What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Brand Spanking new ***OFFICIAL*** Ohio State Buckeyes thread! (3 Viewers)

First time I saw that.  On the 5 minute drive to my parents we got down 14-0.  Based on the letter of the law, ya maybe that's targeting, but it doesn't seem that bad just watching it.  We could probably suspend more than 1 player if we reviewed the game in that light.

First time I saw that.  On the 5 minute drive to my parents we got down 14-0.  Based on the letter of the law, ya maybe that's targeting, but it doesn't seem that bad just watching it.  We could probably suspend more than 1 player if we reviewed the game in that light.
The refs aren't suppose to call it based on whether it does or doesn't seem that bad. It's not targeting when it's incidental. Happens all the time in the lines. But when a player lowers his head to hit the ball with the crown of his helmet, then yes, it's targeting, even if it doesn't seem that bad. Obviously it was bad enough to knock him out of the game.  

I still can't believe our Buckeyes won that game!  I've watched it two more times and it was just a great comeback.  I read someone say in one of the threads "well, the Buckeyes just got lucky" and I have to laugh at that.  If you watched even part of that game the only luck we had was bad luck.  2 turnovers, the worst kickoffs I've seen a Buckeye team have in years, 10 penalties for 79 yards (and if anyone has the gall to say home cooking or home field advantage is certifiably insane) at least 4 dropped balls, and on and on.  It was a gutsy effort by a bunch of kids that played their a##es off and never gave up. 

Yes JT played out of his mind but he had TONS of time thanks to great offensive line play, the defensive line played amazingly and Dobbins is underrated.  The receivers dropped some balls early but redeemed themselves later on so it was an all around great effort.  And special teams, while almost costing the game, can be argued made the play of the game with the blocked punt after that JT fumble making that huge momentum shift, I think that play was a shot of "well, we're not quite dead yet."  That was pretty awesome.

Having said all that, this PSU team was much better than I thought.  I mean, I watched them against scUM and I was worried but deep down, I thought well, our Buckeyes were going to win by 10.  And I'm not trying to be an arrogant homer when I say that.  You see I thought that because that scUM game was such a battle that I figured PSU would be more beat up and fatigued plus tOSU was coming off a bye week so I was thinking they would have more time to heal and recover.  Next, the game was at the shoe and no player, coach nor fan has forgotten that heartbreaking loss from last year.  So, in my mind with all that preparation time, motivation and home field advantage, I thought our Bucks would have put them away early and not looked back, so hats off to PSU, what an amazing game!

GO BUCKS!!!

Everything I have read indicates it was a perfect recruiting weekend.  I had expected to see a #Boom or 2 this weekend, but as long as it comes, I guess we cannot get too greedy.  Anthony Cook, previously thought to be announcing he would in fact choose Texas today, has decided to delay his decision.  Seems to be good for tOSU in that case.  He had been a strong Buckeye lean for a year.

Last edited by a moderator:
11yr old son and I were bored yesterday, so we opted to watch the game again.  We got to the Paris hit/fumble, and he looks at me and says "Can't we just fast forward to the 4th quarter?  That was the best part!"  :thumbup:

Should be noted that during the 2nd quarter and PSU TDs, he was visiblly crying and saying "They lost! They lost!"  I kept trying to calm him, but no luck.  By the end of the game he was yelling and shouting "Go Bucks!  I knew we'd win!"   :lmao:

11yr old son and I were bored yesterday, so we opted to watch the game again.  We got to the Paris hit/fumble, and he looks at me and says "Can't we just fast forward to the 4th quarter?  That was the best part!"  :thumbup:

Should be noted that during the 2nd quarter and PSU TDs, he was visiblly crying and saying "They lost! They lost!"  I kept trying to calm him, but no luck.  By the end of the game he was yelling and shouting "Go Bucks!  I knew we'd win!"   :lmao:
The woman next to me was talking to her husband about leaving after the band show.  I told her "if you leave now you will miss a great comeback."  She almost left again after the interception reversal.  She turned to me and said "I thought you said we'd come back".  I replied, "I'm not worried yet...plenty of time."  She ended up staying 'til the end.  

The woman next to me was talking to her husband about leaving after the band show.  I told her "if you leave now you will miss a great comeback."  She almost left again after the interception reversal.  She turned to me and said "I thought you said we'd come back".  I replied, "I'm not worried yet...plenty of time."  She ended up staying 'til the end.  
I have told my son that it's as sure as the sky is blue and grass is green, in a big gametOSU plays down the 1st half of the game and then blows the roof off the place in the 2nd half.  It's been that way since I was a kid.  

