What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Most Clueless Coach in the NFL (1 Viewer)

Who's worst?

• Gus Bradley

Votes: 32 22.5%
  • Jeff Fisher

Votes: 84 59.2%
  • Sean Payton

Votes: 11 7.7%
  • Andy Reid

Votes: 20 14.1%
  • Other (specify)

Votes: 13 9.2%

• Total voters

Arodin

Footballguy
What have you got?  Seems the same names come up week after week for inexplicable playcalling, clock management and personnel usage.  Who's the worst?

I voted Reid given his track record with KC and Philly. Clock management and goalline play calling is constantly questionable.

SF clock management was awful during the Miami game today, unless they are satisfied with losing and playing for a top 2 pick in next years draft.

John Fox.  Every week.  Got a stop on 3rd down today with 2:06 left and took their last timeout before the 2 minute warning.  Biggest idiot in the NFL. 

How is Reid on this list?  He is 18-8 since the start of last season. 
Because his clock management skills seem to have been learned on a sundial, people constantly complain about his playcalling and his mindboggling personnel usage...

Not saying he's the right choice, but he seems to be one of the most criticized coaches on this board, week in and week out.

Because his clock management skills seem to have been learned on a sundial, people constantly complain about his playcalling and his mindboggling personnel usage...

Not saying he's the right choice, but he seems to be one of the most criticized coaches on this board, week in and week out.
Because people love to #####.  Reid's play calling might be dubious at times, but you cannot argue with the results. 

You can be a winning coach and clueless in alot of situations. If you followed the eagles under Reid, nothing has changed.

Maybe clueless isn't the right choice, but definitely one of the more frustrating coaches. When asked questions about his choices, he does act very clueless.

Last edited by a moderator:
You can be a winning coach and clueless in alot of situations. If you followed the eagles under Reid, nothing has changed.

Maybe clueless isn't the right choice, but definitely one of the more frustrating coaches. When asked questions about his choices, he does act very clueless.
Yet he has phenomenal organizational skills. He is a master of preparation - probably has the best record after the bye week in NFL history. He's about to go the playoffs for the 12th time in 18 years.

Yes, his clock management sucks. Always has. The other important stuff far outweighs it.

Yet he has phenomenal organizational skills. He is a master of preparation - probably has the best record after the bye week in NFL history. He's about to go the playoffs for the 12th time in 18 years.

Yes, his clock management sucks. Always has. The other important stuff far outweighs it.
Just feels like his teams win in spite of him, not because of him.  I could be wrong but he leaves you wondering sometimes wtf hes doing.  Maybe thats the genius of his coaching. Cant complain about his win % though.

I can't blame Kubiak for trying for the win last night. A tie isn't going to help them contend for the division or a possible 1st round bye. 

Kubiak is a solid coach, regardless of whether one disagrees with a decision that's fresh in their minds. Payton is obnoxious, but he doesn't deserve to be on this list either. Bradley's results with the Jags have been pitiful so far, but really, no one can match Fisher for sheer longevity of mediocrity. No other coach has been employed for this long while putting out consistently undisciplined and underprepared teams year after year, showing no sign of improvement.

Many folks have complained about Reid's clock management for years, but he still doesn't belong anywhere close to a bad coach list. He has a long history of getting his teams well-prepared, often over-achieving, and a terrific W-L record overall.

Kubiak for attempting a 62 yard FG in OT.
Nah, it was the right call.

If you punt, you are almost assured a tie.  If you kick and miss, you have your defense to fall back on.

In the race for the division lead, a tie is basically the same as a loss.  I'd rather play to win.

For me it is Fisher.  He is the most maddenly inconsistent coach in the NFL.  No other coach has the ability to beat any team in the NFL one week and then lose to anyone the next.  He's not your average, average coach.  He is both a spectacular winner and loser.

Ron Rivera always stands there with that clueless look on his face.  The team always has trouble with TOs and time management.  Going for two after touchdowns early in the game to try and chase points.  Not going for it on 4th and 1 at mid field, late in the 4th quarter, when you have the biggest and strongest QB in football.

Kubiak for attempting a 62 yard FG in OT.
Made no sense. That's a kick you attempt if there's no time left on the clock. Not an easy kick even in Denver. Chiefs get the ball and only need about 10-15yds to get in FG range. Didn't understand that one.

If a win was what they were after, then they shouldn't have gone quasi-prevent up 8 with two minutes to go.  That would've been a far higher percentage play for a win than a sixty ####### two yard FG.  
To be fair; this ain't Madden. Defense was sucking air. Totally gassed.

Von Miller on the sidelines on oxygen for half that drive. All the guys with hands on their hips. Both defenses played 1000 mph all game.

IMO this also fed into the decision to go for the FG.

The poll results are spot on.  I do not know how Fisher keeps his job.  
He's great with players - for a team in total rebuild mode with a rookie QB, he's a good fit. He's also a sharp dude and the ownership obviously likes him. 

Not saying he's undeserving of criticism - just saying how he's keeping his job. ;)  

I  only just realized I left Chip Kelly off the poll choices.  Guess it's a sign that he's turned it around somewhat, since there are barely any "other" votes and nobody has mentioned him yet...

