile Trump supporters get hospitalized and their cars stolen. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVE0JekVvt0

This should not surprise anyone on either the right or left.

Neither should this, amirite? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Doctor Detroit said:

Neither should this, amirite? 

 

Idiots/extremists on both sides are idiots/extremists.  But not everyone who voted for Trump is an idiot/extremist/racist.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Ignoratio Elenchi said:

A lot of us felt like this was always a false equivalence.  Like, "Yeah our guy sucks but she sucks too!"  I wasn't thrilled about Hillary but I think Trump is far worse. :shrug:

And many people thought Hillary was far worse that Trump... just like any other election.  But with so many people painting with such a broad brush about Trump voters, sometimes it feels necessary to remind the left that candidate sucked too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MaxThreshold said:

Okay, I've had about enough of this crap.  You guys are a bunch of fragile flowers.  How have you made it this far in life?  Seriously?  This is simply amazing that grown ### men have become a bunch of wussies.  You should really turn in your man card if you're having this much trouble.

I'd hate to see how you react when your internet goes out or when someone says "no" to you.  Do your run to your safe space?  Maybe quick dial your therapist to help you make it thru your difficult period?

I seriously could only make it thru about the first 20 posts before I had to give up.  I'm not even going to bother with the rest of the pages.  Uggh.

With all of the whining, a popular quote during the election is being changed to "Grab them by the Democrat."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, D-Day said:

With all of the whining, a popular quote during the election is being changed to "Grab them by the Democrat."

Odd that people would want to keep that episode front and center. Not very smart.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Card Trader said:

I better stop letting my parents (Voted Trump) see their mixed-race grandkids because of who they voted for!  Makes sense.

I did.  My parents are out!  I hope I would have done the same in 1940 or whenever that election was.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Gr00vus said:

Odd that people would want to keep that episode front and center. Not very smart.

You are right. Damn, I was going to make millions by putting that on shirts, hats and coffee mugs.  :kicksrock:

I really could have used a new coffee mug.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Doctor Detroit said:

Um, I don't think all the sex you had in prison counts as a box. 

Doc, I know you're up to your normal evening routine of hitting the bottle and starting i-fights, but this thread is about Koya's feelings.  Sidetracking this thread with a pointless i-fight takes away from the focus.  Please respect Koya's feelings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Olaf said:

Doc, I know you're up to your normal evening routine of hitting the bottle and starting i-fights...

I am not stating an i-fight, I'm finishing it.  

What you should do is simply quit the internet, go commit a crime, return to prison.  Your overt racist posts and your unfunny delivery is no longer required here, TIA. 

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Doctor Detroit said:

I am not stating an i-fight, I'm finishing it.  

What you should do is simply quit the internet, go commit a crime, return to prison.  Your overt racist posts and your unfunny delivery is no longer required here, TIA. 

Typical democrat inciting someone to go out and commit a crime. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Loan Sharks said:

Typical democrat inciting someone to go out and commit a crime. 

Encouraging, not inciting.  ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, msommer said:

Ones that those recording it describe it as "anecdotal but not a fantasy". And AFTER they start looking for it?

Seems akin to realizing how many other people drive the car you just bought when you didn't recognize them at all before.

It doesn't excuse the idiots saying their idiotic things, of course. But like we see here, people say crazy things when they can hide behind their keyboards.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Capella said:

It's amazing how people have the ability to completely ignore this. 

Quote

The group said its new tracking method had found "on an anecdotal level [the increase in hate attacks] has been obvious".

They are using anecdotal evidence to come to the "obvious" conclusion that hate crimes are on the rise by Trump supporters... sorry if I don't really buy this.  Sounds more like they are trying to prove something they already believe.

However, I will say anyone (on either side) who physically attacks/treatens/etc. someone based on their political views is a POS - can we at least agree on that?

Edited by Steeler
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Capella said:

It's amazing how people have the ability to completely ignore this. 

So all of these crimes wouldn't have happened if Hilary won?

Explain that position to all the black people killed by police recently. NOT while Trump was president. 

Maybe it took Trump winning for white people to get a clue to what is actually going on in America. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If there's one thing I've learned from living in Utah, as is verified by the responses in this thread, it's that there is no one that better understands how minorities should feel about stuff than a bunch of white people surrounded by other white people.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have to admit I haven't read the whole thread, but I did read Koya's OP and his 2nd.

Let me say there was a time I was quite involved in local politics. After Katrina I came back roaring like an 18 wheeler on fire on Main Street.

I wanted change. I wanted permanent, undeniable change for the betterment of my family, and I felt quite patriotic about my little island and state like people do about their country. 

