What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ruth's Chris is Amateur Hour (1 Viewer)

fantasycurse42

Footballguy Jr.
Had one very close to my hotel, ate there on convenience. 

This is a steakhouse for people who want to eat at a top notch meal, but don't understand what it is. The cost is comparable to far superior steakhouses. Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad meal, but it's a mediocre steakhouse at best. 

Baked Potato was the best part of my meal :kicksrock:

/rant

Had one very close to my hotel, ate there on convenience. 

This is a steakhouse for people who want to eat at a top notch meal, but don't understand what it is. The cost is comparable to far superior steakhouses. Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad meal, but it's a mediocre steakhouse at best. 

Baked Potato was the best part of my meal :kicksrock:

/rant
My sister booked one for a post college graduation meal.  I told her it was overpriced and with a little research we'd be able to find a local place that would provide a much more memorable meal.  She replied "but it's Ruth Chris!"  I told her to suit herself and will happily enjoy the above average meal I'm sure we'll have.

You're in California right now...and this was your pick?  They're fine excluding the price, but you're cheating yourself going there if you have money and appreciate food. 

Always thought it was terrible. I'd rather go to Outback...at least I can also get their pumpernickel bread and cheese fries which are better than anything Ruth's Chris offers.

My wife used to love a drink there so we'd wind up going a couple of times a year. I just stopped getting steak and moved over to lamb chops and was much happier. 

I used to go to the original one at Broad & Orleans with my dad and he was a regular there for years. After Katrina they - unlike the rest of us - did NOT rebuild. They shut down the original, left it to rot and moved the corporate HQ to Tampa. They were never the same and got more and more chainy. I largely have them on personal boycott unless I can't avoid it (like some party I'm invited to). Screw them.

Fyi to those who don't know it was originally 'Chris' steak house and then Ruth Fertel took it over with her husband, and because everyone knew it by the old name which had a good rep they merely added 'Ruth's' to signify it was the old place just under new ownership. 

Anyway again screw them.

Last edited by a moderator:
My friends like it, but we have a world renowned steakhouse here (Berns) and it's actually cheaper -- yet they want to go to RC for a night out. Last two times I've passed because I would just rather take my wife to bern's instead. 

RC isn't awful but they don't have great steak cooks in their kitchen. 

FFA never fails - :lmao:  

Ruth Chris is fine - I can't speak to pricing in other parts of the country but if I want to go to a nicer steakhouse then I have to pay 1.5-2.0 times more than what I get at RC.  And gtfo with comparing it to Longhorns or Outback.

Steak and potatoes is amateur hour. It's for people who want to tell others they paid for a top notch meal, but don't know what it is.

FFA never fails - :lmao:  

Ruth Chris is fine - I can't speak to pricing in other parts of the country but if I want to go to a nicer steakhouse then I have to pay 1.5-2.0 times more than what I get at RC.  And gtfo with comparing it to Longhorns or Outback.
I agree it's way way way better than outback. That's crazy talk. But it's still not comparable to an elite steakhouse and that's where their price points are. 

I agree it's way way way better than outback. That's crazy talk. But it's still not comparable to an elite steakhouse and that's where their price points are. 
Maybe I just don't search out these other steakhouses or maybe we don't have them (Atlanta) - we went to Keen's in NYC back in July and I'm pretty sure it was double what I pay at RC - granted it was a superior meal but that was to be expected.  

Maybe I just don't search out these other steakhouses or maybe we don't have them (Atlanta) - we went to Keen's in NYC back in July and I'm pretty sure it was double what I pay at RC - granted it was a superior meal but that was to be expected.  
Oh you are from Atlanta. Now I get it. 

Hmmm. I haven't seen that. We went to a nice place in NYC (name eludes me) and my wife and I dropped around 230-. Berns is usually that and RC is always a few bucks cheaper, like 210-215. 

Oh you are from Atlanta. Now I get it. 
From what I understand our restaurants are definitely subpar so maybe that's the problem.  I'm happy to try a steak place that is superior for the same price but I'm not aware of any.

