What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Inflatable Christmas characters on front lawn -- tacky? (1 Viewer)

Do you have inflatables in your yard?

• Yes

Votes: 26 13.8%
  • No

Votes: 163 86.2%

• Total voters
Once you move beyond small white lights you are in tacky territory, if you are using inflatables you are well across the line.

One, maybe two are OK. Anything more is tacky..

I spend about 20 hours each year decorating outside but have zero inflatables as I never cared  for them. :shrug:

I think they are tacky, but I think tacky Christmas inflatables are very acceptable during the Holidays. I give them a  :thumbup: , and a ho ho ho!!

Interesting topic...I used to not be a fan but I have come around but with one caveat...it all depends on the house...a nice well-groomed house can pull it off...brings a nice holiday feel to the neighborhood...on the flip-side if it is a house with a bad lawn that has not painted the house in about a 30 years and has a blow-up Santa on a motorcycle you have every right to contact Homeland Security and have it removed...

Our new neighbors have a bunch of them scattered randomly around their yard. One is a huge Santa wearing camo, another is a North Pole Police car with elves or something hanging out of the side windows with guns and megaphones. Some other stuff too, maybe a snowman or reindeer. Colored lights strewn haphazardly from trees, including single strands that run from one tree to the next. Looks like absolute crap. I really don't care, wife acts like they're running a brothel and told me she's worried about our property value.

Our new neighbors have a bunch of them scattered randomly around their yard. One is a huge Santa wearing camo, another is a North Pole Police car with elves or something hanging out of the side windows with guns and megaphones. Some other stuff too, maybe a snowman or reindeer. Colored lights strewn haphazardly from trees, including single strands that run from one tree to the next. Looks like absolute crap. I really don't care, wife acts like they're running a brothel and told me she's worried about our property value.
:lol:  How about some pics :pics:  

Unless you can arrange the snowman and the reindeer or whatever having sex, then inflatables are in very bad taste.

Inflatables are definitely tacky, but in a good way if done right. One of my neighbors does a 40 ft snowman each winter and its glorious. With Christmas inflatables, you have to go big or don't bother.

I used to be the all white lights or nothing guy. Did it with candles in every window along with a wreath. Very "elegant". With kids, I've been forced to evolve into a color lights guy. We took it a step further this year with a stuffed Santa hanging from one of my gutters. 

Kids like it so that's all that matters to me. 

I agree with others. In the wrong hands, it looks like white trash, but white trash look like that anyways. Maybe the 16-foot talk Charlie Brown can cover up the broken down pickup truck. 

How is a 40 foot snowman even legal?

I have never considered using an inflatable ornament ever, but might reconsider if I can do something like that. 

I revel in displays of Christmas tackiness, especially the house near me that had about a hundred of those old-school plastic figures (one year I counted three distinct baby Jesi and the corresponding 9 wise men).

My perspective has changed post kids. I hate them. And will never have them in my yard. But my 4 and 6 year old's eyes light up whenever we drive by them. This is their holiday, so I'm fine with it now. Sort of. I think. 

Camo Santa can go #### himself though. 

With 3 kids, We compromise. We do inflatables for Halloween. Traditional white lights for Christmas. 

My perspective has changed post kids. I hate them. And will never have them in my yard. But my 4 and 6 year old's eyes light up whenever we drive by them. This is their holiday, so I'm fine with it now. Sort of. I think. 

Camo Santa can go #### himself though. 
Me and my camo santa say :boxing:

Don't have any but I like seeing them.  Makes me happy 
My grandmother has always loved seeing them, or just seeing places lit up however it was for Christmas. We always made an effort to drive her around when she couldn't anymore to see the "lights and decorations." She lit up just like the decorations she saw.  She is still alive now, but she is 95 (will be 96 next week), and she is in a nursing home and can't see them anymore. She isn't well enough to take her out and see them or we would. I will forever smile when I see these extravagant scenes, tacky or not, and think of how happy it made my grandmother. Christmas is the time of year where tacky is joyfullness.

My grandmother has always loved seeing them, or just seeing places lit up however it was for Christmas. We always made an effort to drive her around when she couldn't anymore to see the "lights and decorations." She lit up just like the decorations she saw.  She is still alive now, but she is 95 (will be 96 next week), and she is in a nursing home and can't see them anymore. She isn't well enough to take her out and see them or we would. I will forever smile when I see these extravagant scenes, tacky or not, and think of how happy it made my grandmother. Christmas is the time of year where tacky is joyfullness.
Exactly.  Great stuff 

I loved driving around and looking at lights and decorated homes when I was a kid, and my kids enjoy it also.

But these things are horrible.

We have 3.  Christmas Yoda, Christmas Darth Vader and R2D2 with C3PO, Christmas-style.  Don't care if anyone likes or hates them because they make me smile when I get home. 

Usually tacky. I also think my step mom's plastic 1970s Mickey and Minnie Christmas light up monstrosities are worse but she rolls those mfers out every year.

Users who are viewing this thread