I have rewatched the 4th quarter twice now.  Once with my wife and then once with my 2 other kids that did not see it the first time.  :excited:

That tackle by Hubbard gets a great reaction every time.  JT's poise is just fantastic the more you watch it.  He stood in there and delivered a great pass know he would get hit a number of times.

That tackle by Hubbard gets a great reaction every time.
Classic!  He took on both just to make sure neither got past him.  What a fantastic play!

The open field tackle on Barkley (by Baker?) was a big game play as well.  If he missed that tackle, Barkley is off and running for a TD.

Having said all that, this PSU team was much better than I thought.  I mean, I watched them against scUM and I was worried but deep down, I thought well, our Buckeyes were going to win by 10.  And I'm not trying to be an arrogant homer when I say that.  You see I thought that because that scUM game was such a battle that I figured PSU would be more beat up and fatigued plus tOSU was coming off a bye week so I was thinking they would have more time to heal and recover.  Next, the game was at the shoe and no player, coach nor fan has forgotten that heartbreaking loss from last year.  So, in my mind with all that preparation time, motivation and home field advantage, I thought our Bucks would have put them away early and not looked back, so hats off to PSU, what an amazing game!
Immediately after the game, I felt PSU was much better than I thought too.

However, after having analyzed the game, PSU is good, but not nearly as great as OSU. 

PSU's 38 points is a great score, but 55% of their scoring (21 out of the 38) wasn't really a good representation of the PSU offense. They came from three major OSU mistakes: 1) The kickoff return for the TD; 2) the (missed targeting) fumble by OSU giving the ball to PSU at the OSU 23; and 3) the kickoff return to the OSU 23. Those mistakes by OSU allowed PSU to put 21 points on the board, but it came from only 46 yards of offense and 3 minutes and 37 seconds of the game clock. The other 27 minutes and 16 seconds PSU had the ball, they produced only 237 yards. It was composed of 10 drives, only 3 of which (30%) ended in scores (2 TDs, and 1 FG).

OSU on the other hand only had one drive that started in PSU territory (after the blocked punt). That mistake on PSU allowed OSU to put 7 points on the board from only 41 yards of offense and only 34 seconds of the game clock. The other 28 minutes and 33 seconds they had the ball, they produced 488 yards of offense.  It was composed of 12 drives, 6 of which (50%) ended in scores (4 TDs and 2 FGs). 

Compare the teams production when they weren't capitalizing on the other team's mistakes:

PSU: 10 drives, 237 yards, 2 TDs, 1 FG (24 yards per drive, and 30% of drives ended in scores)

OSU: 12 drives, 488 yards, 4 TDs, 2 FG (41 yards per drive, and 50% of drives ended in scores)

Yes OSU, made more major mistakes than PSU did, and that's why the score was so close, but it was because OSU was a much better team than PSU that they were able to overcome those mistake to win. 

That said, kudos to PSU for NOT making mistakes (other than the blocked punt).... and OSU won't be able to overcome mistakes in the playoff. They've got to clean that #### up!!!! 

PS - I agree to a certain extent but I just felt, for as much time as our Buckeyes had, I was disappointed in the sloppiness on tOSU's part vs PSU playing pretty solid ball.  I agree though, for the most part our Buckeye's D played very solid, the numbers don't lie and the score clearly doesn't tell the whole story. 

So I told my son and my brother after the game "Damn, tOSU beat two teams tonight, PSU AND themselves, not a bad night!"  And they overcame some pretty inconsistent calls on the field.  Honestly, I try to never be "that" guy that blames the refs but it was such an inconsistently called game.  If they're too aggressive for pass interference or holding or whatever, that's fine, just be consistent to both teams but it drives me crazy when it's not consistent on both sides.  And I want to be fair because, to me, it's almost worse to win a game with all the calls in your favor because then the game play is overshadowed by talk of "the fix" and all that non-sense.

I'd been thinking that a 5 or 6 ranking would be perfect for motivation and focus,  but overall the rankings seem off.  That said,  maybe that little ##### Mayfield will stop crying like a baby now and he can go ahead and lose another game.   

I suspect Notre Dame and Oklahoma will both lose in the near future- Ohlahoma this weekend, Notre Dame at Stanford. Either way, we'll get in if we win out.