I had worked on campaigns but this time I got involved. Reform and change don't come like you want often. To tell you the truth they rarely come at all. When you turn around the people may not be following you over the hill like you thought. The bad guys can win and often do. Getting personally involved can be frustrating, things don't go as you like, and the truth is the outside world is often outside your control. Thing is you cannot let this affect you to the point you are in crisis. Humans are inexorably weak. We are mercurial. We  revert to seemingly antique behaviors we thought abandoned a century ago.

On a personal level you need to block out things which are irrelevant to your life - how is your life right now at this very moment? How are you interacting with people? Is the election affecting the way you exist? Do you have food? Warmth? Is your SO ok? Your children? Your family? Your home? Your dog? Those things are real.

Perspective is important.

The reality is that Post Cold War the US is not unlike other nations. Unhinged from the rubric created by WW1 & WW2 other nations have reverted to old nationalist, ethnic and religious coda. Why should the US not also be subject to these forces?

My feeling is that personally and in politics things are process oriented. In real life don't let outside forces affect you personally. Love is realer than anything. Your awareness of your existence and the presciousness of it are paramount. If you need to turn off the tv and the internet to do that accomplish that discipline to do it. But whatever you do never, abandon hope.

In politics it's the same thing. If we rely on our democracy, our freedom of speech, and all our rights, our belief in our ideals that is our rock. Focus on that. And put what is going on in the context of history, your unshakeable belief in your country, and the knowledge that you are stronger than any one storm going on around you.

Edited by SaintsInDome2006
  • Like 12

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, PIK95 said:

I did.  My parents are out!  I hope I would have done the same in 1940 or whenever that election was.

What if your kids or grandkids feel the same way in the future, but for the other side or some other reason? "You're out"!

Edited by Phil Elliott

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, SaintsInDome2006 said:

Perspective is important.

Well the thread is 14 pages because when electrons turn to feelings then people take note, some sympathize and some troll because they are who they are.  Whether you agree or not with Koya isn't the issue, it's whether you can put together three consecutive cogent sentences to respond to him.  So take a look at the first few pages with the :lmao::lmao::lmao: and :lmao: and :cry: posts and that kind of tells you who is who around here. 

I honestly don't understand everything Koya wrote because he kind of went Gekko there, but at least he's being honest with himself about things and was willing to share it.  It beats the Bernie Sanders or liberal intolerance thread, it's not all reactive :bs:   that no one cares about.  I like reading things from the heart, even if I don't agree with or understand everything.  :2cents: 

 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Dr Oadi said:

Liberals. 

I wouldn't say that. I would say crazy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Maurile Tremblay said:

It's been a week since the electoral result differed from expectations by about two percent. Is that two percent really enough to change your view about the electorate? If you're bummed about the electorate now, you should have been about equally bummed a few weeks ago. If you were optimistic a few weeks ago, you should still be optimistic now. The electorate is who we thought they were.

On an intellectual level, you're obviously right.  We knew all along that around 60 million people were going to vote for Trump.  It was disgraceful when he won his first delegate, disgraceful when he got the nomination, and disgraceful when he won his first electoral votes.  A few more votes shouldn't really make much of a difference in how we view things.  But on an emotional level, it's different when those votes come in victory instead of defeat. 

This week has been weird for me because I'm pulled in a bunch of different directions.  I sincerely enjoyed seeing Hillary flame out, and I'm extremely confident that the "surge in hate crimes" this week is pure fantasy.  Normally I would be mocking people who are out there protesting the new president.  But the new president is Donald Trump, and that's not in the same universe as George W. Bush or Barack Obama.  This really is a weird and non-standard time.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just a friendly reminder no President has more than 3 years tops to #### things up. Then the other team comes in and fixes it.

It'll be alright

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, tommyboy said:

What kind of person 86's his parents over a vote? Hfs

My Brother-in law is a really unreasonably conservative thinker and he likes to get details and facts wrong.  My Dad is just left of Bernie Sanders, he is the most well-read person I know but takes politics personal.  I try to offer perspective to both when we get together although both are too extreme relative to my political views.  My BIL is a good father to my nieces and he likes to fish, so he's ok in my book.  Dr D Sr is awesome, I learned to say it like it is from him.   I wouldn't dare talk to either this week. 

Edited by Doctor Detroit
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Maurile Tremblay said:

It's been a week since the electoral result differed from expectations by about two percent. Is that two percent really enough to change your view about the electorate? If you're bummed about the electorate now, you should have been about equally bummed a few weeks ago. If you were optimistic a few weeks ago, you should still be optimistic now. The electorate is who we thought they were.

As usual from Maurile. This. 

I think the degree to which this election was surprising represents how much of a bubble one lives in.  A third of my facebook feed thinks Trump is the Messiah. A third thinks he's the Anti Christ. And a third are like me and in the middle. For what it's worth, that was the exact same breakdown for Obama. It is what it is.

