What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

A week later, I am still crushed. The perspective of a mixed-race marriage and a loss of trust (1 Viewer)

What are the odds he sends that if Hillary wins? Zero.

He's a public employee and therefore should represent the middle ground of all his taxpayer employers. 

This is unnecessary and biased to one half of the political spectrum. I find it childish and insulting
I'd say this was the "middle ground." Trump only got 19.7% in Montgomery County.  

To be fair, I do believe Trump made some noise early in his campaign about "revisiting" the law that grants any person born in the United States legal citizenship.  (i.e., you were born here, but your parents are both illegals).
And anchor baby discussions would pertain to legally adopted children how, precisely?

Here's the thing.  I cannot imagine a scenario, any scenario, where I ever would have voted for Trump. I hate Hillary but cannot say the same thing of her.  To my way of thinking this is an outcome that is unprecedented and unimaginable.  That said, I see no reason to conflate the already unimaginable.  Koya is getting himself worked up and I don't find it healthy.  I like Koya and just want to talk him off the ledge, or at least make certain he is in an OSHA approved safety harness while he is out there.

It's baffling to see people blow the election results off as no big deal.

We elected a racist, misogynistic reality TV star with a personality disorder and no foreign policy/political experience.  How are you supposed to talk someone into being concerned about that?  It's like trying to talk someone into 2+2=4.  If they don't get it, what can you do?
Honestly, even if you ignore all of this, it's still impossible to categorize this as a normal election and dismiss people's concerns unless you're being totally disingenuous or haven't been paying attention. 

-Neither living former GOP president was willing to endorse or vote for him, and the two most recent GOP chiefs of staff strongly opposed his candidacy.

-At least 50 former GOP national security officials signed a statement rejecting Trump, saying they are "convinced he would be a dangerous president and would put at risk our country's national security and well-being."

-Almost no newspapers or magazines endorsed him.  Several broke with history to issue an endorsement or to endorse a democrat.

-Many GOP senators and representatives rejected his candidacy outright, many more refused to campaign for him.

I suppose it's possible to reject all of this as "elitist" thinking or believe you know what's good for the country more than all the "so-called experts" or "Beltway insiders" or "liberal media" or whatever you tell yourself to rationalize your support for Trump.  But you can't act like this is a normal election  Even setting aside the charges of bigotry and sexual assault and so on and so on, the stuff in this post alone is unprecedented stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
Again the truth is not poisoning or brainwashing.  Your kid, being a New Yorker, is in school with people who are rightly very afraid right now.  He's going to pick it up. I guess he can just say, "Sucks about your mom being deported. Daddy is taking me to the pool later!"
The truth as you perceive it & now how your kids perceive it - I've got a pot luck lunch this weekend with 2 classes from my kids school, I wonder how many of them are "rightly very afraid right now." So much drama, and to think it is being pushed on little kids, so sad! You only get your childhood once, my kids won't ever cry over an election due to my beliefs, that is for damn sure. 

My kids will develop their own opinions and beliefs, it won't be forced from me. 

The truth as you perceive it & now how your kids perceive it - I've got a pot luck lunch this weekend with 2 classes from my kids school, I wonder how many of them are "rightly very afraid right now." So much drama, and to think it is being pushed on little kids, so sad! You only get your childhood once, my kids won't ever cry over an election due to my beliefs, that is for damn sure. 

My kids will develop their own opinions and thoughts, it won't be forced from me. 
Well, admittedly since you are in private school, probably not many.  Report back with a tally when you hit public.  

Again the truth is not poisoning or brainwashing.  Your kid, being a New Yorker, is in school with people who are rightly very afraid right now.  He's going to pick it up. I guess he can just say, "Sucks about your mom being deported. Daddy is taking me to the pool later!"
Only if she is in the country illegally has a criminal record.  Estimated 2 million immigrants fall into this category out of the 11.4 illegal immigrants.  Legal immigrants have nothing to worry about.

This is about legality not white vs. black/brown.

