What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NFL Coach Hot Seat 2016 (1 Viewer)

WheelsUp

Footballguy
Who gets the boot this year on Black Monday? Week 11, I think its safe to discuss now. It may be very bloody.

McCarthy - if they miss playoffs, even if they lose in first round.
McCoy
Fisher
Bradley
Pagano - if they miss playoffs
Lewis
Ryan
Fox
Gruden - if they miss playoffs
Caldwell - If they miss playoffs

Who gets the boot this year on Black Monday? Week 11, I think its safe to discuss now. It may be very bloody.

McCoy
Fisher
Bradley
Lewis
Ryan
Fox
I personally see Fox's job as safe since they have so many injuries, and it's only year 2 in a massive rebuilding process.  He could choose to walk away after the season is over.  Next year, he will be on the hot seat, even more after he refuses to play his rookie QB.

No Sean Payton? I have to think his seat is getting warm at least.

I see Bradley and Fischer as the only 2 that would be ready for Week 11. The rest are definite maybes but not until the offseason.
I agree that Fox is likely going to stay. I would imagine 2 more years before they abandon him. I'm not even sure Belichick could do better with that team

McCarthy needs to go, but I don't think he does just because Thompson is stubborn.

McCoy
Fisher
Bradley
Lewis
Ryan
Fox
You forgot bowles and the 3 win jets, but I think he will survive...

i think mcarthy, mccoy, bradley are goners

odd that the rumors Fisher already had an extension back in September hasn't come to be. GM Snead is on the same bus. I always assumed both would be fired once they got to LA, but that doesn't seem to be the case either. With Goff getting his first start this week, it's possible his performance will dictate whether Fisher and Snead will stick around beyond this year.

No Sean Payton? I have to think his seat is getting warm at least.

I see Bradley and Fischer as the only 2 that would be ready for Week 11. The rest are definite maybes but not until the offseason.
I agree that Fox is likely going to stay. I would imagine 2 more years before they abandon him. I'm not even sure Belichick could do better with that team

McCarthy needs to go, but I don't think he does just because Thompson is stubborn.
Sean Payton was given a $45 million extension this past offseason so I'd have to think he's pretty secure.

Sean Payton was given a $45 million extension this past offseason so I'd have to think he's pretty secure.
Since when do contracts mean anything in the NFL? 

McCarthy was given a contract extension just a year before Payton got his. Both have been coaching for the same amount of time for their respective teams

McCarthy's contract's terms were not disclosed, but I see it is making about 6 million (Only 2 million less than Payton). 10th highest paid coach in the league to Payton's 1 (if anything that even further highlights Payton's failure)

But for some reason McCarthy is on the hot seat and Payton is not? 

Last edited by a moderator:
You forgot bowles and the 3 win jets, but I think he will survive...
Bowles is in his second year and nearly made the playoffs in the first.  The QB situation was a complete nightmare through no fault of his own (to my knowledge).  What makes you see him on the hot seat?

Before the season started i believe Rex Ryan and the GM were given ultimatums about getting into the playoffs or losing their jobs. Seems like a long shot for the Bills to make the playoffs at this point. So no playoffs and the coaching carousel will continue its infinite spin in buffalo. 

Yeah, but Bills fans said it would be different this time. I read it in the Bills thread when Ryan was hired.

I think Gruden and Caldwell are safe, playoffs or not, unless either team totally collapses.  Both teams have gotten better under them.

McCarthy needs to go in GB.

Fisher should be long gone, but the Rams don't care about winning.

Tomlin should be on the hot seat, but I'd be shocked to see Rooney ever fire a black head coach. 

McCoy, Pagano and Bradley are all likely on their way out. 

i would be ok with Lewis getting the boot, but he very likely will not (have always been intrigued by the idea of him having a front office position .... :imisszimmer: ). 

