What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Anyone know anything about Pokemon cards? (1 Viewer)

I know nothing other than my 5-year old keeps somehow bringing them home from school and acting like they are made of gold.  

7yo just got into these... is there some site I can go to learn about how to play?  Also, is there some way to see what cards are better than others?  I want to make sure my kid doesn't get ripped off if he wants to trade with people.

7yo just got into these... is there some site I can go to learn about how to play?  Also, is there some way to see what cards are better than others?  I want to make sure my kid doesn't get ripped off if he wants to trade with people.
This is a good way to learn the basics: https://www.pokemon.com/us/pokemon-tcg/play-online/

If you're concerned about card value, check online, troll and toad is a good site to get a relative sense of the monetary value of the cards, which generally corresponds to how useful they are in the game. Most modern cards are equally worthless, however, so you should just let your kid do his thing and collect the cards he likes.

My kid is finished with his Pokemon phase; now we have boatloads of cards that surely will never be used again. It gets out of hand in a hurry.

This is a good way to learn the basics: https://www.pokemon.com/us/pokemon-tcg/play-online/

If you're concerned about card value, check online, troll and toad is a good site to get a relative sense of the monetary value of the cards, which generally corresponds to how useful they are in the game. Most modern cards are equally worthless, however, so you should just let your kid do his thing and collect the cards he likes.

My kid is finished with his Pokemon phase; now we have boatloads of cards that surely will never be used again. It gets out of hand in a hurry.
Thanks for the site advice.  I'm not so much concerned about monetary value as I am about older kids taking the "powerful" cards from his deck and leaving him crap.  I'll teach him how to use the troll and toad site and figure out relative value.

As a sports card collector, Pokemon cards were the best thing that ever happened to me years ago.  I managed to hook both my daughters on them when they were growing up. So every Saturday I would tell the wife “Well darn it, the daughter wants to go to the card shop and get a few packs” (and I would conveniently come back with a box of football or basketball cards :bag: )

They both never played the game, but they liked the whole collecting aspect of it. We have some pretty early series cards sets put together that have some decent book value. 

I'm looking at this being his gateway into Magic cards eventually.  I'd rather my kid spent his allowance on nerd games than using it to get into the stuff I did when I was a dumb kid.

Users who are viewing this thread