It's baffling to see people blow the election results off as no big deal.

We elected a racist, misogynistic reality TV star with a personality disorder and no foreign policy/political experience.  How are you supposed to talk someone into being concerned about that?  It's like trying to talk someone into 2+2=4.  If they don't get it, what can you do?
It may not be that it's getting blown off as no big deal as much as it is people hopeful to move forward in a positive direction despite the obvious shortcomings.

Well, admittedly since you are in private school, probably not many.  Report back with a tally when you hit public.  
It's a UPK program, completely public, 2016-2017 didn't cost me a dime. 

Son has two GF's the little stud, Spanish girl and a black girl - I've mentioned her in the kids name thread. 

If Trump carries through on his promises it won't be a) local (ie only the US) and b) minor, but I grant you there may be more than one
There was going to be a recession regardless of who was president.  We have been limping along in one of the longest recoveries ever.

Whether it was Trump or Hillary I think they were always going to be a one-and-done.

Ok, then report back after pot luck, I mean if the topic comes up.
Wouldn't change my perspective at all, my boys childhood is sacred to me - he isn't even 4 years old, he doesn't need to know how ####ed up this world is, plenty of time to figure that when he gets older. For now, I'll ensure his happiness anyway I can. 

Any parent who gets a very little child invested in politics disgusts me and should be ashamed of themselves.

-Neither living former GOP president was willing to endorse or vote for him, and the two most recent GOP chiefs of staff strongly opposed his candidacy.

-At least 50 former GOP national security officials signed a statement rejecting Trump, saying they are "convinced he would be a dangerous president and would put at risk our country's national security and well-being."

-Almost no newspapers or magazines endorsed him.  Several broke with history to issue an endorsement or to endorse a democrat.

-Many GOP senators and representatives rejected his candidacy outright, many more refused to campaign for him.

This is why he got elected.  Did you see the crowds for Bernie and Trump?  People were fed-up with the two-party system.  They wanted change.  They wanted change when Obama ran too.  Hillary represented no change.  The voters rejected her.  Trump reprented bigly change.  People held their noses and voted bigly change.

Wouldn't change my perspective at all, my boys childhood is sacred to me - he isn't even 4 years old, he doesn't need to know how ####ed up this world is, plenty of time to figure that when he gets older. For now, I'll ensure his happiness anyway I can. 

Any parent who gets a very little child invested in politics disgusts me and should be ashamed of themselves.
I don't disagree, I'm just saying you are being naive if you think all of this isn't trickling down (see what I did there) to your little one.  That's what I mean by they aren't stupid.  They hear everything.  

My kids will develop their own opinions and beliefs, it won't be forced from me. 
Burdening kids with this crap is just ####ty parenting.  There are a lot of truths in the world that are frightening.  You don't have to dump them all on your kid's doorstep.  That's just cruel.

Burdening kids with this crap is just ####ty parenting.  There are a lot of truths in the world that are frightening.  You don't have to dump them all on your kid's doorstep.  That's just cruel.
Not all the opinions that kids pick up come from their parents. HTH

I'd say this was the "middle ground." Trump only got 19.7% in Montgomery County.  
i live in the same type county.   you know what I mean you've always been a rational guy. I believe it was you that changed my thinking on gay marriage, for example.

contrast that principal to my daughters HS principal.   Its the top Catholic school in Oregon.    There are student protests going on daily here in Portland.    

She sent an email yesterday saying that any student that left campus to protest was an unexcused absence and grades would be accounted for accordingly.

I don't disagree, I'm just saying you are being naive if you think all of this isn't trickling down (see what I did there) to your little one.  That's what I mean by they aren't stupid.  They hear everything.  
I just don't think any of this should be within an earshot of a little child and I know quite a few parents that got their 3-4 year olds worked up over this. 

They had a vote in my son's class - I saw the picture 10 Hillary 4 Trump. I asked my son who he voted for, he said Donald Trump - he starts cracking up like he is making a joke and says "bc that is Donald Ducks brother hahahahaha." I guarantee a few of those Hillary voters were influenced by their parents, the fact that my boy voted Trump bc of Donald Duck made me smile.

