What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RESPECT! Aretha just killed it (1 Viewer)

Koya

Footballguy
Let's be honest, won't be forever that we will be fortunate enough to hear Aretha Franklin singing the national anthem.  That was something to truly be thankful for. 

It was not the quality of this rendition... agreed, she's, well... old.  

But that was the joy. You heard some moments of one of, if not, the greatest ever at her particular craft.

We won't have Aretha around much longer.  It's honestly, imho, an honor to have seen her, perhaps one last time.  Maybe I'm just a softee.

Damn, tough crowd here.  

You all used to be cool. Especially this Dufresne guy. What happened?

It's a football game not a concert. 
I know.  Pretty cool, huh?

Seriously, I generally am not a fan of the anthem and all. Always a bit nationalistic for me, though it's a hell of a tune (what a ##### to sing, mind you. holy cow). But Aretha is beyond legend. It's honestly an honor to see her, piano faux-playing and all.

As long as they keep her away from singing "America" until she learns not to pause between the syllables of "country".

I'm not a fan of singers who take artistic license with the National Anthem. The honor to sing the anthem is not about them, it's about the country. Is Aretha a legend? Hell yes. 

It's a stupid song generally, so I'm glad whenever a great singer like Franklin can own it.  A+

But that was the joy. You heard some moments of one of, if not, the greatest ever at her particular craft.

We won't have Aretha around much longer.  It's honestly, imho, an honor to have seen her, perhaps one last time.  Maybe I'm just a softee.

You are a softie

She is a legend

That version was terrible

Legends are not above criticism

Let's be honest, won't be forever that we will be fortunate enough to hear Aretha Franklin singing the national anthem.  That was something to truly be thankful for. 
I was running at the gym and saw this with no volume. Even so it moved me. Can't wait to see the video

Great performance. If you don't like soul music, I could see someone not liking it but her performance was amazing. 

I know.  Pretty cool, huh?

Seriously, I generally am not a fan of the anthem and all. Always a bit nationalistic for me, though it's a hell of a tune (what a ##### to sing, mind you. holy cow). But Aretha is beyond legend. It's honestly an honor to see her, piano faux-playing and all.
She was playing the piano from what I could tell. Why do you say faux?

Last edited by a moderator:
Figures.  Another artist that thinks it is all about them and not about honoring our country.

Sing the anthem like it is supposed to be sung.

Killed it is accurate.  That was horrible.

posted this in the game thread:

Vocally ok. But the constant repetitions of the lyrics made it terrible.  "Oh the banner, I said the banner, I mean indeed the banner, I'm talkin' about the banner, Ooooooh the baaaaaneeeer!"   

I thought she was dead, apparently that might  be a good thing if she continues to sing.

She really has not been relevant since the blues brother movie.

I hope you get some new ears for Christmas. That was not gospel.  
That is a matter of opinion:

http://wtop.com/music/2016/11/aretha-franklin-sings-stirring-lengthy-national-anthem-thanksgiving-nfl-game/WASHINGTON

Social media reacts to Aretha Franklin’s stirring, lengthy anthem at Thanksgiving NFL game

Music legend Aretha Franklin took her time during a performance of the national anthem before a Thanksgiving Day game between the Detroit Lions and Minnesota Vikings.

Accompanying herself on a grand piano inside Detroit’s Ford Field, the Queen of Soul stretched the “Star-Spangled Banner” into a nearly five-minute-long gospel tour-de-force, complete with rolling piano arpeggios and the divas’s famously throaty vocals.

she's an American icon :thumbup:

my brother in law walked in the room while she was singing and said "the anthem was better when people just sang it like it was intended. now people just disrespect it and try to make the song about them. i wonder if other countries let people disrespect their anthem, what a disgrace."

:mellow:

Figures.  Another artist that thinks it is all about them and not about honoring our country.

Sing the anthem like it is supposed to be sung.
i went to a turkey trot this morning. probably.. 35 degrees. 50% of the people there were moving and wearing hats.  took me a long time to go around taking pictures of everyone and recording their names for reporting to the Committee for the Promotion of Virtue and the Prevention of Vice

we simply can't allow people to deviate from the way things should be. then you get things like #### marrying animals and people skipping Sunday mass.

Very weird. The anthem turned into a big issue at my TG party. I can not comprehend how it was so disliked.

Pretty terrible rendition imo - the stop/start phrasing, repetition and dragging out so many notes bugged me a lot. I can handle liberal interpretations of the anthem but that wasn't good. 

Users who are viewing this thread