I voted for Gus Bradley--but I was very close to going Fisher or other.  My other would include guys like Chip, possibly McCarthy for this season.     The reason why I didn't go Fisher is because I feel like his team is performing about as well as most football fans should have expected it to.  I figured that the Rams were maybe a 4-6 win team going into the season--and my guess is that they'll finish in that range.   Sure--he's made some questionable coaching decisions--but every coach does that.    The deciding factor for me on Bradley is that he has essentially done so little with so much.   His teams should be performing much better considering the division that they play in--but yet they somehow find a way to fail miserably. 

Jeff Fisher has such a long record of ineptness that he gets the edge.

Reid is pretty clueless during the games on the offensive side of the ball, but he creates really good teams.  I'd probably more frustrated as a fan of Reid's teams because they are so close to greatness.

Marvin mother####ing Lewis. 

Bengals get a fortunate spot on 3rd down and he takes it for granted and does what? Calls a ####### timeout!!!

Which affords Harbaugh to review the replay and throw his challenge flag. 

Refs reverse the spot and find they were short. It's not 4th down. 

Bengals punt. And lose. Ravens win, in part, because Lewis is a ####### ruhtard. 

He's great with players - for a team in total rebuild mode with a rookie QB, he's a good fit. He's also a sharp dude and the ownership obviously likes him. 

Not saying he's undeserving of criticism - just saying how he's keeping his job. ;)  
He's great if you want to stay around .500 every year.

Fisher in a walk.   It's not even close.  He's rushing up on the most losses in NFL coaching history, if anyone doubts why this is just watch one game.   I defy to to argue against him being the worst after that. 

Were we supposed to vote based on NFL value or fantasy football value?

I'm joking on Kubiak even though I didn't agree with his decision to kick.  Went Bradley though can understand the votes for Fisher. 

How is Reid ahead of Peyton? Reid actually wins and with a crappy qb. Peyton loses with Brees. You know qb is half the battle in the nfl, there are almost no teams that lose with HoF candidates yet Peyton has done a pretty good job. People talk about the Packers wasting Rodgers well how about Brees?

He may be the biggest idiot but not for this reason.
Scenario A:
No timeout - Titans let clock run to 2:00, Punt ~ 10 seconds. Bears get ball back with 1:50 on clock with timeout.

Scenario B:
Timeout at 2:06.  Punt: Bears get ball back with 1:56 on clock, no timeout.

Which scenario would you prefer?

Ha, Andy Reid.  I wish Chiefs management was that clueless.

''Well, I dunno, a lot of people in Philadelphia seemed to be unhappy with him.  And you know Philly, they don't really like to complain that much....''

I'll take Chip Kelly.  Still thinks he's the smartest guy in the league, and clearly his offense has been figured out.  His complete dismantling of the Eagles was a great moment in hubris.  Do you think the Eagles could use LeSean McCoy this season?

not to mention his personnel on offense is a shell of what it should have/could have been. Losing your #1 RB and having your #1 WR ineffective/inactive for much of the season doesn't help matters either.  And while I really do like Alex Smith and think he's a great game manager (which I do not consider an insult...lots of game managers have SB rings) and a classy kid who's been through the ringer as far as situations and coaching carousels go, there's no denying that his noodle arm hamstrings Reid when it comes to calling the offense. He's limited to dink and dunk for the most part. So yeah - there's something to be said for "doing the most with limited talent" and on offense that describes Reid & the Chiefs perfectly. 

I'm not saying Reid isn't deserving of some criticism for his clock management - that's been his biggest issue during his entire career, but as you mentioned - the results are impressive.

I don't think clock management alone should put a coach at the top of this list.

I do find it interesting that the 1-9 coach of the 49ers isn't on this list - not that I think Chip deserves a spot, since the team plays hard and is severely limited at the skill positions, but if you posted this topic last year he'd probably have been #1 on a lot of folks lists. 

I dunno - I don't feel like I'm qualified to call any NFL head coach "clueless", since they've all achieved more in life than I likely ever will...they ascended to the positions they're in by being excellent at many levels of football, and all have different situations in the NFL.  Many consider Gruden one of the smartest / best HC's ever, but his somewhat short tenure as a HC was with a very talented Raiders team, followed by taking the powerhouse team that Dungy built to the Super Bowl and beating his former Asst Coach who happened to be using the same playbook (and with Barrett Robbins on a bender in TJ to boot).  Don't get me wrong - Gru is an entertaining and sharp guy...but the situations he had weren't the same as the situation Reid has, or the situation Fisher has. 

Some have commented about Fisher closing in on most losses ever. I realize it's counterintuitive, but in order to have the most losses ever you have to be a pretty damn good HC.  Bad coaches simply aren't employed long enough to rack up that many losses. ;)  

I'll stand by for the flaming for that last sentence.  :popcorn:

Assessing Fisher as a personnel man as well, since by all accounts he has final say on personnel decisions, he's had five years with the Rams, and despite amassing a bounty of picks in the RG3 trade, managed to build a team that's no better, results-wise, than when he got there. Everyone points to the wealth of talent on the team (mostly on the defensive side), so what does the fact that they're still no better than a "7-9 BS" team say about Fisher's performance?

Assessing Fisher as a personnel man as well, since by all accounts he has final say on personnel decisions, he's had five years with the Rams, and despite amassing a bounty of picks in the RG3 trade, managed to build a team that's no better, results-wise, than when he got there. Everyone points to the wealth of talent on the team (mostly on the defensive side), so what does the fact that they're still no better than a "7-9 BS" team say about Fisher's performance?
That they've needed a QB for a long time? 

Users who are viewing this thread