What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Conservatives - Your Most Liberal Viewpoint; Liberals - Your Most Conservative Viewpoint (1 Viewer)

mquinnjr

Footballguy
Saw this on Reddit today, fantastic thread idea for the FFA post-election. My main takeaways from the responses were that people vote for what matters most to them, but are hindered with the burden of the rest of the traditional 2-party viewpoints that personally, they might not actually believe in.

Moderate Conservative: Legalize weed and tax it, gay marriage fine, universal healthcare good.

Go, and Happy Friday!

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't suppose this is a "conservative view" but I would trade a broader, less progressive tax base for a more robust social safety net as they do in Europe. 

Raging Liberal: Non-citizens who entered the U.S. illegally and are convicted of crimes should be deported

Also, marriage is important and plays a vital role in the health and well-being of children, so we should work to expand it (for both gays and straights)

Single issue voter (pro-life).   Staunchly  anti-capital punishment and  believe we need massive prison reform. 

Conservative -

Stricter gun control, ban assault weapons.

Legalize marijuana, tax it bigly.

Go get married gays. 

I'm a registered Democrat but dont always vote that way.

I am ultra socially liberal.  People should pretty much be able to ####, marry whoever they want without ridicule or hate.  The environment and global warming is an important issue.  Lawmakers should not be trying to tell women what to do with their bodies, etc.

As for my more Conservative views: I am generally in favor of the death penalty. I don't think college tuition should be free if taxpayers have to foot the bill.  I think Affirmative Action as its currently implemented is horrible and people should get into schools/jobs based solely on their ability.  While I think the idea of a wall is silly, I lean slightly Conservative on illegal immigration issues.   I also don't want to take away people's guns because I don't think that would solve anything.  I'm not sure which one of these is the "most" conservative.

Conservative/libertarian - most gov't transfers are middle class ones. We should do away with the emphasis on funding higher ed for the middle class and expand the safety net for the truly poor. A basic income guarantee is a way to start.

Eta* Also weirdly pro-squatting in unused urban buildings (contra, to some degree, to property rights and all of that, adverse possession notwithstanding and not really on point here.)

I consider myself a moderate though fall to left side of just about every social issue. My most conservative views are around budgets and taxes. I think we need to overhaul the tax system away from income-based to more of a consumption and wealth tax model, and VAT taxes as opposed to the current corporate tax mess. I favor strong budget controls like PAYGO, which is fiscally conservative position that happens to align currently more Democrats than Republicans (it will be one of the first thing Trump gets rid of, just like Bush did because he won't be able to pass tax cuts with those rules in place). 

BIG, legalize drugs, end death penalty, and need a massive overhaul to all social safety net programs merging almost all of them into one massive program, VA disability benefits need to be quadrupled across the board and the regs regarding same need to be changed so that the total burden of proof is on the administration and not the vet and there is a presumption of disability for all vets so applying.

I have more I'm sure.

One of each?  As a more fiscally conservative and somewhat socially liberal on the spectrum...

Most Liberal (beyond the easy basic civil rights for all):  Anti Death Penalty

Conservative:  Fiscally Id say a want to actually be conservative and balance the budget...the liberal side of it is that I am fine with small tax increases if its met by actual attempts to cut spending (not just cuts in each yearly increase to the budget and call that a spending cut).

I'm a registered Democrat but dont always vote that way.

I am ultra socially liberal.  People should pretty much be able to ####, marry whoever they want without ridicule or hate.  The environment and global warming is an important issue.  Lawmakers should not be trying to tell women what to do with their bodies, etc.

As for my more Conservative views: I am generally in favor of the death penalty. I don't think college tuition should be free if taxpayers have to foot the bill.  I think Affirmative Action as its currently implemented is horrible and people should get into schools/jobs based solely on their ability.  While I think the idea of a wall is silly, I lean slightly Conservative on illegal immigration issues.   I also don't want to take away people's guns because I don't think that would solve anything.  I'm not sure which one of these is the "most" conservative.
This is about where I stand too, although I float a bit on the death penalty.

The commerce clause is a joke and government is way too big because of it.  If you want to drain the swamp, you don't need term limits, you need to cut back on the ridiculous amount of money these guys control.

There should be constitutional amendments required to put massive new programs in place.

Once we have them though we shouldn't half ### it. Fund the programs fully and don't have a tug of war every two years.

Tax cuts don't necessarily equal more jobs, result in economic growth, or pay for themselves.
Agreed

Reagan rate cuts were needed, but so was the 1986 tax reform which raised taxes (and screwed over real estate developers like Trump)

the economy was strong enough to absorb the Clinton increases

Bush cuts were needed, but should have been allowed to expire

I believe we are firmly on the left side of the Laffer curve and should not act as if we are on the right hand side

I used to consider my support of free trade more consistent with conservatives than liberals, but I don't really know which side supports free trade these days.

Try to be middle but lean right.

Gay marriage and abortion should not be a political topic. Also believe in the right to die. Agree that immigration should be controlled and "legal" but think the wall  is stupid and wish Trump would stop talking about it.

Liberal. I think women should be subservient to men and cater to our every whim.

Actual answer- support expanded domestic natural gas production, including fracking if regulated properly.  Also not a fan of nanny laws like smoking bans in bars and restaurants (let the free market decide) and soda taxes (regressive, countless better ways to raise revenue and discourage consumption).

