What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

So...I ####### MOVED to... Dallas? NOW ALSO THE ALL THINGS DALLAS THREAD. Review, ##### and compliment in here. (1 Viewer)

Koya

Footballguy
Since Rok's thread is Rok-centric, figured I'd give him his platform and start my own thread.

Long story short, after viewing Dallas as someplace I'd not want to spent more than a week, I've travelled there a few times in the past couple months. 

WOW - tremendous new growth, specifically some great walkable, urban and transit-rich neighborhoods.  

There's a good chance I may be moving there in Q1 next year to help build a development company that focuses on the creation of large scale, vibrant mixed-use communities.  He is based in Uptown, which is where I'd look to live.  What should I know folks... what am I getting into?

Last edited by a moderator:
Since Rok's thread is Rok-centric, figured I'd give him his platform and start my own thread.

Long story short, after viewing Dallas as someplace I'd not want to spent more than a week, I've travelled there a few times in the past couple months. 

WOW - tremendous new growth, specifically some great walkable, urban and transit-rich neighborhoods.  

There's a good chance I may be moving there in Q1 next year to help build a development company that focuses on the creation of large scale, vibrant mixed-use communities.  He is based in Uptown, which is where I'd look to live.  What should I know folks... what am I getting into?
lol I was kidding

Politically speaking...Texas doesnt seem like your kind of place. Good luck. 
Don't think you understand my politics, but we can save that for another thread. 

If anything, I'll be surrounded by people who are generally more Liberal than I. This is Dallas.  Plenty of room for a left leaning libertarian.

I wish I had the balls to relocate.  Just seems like such an impact on the kids.  
Nah they adapt and recover well.  I took my son kicking and screaming to Kuwait for 2.5 years.  We came back to the states in June.  He just got back from 2 weeks' vacation back there cuz he was 'homesick'

anyway, move to Dallas.  You'll have the Cowboys.

You may already know who this guy is but I found the article to be interesting:

http://www.dmagazine.com/publications/d-magazine/2015/march/patrick-kennedy-urban-planner-dallas/
I don't know him but I'm sure my business partner who is based in Dallas does. From that article:

HIS WAY OR THE HIGHWAY: If Patrick Kennedy succeeds, the road above him—I-345, which connects I-45 and Central Expressway—will no longer exist.

My business partner may be the reason that happens. His team was the force behind the planning for the CityMap initiative which recently was announced with 8 alternatives for that highway section, including two that considered knocking them down and rebuilding the neighbourhood fabric that was destroyed when the interstates bisected and dissected that community.  

As of three days ago, we were also announced as the winner for station area planning and development strategies for one of the local high speed rail stations. Whether the rail is built is yet to be seen although Texas - with San Antonio, Houston and Dallas - is as ideal a candidate as there is. Either way it's a huge get for a small firm. 

Im working to position them more into private sector development but aligned with the same approach that he's used as a development and urban Planning strategist.

FWIW, that same biz partner is close with Wick Allison, publisher of D magazine and Wick joined us at my Urban Land Council meetings as our guest since we were hosted by the developer of the D Magazine building in that building when I was there last month.  His firm was highlighted (Gateway Planning soon to be Gateway Planning & Development) in this article https://dfwrealestatereview.com/story/christine-perez/real-estate-revolution

Lol at transit rich. 
Do explain. I'll gladly counter. The area I am looking in is compact, walkable, bikeable and is served by local streetcar and light rail that then connects you to the region and heavy rail as well. :shrug:  

In fact my wife and I would likely ditch one of our cars if we move there, at least to start. 

There's a lot of Trump voters there. Are you sure you can associate yourself with them?
Do business with them everyday gb. One from a meeting this past week "won't go see Hamilton" now. 

Since he's such the Broadway musically inclined patron anyway. :coffee:

ETA:  Where I'd be living is probably more blue than the county I live in now and way more blue than Long Island as a whole. Suffolk county, where infamous mystery friend lives, voted more Trump than any similar large suburb in the nation I believe. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know him but I'm sure my business partner who is based in Dallas does. From that article:

HIS WAY OR THE HIGHWAY: If Patrick Kennedy succeeds, the road above him—I-345, which connects I-45 and Central Expressway—will no longer exist.

My business partner may be the reason that happens. His team was the force behind the planning for the CityMap initiative which recently was announced with 8 alternatives for that highway section, including two that considered knocking them down and rebuilding the neighbourhood fabric that was destroyed when the interstates bisected and dissected that community.  