Also, we really shouldn't listen to you because you are the moron who compared them to Longhorns which is ridiculous. ;)  

Hmmm. I haven't seen that. We went to a nice place in NYC (name eludes me) and my wife and I dropped around 230-. Berns is usually that and RC is always a few bucks cheaper, like 210-215. 
I think it's supposed to be the oldest steakhouse in NYC - @kutta and others in the NYC thread recommended it - I think FC did too.  It was great.  But to me comparing it to RC is like comparing RC to Longhorns - your expectations should be different.

From what I understand our restaurants are definitely subpar so maybe that's the problem.  I'm happy to try a steak place that is superior for the same price but I'm not aware of any.

Also, we really shouldn't listen to you because you are the moron who compared them to Longhorns which is ridiculous. ;)  
Honestly its not that far off. You get the Longhorn Porterhouse and its not far from the Ruths. Flemmings quality has dropped significantly and the best part of the meal there any more is the champagne flavored butter. 

FYI, you don't go to Keens for the steak, but for the mutton chop....and NYC prices are 2x Atlanta for any restaurant.  Ruth Chris NYC is as expensive as Keens.

Honestly its not that far off. You get the Longhorn Porterhouse and its not far from the Ruths. Flemmings quality has dropped significantly and the best part of the meal there any more is the champagne flavored butter. 
Maybe we have ####ty Longhorns and Outbacks but I never get steak at either of them.  Never been to Flemmings, not even sure if Atlanta has one.  There's a Morton's across the street from my office but never been.  There's two steakhouses in Atlanta that I've been to that I don't think are chains - Chops and Bones - both were really good but I'm thinking they are more in the Keen's/Shula's/etc. category than RC.

I think it's supposed to be the oldest steakhouse in NYC - @kutta and others in the NYC thread recommended it - I think FC did too.  It was great.  But to me comparing it to RC is like comparing RC to Longhorns - your expectations should be different.
Love Keen's, one of my favorites.

I've been to RC twice and it wasn't bad but I would never go back if I was paying for the meal. Definitely above Outback or Longhorn but at least those places know what they are, entry level steakhouses. RC thinks it's high end.

We used to go like 2 or 3 times a year to a NYC steakhouse but once I got a Big Green Egg, I'm happy to just grill at home. The last time I did a couple of Filet Mignons my wife said it might have been the best steak she ever had.

btw - for those in Dallas, we had a really good meal at The Ranch in Las Colinas last time we were down there.

FYI, you don't go to Keens for the steak, but for the mutton chop....and NYC prices are 2x Atlanta for any restaurant.  Ruth Chris NYC is as expensive as Keens.
That's what kutta suggested but I'm not big on mutton and it was probably a once in a lifetime trip so I felt like I should do the steak.  In hindsight maybe I should have pulled the trigger.   :kicksrock:

That's what kutta suggested but I'm not big on mutton and it was probably a once in a lifetime trip so I felt like I should do the steak.  In hindsight maybe I should have pulled the trigger.   :kicksrock:
It's not lamby...more a tangy steak than anything.  

I still have yet to order the mutton there.

Try a Ponderosa - AMAZING!

Seriously, if you come by one of Jeff Ruby's places, Cincy (The Precinct is my favorite), Louisville, somewhere in Indiana and soon to be in Columbus (YEAH!!!) give it a try.

I have not been to many nice restaurants but his are better than the few I have been to (RC's, Smith&Wollensky, Cameron Mitchell's, Michael Symon)

Absolute ridiculous. Outback > Ruths Chris??

I love going there. Find there food very good. Talk about overrated.....Morton's.

Try a Ponderosa - AMAZING!

Seriously, if you come by one of Jeff Ruby's places, Cincy (The Precinct is my favorite), Louisville, somewhere in Indiana and soon to be in Columbus (YEAH!!!) give it a try.