This is a strange year. You have so many entrenched coaches like Payton, Lewis and Mccarthy that might be shown the door. Two of those are SB winners. Fairly few, except Bradley, young coaches that are obviously going to see the ax. Bad retreads like Fox or new coaches like Bowles and Gase probably get another year. I'd like to think Pagano and Payton are on the hotseat but they just received, unbelievably, 4 and 5 year (respectively) extensions coming into this year.

Mccoy and Bradley are gone. Fisher should be but somehow might stick around. Anyone else beyond that is hard to predict. 

Long Ball Larry said:
Bowles is in his second year and nearly made the playoffs in the first.  The QB situation was a complete nightmare through no fault of his own (to my knowledge).  What makes you see him on the hot seat?
Hes regressed badly, the team looks unprepared, doesnt adjust during games, and his lack of aggressiveness is alarming

When I made this list I thought obvious things like Payton signing a 45 millions dollar deal and Gase being a first year coach were pretty much given they would stay.
While it never is, why would the Dolphins fire a guy everyone wanted after a, as of now, decent year? Sorry if I am not understanding these suggestions for firing.

Is McCarthy still calling the plays in Green Bay? If so they could force an new Offensive Coordinator on him, the show him the door next season if that doesn't work.

Sean Payton is virtually a hammer lock remain head coach over the next few years so long as he doesn't turn in a 2-14 season or something like that.

His recent extension is one reason for that. But the bigger issue is that Saints owner Tom Benson is in a questionable state of health and soundness of mind. Benson apparently considers Payton untouchable -- and even as some believe Benson is declining mentally, no one else in the organization really has the power to straight up fire Payton. There's kind of a void in the team's football-operations leadership above the GM level.

Speaking of the GM ... it's not clear to me that GM Mickey Loomis really outranks Payton in the football operation. It's not a typical front-office/head coach relationship. There is a team president, Dennis Lauscha, that on paper outranks both Loomis and Payton. But Lauscha really only deals with the business side of the Saints, and is almost totally hands-off of the football operation.

Steelers firing Tomlin? I thought about it, but how likely? Is the rift between him and Ben or Haley and Ben? Rooneys wont do him like that will they?
I dont have the answers for certain, but my best guess is no.

As far as Benson and the Saints, that is due to his own making really. The exile of his family because of his wife, who rumors say is not a kind lady.

Steelers firing Tomlin? I thought about it, but how likely? Is the rift between him and Ben or Haley and Ben? Rooneys wont do him like that will they?
I dont have the answers for certain, but my best guess is no.

Tomlin would be one of the most surprising fires to me.  I don't have any idea what that is based on specifically, but the Steelers love them some continuity and the guy has been in the playoffs the past 2 years and never under .50 (just 2 8-8 seasons as the worst).  No way do I think that organization would do that.

Fisher playing Goff likely mean he is safe the rest of the season.

Mularkey ought to be on there but he is unfortunately having his team overperform for him right now.

Bradley is likely gone. 

If the Colts lose Sunday (which seems unlikely) the temperature ratchets up under Pagano

Fox and Kelly are just putting out putrid products right now.

Rex may have another year in him, not sure the Pegulas want to swing the axe just yet.

Todd Bowles (NYJ)

Chuck Pagano (IND)

Mike McCarthy (GB)

John Fox (CHI)

Chip Kelly (SF)

Jeff Fisher (STL)

IMO those are the top 6 candidates. Bowles got lucky with an easy schedule last year. He's a defensive minded guy and that defense hasn't looked good. Not to get too off topic, but it seems so many times the offensive/defensive mindedness is over-rated. Look at Dan Quinn or Jack Del Rio. Defensive guys who are winning because of their offense. They need to look beyond a coaches niche to find the HC qualities they desire, rather than expecting a HC to fix a side of the ball. 

Anyway, Pagano and Grigson need to go. My god their GM is awful. How do you consistently not put talent on that team? It's such a weak division and they just can't take advantage despite having one of the best young QBs to come out of a draft class since Peyton. 