As of three days ago, we were also announced as the winner for station area planning and development strategies for one of the local high speed rail stations. Whether the rail is built is yet to be seen although Texas - with San Antonio, Houston and Dallas - is as ideal a candidate as there is. Either way it's a huge get for a small firm. 

Im working to position them more into private sector development but aligned with the same approach that he's used as a development and urban Planning strategist.

FWIW, that same biz partner is close with Wick Allison, publisher of D magazine and Wick joined us at my Urban Land Council meetings as our guest since we were hosted by the developer of the D Magazine building in that building when I was there last month.  His firm was highlighted (Gateway Planning soon to be Gateway Planning & Development) in this article https://dfwrealestatereview.com/story/christine-perez/real-estate-revolution
Congrats!  :thumbup:

And the idea of getting rid of IH345 is an interesting one. A couple of months ago my GF and I got a room downtown and went to hang out in Deep Ellum. I walked through that area he describes and I had the same feelings. It's a waste.

Do explain. I'll gladly counter. The area I am looking in is compact, walkable, bikeable and is served by local streetcar and light rail that then connects you to the region and heavy rail as well. :shrug:  

In fact my wife and I would likely ditch one of our cars if we move there, at least to start. 
Good luck with that. You'll be much happier in the M Streets. Midtown is for the tinder crowd. 

honky kong said:
Congrats!  :thumbup:

And the idea of getting rid of IH345 is an interesting one. A couple of months ago my GF and I got a room downtown and went to hang out in Deep Ellum. I walked through that area he describes and I had the same feelings. It's a waste.
It's something we are witnessing nationwide. We are recognizing the huge mistake (economically to start, but socially and environmentally just as much) of some of these urban highways.  The big dig was one of the first to find a way to re-weave the urban fabric.  A number of cities are talking about highway teardowns in the inner core... when there are legit circulation issues, because the transportation network HAS to work after all, you can go underground, explore concepts like Kylde Warren Park and building over.  Sometimes you really end up adding literally seconds, or maybe a minute or two to a long commute already, and by doing so create tremendous opportunity to create new value, and if you do it right, share that value with segments of the community that don't often get to sit at the table. Really huge win-wins here and it happens to be a common ground for a lot of those on the left and right side of the equation.  

End of the day, the City and people will decide, but there are a lot better options out there than what we thought 50 years ago where downtown was a place a ton of people had to get into for work and out of to get to the suburban home.  They are so much more than that, city cores have been historically and need to be to provide a dense node of activity, innovation, culture, what have you, which then serves a far larger region which is by and large very suburban.  Then again, you have places like McKinney and Plano that recognize the smaller, but still sizeable, downtown/main street/urban environment is a benefit and amenity for the surrounding bedroom communities. 

culdeus said:
Good luck with that. You'll be much happier in the M Streets. Midtown is for the tinder crowd. 
Where are the M Streets?  And what's wrong with the tinder crowd? 

:coffee:

Sabertooth said:
I wish I had the balls to relocate.  Just seems like such an impact on the kids.  
It's amazing what almost dying will do to help create a set of balls, I guess. 

####, one year ago at this very moment I was half way through a two week hospital stay and had not eaten solid foods in nearly 10 days.  

It's amazing what almost dying will do to help create a set of balls, I guess. 

####, one year ago at this very moment I was half way through a two week hospital stay and had not eaten solid foods in nearly 10 days.  
Do you have kids?  

Do you have kids?  
No, obviously a huge factor.  Wife and I planned to have had them 2 years ago - she had medical issues, is now fine, but then I had mine, and we are just coming back up for air three years later.   

I'd also be shocked if in 5-7 years, if we indeed do have kids in the next couple, that we'd still be there so schools and all are not a concern. Then again, who the #### really knows. 

Yeah they are really the only factor for me.  I live in the rustiest part of the rust belt.  Also the coldest part.  No jobs.  Weather sucks.  Glad you are moving.  

Good luck on your health moving forward.  

It's something we are witnessing nationwide. We are recognizing the huge mistake (economically to start, but socially and environmentally just as much) of some of these urban highways.  The big dig was one of the first to find a way to re-weave the urban fabric.  A number of cities are talking about highway teardowns in the inner core... when there are legit circulation issues, because the transportation network HAS to work after all, you can go underground, explore concepts like Kylde Warren Park and building over.  Sometimes you really end up adding literally seconds, or maybe a minute or two to a long commute already, and by doing so create tremendous opportunity to create new value, and if you do it right, share that value with segments of the community that don't often get to sit at the table. Really huge win-wins here and it happens to be a common ground for a lot of those on the left and right side of the equation.  