J

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Doctor Detroit said:

Well the thread is 14 pages because when electrons turn to feelings then people take note, some sympathize and some troll because they are who they are.  Whether you agree or not with Koya isn't the issue, it's whether you can put together three consecutive cogent sentences to respond to him.  So take a look at the first few pages with the :lmao::lmao::lmao: and :lmao: and :cry: posts and that kind of tells you who is who around here. 

I honestly don't understand everything Koya wrote because he kind of went Gekko there, but at least he's being honest with himself about things and was willing to share it.  It beats the Bernie Sanders or liberal intolerance thread, it's not all reactive :bs:   that no one cares about.  I like reading things from the heart, even if I don't agree with or understand everything.  :2cents: 

 

Are you saying if you don't sympathize, you're trolling?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, T J said:

Are you saying if you don't sympathize, you're trolling?

Not always, but I think his thoughts deserved a little compassion.  Busting his balls for it is one thing, what happened in here was quite another IMO.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Doctor Detroit said:

Not always, but I think his thoughts deserved a little compassion.  Busting his balls for it is one thing, what happened in here was quite another IMO.  

I hate to tell you but he absolutely sounds like he needs to get off the ledge. Seriously. And he needs to hear it. Here, I'll start - IT'LL BE OK, BUT YOU ARE WRONG TO LET IT AFFECT YOUR FRIENDSHIP. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, T J said:

I hate to tell you but he absolutely sounds like he needs to get off the ledge. Seriously. And he needs to hear it. Here, I'll start - IT'LL BE OK, BUT YOU ARE WRONG TO LET IT AFFECT YOUR FRIENDSHIP. 

Sure, that's a reasonable bit of advice. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, T J said:

I hate to tell you but he absolutely sounds like he needs to get off the ledge. Seriously. And he needs to hear it. Here, I'll start - IT'LL BE OK, BUT YOU ARE WRONG TO LET IT AFFECT YOUR FRIENDSHIP. 

No. He absolutely needs this to affect his friendship.

His friend doesn't deserve it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Doctor Detroit said:

It beats the Bernie Sanders or liberal intolerance thread, it's not all reactive :bs:   that no one cares about.

What's wrong with the Bernie Sanders thread? :boxing:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Doctor Detroit said:

Sure, that's a reasonable bit of advice. 

He IS wrong. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Dr Oadi said:

No. He absolutely needs this to affect his friendship.

His friend doesn't deserve it. 

And then there's that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Olaf said:

Koya, what's your address?  I want to send you and your unborn child matching onesies which read "We React the Same".

Worst attempt at humor in the lat six months?

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Joe Bryant said:

As usual from Maurile. This. 

I think the degree to which this election was surprising represents how much of a bubble one lives in.  A third of my facebook feed thinks Trump is the Messiah. A third thinks he's the Anti Christ. And a third are like me and in the middle. For what it's worth, that was the exact same breakdown for Obama. It is what it is.

J

Joe, your like to post ratio is really bad.  @ClownCausedChaos2 would be horrified.  Time to step up your game my friend. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Doctor Detroit said:

My Brother-in law is a really unreasonably conservative thinker and he likes to get details and facts wrong.  My Dad is just left of Bernie Sanders, he is the most well-read person I know but takes politics personal.  I try to offer perspective to both when we get together although both are too extreme relative to my political views.  My BIL is a good father to my nieces and he likes to fish, so he's ok in my book.  Dr D Sr is awesome, I learned to say it like it is from him.   I wouldn't dare talk to either this week. 

my best friend the last 29 years is an artistic arch liberal.  I'm sure we've voted exactly opposite thousands of times.   I can't imagine not talking to him over a vote or his political beliefs not aligning with mine.    Honestly life would be pretty boring if we all agreed all the time

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, msommer said:
Quote

These incidents include only a fraction of the approximately 260,000 reported and unreported hate crimes that a 2013 government study estimated occur annually.

According to the Southern Poverty Law Center - Link

Seems like there are hundreds of hate attacks a day in the U.S.

We were a jacked up, hateful country long before Trump. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All of these people who are ending relationships with friends and family because of their perception of other people's political decisions and views - well, I wouldn't consider their friendship much of a loss at all.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Nugget said:

According to the Southern Poverty Law Center - Link

Seems like there are hundreds of hate attacks a day in the U.S.

We were a jacked up, hateful country long before Trump. 

Good point.  How do we know there is an actual increase or just an increase in reporting?  Regardless these idiots should be thrown in jail.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Joe Bryant said:

As usual from Maurile. This. 

I think the degree to which this election was surprising represents how much of a bubble one lives in.  A third of my facebook feed thinks Trump is the Messiah. A third thinks he's the Anti Christ. And a third are like me and in the middle. For what it's worth, that was the exact same breakdown for Obama. It is what it is.

J

Would have thought another third would have had some thoughts about the lousy candidate Hillary turned out to be. :shrug:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.