What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

if you were going to buy a new gun, what would you get? (1 Viewer)

Give me one recommended entry-level firearm for each of the following (please also include rough price point if known, thanks):

1. Handgun/pistol

2. Shotgun

3. AR-15

Which gun can I legally purchase that will allow me to kill the most people in the shortest amount of time?

for self defense of course

Give me one recommended entry-level firearm for each of the following (please also include rough price point if known, thanks):

1. Handgun/pistol - Glock 26 9mm subcompact $599

2. Shotgun Remington 870 with 18" Barrel for home defense $300 

3. AR-15 too many to choose from, but should be able to get something very solid around a grand. 

Walther PPQ is a nice handgun.  Recoil as soft as putting your hand on a washing machine during spin cycle

Not a fan of Glocks, but the S&W M&P 9mm is a very similar weapon with most of the same advantages. That is what I bought when I got a 9. Stock trigger sucks though. But an Glock-style Apex trigger kit is about $100.

If you want a really fun gun to shoot, an AR15 pistol is great.  Primary Arms usually has a few on sale in the $500 range with "stabilizing brace".  

For a handgun, the Beretta 92FS is great.  Shoots smooth and accurate and is 9mm.  Get the stainless version if you want a different look.

For shotgun, Hatsan is a Turkish company that makes a very inexpensive 4+1 12 ga autoloader.  Got mine for less than $300 from Big 5 Sports a few years ago.  No problems at all.

1. Handgun/pistol

2. Shotgun

3. AR-15
1. Assuming that you want the handgun primarily to conceal carry, I'd have no reservations about recommending the M&P Shield.  Accurate with low recoil in 9mm.  Get one without the thumb safety, but do splurge on the factory night sights.  Approximate cost is $500.  Alternatively if you're looking for something that you *might* conceal carry occasionally, but otherwise sits safely at home as a "nightstand" gun, I'd recommend a Glock (17/19) or S&W (M&P full size or compact) in 9mm.  Cost here is around $450.  I don't recommend .40 or .45, not because they are bad calibers, but rather that 9mm will have the lowest recoil with a higher magazine capacity while still offering acceptable performance.

2.  If you already own a shotgun that you may use (or once did) for hunting and you want to use it for home defense, buy a 18.5" smooth bore barrel and some buckshot.  Remington 870 and Mossberg 500 replacement barrels are under $100. If you don't already own a shotgun and have no intention of every using one for hunting, don't waste your money on buying a shotgun.  If you insist on buy a shotgun anyway, the aforementioned shotguns are the standard and should run you less than $400. 

3. ARs are a lot like computers.  You can buy a Dell to do basic office/surfing stuff.  It'll work, but if you start using it frequently you may feel like you wished you spent more money on something nicer.  Following the computer analog, the best bang for your buck on gaming computers is if you build it yourself.  

I really don't know much about the grab it off the shelf ARs - I think the M&P 15 is a decent gun for around $700.  This would be a perfectly fine AR for an occasional trip to the range and/or as a home defense gun.

If you head the build it yourself route, you can buy about any brand of stripped lower and buy the rest of the lower parts as you desire - your choice on how much you want to spend on the trigger and buffer/stock.  Putting the lower together is simple if you have two thumbs, basic tools, and some patience.   For the upper I'd recommend a Bravo Company 16" mid length and bolt carrier group/charging handle.   You can build yourself a very nice AR for around a grand.

A couple more pieces of advice: 

1.  If possible try out as many firearms as possible before making a purchase.  Some ranges have guns for rent - don't be afraid to try them out.  If you don't have a range close that does this, when at your gun shop focus on what fits your hand well and how comfortable/natural it is to point and dry fire.  

2.  Get some training.  If you only have one take away from my entire post, this is it. It's well worth the cost and time to learn how to use your firearms safely, responsibly, and effectively.  If you think you'll rise to the occasion if you need to use your firearm, you won't.  You'll fall to your training level.    Ask potential instructors about their qualifications.  If you get answers that seem a bit sketchy, then its a strong indicator that this isn't the instructor you're looking for.  In my experience I've had good luck with law enforcement instructors/trainers looking to make some extra money teaching civilians what they know.  

