What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

A week later, I am still crushed. The perspective of a mixed-race marriage and a loss of trust (1 Viewer)

It is to me a certainty that our debt will increase.  Regardless of campaign rhetoric or party platforms neither party has demonstrated that having their party in charge of the executive branch can truly restrain congresses hunger to outspend our available monies.

As for foreign affairs, we have elected real neophytes before.  That said, even those neophytes had the common sense to not agitate other countries to the extent Trump's rhetoric has.   We are asking much when we ask other governments to understand that the rhetoric was just election posturing.  Sure, other governments have seen saber rattling throughout history, but not to this extent, not from a first world mature democracy.  Me, I would have wished we did not elect a leader whose statements for public and foreign consumption are on a par with those of Kim Jung IL and Kim Jung Un. 
It's almost impossible to overstate how much of an outlier Trump is on foreign policy compared to any major Presidential candidate in modern history, let alone an incoming President-elect. 

Someone mentioned that climate change should be discussed more. I was responding to that. 
I brought it up - I didn't intend to hijack but I did want to point out that the back and forth around race/religion/sexual assault may end up being minor compared with the climate change issues we face.  Not to downplay those issues or Koya's thread/posts in any way.  Maybe it deserves it's own thread (or I'm sure we have one)

This kind of thinking can ruin your life.  I can see unconditional love for your owne kids maybe.  But even that can be destroyed.  I watched my uncle's son steal literally millions of dollars from his father.  The dad always always took him back.  It ruined him.  His son never attended his funeral.  Declined to see him in the hospital as prostate cancer ate away at him in the final couple days.   That son was not worthy of his love.  Unconditional love ruined quite a few relationships in that particular case.  
Hasn't ruined me yet and I've been let down in life as much as most.  I don't claim moral superiority above anyone else in this world.  I've also not always shown the kind of love I should have to others.  But it's served me well in life and made me a happier person.   Doesn't mean I haven't been hurt plenty of times.  That's part of it. 

I brought it up - I didn't intend to hijack but I did want to point out that the back and forth around race/religion/sexual assault may end up being minor compared with the climate change issues we face.  Not to downplay those issues or Koya's thread/posts in any way.  Maybe it deserves it's own thread (or I'm sure we have one)
There is a thread for it, climate change discussions, that is https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/topic/619690-the-case-against-global-warming-skepticism/#comment-13712168

I'm not sure climate change matters much if the world is going to end in the next four years anyway.
Seems to me the "bigger issue" is more that Trump literally has no idea what he's doing on a vast array of issues.  I mean, he apparently thought all the White House staffers from the Obama administration would stay on.  He literally didn't know he'd need to staff the White House below his top advisors.  And I don't know what the scariest result from that would be.  Is it that Trump will careen unpredictably between policy positions based on gut instinct or is it that he'll essentially be a puppet to advisers with agendas like W was in his first term. 

Seems to me the "bigger issue" is more that Trump literally has no idea what he's doing on a vast array of issues.  I mean, he apparently thought all the White House staffers from the Obama administration would stay on.  He literally didn't know he'd need to staff the White House below his top advisors.  And I don't know what the scariest result from that would be.  Is it that Trump will careen unpredictably between policy positions based on gut instinct or is it that he'll essentially be a puppet to advisers with agendas like W was in his first term. 
No puppet.  No puppet.  You're the puppet.

This country is bigger than one man.  It will still be here after him.  Racism, violence, division all existed before him becoming President.  It's us as a collective that cause it and it's us that can fix it.

You have full control over your own life and how you choose to raise your theoretical children.  Just raise them to be self reliant and not overly-sensitive ####### and they'll be fine.

For those of us who didn't vote for Trump we just have to take it one day at a time. 

It would not be as bad if some of those who wanted him would be a little more gracious in their win. Makes it tough to not hate him and oppose him on everything from the start like they did to Obama.

It would also not be as bad if we did not have to hear about him as much. So he went out to dinner last night and did not tell the press? Who cares? Talk about something else on the news. Please. 

doowain said:
This country is bigger than one man.  It will still be here after him.  Racism, violence, division all existed before him becoming President.  It's us as a collective that cause it and it's us that can fix it.

You have full control over your own life and how you choose to raise your theoretical children.  Just don't raise them to be sensitive ####### and they'll be alright.
Amen! 

Unfortunately for Kota, it is going to take some time to unlearn many of the lies the media implanted in his brain over the past 13 months.  Don't worry, your interracial children are going to be great, and they are going to grow up in a great nation.

This kind of thinking can ruin your life.  I can see unconditional love for your owne kids maybe.  But even that can be destroyed.  I watched my uncle's son steal literally millions of dollars from his father.  The dad always always took him back.  It ruined him.  His son never attended his funeral.  Declined to see him in the hospital as prostate cancer ate away at him in the final couple days.   That son was not worthy of his love.  Unconditional love ruined quite a few relationships in that particular case.  
You say there's no such thing as unconditional love and then give us an example of someone displaying unconditional love?

Hey guys I'm a little out of the loop, could someone let me know if Koya's future kids are going to be mixed-race, or what

Hey guys I'm a little out of the loop, could someone let me know if Koya's future kids are going to be mixed-race, or what
So, it looks like they will have a father of one race and a mother of a different race.  I'm not sure what that means, though.