Tecumseh said:
I suspect Notre Dame and Oklahoma will both lose in the near future- Ohlahoma this weekend, Notre Dame at Stanford. Either way, we'll get in if we win out.
If we win out, I don't see how the comittee leaves out the B1G Champ this year.  They took too much heat last year when PSU was left out for tOSU.  I would imagine that if a one-loss tOSU team is the B1G Champ, they will make it into the Final 4.  

With that said, this season may provide a reason/excuse to expand the CFP format to include 6 or 8 teams, with a potential 2 team from SEC and/or a ND team taking spaces from the Power 5 conferences.  There may be enough squeaky wheels to make the change after this season.

OSU offers QB Jarren Williams, anticipating Emory Jones decommitting in the near future. :popcorn:

OSU offers QB Jarren Williams, anticipating Emory Jones decommitting in the near future. :popcorn:
Enlighten us about Mr Williams. 

BTW I was one of the guys that was saying I was pumping the brakes on this team and JT until they beat someone of significance. Obviously a great win on Saturday and an amazing game by JT. Hoping this translates to the rest of the season.

Enlighten us about Mr Williams. 

BTW I was one of the guys that was saying I was pumping the brakes on this team and JT until they beat someone of significance. Obviously a great win on Saturday and an amazing game by JT. Hoping this translates to the rest of the season.
Jarren Williams has actually been given a higher ceiling than almost any other QB in this class a few places I have been.  That Elite 11 show had Jarren with Trevor Lawrence on the same team and Jarren was the star and the one that pretty much ran the show for that team until, from what I read, producers made the coach play Lawrence, so he did not look so bad.  Better physical phenom than Jones.  Jones seems flaky.  He committed early last year with a big video, but has been very active in taking visits, which is fine, but just seems to, well, be a teenager, which they all are. :shrug:   I think OSU got tired of his antics and said, OK, we are fine going in this direction, too.

There's your classic trap letdown game.

How was that not intentional grounding on the Bosa targeting play? Game turned right there as it move down the chains deep into OSU territory. Boot him and replay the down. JT with some costly int's don't help either.

What an embarrassing game. I understand the letdown potential with Penn State last week and MSU coming up, but to give up 55 to Iowa (Iowa!) is unacceptable.

They can still win the Big Ten but the playoffs are out.

Well,  saved myself some hours watching that.  Working on house renovation stuff all day,  planning on watching the game tonight.  Ended up taking the family to a cool indoor race track and dinner.   So great night.   Gonna delete that bad boy from the DvR.

Well,  saved myself some hours watching that.  Working on house renovation stuff all day,  planning on watching the game tonight.  Ended up taking the family to a cool indoor race track and dinner.   So great night.   Gonna delete that bad boy from the DvR.
Taped it while at a birthday party. Went to dinner afterwards and saw the score was 48-something. Deleted it the second I came in the door.

I hope this means that your partisan, thin-skinned homerism will continue unabated. 

I'm a Hawkeye fan but I was somewhat stunned by that game.  I thought OSU may have a letdown, but I figured they would win a fairly close game, say like 24-17.  Not sure what happened.  Ferentz is a very good coach but we dont have the athletes that the Buckeyes do.  I would just chalk it up to a predictable and understandable letdown after that big victory the week before.

College football is a crazy game, tough to figure out sometimes.

I'm hoping our Bucks win out, beating ttun and ending up with a 10-2 record, if not, oh well, I'll still root on my Buckeyes!  I watched the game, the only thing that struck me was that I felt like I've seen this pattern in three or four games now.  This game in Iowa, the OK game and the Sparty game from two years ago where we try to be a passing team first which supplements with runs.  I think we're a running team that supplements with passes myself, but, I'm just some dork behind his desk in a comfy chair, wtf do I know?  I'm not an expert but 11 runs isn't enough.  At the same time, when you're trailing most the game by two or three scores, it's hard to establish the run. 

Having said all that, I cannot believe this was the same defensive line that played so spectacularly last week, I cannot believe how differently they played from last week, that was very disappointing. 

Congrats to the Hawkeyes, you beat the pants off us fair and square.  I like Kirk Ferentz, he seems like an older version of Jim Tressel to me and I mean that as a compliment, I liked Jim Tressel a lot, I think history will unfortunately make him out to be something he was not.  I think he was a very good guy trying to cover for his guys but all that is for another thread.

Hopefully our Buckeyes will stop drinking the rat poison, get out there and get some more wins starting with Sparty.  Let's GO BUCKS!!!

All you can do is move forward now.  Beat MSU this weekend, and then a warm up game vs Illinois for the B1G title game vs Michigan.  Hoping for a great showing vs Illinois, since I have 8 tickets and am taking my family, daughter's fiance, brother in law and nephew to that one. :excited:   Coming back home for Thanksgiving and looking forward to a couple of runs in the metro parks.  Love me a good 6-7 mile run at Highbanks at last once.