3.  If you're thinking about concealed carry, buy a decent holster and belt.  If you go cheap here, you'll ultimately end up not carrying the pistol or replacing the crap holster/belt.

4. Buy firearms/get training in this order - pistol/AR/shotgun.

5. To answer the original question in the thread topic and if I had money burning a hole in my pocket, I'd buy this: http://www.cimarron-firearms.com/products/hollywood-series/hollywood-series-man-with-no-name-conversion.html

Last edited by a moderator:
A shotgun is the most versatile gun on the planet.  Depending on the ammo used you can hunt birds of all types, a lot of different types of larger game, and have a suitable home defense weapon.  If you can only own (afford) one gun, then I wouldn't fault anyone choosing the shotgun.  

I strongly prefer pistols for home defense, hence my assessment to skip the shotgun unless you hunt. I'll layout my reasons why:

1.  Higher ammo capacity.  Many 9mm pistols are 17+1. Most pump shotguns are 5+1.

2.  Faster (re)load times.  I find that it's much quicker to insert a magazine into the pistol.  The shotgun involves fumbling with loose shells.  

3.  Better ergonomics.  It is much easier to safely and effectively operate a pistol with one hand.  This leaves your other hand open for a flashlight to assist in identifying the threat, to use a phone to call for help, manipulate a door lock, etc.  Additionally its easier to operate the pistol in tight spaces, for instance, hallways around bedrooms.

4. Less risk of over penetration.   Pistol defense ammo will go through dry wall but buckshot will go several layers of dry wall.  In either case nothing replaces the need to know your target and what lies behind your target.  

5. Faster follow-up shots.  The shotgun has greater recoil, which means more time to come back on target. It also requires the operator to do a secondary manual action, i.e. pump the gun.  In a high stress situation, it's easy to short stroke a pump action on follow up shots.

6. Availability/gun at the ready.  For home defense, it's important to have a weapon that can be deployed quickly.  There are many storage devices specifically designed to securely store a loaded pistol and still provide easy access.  There are similar storage options for shotguns, however they take up more space and are more difficult to hide.  Additionally if you are comfortable conceal carrying, there's very little reason to not have your pistol on you when you're hanging out around the house.  The pistol on your hip can be brought into action much more quickly than a shotgun stored in a bedroom.

1. Assuming that you want the handgun primarily to conceal carry, I'd have no reservations about recommending the M&P Shield.  Accurate with low recoil in 9mm.  Get one without the thumb safety, but do splurge on the factory night sights.  Approximate cost is $500.  Alternatively if you're looking for something that you *might* conceal carry occasionally, but otherwise sits safely at home as a "nightstand" gun, I'd recommend a Glock (17/19) or S&W (M&P full size or compact) in 9mm.  Cost here is around $450.  I don't recommend .40 or .45, not because they are bad calibers, but rather that 9mm will have the lowest recoil with a higher magazine capacity while still offering acceptable performance.

2.  If you already own a shotgun that you may use (or once did) for hunting and you want to use it for home defense, buy a 18.5" smooth bore barrel and some buckshot.  Remington 870 and Mossberg 500 replacement barrels are under $100. If you don't already own a shotgun and have no intention of every using one for hunting, don't waste your money on buying a shotgun.  If you insist on buy a shotgun anyway, the aforementioned shotguns are the standard and should run you less than $400. 

3. ARs are a lot like computers.  You can buy a Dell to do basic office/surfing stuff.  It'll work, but if you start using it frequently you may feel like you wished you spent more money on something nicer.  Following the computer analog, the best bang for your buck on gaming computers is if you build it yourself.  

I really don't know much about the grab it off the shelf ARs - I think the M&P 15 is a decent gun for around $700.  This would be a perfectly fine AR for an occasional trip to the range and/or as a home defense gun.

If you head the build it yourself route, you can buy about any brand of stripped lower and buy the rest of the lower parts as you desire - your choice on how much you want to spend on the trigger and buffer/stock.  Putting the lower together is simple if you have two thumbs, basic tools, and some patience.   For the upper I'd recommend a Bravo Company 16" mid length and bolt carrier group/charging handle.   You can build yourself a very nice AR for around a grand.

A couple more pieces of advice: 

1.  If possible try out as many firearms as possible before making a purchase.  Some ranges have guns for rent - don't be afraid to try them out.  If you don't have a range close that does this, when at your gun shop focus on what fits your hand well and how comfortable/natural it is to point and dry fire.  