Hey son, that was the wrong choice - he is a racist that is going to deport all Mexicans and make rape legal. 

Not all the opinions that kids pick up come from their parents. HTH
Obviously.  It's not the parent's fault if they pick it up elsewhere.  At that point you just try to explain it to them without scaring the crap out of them.

I just don't think any of this should be within an earshot of a little child and I know quite a few parents that got their 3-4 year olds worked up over this. 

They had a vote in my son's class - I saw the picture 10 Hillary 4 Trump. I asked my son who he voted for, he said Donald Trump - he starts cracking up like he is making a joke and says "bc that is Donald Ducks brother hahahahaha." I guarantee a few of those Hillary voters were influenced by their parents, the fact that my boy voted Trump bc of Donald Duck made me smile.

Hey son, that was the wrong choice - he is a racist that is going to deport all Mexicans and make rape legal. 
Ok, you've made your point.  Your son=average mid west voter.

I kid you mouth breathers.  I kid.  

Enlighten me, all kids are 3 or 4 year olds?
The back and forth I've been involved with in reference to children started with a conversation about preschoolers. That appeared to be the start of this back and forth involving children, that is what Jonessed responded to and you quoted him. 

This is why he got elected.  Did you see the crowds for Bernie and Trump?  People were fed-up with the two-party system.  They wanted change.  They wanted change when Obama ran too.  Hillary represented no change.  The voters rejected her.  Trump reprented bigly change.  People held their noses and voted bigly change.
Sure.  I mean personally, I think it's incredibly stupid for regular people to think they know more about what's best for the safety and security of the United States than national security officials on both sides of the aisle. And I think it's incredibly stupid that people think they know what a president does and does not do more than former presidents and chiefs of staff on both sides of the aisle.

But whatever, that's just one dumb-### guy's opinion.  That wasn't my point. 

My point was that you cannot pretend this is just another election and compare reactions to it to reactions to previous elections.  We're in uncharted territory here just based on the four items I listed.  This is different.  Maybe you think it's different in a good way, and you're entitled to your opinion on that.  But you're not entitled to ignore reality and pretend this is the same as any other presidential election of our lifetimes.  I gave you four huge, unprecedented differences, and we all know I could have easily given you forty more.

The back and forth I've been involved with in reference to children started with a conversation about preschoolers. That appeared to be the start of this back and forth involving children, that is what Jonessed responded to and you quoted him. 
Oh, so you missed the soccer team?

This seems like a weird place to draw the line with parents.  Parents instill their values to their children all the time.  On matters of faith, morality, and yes, politics. 

My son is too young to have a conversation about this, but if he weren't you're damn right I'd talk to him about this election and what I think it means about this country's values.  I'd assure him that he is privileged enough that he probably needn't worry about the personal consequences to him, but that other's in vulnerable populations are not so privileged.  And that I believe that I owe those people my empathy and support.  I'd also tell him that it's natural to think of the President as someone who he should aspire to be like as a man.  And I'd try very hard to make him understand why that should not be the case.  Because if my son becomes the type of man that Donald Trump is and has been, I will have failed as a parent.  

Oh, so you missed the soccer team?
I did, I'd anticipate older kids would pick stuff up from all different areas - anything politics a 3 or 4 year old picks up is originating with a parent somewhere. 

My whole point is, I've seen the "how do I explain this to my kids, my kids are so upset" shtick everywhere in reference to very young children... That stuff makes me sick to my stomach.

I came so close to giving you a like here, but this is not just a normal win some/lose some. I personally want to give him a chance but my "grip" is slipping. Any hope that his campaign racism and misogyny was just bluster to get votes and free press is out the window. How can we expect those groups to trust him to be a good leader?  Elevating Bannon beyond dangerous web nut aside, these guys can't even get their #### together to put together a transition team.  It's bleak folks.  
I am a glass half full kinda guy.....I am willing to give it a shot here.

We don't have a choice right now. Gotta wait 4 more years. That's how it works. That's my main point. 

This seems like a weird place to draw the line with parents.  Parents instill their values to their children all the time.  On matters of faith, morality, and yes, politics. 

My son is too young to have a conversation about this, but if he weren't you're damn right I'd talk to him about this election and what I think it means about this country's values.  I'd assure him that he is privileged enough that he probably needn't worry about the personal consequences to him, but that other's in vulnerable populations are not so privileged.  And that I believe that I owe those people my empathy and support.  I'd also tell him that it's natural to think of the President as someone who he should aspire to be like as a man.  And I'd try very hard to make him understand why that should not be the case.  Because if my son becomes the type of man that Donald Trump is and has been, I will have failed as a parent.  
Inspire him with the story of AFC Wimbledon.

Trump HAS said he would single people out because of their religion, he HAS said he'd create a deportation force and build the wall.
I know you are hurting, and although I think your fears are way overblown, I have empathy for you wanting to protect your family.

However, I don't see how wanting tighter immigration policy against potential terrorists and illegal immigrants makes someone racist.  Clearly you can vehemently disagree with those policies, but the knee jerk reaction to immediately dismiss and label everyone who voted for Trump a racist is just wrong.  It's not just you Koya, many people in this thread are hiding behind that superficial assessment of the other side's political viewpoint.

DW mentioned that people on the right could be more magnanimous in victory and I agree.  But people on the left could also be more reflective about why the results occurred and discuss the nuances of why someone might have voted the way they did.  All of the best political discussions I have ever had in my life were with open-minded people with whom I disagreed.  But if one side is starting the discussion with such a strong opinion about the other side, no reasonable discussions can occur.

I know the message board forum makes it difficult for reasonable discussions because mud-slingers and trolls from both sides show up and drag everyone down.  It's one of the reasons I very, very rarely post anything in a political thread.  

Anyway, good luck - but I don't think you'll need it based on these policies. 

So bigly he got roughly as many votes as Romney and McCain did.

I never said he and I won't be friends.

But, to know what I now know does mean it will never be the same.  And if he does not repudiate Trump and Bannon, it likely will be further divided.

I'm going to have mixed-race children. Can people not understand what this election has done to those who don't look like most of the folks on this middle aged, generally white, board?  Perhaps shame on me for not realizing the true extent of the racism out there, and that's probably something I need to reflect on myself, but certain things can't be unseen. We all learn new things about people all the time, and that reflects in our interactions and relationships.  

Right now, in the still immediate aftermath of what this election represented, I've learned something that can't be ignored, if not for me, then the wellbeing of my family.  That's on me. Just as voting for and actively supporting the alt-right Trumptastic campaign is on him - and he is WELL within his rights to do all of it.  As am I in my reaction, especially as it pertains to my family and how they can / will be affected by people voting for someone so closely aligned with strong white-nationalist groups.  I mean, I can't believe some folks can't understand my personal sadness/dilemma here.  Don't have to even agree, but yeesh, we are not talking about just Politics or a candidate.  

This is Trump, the last 18 months of hate infused rallies with Trump throwing red meat to the wolves and the formalization of it all with Bannon being announced. Everyone is free to support whomever they want. But you need to own it, especially if you are vocal about your support.  You support the above, go ahead - just own it and accept responsibility for it. 
I've never thought twice about mixed race kids. And I think you're exaggerating the impact this election will have on anyone's feelings about it. I personally don't think anyone gives a hoot. I really don't.

Yeah, but you might very well have stuff going on when they are six or seven, depending on the values of the other parents (or possibly the school)
My son will be 7 for the next election, I'll prob still try to keep him sheltered from it - not the concept of democracy and the election, but the underlying tone of the candidates and the platforms they stand on.

Exactly. People pissing and moaning about this are the ones to blame. You keep electing the same worthless turds over and over again. You paraded out the biggest turd ever and we rejected her. We had enough.

Users who are viewing this thread