What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What's the real clam chowder? (1 Viewer)

Manhattan or New England?

• Total voters
I guess they are both "real", but I'll choose the the rich and creamy goodness that is the New England style any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

I've mostly eaten New England style myself, having tried Manhattan when I was a kid and not liking it.  I'm wondering if anyone has an argument for Manhattan being better that would convince me to try it again.

I think Manhattan is easier to get right. I've had a lot of creamy New England chowders where I couldn't taste much clam. And I've had flavorful ones that are more milky than  creamy. An exemplary New England chowder is probably still better, but I find those tough to find. 

R.I. Lobsters are also better then Maine fwiw.  
Usually NE lobsters are all good if caught 'just over there' which is what we would get growing up near Boston. You'd pick them up at a 'store' where they caught them in the harbor that you could see.

A bonus was the price. I remember in the summer (80s) we could get lobsters that were boiled for less than it would cost to go to McD. 

Usually NE lobsters are all good if caught 'just over there' which is what we would get growing up near Boston. You'd pick them up at a 'store' where they caught them in the harbor that you could see.

A bonus was the price. I remember in the summer (80s) we could get lobsters that were boiled for less than it would cost to go to McD. 
Really no difference between a RI lobster, Maine lobster, MA lobster, Canadian lobster. Colder the water the better.

Just don't try and give me one of those spiny Caribbean lobsters with no claws. 

Great recipe. From Wegmans, one of the best grocery stores out there.

Wegmans Clam Chowder

Originally from Wegmans

Ingredients

• 1/4 lb bacon, chopped (I usually cut each slice into 8-10 pieces)
  • 4 tbsp (1/2 stick) Butter
  • 1 c. diced celery 
  • 1 c. diced onions
  • 1/2 lb. Leeks (1/2 in dice) It ends up being 2-3 cups.
  • 3 cloves Garlic, minced (more or less)
  • 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
  • 4 bottles (8 oz each) Clam Juice
  • 4 cups heavy cream (I usually use even amounts heavy cream and 1/2 and 1/2)
  • 2 lbs.  White Potatoes, peeled, 1/2-inch dice (4 cups) - bite sized
  • Clams (~1 lb) chopped (I use 3 cans)
  • 2 tbsp chopped Italian Parsley
  • 1 tbsp chopped Thyme
  • ~1 tsp hot pepper sauce (e.g. Frank's RedHot Sauce, Tabasco)
  • Salt and pepper to taste

Instructions

1. Add bacon to stockpot on MEDIUM. Cook 2-3 min, until bacon is crispy. Drain most of the bacon fat. Add butter, onion, celery, leeks and garlic; stir. Cook about 5 min, until soft but not browned.
  2. Add flour; stirring until completely blended. Cook, stirring and scraping bottom of pan every 30 seconds, about 2 min.
  3. Whisk in clam juice and cream. Add potatoes. Increase heat to MEDIUM-HIGH. Cook, stirring occasionally, about 10 min, until it comes to a boil.
  4. Reduce heat to MEDIUM-LOW. Simmer 10-15 min, stirring occasionally, until potatoes are fork-tender.
  5. Add clams, herbs, and pepper sauce; season to taste with salt and pepper. Cook ~10 minutes until warmed through.

Users who are viewing this thread