Hasn't ruined me yet and I've been let down in life as much as most.  I don't claim moral superiority above anyone else in this world.  I've also not always shown the kind of love I should have to others.  But it's served me well in life and made me a happier person.   Doesn't mean I haven't been hurt plenty of times.  That's part of it. 
Maybe.  Hope you make it through relatively unscathed.  My experience is that I've seen it absolutely destroy families.  

You say there's no such thing as unconditional love and then give us an example of someone displaying unconditional love?
My point is that his unconditional love for his family was neither reciprocated nor appreciated.  It ruined many relationships for my uncle as well.  

I'm gonna throw my unsolicited opinion out toward what I think to be the real crux of the OP and avoid the political aspect of it:  parenthood and children

OP doesn't have them yet, but I think it's safe to assume he and the wife intend to have them.  As a father of a soon to be 2 year old, my following thoughts come solely from personal experience...simply having a child will produce a much better picture of who your friends are than their vote ever could.  You'll know pretty quickly just how close knit a lot of your current group of friends are when a baby is thrown in the mix.  Not to say that you'll flat out lose friends, but there'll be a separation from those that treat you like family and those that are simply friends.

Furthermore, you are going to change completely.  Not your political holdings, but how that stuff impacts you and your reactions to it.  Your world will become much much smaller, it'll be comparable in size to your little baby because that will be your world now.  Cliches like "the world isn't all black and white" become relevant and applicable; but not in some simplistic manner, just in how you now manage your life compared to how you thought things were prior to having children.

I'm gonna stop rambling as this could get even more incoherent and I get the sense it's tone is a bit negative...it isn't, children should be viewed as the greatest achievement in your life and you and the wife should chase that joy with all your energy.  I'm simply saying that while this election does have impacts on life, the bigger impact of having a child will be a much better indicator of who these friends are to you and your family.  Let that reality dictate how you proceed, not their vote; I would venture to guess your concerns expressed in the OP would be much more easily understood by the friends when the reality of child rearing is physical over political hypotheticals (no, that's not a dismissal of your personal concerns)

With regard to climate change, there were those of us who wanted to discuss it during the election, but the media rarely brought it up as an issue. During the 3 debates between Trump and Clinton, the topic was never even raised- there was one offhand question about energy and that was it. And yet its going to be perhaps the most important aspect of Trump's Presidency. So frustrating to me.
Hillary's team could have easily suggested a question for Donna Brazile to take back to her bosses.

For those of us who didn't vote for Trump we just have to take it one day at a time. 

It would not be as bad if some of those who wanted him would be a little more gracious in their win. Makes it tough to not hate him and oppose him on everything from the start like they did to Obama.

It would also not be as bad if we did not have to hear about him as much. So he went out to dinner last night and did not tell the press? Who cares? Talk about something else on the news. Please. 
Even though there are a handful of idiot Trump supporters who can't seem to get past the "I won, I'm so happy" part of the election, we're entering the time where real policies and legislation will be coming forward, which is a welcome change. Evaluating the merits and faults of policy and legislation on their face is what I'm looking forward to, and I won't let the handful taint the perspective of whether it may be good policy or not. 

Even though there are a handful of idiot Trump supporters who can't seem to get past the "I won, I'm so happy" part of the election, we're entering the time where real policies and legislation will be coming forward, which is a welcome change. Evaluating the merits and faults of policy and legislation on their face is what I'm looking forward to, and I won't let the handful taint the perspective of whether it may be good policy or not. 
It is an interesting time, I mean, normally we have had 18 months of actual policy discussion leading up to this point, but now we sort of start from scratch.

It's a brave new world

It is an interesting time, I mean, normally we have had 18 months of actual policy discussion leading up to this point, but now we sort of start from scratch.

It's a brave new world
Yeah. No one knows what he actually can or will do. Although I appreciated a few specifics in his first 100 days statement. 

It would not be as bad if some of those who wanted him would be a little more gracious in their win.
It could got a lot worse for you guys who hate Trump.  If he is 1/10 as insufferable as Obama was for his first year running around saying "I won" and "you lost" at every turn you guys are in for a bumpy ride.

Why can't he do both?

The idea that the media did not stack the deck enough for Hillary is absurd.  I can't believe this is even being trotted out as a serious argument.
They called him sexist racist xenophobic homophobic transphobic msyoganist but if they would have just called him climate change denier then she would have won. 

90% can't lose. 

seven to one. 

It is fun to remember when Republicans cared about debt.  Only seems to happen when they don't have the White House

It is fun to remember when Republicans cared about debt.  Only seems to happen when they don't have the White House
this is true.   One of my main issues with Republican party.

brings up a nice point i'd like to make.  Even though there are millions of Republicans,  the Republican leadership does not give two cents about me or people they're supposed to represent.  This is why Trump won.   Many people saw the elite NEVER TRUMPERS from the Republican leadership, the same people that wanted to destroy the Tea Party.    People thought "you're just as much of a problem as the Democrats" and voted for trump as a vote against Hillary and elite Republicans that have lost touch with the party.

Trump talked about law and order, enforcing immigration, renegotiating trade agreements.   These are all against the Republican leadership ideas.   They wanted Jeb Bush, Marco Rubio etc....    all the vanilla Republicans lost to trump in the prelims because "conservatives" liked that he wasn't ignoring legitimate issues to a wide swath of voters.  

For years, Republican leadership has talked about conservative ideas to get votes, but once in power they've operated on their own interests, or the interests of business partners.

Trump ran against that and won

Users who are viewing this thread