What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Is Chess a Sport? (1 Viewer)

Is Chess a Sport?

• Total voters

chet

Footballguy
This is the place to debate whether chess is a sport.  Make your best arguments for or against here.

If they made the pawns as large or larger than the other pieces, it would be a decent replication of a football game.

Yes. It is not an athletic sport. But it is a sport, I say. So is poker I think. Most non athletic games are not sport but these two are close enough...

actually Im not sure. 

Of course not a sport.

at the very very lowest part of a sporting definition is the need for some sort of physical skill and coordination.  That allows low energy activities like golf, pool, even video games to maybe be considered.

But chess has none of these traits.  Same as poker, they are a game that requires no physical skill or coordination.

Yes. It is not an athletic sport. But it is a sport, I say. So is poker I think. Most non athletic games are not sport but these two are close enough...

actually Im not sure. 
You're still the only Yes voter.

Poker?  :lol:  

I like both games but they are just that.  Games.

Chess is a game.  It is the only game that I can think of that has no element of chance associated with it.

No. 

It is a game of skill, specifically of mental skills. 

That doesn't mean it can't be competitive and therefor have competitions or tournaments - but it's not a sport

If they made the pawns as large or larger than the other pieces, it would be a decent replication of a football game.
I don't see this.  Success of a group of football players (pieces) depends on coordinated, simultaneously movement.  Chess movement is one piece per turn.  Players are not captured and removed in football.  I can see an argument that advancement into opponents territory is a goal of both games, but that's really it - and that advancement and its relation to the end game is different.

Not even close. just like competitive video gaming or poker or magic: the gathering  (I grew up across the street from a former m:tg national championship and believe me, he was no athlete) it's a game of skill.

Last edited by a moderator:
:lmao:  A sport? You can play Chess against someone on the other side of the world. HTF could that be a sport?

Not even close. just like competitive video gaming or poker or magic: the gathering  (I grew up across the street from a former m:tg national championship and believe me, he was no athlete) it's a game of skill.
you can actually make a small case for some in the gaming community that they need incredible hand eye coordination and quick reflexes, both strong components sports.

I am talking about the the active games of course (shooters etc) , not a card game like Magic, hearhstone or Poker.

you can actually make a small case for some in the gaming community that they need incredible hand eye coordination and quick reflexes, both strong components sports.

I am talking about the the active games of course (shooters etc) , not a card game like Magic, hearhstone or Poker.
No, no you can not make a case for that. 

Lot of things in the world require incredible skill.  Painting on the head of a nail requires incredible skill.  Sport??

Pretty sure if you can play something by mailing letters back and forth, it's not a sport.

Now you've done it, You've called Tim, Foosball God and RokNRole idiots

There will be hell to pay

:popcorn:
If they are willing to concede that playing NES Tecmo Bowl and Tecmo Super Bowl is a sport, then I will concede that chess is a sport. 

this makes no sense.  Would love to hear you explain it though
I was just trying to say that large parts of baseball require skill (similar to golf).

I have no idea why you are so upset about this by the way.  All I said originally was that an activity that requires fast twitch muscle movement and strong hand to eye coordination has some of the components of what makes up a sport.  There is nothing outrageous in that statement. 

I did not say they made up a complete sport, just that there is at least something there that neither poker or chess have.

I was just trying to say that large parts of baseball require skill (similar to golf).

I have no idea why you are so upset about this by the way.  All I said originally was that an activity that requires fast twitch muscle movement and strong hand to eye coordination has some of the components of what makes up a sport.  There is nothing outrageous in that statement. 

I did not say they made up a complete sport, just that there is at least something there that neither poker or chess have.
Your earlier response to my comment just didn't make any sense, and you didn't really explain it  here either.  Moving on.

I think you must first start with what your definition of a sport is.  This varies between people.  For me the definition of a sport is the following:

1.  You must be able to directly affect your opponent.  Example:  100 m dash is not a sport it is an athletic activity.  You can only be as fast as you can be and you have no impact to your opponents times.

2.  You must have to exert some physical activity.  Example:  Chess is not a sport.  No physical activity required.

3.  The "scoring" cannot be solely based on a judgment score.  Example:  Figure skating/Gymnastics.  The winner is based strictly on a judge providing a score based on their impression of faults etc. 

For the purposes of this poll based on my definition of sport......Chess is not a sport.

I think you must first start with what your definition of a sport is.  This varies between people.  For me the definition of a sport is the following:

1.  You must be able to directly affect your opponent.  Example:  100 m dash is not a sport it is an athletic activity.  You can only be as fast as you can be and you have no impact to your opponents times.

2.  You must have to exert some physical activity.  Example:  Chess is not a sport.  No physical activity required.

3.  The "scoring" cannot be solely based on a judgment score.  Example:  Figure skating/Gymnastics.  The winner is based strictly on a judge providing a score based on their impression of faults etc. 

For the purposes of this poll based on my definition of sport......Chess is not a sport.
According to your 1st definition a lot of actual sports are not sports. 

According to your 1st definition a lot of actual sports are not sports. 
I know.  To me they are not sports.  They are athletic activities.  To me a key component to a sport is dealing with an opponent and affecting the outcome by interacting with them.  Golf, track, and swimming are examples of activities that you are only as good as you are and have no direct impact on your opponents so it takes it out of the sport category for me.  I am not saying they are easy, just that you don't need an opponent to do them so they are not sports.

Last edited by a moderator:

Since these are your own personal definitions, no one can argue with them.   Using these, does that mean you think that things like auto racing don't count as a sport?

Also, with #1, you wipe out probably half of the Olympics :) , swimming, track and field, cycling etc.

#3 is tricky because both boxing and mma can easily come down to judging.

I know.  To me they are not sports.  They are athletic activities.  To me a key component to a sport is dealing with an opponent and affecting the outcome by interacting with them.  Golf, track, and swimming are examples of activities that you are only as good as you are and have no direct impact on your opponents so it takes it out of the sport category for me.  I am not saying they are easy, just that you don't need an opponent to do them.
But does this disregard the mental side of sports?  For years Tiger dominated golf and players crumble before him due to the pressure of trying to keep up with him.

I think there is a big difference between shooting 18 holes of golf on your own and then doing so in a tournament setting where the pressure increases significantly.

Since these are your own personal definitions, no one can argue with them.   Using these, does that mean you think that things like auto racing don't count as a sport?

Also, with #1, you wipe out probably half of the Olympics :) , swimming, track and field, cycling etc.

#3 is tricky because both boxing and mma can easily come down to judging.
There are some tricky ones (as you stated boxing comes to mind) but I would probably give them the nod because ultimately if you knock the guy out you win and that is not based on judging. 

Auto racing is in the grey area and I would probably put them in because there is a way to affect your opponent by drafting, shielding etc and it takes a significant amount of physicality to complete the race even if you aren't running.  Drag racing on the other hand would not be a sport for reasons like the 100 m sprint.

Users who are viewing this thread