Agreed

Reagan rate cuts were needed, but so was the 1986 tax reform which raised taxes (and screwed over real estate developers like Trump)

the economy was strong enough to absorb the Clinton increases

Bush cuts were needed, but should have been allowed to expire

I believe we are firmly on the left side of the Laffer curve and should not act as if we are on the right hand side
This is what is funny to me when people either support or deride the Laffer Curve - both only focus on the side that supports their argument.

I am generally conservative, but am anti-death penalty and also hold views that currently illegal drugs should be regulated and taxed.  I suppose some of my views on education lean liberal as well, but that is because I am on a school board of a district with high free reduced lunch demographics.

I'm a globalist open borders PC spouting libtard filled with white guilt. 

I believe in the free market as a general rule, but I don't mind government intervention and bailouts (such as what Obama did to GM and Trump with Carrier.) 

How about entitlement reform.  I'm all for it.  Isn't that a conservative viewpoint?
Yes and no - it depends on the "entitlement."  And we need to get rid of that word anyway.  Health care, unemployment insurance, some form of retirement protect and the slew of other domestic spending policies aren't entitlements, they are just good government.

Our problem is that we are using the wrong words to describe an archaic system that doesn't do what it is intended to do in the sense that it doesn't solve a problem it just creates more.  And it doesn't need to.  Right now, there is almost no fundamental difference between the ultimate policy goals of Medicare, Medicaid, Social Security Retirement Income, Social Security Disability Income, Unemployment Insurance, Food Stamps, TANF, welfare, housing assistance, Section 8 vouchers and all the rest of them.  They all pretty much do the same basic policy thing - help less fortunate and low income people get some assistance either on a temporary or permanent basis so that we don't have dead bodies in the streets like some kind of dystopian recall to 14th century France.  The ideal of all of these programs is a necessary good.  The devil is always in the details.

But they bump into each other so much now, and end up hurting the very people they are trying to help, that they have become logistical problems.  I've posted before about a single mom I know that would love to go to school or work or get job training and make money and pay taxes and everything else.  But if she takes any positive step forward to do that, she loses the current group of benefits she gets making it impossible for her to feed her kids and give them a home.  We should strive to be better than that and no matter what the tax rate is we have the wealth to do it.

It's time to fully realize what the social safety net is.  It's not an entitlement.  It's good government and it's purely American in its romantic goal, it's just not in its practical application.  And there is an easy fix - logistically but not politically.  We need to merge them all into one program.  The ACA, Medicare, Medicaid, SSI, SSID, TANF, UI, and the whole rest of them need to be one program that provides basic preventative and emergency health care to all citizens and their children; basic retirement benefits to all citizens at a certain age; basic levels of gap coverage so that if they are receiving the benefit they can still get a job or training or education in a certain time frame and not lose the benefit.

And frankly, the best way to make it all work is the BIG and the Fair Tax coupled with it.  Turn the federal economy into a usage tax base, give everyone a basic living wage in lieu of all the various programs that are out there, and you can gut well over half of the social safety net, consolidate the rest, and turn the economy into one that churns when it is used, instead of penalized when it succeeds.  All great politician speak, but I firmly believe it.  We could fundamentally alter the basic administration of government within 10 years if we did all this and have a solid social safety base, an economy that feeds itself constantly, and remove the daily political football wrangling of tax policy and domestic spending policy into a neat one program application that is easy to understand and use for everyone. 

And yeah, taxes might need to go up a little on people like me.  I'm ok with that.  But not with the current system(s).  They are a waste of money and they create and nurture a cycle of dependence that is impossible to get out of for most people of limited means, education and ability.  And it's just wrong and stupid.  Rich people don't need tax cuts - they need people to buy their services and products.  They need a middle class and a functional underclass that is active in the economy.  That is what built our greatest economic growth periods and we can do it again and make it sustainable long term if we stop fighting the battles of the New Deal and the War on Poverty with the language of the 80's and the technology of the 21st century. 

You could double my taxes if concomitant with that I see a doubling of my paying client base.  I end up making more.  I then end up spending more, and then other people make more.  It's really not that hard.

Is this liberal or conservative?

The government should offer public assistance "bonuses" to women who volunteer to be given norplant or depo-provera (or even fitted with an IUD).  You want a 25% increase in your AFDC or food stamps or whatever for the next 3 months?  Come down to the clinic and let us plug your birdbath.  

Cliff Clavin said:
Liberal. Extremely pro death penalty
Me too.  I'd expand the death penalty to child rapists and maybe even serial rapists in general and I'd like to see the death torturous and painful....medieval if you will.

This liberal would also like welfare recipients to be on some form of birth control.  Stop breeding if you can't afford the feeding.  

I lean moderate conservative.  My views....

Liberal:

Pro-abortion, pro-alternative marriage, pro-assault weapon bans, pro-environmental protection

Middle:

Civil rights based on equality (no preferential status based on any discriminatory trait), minimal healthcare for all

Conservative:

Fiscal policy (reduce debt), Strong military, tougher border control and legal immigration, death penaly, entitlements (food stamps, etc.) are earned by donating "time" to gov't (state) projects, with those who do more earning more

Me too.  I'd expand the death penalty to child rapists and maybe even serial rapists in general and I'd like to see the death torturous and painful....medieval if you will.

This liberal would also like welfare recipients to be on some form of birth control.  Stop breeding if you can't afford the feeding.  

I'd expand it to many, many things; rapists, drunk drivers taking lives, habitual violent offenders, etc.

And completely agree. On welfare? Mandatory birth control. 

Most conservative: give everyone their Social Security money at age 55. All of it, every penny, with interest.

Most liberal: build public hospitals and medical clinics with federally funded physicians and medical staff, and provide free health care, period.

Users who are viewing this thread