What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dakota Pipeline: Protesters Soaked With Water in Freezing Temperatures (1 Viewer)

Old story except it's not being covered at all. This a long the horror in Syria should be much more widely covered. If not for Twitter, I would barely even be aware of these things.

North Dakota's governor and congressional delegation are pressuring President Barack Obama to pave the way for completion of the disputed Dakota Access oil pipeline, protests over which they say are taxing law enforcement and are costing millions of dollars.

Republicans Gov. Jack Dalrymple, U.S. Sen. John Hoeven and U.S. Rep. Kevin Cramer implored the Democrat in a letter Wednesday to authorize the Army Corps of Engineers to approve the pipeline's crossing under a Missouri River reservoir in southern North Dakota.
http://www.mprnews.org/story/2016/11/23/north-dakota-leaders-urge-obama-for-pipeline-completion?gclid=Cj0KEQiAguXBBRCE_pbQ5reuq8MBEiQANji2LT38ImdtM8lv2GDZy5S30G747Yz0Abd0rYfkvr8rtp4aAoA78P8HAQ

Wonder why FOX news is not covering this story like the Cliven Bundy story.  Both standoffs right?
i wonder what the governments differences in tactics are in these cases.

armed standoff, back off.  unarmed standoff use force.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Haven't been following this story closely, but just saw this posted on Facebook from my cousin:

To those of you who think we should support the protests on the Dakota Pipeline and who still think that the news actually reports the whole truth in anything anymore, read this. This is my industry. The one thing he left out is that the Native Americans were paid a LOT of money in this deal, and the EPA has crazy strict rules about not just the safety of the pipes, but how the land has to look after they leave. Every rock, tree, path and blade of grass has to be put back exactly the way it was before they came through. People have lost their jobs, been assaulted and injured, and companies may go under because of the massive amount of misinformation being spread. http://www.9news.com/…/local-sheriff-shares-testi…/356294618

im not aware of the political detail involved with this issue.

but, i have dozens of friends, whom i respect, have expressed interest in joining the protestors in n.d.

i wonder what the governments differences in tactics are in these cases.

armed standoff, back off.  unarmed standoff use force.  
Eh. I'd say the biggest difference in my opinion is the Malheur Occupation didn't have a ton of immediate economic impacts. Add the fact that many got arrested and one was killed. 

One of the protesters had her arm blown off (likely by oil company security) during the protests.  Hardly mentioned anywhere...

MSM is doing a horse#### job covering this. 

inhumane

adjective

1. not humane; lacking humanity, kindness, compassion, etc.

Haven't been following this story closely, but just saw this posted on Facebook from my cousin:

To those of you who think we should support the protests on the Dakota Pipeline and who still think that the news actually reports the whole truth in anything anymore, read this. This is my industry. The one thing he left out is that the Native Americans were paid a LOT of money in this deal, and the EPA has crazy strict rules about not just the safety of the pipes, but how the land has to look after they leave. Every rock, tree, path and blade of grass has to be put back exactly the way it was before they came through. People have lost their jobs, been assaulted and injured, and companies may go under because of the massive amount of misinformation being spread. http://www.9news.com/…/local-sheriff-shares-testi…/356294618
So the Indians gave permission, and then took it back...interesting. 

So you're arguing the protesters have no case whatsoever? There's no legitimate argument on the other side?

So the Indians gave permission, and then took it back...interesting. 
Not exactly.  They were in talks to have the pipeline follow an existing pipeline that crosses the Standing Rock reservation.  The dollar amount got too high and DAPL decided to move the pipeline off the reservation since they got better deals from nearby ranchers.  The pipeline instead parallels a different existing pipeline that was laid in 1989.  

DAPL is already building a new water intake for the Standing Rock tribe that is over 70 miles away from where the pipeline crosses, something that was desperately needed pipeline or not.  In an effort to reach common ground with the tribe, DAPL has offered to also build water storage tanks on the reservation and provide multiple emergency vehicles, and on site(on the reservation) monitoring to the tribe for any potential ruptures.  They have rejected every attempt and have said they will stop protesting only once they get an oil shipping fee contract.  An oil shipping fee for a pipeline that doesn't cross their land.  

Part of the problem with this story is the lack of quality investigative journalism.  The protesters claim the oil company is damages sacred lands, and the oil company is saying the native people are looking for a money grab.  We don't seem to really know the truth.

The environmental protesters do have a point though.  Oil pipelines leak all the time.  This pipeline is going to run under the Missouri river.  How dangerous is this?  What happens if it ruptures in the river? 