End of the day, the City and people will decide, but there are a lot better options out there than what we thought 50 years ago where downtown was a place a ton of people had to get into for work and out of to get to the suburban home.  They are so much more than that, city cores have been historically and need to be to provide a dense node of activity, innovation, culture, what have you, which then serves a far larger region which is by and large very suburban.  Then again, you have places like McKinney and Plano that recognize the smaller, but still sizeable, downtown/main street/urban environment is a benefit and amenity for the surrounding bedroom communities. 
I find this fascinating, feel free to share more of your expertise in this area, very cool stuff.  and congrats on the health issue recovery!

To @culdeus point (and any more he may have) what are the neighborhoods we should be looking at? I'm down with vibrancy and lots of #### within walking distance... wife would love a more hip vibe, more historic area which I'm also cool with if properly located and amenitized. Close to downtown is key, specifically access to uptown where the office will be.  Close can be physical proximity or via transit. 

You looked into the transformation of Des Moines in my homestate at all?  Been a big change over the last 10-15 years to bring people/businesses/activity back downtown.  It's worked very well and revitalized what was once just a business center that people commuted to.  It's still largely a commuting area, but there are much better housing options downtown and much more vibrant community scene there.

You looked into the transformation of Des Moines in my homestate at all?  Been a big change over the last 10-15 years to bring people/businesses/activity back downtown.  It's worked very well and revitalized what was once just a business center that people commuted to.  It's still largely a commuting area, but there are much better housing options downtown and much more vibrant community scene there.
Small world. My dallas biz partner's urban planning practice has done a lot of work throughout IA. I'll check it out. 

To @culdeus point (and any more he may have) what are the neighborhoods we should be looking at? I'm down with vibrancy and lots of #### within walking distance... wife would love a more hip vibe, more historic area which I'm also cool with if properly located and amenitized. Close to downtown is key, specifically access to uptown where the office will be.  Close can be physical proximity or via transit. 
If you don't have kids you might like Uptown. I find it to be more for the mid to late 20s set, this might be changing.  Lower greenville is usually where people make their next stop, if they make a next, stop prior to moving north of the wall.  All gonna depend on your budget.  Costs are out of control now.  I mean even Deep Ellum is coming back really strong right now and probably is more in your demo.  

I went Deep Ellum -> MStreets -> Suburb but I have two elem aged kids and had no choice. 

If you don't have kids you might like Uptown. I find it to be more for the mid to late 20s set, this might be changing.  Lower greenville is usually where people make their next stop, if they make a next, stop prior to moving north of the wall.  All gonna depend on your budget.  Costs are out of control now.  I mean even Deep Ellum is coming back really strong right now and probably is more in your demo.  

I went Deep Ellum -> MStreets -> Suburb but I have two elem aged kids and had no choice. 
Will definitely check out DE... I guess the area I was just in might be more "city place" than uptown proper, if that matters? Still a strong SMU influence, which can't be a bad thing as far as talent goes, right?

I like this idea, but I don't think it has much support among the general populace. I spend a lot of time in this space in Austin and I'm always a little disappointed with how poorly these things go over when the average citizen is involved. Our company has offered some real innovative options when it comes to reducing peak hour commuting, but the only thing people take up on is work from home. And, we are one of the models for the city. Hopefully our corporate move to the most livable neighborhood in Austin in the next couple years will change that behavior.

I'm very hopeful that this model will win out long term but I hate how slow the progress is.

I find this fascinating, feel free to share more of your expertise in this area, very cool stuff.  and congrats on the health issue recovery!
Agree. Urbanism and transit is a growing interest of mine. Interesting to read about what works and what doesn't work and what's going on in different places. I've enjoyed reading Koya's posts about development in other threads and would be interested in seeing @Koya start a thread about it and sharing his knowledge. 

Agree. Urbanism and transit is a growing interest of mine. Interesting to read about what works and what doesn't work and what's going on in different places. I've enjoyed reading Koya's posts about development in other threads and would be interested in seeing @Koya start a thread about it and sharing his knowledge. 
I will gladly start a thread... when a bit more :nerd:  , less :football:  and less  :banned:  .

at LGA (god this airport is the worst), will be in Dallas until Wednesday.... more clarity after this week! Hopefully.

Users who are viewing this thread