McCarthy is just disappointing. Their offense hasn't produced since Joe Philbin left. McCarthy gave away playcalling then took it back. When they finally get something going, like using Ty Montgomery out of the backfield in the short passing game, they decide to go away from it. They're a West Coast offense that is consistently trying to throw it deep. Rodgers will have 5+ seconds sometimes and can't find anybody open. That should never happen.

The Bears are a dumpster fire. They're rebuilding, but that team just doesn't look good. It's his 3rd HC job, which is rare, and this may be his last.

Chip is in year 1, and they're also rebuilding, but how can you not be upset with the results so far? The Eagles looked good for a couple of years and then turned to crap. Now SF is seeing the same thing Philly did in their last year. There is nothing good about Chip Kelly as an NFC HC.

Fisher is the definition of mediocrity. Somehow he is able to keep his job despite this. I don't quite understand what the team sees from him. Perhaps he's a real charmer behind the scenes. But at some point you have to look at the product he puts on the field and not be happy with it. They're in a bigger market now. How long will they accept mediocrity before the fans start calling for his head?

Gus Bradley. You talk about patience. How is this guy not fired? Maybe because the alternative is Doug Marrone at HC, who would punt on 1st down if he could get away with it.

Rex may have another year in him, not sure the Pegulas want to swing the axe just yet.
He's staying. For better or worse, they love him, the team just had a strong performance on MNF against the Seahawks. They're without Sammy, Woods was injured, McCoy was dinged for a couple weeks, they lost Ragland and Sammy, Dareus has played 1 game. If nothing else, injuries will save him. The Pegulas would prefer continuity. At this point, it may be more damaging to switch coaches. They transitioned (again) from a 4-3 to a 3-4. They did this many times during their continuous rebuilding process over the years. After Rex couldn't win with the defense he inherited, he now forced his scheme and the team is doing much worse defensively (surprise). The pass rush is back but the coverage is severely lacking, due to being on islands all game. That's not going to matter unless they end up with a top 5 type of CB, and that sure as hell isn't Stephon Gilmore despite wanting that kind of money.

Rex will get another year. And I'm not a Rex supporter. I wanted Jim Schwartz to get promoted and keep that defense the way it was. I don't know who the big names will be this off-season, but if the team is going to fire Rex, they need to get McDaniels or bust.

As of Week 14, here are the coaches I would fire if I were the owner:

AFC:

Rex Ryan (BUF) - Fired 12/27/2016

Todd Bowles (NYJ)

Marvin Lewis (CIN)

Chuck Pagano (IND)

Gus Bradley (JAX) - Fired 12/18/2016

Mike McCoy (SD) - Fired 01/01/2017

NFC:

John Fox (CHI)

Sean Payton (NO)

Jeff Fisher (STL) - Fired 12/12/2016

Chip Kelly (SF) - Fired 01/01/2017

Gus Bradley is 14-47 over his nearly 4 years as the head coach of the Jaguars.

14 ####### wins in 4 ####### years.

I have no idea how he still is employed.

Gus Bradley is 14-47 over his nearly 4 years as the head coach of the Jaguars.

14 ####### wins in 4 ####### years.

I have no idea how he still is employed.
Lots of high first and 2nd round picks on that team and lots of high priced FAs. Seems like a bad coach and a solid opportunity for a better coach. I remember all the Jax will be a playofff contender this year. Seeing as how the division leader is 7-6, Bradley really did #### the bed this year.

He probably won't be fired, but, as an owner, I would have serious misgivings about Mike Zimmer at the moment.  A player mutiny is nothing to sneeze at.

Braktastic said:
He probably won't be fired, but, as an owner, I would have serious misgivings about Mike Zimmer at the moment.  A player mutiny is nothing to sneeze at.
Totally. It's a young team but still. 

Users who are viewing this thread