What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Fifteen Days/Songs of Christmas Music Mixtape Draft - Links to final mixes in post #1 (1 Viewer)

Mix requirements

Core versions of most covered 25 songs randomly selected from fivethirtyeight.com's list of the 25 most covered songs
(2) picks from the following traditional carols:  Away in a Manger, Silent Night, God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen, Jingle Bells
(2) picks from the following pop standards:  White Christmas, Rudolph, the Red-Nosed Reindeer, Santa Claus Is Coming To Town

Other songs from the traditional and standards category (excluding the 6 7 mandatory songs)
(1) traditional/religious carols (written before 1900)
(1) pop standards (written between 1900 and 1963)

(3) Rock-era originals (written in 1964 or later)

Miscellaneous categories (relatively open to your interpretation except the 6 7 mandatory songs are verboten except for Jzilla's Jingle Bells)

(1) Instrumental - any song, any era

(2) Wild card songs - any song, any era and including Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, Winter, December, New Year's etc.

(1) Sad/depressing/wistful/anti Christmas song

(1) Child's Christmas - A song by, for or about kids.

(1) Novelty song - JZilla's pick of the Barking Dogs version of "Jingle Bells" is grandfathered in.

Last edited by a moderator:
Updated the OP with some clarifications and opened up the non-mandatory carols and standards category a bit.

The randomly selected mandatory songs are just an idea to create scarcity in a draft with limited options for that.  I like the common songs more than the random aspect so If "Away in a Manger" gets selected and everybody hates that song, we can re-roll and swap it for something else. 

Sign up or suggest rule changes here.  I'd really like to limit it to 15 songs though.  I could go either way on limiting number of songs per artist but I doubt that will be a huge issue in this format.
One band dominates the competition with their yearly Christmas singles anyway...

I'm thinking of reducing the mandatory traditional carols to pick 2 out of 3 (especially if something lame like "We Wish You a Merry Xmas" comes up) so if somebody has an idea for another category, leave it under the tree.

Sad/Depressing Christmas songs would be one that would have lots to offer but would maybe be a bit of a bummer. 

Non-Christmas, winter holiday songs?

The FiveThirtyEight lists are short on Santa specific songs, that could possibly be it's own category.

The FiveThirtyEight lists are short on Santa specific songs, that could possibly be it's own category.
"Santa songs" is a good category. It also makes me think of having a category for "Songs from a televised Christmas special".

Plenty of Santa songs there, of course ... and many other classics, too. It would have to be the actual songs performed during the special -- not another version of the same song by an artist who didn't perform the TV version.

Sad/Depressing Christmas songs would be one that would have lots to offer but would maybe be a bit of a bummer. 

Non-Christmas, winter holiday songs?

Hmm, sad/depressing songs is promising.  There are a lot of good songs on the wistful side.

Other winter holiday songs are included in the wild card picks.  I don't know if there's enough depth there for a standalone category.  There's "Auld Lang Syne" and then what?  We used to celebrate Kwanzaa when the kids were little and can tell you there are no good songs for it.

RE:  Santa.  Maybe we should finalize the remaining categories after the mandatory songs get drawn.

"Santa songs" is a good category. It also makes me think of having a category for "Songs from a televised Christmas special".

Plenty of Santa songs there, of course ... and many other classics, too. It would have to be the actual songs performed during the special -- not another version of the same song by an artist who didn't perform the TV version.
No clue if the TV category is deep enough.  Although that's probably not a problem w/ the current number drafters.  But I've hung my stocking with care.

I don't think the songs from TV specials category will work for a mixtape draft.  Soundtracks of the perennial Xmas specials are more miss than hit on Spotify.

How about "A Child's Christmas" - a song performed by, targeted at, from the perspective of, or about a child?

This should pretty much cover all the Santa and TV special songs.

ETA: ...except the sad depressing ones.

Havent been on FBG since July but would be in for a comeback just for this.

