What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ravioli or Perogies? (1 Viewer)

Ravioli or Perogies

• Ravioli

Votes: 46 62.2%
  • Perogies

Votes: 28 37.8%

• Total voters
Potatoe, cheese and bacon perogies made by a local Baba, baked in butter with onions and mushrooms topped with a dollop of sour cream. I just got hard.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reminds me.  I need to hit up a wonderful Polish place in my old neighborhood soon.  Authentic Polish perogies baked in butter are the lord's work.

I do remember one time my step mom's Mom ( Polish) made a big batch of homemade pierogi for Christmas Eve and I loaded up my plate and they were the worst ####### blandest thing I've ever eaten in my life and I just kept stuffing my fat face lying about how good the were.  Probably the most disappointed I've ever been in my life except maybe they time I was at  PNC park and I saw a sign for Pierogi but couldn't find any Pierogi stand

But given the choice, which do you eat first, so-so pierogis or so-so ravioli?
This is where I am torn. I don't think you can make a pierogi great, but the cheap ones are still prettt good. Had some for dinner tonight, put some leftover bbq beef and melted some cheese on top. Not bad for a meal made in 10 hangry minutes. Cheap ravioli though? Blegh.

I do remember one time my step mom's Mom ( Polish) made a big batch of homemade pierogi for Christmas Eve and I loaded up my plate and they were the worst ####### blandest thing I've ever eaten in my life and I just kept stuffing my fat face lying about how good the were.  Probably the most disappointed I've ever been in my life except maybe they time I was at  PNC park and I saw a sign for Pierogi but couldn't find any Pierogi stand
When i was a kid i loved ravioli and my mom made excellent homemade sauce.  I ate dinner at a friends house one night (spaghetti, not ravs) and loaded my plate really high.... with the most disgusting, bland, boring, crap i had ever eaten in my life (still is the worst meal ever) :puke: .  I choked that stuff down and hated every bite.  Learned a valuable lesson that day to take a small portion if you dont know how good the cook is.

This is where I am torn. I don't think you can make a pierogi great, but the cheap ones are still prettt good. Had some for dinner tonight, put some leftover bbq beef and melted some cheese on top. Not bad for a meal made in 10 hangry minutes. Cheap ravioli though? Blegh.
10 minute perogies? You're doing it wrong.

I have never heard of baking perogies.  Always in a pan with butter, but would love to hear about the baking method.

When i was a kid i loved ravioli and my mom made excellent homemade sauce.  I ate dinner at a friends house one night (spaghetti, not ravs) and loaded my plate really high.... with the most disgusting, bland, boring, crap i had ever eaten in my life (still is the worst meal ever) :puke: .  I choked that stuff down and hated every bite.  Learned a valuable lesson that day to take a small portion if you dont know how good the cook is.
Have you ever went over your friend's house to eat and the food just aint no good?

Are these carbs? I love watching other people eat perogies and ravioli on DDD.  Think I saw an episode on Patty's Perogies last week.  100 different kinds.

Out in CA we eat salad.  Lots of kale.  Daughter took me to a new place to try their pizza.  Crust made from cauliflower.  My buddies in Chicago would choke at the thought..

I know.  Life is too short.  But my blood work came back great, so I got that going from me.   Which is nice.

As a 50% Polock I have to say I'm shocked and pleased at the comments ITT.  As a few others have said, my grandmother could cook up some serious perogies.  I consider myself a pretty decent cook and I'm ashamed to say I've never made these before.  Going to have to change that this weekend. 

I have never heard of baking perogies.  Always in a pan with butter, but would love to hear about the baking method.
Throw them in a covered casserole dish that is coated with butter. Add chopped onions and mushrooms. Stir in another spoon full of butter. Cook for 1.5 hours or so. Enjoy your delicious feast. The amount of butter you add determines whether they come out hard or soft. I always make them soft, wife likes them hard :unsure:

This question reduces to "meat" or "not-meat", which is not even a contest. Ravioli vs Potstickers would be a way better challenge (which potstickers should handily win, but at least we'd be in the same ballpark).

That's not to say I dislike perogies, but they're just a side dish.

This question reduces to "meat" or "not-meat", which is not even a contest. Ravioli vs Potstickers would be a way better challenge (which potstickers should handily win, but at least we'd be in the same ballpark).

That's not to say I dislike perogies, but they're just a side dish.
Pierogies can be you main dish.  I probably would have answered ravioli until I went to a Polish restaurant in the polish suburbs or Syracuse.    Home made pierogies are a revelation. 

The more I think about this, the more I realize that I wouldn't want to live in a world where you have to choose between the two.  

Pierogies can be you main dish.
I'm well aware that people claim that, and have had meals where this has been forced on me. But either there's no sausage, in which case I feel that something was missing, or there was sausage, in which case the perogies felt like a side dish. So perogies can be your main dish in the same way that elevator music could be the headline act at a concert.

I'm well aware that people claim that, and have had meals where this has been forced on me. But either there's no sausage, in which case I feel that something was missing, or there was sausage, in which case the perogies felt like a side dish. So perogies can be your main dish in the same way that elevator music could be the headline act at a concert.
In Italy, they'd say that we're crazy to think of ravioli, or any other pasta, as a main dish.  The pasta course is a secondi, or second appetizer.  

If the pierogie is good enough, I don't want to waste the space on kielbasa. 

In Italy, they'd say that we're crazy to think of ravioli, or any other pasta, as a main dish.  The pasta course is a secondi, or second appetizer.  

If the pierogie is good enough, I don't want to waste the space on kielbasa. 
This is my point. Even their meaty side dish is an appetizer for more meat. Wonderful! This whole idea of "bah, I don't need meat, just fill my plate up with potatoes" leaves me both bewildered and betrayed.

I think you're a shill for Big Potato.

Oh, and don't come back to me with "cheese ravioli". That's as much an abomination as tofurkey.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread