What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Turkey Talk - And Sides - And Beverages (1 Viewer)

eoMMan

Footballguy
Does your family get a particular kind of turkey every year (frozen Butterball, fresh one from Whole Foods, regular frozen one from grocery store, etc)?

What sides do you plan on having this year?

What dranks?

In years past I think we've generally gone frozen butterball but sometimes will get some other brand on sale

Last year I wanted to brine so got a fresh turkey from the grocery store (still bagged but not frozen)...going that route this year

Mashed w gravy 

Stuffing (no bull#### additions like sausage or apples) 

Sweet potato casserole (wife makes with mashed sweets and then brown sugars and pecans on top) 

Green beans

Probably corn

Maybe Brussels sprouts

Rolls 

Canned cranberry sauce 

Have some various barrel aged beers and maybe some Bourbon later that night

Probably having this one with dinner 

http://www.thebruery.com/beer/autumn-maple/

Last edited by a moderator:
Being married to a culinary school graduate has its benefits.

Willie Bird Turkey

Caramelized Leek soup

Cranberry Sausage Stuffing

Artichoke Bacon Tart

Brussel Sprouts with Bacon

Cornbread

Za'atar seasoned Biscuits

Radicchio Salad with eggs, Manchego, Bacon, and Dijon Vinaigrette

Cereal Milk ice cream

Deep Dish apple pie

Willie Bird Turkey

Caramelized Leek soup

Artichoke Bacon Tart

Cornbread

Cereal Milk ice cream

Deep Dish apple pie
Why would you piss all over tradition like that

Willie Bird Turkey

Caramelized Leek soup

Artichoke Bacon Tart

Cornbread

Cereal Milk ice cream

Deep Dish apple pie
What is this about? This sounds phenomenal 

What is this about? This sounds phenomenal 
It's exactly what it sounds like.  Ice cream made out of the leftover milk at the bottom of a bowl of cereal.  Pick a cereal, soak it in milk, strain the milk and use that to make the ice cream.  We've tried many different cereals.  My favorite is Cap'n Crunch.   

It's exactly what it sounds like.  Ice cream made out of the leftover milk at the bottom of a bowl of cereal.  Pick a cereal, soak it in milk, strain the milk and use that to make the ice cream.  We've tried many different cereals.  My favorite is Cap'n Crunch.   
Now this intrigues me

This needs a separate thread. What is this even.....

Have you done Cinnamon Toast Crunch? 

You are a liberal but you can't seriously be wasting all that cereal that you drained the milk out of are you??? 

Have you done Cinnamon Toast Crunch? 

You are a liberal but you can't seriously be wasting all that cereal that you drained the milk out of are you??? 
It soaks for most of the day.  The cereal ends up a soggy mess.  

The whole thing is inspired by a somewhat trendy place in NY called Milk Bar.  They serve cereal milk soft serves and shakes.  

I typically do something semi-traditional but edited down.  I really don't like sweet sides, for instance, so I'd never do a sweet potato casserole.

Heritage turkey

Cranberry and wild rice stuffing

Sautéed green beans with shallots and mushrooms

Mashed potatoes (giblet gravy)

roasted root vegetables (carrots, turnips, sweet potatoes, butternut squash)

Mulled wine cranberry sauce

I'm too lazy to make a pie, so apple crisp for desert.

Wine is typically an Alsatian white like Gewurtztraminer.

Last year I wanted to brine so got a fresh turkey from the grocery store (still bagged but not frozen)...going that route this year

Sweet potato casserole (wife makes with mashed sweets and then brown sugars and pecans on top) 
Same on both of the above.  Took some looking, as even the "fresh" birds at the megamarts were pre-brined/injected.  Gonna spatchcock that bad boy, may or may not attempt to smoke it.

Also in our plans:

Homemade cranberry salsa

Slaw recipe from Cooks Illustrated

Some kind of dressing made with veggies roasted under the bird.

Up your cranberry sauce game... don't mess with that gelatinous canned crap. 

Total Time: 20 mins including prep
Uses only one saucepan

• 24 oz. fresh cranberries
• 1 cup Pure maple syrup (The real stuff, not Mrs. Butterworths)
• 1 cup (packed) golden brown sugar
• 1/4 cup orange marmalade
• 1/4 cup almonds (slivers or slices)
• ½ cup water

1) In a large saucepan, combine cranberries, maple syrup, brown sugar, water, and marmalade. Stir well.
2) Set the saucepan over medium-high heat and bring the cranberry mixture to a boil.
3) Add almonds, Reduce the heat to medium and simmer for 12-15 minutes, or until the cranberries pop, stirring frequently.
4) Transfer to a bowl and cool completely.

Fresh 14-16# turkey cooked in an oil less 'fryer'
Red skin mashed potatoes, brown gravy
Pepperidge farm stuffing mix (the blue bag)
Sweet Potatoes (not sure the recipe yet, but none of that nasty marshmallow topped canned stuff)
Alton Brown's cranberry sauce
Bacon-wrapped green beans
Waldorf salad
Rolls

Pumpkin pie (Alton Brown's recipe also)
Unknown other desserts

White Merlot w/ the dinner.  I'm not a big fan of the stuff but in-laws like it and the alcohol makes me tolerate them.

Uses only one saucepan

• ½ cup water

1) In a large saucepan, combine cranberries, maple syrup, brown sugar, water, and marmalade. Stir well.
2) Set the saucepan over medium-high heat and bring the cranberry mixture to a boil.
3) Add almonds, Reduce the heat to medium and simmer for 12-15 minutes, or until the cranberries pop, stirring frequently.
Totally agree w/ the sentiment, but I use Alton Browns recipe.  Four ingredients, cranberries, honey, cranberry juice (real 100% cran juice), Fresh OJ.

Totally agree w/ the sentiment, but I use Alton Browns recipe.  Four ingredients, cranberries, honey, cranberry juice (real 100% cran juice), Fresh OJ.
Alton brown is great for sure. Huge fan. I prefer the smokier sweetness from the maple/brown sugar, but honey works great as well. The Marmalade and Almonds are my own addition.. I like the thickness and texture (rind slivers) the marmalade provides and the little bit of crunch from the almonds. 

Either way, there is no excuse for eating canned gelatinous cranberry sauce. 

My MIL's standard menu which is the greatest meal on planet earth:

Oven roasted turkey

Homemade stuffing

Corn casserole (sweet cornbread with corn and cream cheese and butter)

Green bean casserole (french cut beans with butter, bacon and brown sugar)

Sweet potato casserole (pureed with brown sugar topping)

Twice baked potatoes

Virginia buns (homemade biscuits dipped in butter and then coated with cinnamon and sugar)

She makes enough to eat on for 3 days.  My goodness I'm starting to salivate.

My wife picked me up a tofurky this weekend (I'm a vegetarian).  First time I've had a thanksgiving tofurky.  I've had the deli meat tofurky, which is pretty good, but never the one they sell specifically for thanksgiving, which has stuffing in it. 

Going to my mother's with my wife for thanksgiving, and my mother makes this cheesy potato thing that's ridiculous.  Probably most excited about that.

Uses only one saucepan

• ½ cup water

This sounds delicious, and I'm sure it is, but I was raised on the canned stuff. The kind that retains the shape of the can and you can slice it.

Only ever had it once a yr ...every Thanksgiving. It was tradition in our house, and still is in mine.

I'll probably try your recipe one of these days, and thank you for it, but I gotta have canned on Thanksgiving :)

In years past I think we've generally gone frozen butterball but sometimes will get some other brand on sale

Mashed w gravy 

Stuffing (no bull#### additions like sausage or apples) 

Green beans

Probably corn

Maybe Brussels sprouts

Rolls 

Canned cranberry sauce 

Have some various barrel aged beers and maybe some Bourbon later that night

Probably having this one with dinner 

http://www.thebruery.com/beer/autumn-maple/

Really close to our traditional.  Make extra stuffing (side one with breakfast sausage in it though).  Extra gravy. 

Make a raspberry jello deal with whipped topping instead of the canned sauce.  Try the green bean bundles instead of your standard green beans - may be the 1st thing to go besides the stuffing/gravy.

Wife made this pumpkin roll with maple cream cheese for dessert last year - big hit.

Uses only one saucepan

• ½ cup water

This has just become a must do - thinking about replacing the water with bourbon, but otherwise a must do

I'm not a great cook but I've perfected two sides and a dessert for Thanksgiving. 

I make a killer sausage cornbread dressing and a broccoli casserole. For dessert, I make an apple pie I will put up against anyone.

Anything to dress up frozen corn?  I want to have corn and keep it simple but I'll dress it up if anyone has a really good preparation they like. 

i do most of the cooking for me and wife.  

italian style meats and cheeses to eat all day

ratatouille

sweet potato mousse

noodle kugel 

fresh cranberry sauce using cointreau

sourdough stuffing with spicy sausage and apples

turkey infused with spanish olives, adobo and sazon, cooked in a reynolds turkey bag

mondel bread dessert

ratatouille

sweet potato mousse

noodle kugel 

turkey infused with spanish olives, adobo and sazon, cooked in a reynolds turkey bag

mondel bread dessert
Now we're talking.  Love this menu

[SIZE=30.666666666666664px]Cranberry Salsa[/SIZE]

[SIZE=13.333333333333332px]1 C  [/SIZE][SIZE=13.333333333333332px] [/SIZE][SIZE=13.333333333333332px]water[/SIZE]

[SIZE=13.333333333333332px]1 C  [/SIZE][SIZE=13.333333333333332px] [/SIZE][SIZE=13.333333333333332px]sugar[/SIZE]