Xmas music?, That's just my game.  Sign me up (I'm AFK Nov. 29th, 30th and Dec 1st)

Santa's Little Helpers

eephus
Doug B
Ramsay Hunt Exp.
Kumerica
NV
JZilla
ilove80s
John Bender

Elves on the Shelf

Mister CIA
eoMMan
Bogart
El Floppo

How about "A Child's Christmas" - a song performed by, targeted at, from the perspective of, or about a child?

This should pretty much cover all the Santa and TV special songs.
:thumbup:   Strong suggestion ... and you're right that a lot of TV special songs fit right into "A Child's Christmas" category.

OP updated to include Sad/depressing and Child's songs.

I moved the pop standard/rock era cut line back a year to 1963.  "Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)" is on the pop standard side with "Little Saint Nick" on the rock era side.

Mandatory songs have been dialed back to a core of 2 out of 3 randomly selected songs from the pre-1900 and 1900-1963 eras.  I'll roll for these this week.

We still could use one more category to reduce the number of rock era originals from 3 to 2.

I'm going to roll for the mandatory songs later today.

I'm probably the only one who cares but I've decided to narrow the pool of traditional carols from the top 15 to the top 10, which means the following classics are out of the running as possible mandatory songs:

• It Came Upon the Midnight Clear
  • Ave Maria
  • O Come All Ye Faithful
  • We Wish You a Merry Christmas
  • What Child Is This?
They may still be drafted as non-mandatory traditional carols and/or wild cards.  I guess "What Child is This?" could also be chosen as a child's song :shrug:

Rolling for the three traditional carols.  The nominees are:

• Silent Night
  • Jingle Bells
  • The First Noel
  • Joy to the World
  • Away In a Manger
  • God Rest Ye, Merry Gentlemen
  • Hark, the Herald Angels Sing
  • O Holy Night
  • Deck the Halls
  • O Little Town of Bethlehem
I'm going to roll 10 d100 and assign them to the songs in the order above.  The two _lowest_ overall rolls plus the lowest of the three most popular songs (Silent Night, Jingle Bells, First Noel) will be our mandatory selections.

10d100, rolled 1 times.

Roll set 1
Die rolls: 14, 35, 100, 87, 2, 31, 97, 76, 91, 56
Roll subtotal: 589
Roll total: 589

2--Away In a Manger

14--Silent Night

31--God Rest Ye, Merry Gentlemen

------------------------------------------------------

35--Jingle Bells

56--O Little Town of Bethlehem

76--O Holy Night

87--Joy to the World

91--Deck the Halls

97--Hark, the Herald Angels Sing

100--The First Noel

So everybody's mix has to include a version of two of the following songs:  Away In a Manger, Silent Night or God Rest Ye, Merry Gentlemen.

Let nothing ye dismay

Rolling for the three pop standards carols.  The nominees are:
White Christmas
The Christmas Song
Winter Wonderland
Santa Claus Is Coming To Town
Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas
I’ll Be Home for Christmas
Rudolph, the Red-Nosed Reindeer
Silver Bells
Sleigh Ride
Blue Christmas

I'm again going to roll 10 d100 and assign them to the songs in the order above.  The two _lowest_ overall rolls plus the lowest of the three most popular songs (White Xmas, Christmas Song, Winter Wonderland) will be our mandatory selections.

2--White Christmas

2--Rudolph, the Red-Nosed Reindeer

7--Santa Claus Is Coming To Town

-----------------------------------------------

12--Blue Christmas

31--Silver Bells

47--Sleigh Ride

70--The Christmas Song

72--Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas

87--I’ll Be Home for Christmas

97--Winter Wonderland

You better be good for goodness sake

Three thoughts:

1) Sarah McLaughlin has a few songs that I would classify as "winter" or "seasonal" that are not overtly Christmas, but would be apt for this time of year.

2) Will these be on Spotify for download?

3) Thanks @Eephus

I was planning on starting Monday but can roll for draft order now if people want to get started.  I'm putting Bender on the turn because he said he'd be out next week. 

I hope most people will post mixes to Spotify (or YouTube) but it's not a requirement.

Sarah McLachlan's songs about winter are eligible for the wild card category unless it's her remake of the barking dogs singing "Jingle Bells".

Users who are viewing this thread