Part of the problem with this story is the lack of quality investigative journalism.  The protesters claim the oil company is damages sacred lands, and the oil company is saying the native people are looking for a money grab.  We don't seem to really know the truth.

The environmental protesters do have a point though.  Oil pipelines leak all the time.  This pipeline is going to run under the Missouri river.  How dangerous is this?  What happens if it ruptures in the river? 
There are over two dozen oil or gas pipelines that cross the Missouri River in ND alone.  

And yes, pipelines do leak.  However, pipelines that cross rivers or lakes are required to be inside of casing to give a second layer of protection in case of a leak.  They are also required to have pressure monitoring and emergency valves on both sides of the river to easily stop flow and contain any leaks.  I know it's not foolproof or totally "safe", but neither is transporting oil and gas by rail or truck.  

And what is the safer alternative?  Truck, rail?  This is a map of the pipelines in the US.  You don't hear about them because they're reliable, low cost, and very safe.  Other modes of transport are significantly more dangerous.  

And what is the safer alternative?  Truck, rail?  This is a map of the pipelines in the US.  You don't hear about them because they're reliable, low cost, and very safe.  Other modes of transport are significantly more dangerous.  
I heard a lot about the gas pipelines in Alabama earlier this month

:goodposting:  I work in the oil industry. Yes pipelines leak. So do trucks, railcars, and underground storage tanks. 

Hmm, trust the oil companies or the tribes who have been ####ed over since white man landed on these shores. Hmmm...Yeah, I'm sure the oil company is telling the whole truth, just like the 'law enforcement' who is maiming unarmed protestors. 

Pipeline Spills Oil into Yellowstone River Again

the yellowstone river is a tributary to the missouri river which is a tributary to the mississippi river, the life of america.  this is not just 'sacred' indian land, but the blood of the north american continent.  we all are in this fight.

Pipeline Spills Oil into Yellowstone River Again

the yellowstone river is a tributary to the missouri river which is a tributary to the mississippi river, the life of america.  this is not just 'sacred' indian land, but the blood of the north american continent.  we all are in this fight.
Against what?  Oil?  I imagine most of us drive gas cars, buy food that's trucked to a local store, have homes built with materials trucked to location, buy imported items shipped from overseas, etc.  I don't have a problem with pipelines.    It's safer and more efficient than trains or more trucks.

well if you read it on facebook then it must be true.

so if he has been there and witnessed all of this, then why not release all of the footage that they should have to prove their story?
What, you're suggesting the local 'law enforcement' and gov't would cover up their illegal treatment of the protestors? That DAPL would ignore repeated requests by local agencies to stop building while this is going on? Hogwash...

so if he has been there and witnessed all of this, then why not release all of the footage that they should have to prove their story?
I dont know anything about the issue. Unlike others, when I dont know anything about something, I dont have an opinion. I was asking if you think he's lying? 

Like they put the bayou back just the way they found it? 

Talk about misinformation.

Your cousin is in the pipeline industry and he thinks the EPA governs pipeline safety?

Pipeline safety is regulated at the federal level by the Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration, which is part of the Department of Transportation.  To the extent EPA has a role, it's only through generically applicable environmental statutes like the clean water act or the clean air act that might mandate permits if the construction/operation of a particular pipeline requires it. Take it from someone in the industry ;)

Also, from your link, this:

Despite this project being very "federal" in nature and clearly in interstate commerce, the Obama administration has refused to provide any law enforcement or other support to North Dakota state and local law enforcement that has placed them in the position of having to enforce the rule of law. As usual, law enforcement is put between the rock and hard place due to various political agendas
Is a bunch of rambling nonsense. The project is not "federal in nature" by virtue of it being "in interstate commerce" at all.  The federal government does not have broad authority to permit oil pipelines, regardless of their interstate/intrastate nature.  Federal approvals are needed only because Army Corps authorization is needed to cross waterways.  There's no "rule of law" that federal authorities need to enforce here, and a law enforcement officer should familiarize himself with the law before ranting about it on facebook and having the local news pick up his rant. It's particularly interesting that this guy talked about how terrible it is that people politicize stuff after he wrongly went after the Obama administration while spreading misinformation about the law.

so you are there? If so, then please take pictures and video to show us. Why is this so hard to do?
Bad wording.  I'm not there.  I'm in Western ND, but nowhere near the camp site.  I have zero interest in going either.  But it seems like you doubt the stories of violence from the protesters, I suggest the easiest way to find that information out is to witness the truth or lies for yourself.

"Hey everyone look, I work for this industry and let me take a minute to tell you why we are the good guys"

Users who are viewing this thread