[SIZE=13.333333333333332px]1 bag  [/SIZE][SIZE=13.333333333333332px] [/SIZE][SIZE=13.333333333333332px]fresh cranberries (12 oz)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=13.333333333333332px]2 T[/SIZE][SIZE=13.333333333333332px] [/SIZE][SIZE=13.333333333333332px]chopped jalapeno peppers ([/SIZE]

[SIZE=13.333333333333332px]1 T[/SIZE][SIZE=13.333333333333332px] [/SIZE][SIZE=13.333333333333332px]fresh cilantro [/SIZE]

[SIZE=13.333333333333332px]¼ t[/SIZE][SIZE=13.333333333333332px] [/SIZE][SIZE=13.333333333333332px]cumin[/SIZE]

[SIZE=13.333333333333332px]1 green onion (white and green parts), chopped[/SIZE]

[SIZE=13.333333333333332px]1t[/SIZE][SIZE=13.333333333333332px] [/SIZE][SIZE=13.333333333333332px]lime juice[/SIZE]

[SIZE=13.333333333333332px]Combine water and sugar in a medium saucepan.  Bring to a boil over medium heat.  Add cranberries; return to boil.  Gently boil cranberries 10 minutes without stirring.  Pour into a medium-size glass mixing bowl.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=13.333333333333332px]Gently stir in remaining ingredients.  Place a piece of plastic wrap directly on salsa.  Cool at room temperature, then refrigerate.[/SIZE]

ratatouille

sweet potato mousse

noodle kugel 

mondel bread dessert
that feeling when you consider yourself a pretty solid, non-traditional home cook and you read a Thanksgiving menu like this and @Scoresman.

:unsure:

[SIZE=30.666666666666664px]Cranberry Salsa[/SIZE]

[SIZE=13.333333333333332px]1 C  [/SIZE][SIZE=13.333333333333332px] [/SIZE][SIZE=13.333333333333332px]water[/SIZE]

[SIZE=13.333333333333332px]1 C  [/SIZE][SIZE=13.333333333333332px] [/SIZE][SIZE=13.333333333333332px]sugar[/SIZE]

[SIZE=13.333333333333332px]1 bag  [/SIZE][SIZE=13.333333333333332px] [/SIZE][SIZE=13.333333333333332px]fresh cranberries (12 oz)[/SIZE]

[SIZE=13.333333333333332px]2 T[/SIZE][SIZE=13.333333333333332px] [/SIZE][SIZE=13.333333333333332px]chopped jalapeno peppers ([/SIZE]

[SIZE=13.333333333333332px]1 T[/SIZE][SIZE=13.333333333333332px] [/SIZE][SIZE=13.333333333333332px]fresh cilantro [/SIZE]

[SIZE=13.333333333333332px]¼ t[/SIZE][SIZE=13.333333333333332px] [/SIZE][SIZE=13.333333333333332px]cumin[/SIZE]

[SIZE=13.333333333333332px]1 green onion (white and green parts), chopped[/SIZE]

[SIZE=13.333333333333332px]1t[/SIZE][SIZE=13.333333333333332px] [/SIZE][SIZE=13.333333333333332px]lime juice[/SIZE]

[SIZE=13.333333333333332px]Combine water and sugar in a medium saucepan.  Bring to a boil over medium heat.  Add cranberries; return to boil.  Gently boil cranberries 10 minutes without stirring.  Pour into a medium-size glass mixing bowl.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=13.333333333333332px]Gently stir in remaining ingredients.  Place a piece of plastic wrap directly on salsa.  Cool at room temperature, then refrigerate.[/SIZE]
Tell me this is as good as it looks on paper...

Just 3 of us. Not big on the turkey dinner thing. Having a late breakfast,

Scrambled eggs, bacon, pancakes, french toast, strawberries.

G&T's while watching the games. Probably Sipsmith (green) or The Botanist. If snacking on something strongly flavored, like chips & salsa, then Monkey 47.

Same here, first-timer, have always done wet. Cooking mine on the BGE.

When are you salting your bird? I was hoping to get mine done last night but wasn't able to pick up the turkey until this afternoon. 36 hours should get it done though. 
I am doing it tonight.

By the way I have a Kamado Joe and would love to cook the bird on it but my wife is a traditionalist and insists on the oven.

I am doing it tonight.

By the way I have a Kamado Joe and would love to cook the bird on it but my wife is a traditionalist and insists on the oven.
I'm serving 24 people, two birds, one in oven one on BGE. You should get a bone-in breast or two and throw those on the smoker for kicks. 

Our house is pretty traditional. my step mom makes her own stuffing that has some sausage in it, so we have 2 kinds.

I make a pretty kick ### baked Mac and cheese that always gets great reviews . 

Thanksgiving is probably my favorite holiday

Users who are viewing this thread