2.  Get some training.  If you only have one take away from my entire post, this is it. It's well worth the cost and time to learn how to use your firearms safely, responsibly, and effectively.  If you think you'll rise to the occasion if you need to use your firearm, you won't.  You'll fall to your training level.    Ask potential instructors about their qualifications.  If you get answers that seem a bit sketchy, then its a strong indicator that this isn't the instructor you're looking for.  In my experience I've had good luck with law enforcement instructors/trainers looking to make some extra money teaching civilians what they know.  

3.  If you're thinking about concealed carry, buy a decent holster and belt.  If you go cheap here, you'll ultimately end up not carrying the pistol or replacing the crap holster/belt.

4. Buy firearms/get training in this order - pistol/AR/shotgun.

5. To answer the original question in the thread topic and if I had money burning a hole in my pocket, I'd buy this: http://www.cimarron-firearms.com/products/hollywood-series/hollywood-series-man-with-no-name-conversion.html
Oooh that Cimarron is sweet.

Dad got me a s&w shield for xmas last year....I like it.

My biggest advantage of shotgun > pistol is forgiveness in targeting in what is likely to be a poor visibility / chaotic situation... and knockdown power.

Talk to any LEO about how many times they've seen folks absorb multiple handgun rounds and keep coming. Or, god forbid you miss center mass (or all together) due to lighting or chaos... now you're fighting hand to hand with a pistol in the mix. MOST folks lack the pistol training to be effective in those low light high stress scenarios. If you're that confident in your handgun marksmanship under duress, more power to you.... you're in the vast minority. 

In CQB scenario where an attacker can close nearly any in-home distance in a second or less, I'll take the targeting forgiveness and one-shot KO power of a shotgun. 

Regarding drywall penetration, ANY round effective enough to penetrate a body is going to penetrate drywall. However many studies have shown real-world overshooting risk is comparable between Buck and most handgun calibers.

Dad got me a s&w shield for xmas last year....I like it.
I had one... wasn't a fan of the single stack mag (lower capacity and too small for my large hands).... also found I wasn't as accurate with it (vs my glock26) in several side by side sessions.

That said, handguns are very varied and will perform differently for different folks. Anyone who buys one based on how it works for someone else is doing themselves a disservice. Go shoot a lot of different models and FIND which one works best for you. Not speaking to you rascal, just in general. 

90% of the time you don't have to shoot it (unverified).  An invader hears that familiar "CHIK - CHIK!!" of the shotgun pump and they flee
I think there are a couple of scenarios here.  

First you have a common burglar looking for a quick and easy heist.  Once they realize the homeowner is present, they will probably flee regardless what the homeowner is armed with.  The "CHIK-CHIK" may cause them to leave a brown trail though.

The second situation involves a criminal (or criminals) that are willing to commit bodily harm to you to complete their goal.  When this type of criminal hears the "CHIK-CHIK", you've given them three things: 1) information on what you are armed with;  2) information on where you are; 3)  the opportunity to prepare for a gun fight.  These are things I don't want to give the criminal.

My biggest advantage of shotgun > pistol is forgiveness in targeting in what is likely to be a poor visibility / chaotic situation... and knockdown power.

Talk to any LEO about how many times they've seen folks absorb multiple handgun rounds and keep coming. Or, god forbid you miss center mass (or all together) due to lighting or chaos... now you're fighting hand to hand with a pistol in the mix. MOST folks lack the pistol training to be effective in those low light high stress scenarios. If you're that confident in your handgun marksmanship under duress, more power to you.... you're in the vast minority. 

In CQB scenario where an attacker can close nearly any in-home distance in a second or less, I'll take the targeting forgiveness and one-shot KO power of a shotgun. 

Regarding drywall penetration, ANY round effective enough to penetrate a body is going to penetrate drywall. However many studies have shown real-world overshooting risk is comparable between Buck and most handgun calibers.
I agree that stopping power is a very strong point for the shotgun in a home defense situation.

If you can point me in the direction of the studies you're referring to regarding over penetration, I'd be much obliged. My research on the topic indicated that both will over penetrate, but buckshot to a much larger degree.

Users who are viewing this thread