I have not been to many nice restaurants but his are better than the few I have been to (RC's, Smith&Wollensky, Cameron Mitchell's, Michael Symon)
Beef Perogi was much more helpful...

making a steak isnt the hard part, getting the highest quality of meat is.  There is a huge taste difference in an organic grass feed piece of beef

making a steak isnt the hard part, getting the highest quality of meat is.  There is a huge taste difference in an organic grass feed piece of beef
:goodposting:

I can grill a great steak at home but the difference in quality of cut compared to high end steakhouses is definitely noticeable. Smith and Wollensky used to be my favorite steakhouse but the quality in their cuts has dropped dramatically in the past 10 years or so, once they really started expanding, that's it not worth going there anymore.

@Capella - you ever go to Shula's?  Went once when I was down in Orlando on business.  Thought it was really good.
Shula's is solid, but if you're in Orlando and looking for a steak, head to Charley's Steakhouse (I like the iDrive location despite the area). Their "Fabulous" Filet (20oz Center Cut Filet - 2 per steer) is fork-tender excellence at $69.95 (if you're hungry). 

Each Steer is exclusively raised for us by Harris Ranch. “We know our Steers from the day they’re born”
No Antibiotics • No Hormones • Humane Treatment
USDA Prime & Choice Angus - 3 year old maturity range "A"

Aged 32-48 days for “flavor and tenderness”
Hand-cut on premises “by our managers only!”

Seasoned with fine ground sea salt, pepper and other secret seasonings 24 hours in advance to allow the natural flavors to blend, develop and bloom

1200° Cooked over Citrus & Oak wood fire in our custom built pits
Citrus wood is not readily available, so we cut our own

Ruth's Chris isn't still calling the filet their "signature" cut are they?

FWIW, I agree that there are far better premium steakhouses out there.  I also agree in the premium restaurant space, that steakhouses are pretty boring in comparison to more adventurous cooking. 

In before the "I make a much better steak at home than all of these places" guy.
I don't go to places like Ruth's Chris anymore.  I can get USDA Prime or Wagyu steaks from an incredible butcher shop I have near home and season/grill it exactly how I like for less than half of what a steakhouse charges.  I'm not saying it's better per se, but it's very comparable and WAY cheaper.

That said, I will always jump on a chance to go to a truly great steakhouse if the atmosphere and/or beef is special.  I dropped 2 bills at Luger's a couple of months ago with nary a regret.  I go to Bern's every chance I get.  That kind of place.  I haven't been to an Outback, Longhorn, or even a Ruth's Chris is over a decade.

I do still miss Arthur's Tavern in Hoboken/New Brunswick.  I don't know what they hell they used to do to their 24 oz. Delmonico, but that steak had a flavor that was unparalleled.  Fatty as all get out, but that's probably what made it so good.

In before the "I make a much better steak at home than all of these places" guy.
While I agree that guy is ridiculous I can go to Costco and get 4 ribeyes/Filets for less than $40 and grill them up and they taste dynamite.  To take my family of 4 to a nice steak joint with sides and a couple of drinks is $300.  While the steak house is slightly better not enough to justify the price difference.

With that being said I occasionally like going to a fancy steak joint as a treat.  But I'd much rather go out for seafood or thai food.  Something that's not easily replicated by a decent backyard cook.

Only thing I was saying is you can either have:

A) an equivalent meal for much cheaper

or

B) a far superior meal for an equivalent price 

If you want an excellent alternative, Fogo de Chao is similarly priced and they have locations around the country. This is a Brazilian steak house so they walk around the restaurant offering you all different kinds of selections of meat. I was amazed at the quality of beef and thought it was much better than Ruth Chris. All you can eat too.

I put RC a cut above Outback, but below finer steakhouses - in Phoenix, that would be a Mastro's or BLT Steak (recently closed).  I like RC's steaks, but they use too much butter imo.  RC's prices are a notch below fine dining steakhouses, but on par with other chains - Flemings, Mortons, Capital Grill.  I think people put RC at the bottom of the list of chain steakhouses because their nationwide success and many locations makes it seem less of a fine dining experience. 

Edited to add:  Also, it's very difficult for anyone cooking at home to replicate the quality and preparation of a steakhouse steak (RC or otherwise).  It's not just the fine, aged beef (which is hard to get), but it's also the 1800 degree infrared ovens that cook the steak that most people don't have at home. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread