What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How much do you spend on your children at Christmas? (1 Viewer)

Too much. I think about one rack each. Although my kids get lucky because they get Hanukkah presents also. 

my kids are young, so probably a few hundred each. when they get older and into electronics it will skyrocket

The price is tough because it changes with age and items. I could buy my 16 year old 3 gifts and spend $1000. My ten year old could get 25 gifts for that price. As with most people, "too much" is probably accurate. 

I usually spend around $300-$400 on my 7 year old. Thinking two nice lego sets that he wants and a Nintendo 3DS plus a few games might run me more this year.

I usually spend around $300-$400 on my 7 year old. Thinking two nice lego sets that he wants and a Nintendo 3DS plus a few games might run me more this year.
If there is one year for the Shadys to be indulgent, make it this year. 

Son is 8 - I'm looking right now at 2 lego sets, a lightsaber builder kit, and a new skylander playset.  Also considering an XBox One and new bike.  Plus some camping gear for scouts.

I don't understand a single item on my 13 year old daughter's list.

Son is 8 - I'm looking right now at 2 lego sets, a lightsaber builder kit, and a new skylander playset.  Also considering an XBox One and new bike.  Plus some camping gear for scouts.

I don't understand a single item on my 13 year old daughter's list.
My son wants Lego Batman movie lego sets and they dont come out until January (he knows this). I dont understand why they dont release them for Christmas. Ill be getting him Rogue One sets instead.

I'll say hundreds between the 3 of them...probably between $500-$1000 total in years past.  Guessing under $500 this year because they really don't appreciate anything.  None of them really play with toys with the exception of the 3 year old. Not into Legos so it's basically Xbox or 3DS and tablet games. So maybe a few video games, board games, maybe some educational science kit type things

Around a rack apiece.  As others have mentioned, when they were younger, that would be spread over 15'ish things.  Now it's around 5 things maybe.  Plus a bunch of really small practical stuff. 

Probably around  a half rack a kid (x3) - all teenagers.

When they were younger there was one year it was a rack a kid and I said, self, that is a little overboard.............

Was always way way way too much.  A few years ago wife and I were sitting looking at the Christmas piles of stuff and realized that it's all just a waste.  Every summer we end up donating a ton of stuff to charities and without fail the presents from the previous Christmas that we thought they would love forever showed up in those donations.  So we've been doing something new since.

Each kid gets 3 gifts.  One "want" - can be anything.  One "need", which usually ends up being clothing of some kind but can be something else, and one "gift of faith," which is either something for them to use for church or last year was my oldest donating his "want" gift to a charity.  That's it.  3 each.  We still fill a stocking with little dollar store type stuff that they love to tinker with for a few days and a ton of candy and other treats but each stocking costs tops 20 bucks.

When the twins were little say 2 or 3 they had so many presents it was shameful.  grand patents, other relatives,  they couldn't even open them all on Christmas day.  wife gave  away at least half to Goodwill. now they are teens and everything is expensive but fewer presents.  around 1500 bucks each? 

We only have one daughter and we will spend about $750.  She will get spoiled by the aunts/uncles and grandparents.  She never plays with a lot of the stuff and it gets donated eventually.   

Well we were at around $300 (nintendo 3ds xl, pokemon sun, Luigi mansion, lego movie batman set, tsum tsum case) and thought we were done. Of course Amazon has a ton of lego sets for 30% off now. The set has been asking for for two years Ewok Village, normally $250, now $175. Ugh I couldn't pass up the deal.

Few hundy each. We kind of differentiate between luxury items(video games/toys) and neccessity items(clothes,books)  and only count the luxury item money into the cost we spend.  The boy(6) is getting a 3DS(trying to get in on that at 149.99 or under, will probably have to get it at 199.99), Pokemon Sun (33.00), Pokemon Moon (33.00), two LEGO Dimensons AdventureTime sets(10.00 each) and maybe something Minecraft(Lego), Pokemon or Disney(Stitch from Lilo and Stitch).  He'll get some clothes and books as well to "pad out the pile".  

The gir(9)....no freaking clue.   

Well we were at around $300 (nintendo 3ds xl, pokemon sun, Luigi mansion, lego movie batman set, tsum tsum case) and thought we were done. Of course Amazon has a ton of lego sets for 30% off now. The set has been asking for for two years Ewok Village, normally $250, now $175. Ugh I couldn't pass up the deal.
I think the LEGO Batman sets are awesome and can't wait to get some for myself.  The LEGO Batman Minifigure set looks great, but that doesn't come out until Feb. 

My son wants Lego Batman movie lego sets and they dont come out until January (he knows this). I dont understand why they dont release them for Christmas. Ill be getting him Rogue One sets instead.
Because they know kids have gift cards and cash burning a hole in their pocket, 

I'm a Scrooge. I spend $100 on each kid (3 of them).  Of course my parents buy them a ridiculous amount of crap. 

This year way more than I should...... she's getting a trip to Paris/London with a side trip to see where her Great-Grandfather stormed Normandy. 

3x kids.  We aim for $100 each, but tend to go over a bit.  Last year we dropped it to about $75 per kid and got a WiiU for the family.  That was the better investment. 

My middle son has a December birthday, so we give him the choice on in if he wants to "combine" the gifts for something better. 

No idea. Wife does all the shopping. But we no doubt spoil the kids at Christmas.

When I was a kid, Christmases were so great. Until I turned 9 when my parents divorced. My mom was working part time, doing the best she could, but I will never forget that first Christmas when my dad wasn't there.

Me and my brothers came out expecting the usual haul of gifts, and there was barely anything under the tree. We were crestfallen, as if we did something wrong. I remember even saying something like: "Is this all there is?" I am sure my mom was crushed. And to this day I wish I never uttered those words, but life changed that year.

And I still have one of those gifts. It's a silly little stuffed dog, and was one of maybe two gifts I got that year. I put that dog on my dresser to remind me of how life can change in ways you never imagined.

And when I had kids, I vowed to never let them feel that disappointment on Christmas morning. We don't spoil them during the year, but we do on Christmas.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have no clue how much. My wife does all that shopping and I don't look at the credit card bill until after or else I will Scrooge the hell out it.

I have no clue how much. My wife does all that shopping and I don't look at the credit card bill until after or else I will Scrooge the hell out it.
Same. If she goes over board just use the tax return to pay it off. If she doesn't then I have planned long weekends away in late Spring. I don't tell her this, but here's hoping she's gotten the hint by now. 

On Christmas?  How bout year round..it never ends and only gets more expensive as they get older.

My daughters are both graduated from college so now when we got out to dinner it is not like when they were younger now they drink fine wines and craft beers and finer and craftier when I am paying.  My older daughter is in med school and I took her out to eat last week and asked what she wanted for Christmas (On top of all the stuff my wife gets them) She tells me that she really needs a new laptop for school and then e-mails me the top of the line Microsoft loaded with every option for around 1500.00.

This year will probably be about $300 a kid for both our daughters (12-17), but the past years have probably been $750 or more--new Iphones or laptops tend to run that bill up.

Users who are viewing this thread