Does anyone periodically watch ticket prices?  Wondering if the MSU game, or probably more so the ILL game, have come down in asking prices.  Might be a good opportunity to take the kid down to a game at a reasonable price.  Haven't been down since 2011 when he was 6 years old.  I think I bought those off Ebay.  When we went to the 37-7 thrashing of UM in 2010, I bought those right outside the front gate shortly after kickoff.

Does anyone periodically watch ticket prices?  Wondering if the MSU game, or probably more so the ILL game, have come down in asking prices.  Might be a good opportunity to take the kid down to a game at a reasonable price.  Haven't been down since 2011 when he was 6 years old.  I think I bought those off Ebay.  When we went to the 37-7 thrashing of UM in 2010, I bought those right outside the front gate shortly after kickoff.
Read an article that MSU tickets were very low, and that was last week.  I cannot imagine the Illinois tickets being much.  I was lucky and got those at face value with the whole contributing alumni deal which is very nice.

Read an article that MSU tickets were very low, and that was last week.  I cannot imagine the Illinois tickets being much.  I was lucky and got those at face value with the whole contributing alumni deal which is very nice.
Looking now...ILL tickets are pretty low.  What is face value?  

For you guys that frequent the Shoe, any favorite places to sit deck wise or endzones or whatever? 

For the UM game we were 30 yd line in the B deck, pretty nice, slightly under the overhang iirc....the band came and played on our aisle right next to us which was pretty cool.  For Colorado, we were A deck, but near the corner by the end zone.  

Looking now...ILL tickets are pretty low.  What is face value?  

For you guys that frequent the Shoe, any favorite places to sit deck wise or endzones or whatever? 

For the UM game we were 30 yd line in the B deck, pretty nice, slightly under the overhang iirc....the band came and played on our aisle right next to us which was pretty cool.  For Colorado, we were A deck, but near the corner by the end zone.  
Face value for mine, which were higher up, were like $60 a ticket.

Where should I be pinpointing for a decent place to park when I get down there?  Somewhere off W. Lane east of the stadium?  Don't need to be super close, willing to walk 10-15 min or whatever.  Planning to arrive around 10-10:30.

Where should I be pinpointing for a decent place to park when I get down there?  Somewhere off W. Lane east of the stadium?  Don't need to be super close, willing to walk 10-15 min or whatever.  Planning to arrive around 10-10:30.
Depends on which direction you are coming from. 

I come from the northwest side and park on west campus. They provide shuttles that take you to the bridge the crosses the Olentangy at the two towers. Get off the shuttle, walk over the bridge and voila, you're right at the south west corner of the stadium. 

Depends on which direction you are coming from. 

I come from the northwest side and park on west campus. They provide shuttles that take you to the bridge the crosses the Olentangy at the two towers. Get off the shuttle, walk over the bridge and voila, you're right at the south west corner of the stadium. 
I'll be shooting down 71 from Cleveland.  I'll take a look at west campus parking.

Wish I could be there this week.  Tickets are cheap and shame on students for selling them after 2 losses.  They suck.  Go and cheer the team on, snowflakes. :hot:

Still, we will be 8 strong next week on the 18th. 

Wish I could be there this week.  Tickets are cheap and shame on students for selling them after 2 losses.  They suck.  Go and cheer the team on, snowflakes. :hot:

Still, we will be 8 strong next week on the 18th. 
Let me tell you something, years ago I commented on a thread on a Buckeye site how I thought it was shameful that "fans" left a game early that tOSU was losing and I got ripped a new one.  My point was that there was still time left, it was a close game, root on the home team, etc.   Holy crap did I get an earful.  It didn't change my opinion about that but I just keep it to myself now. . . mostly.

Come on,  announce the kickoff for nex week already. Hoping for a 330 time instead of noon since we get in at 1am.

You're in town next week? I'd love to cornhole you, if you know what I mean. 
I will be in town from Saturday to Friday,  but unless you want to meet for a run in the morning,  I'm booked with family stuff straight through.  Bringing my whole family and daughter's fiancee to be with my mom and siblings there for thanksgiving and stuff.

330 kick off, yes!  

As crazy as it is,  if Alabama, Oklahoma and Miami win out and Ohio State does as well, I think they will be in the CFP.

As crazy as it is,  if Alabama, Oklahoma and Miami win out and Ohio State does as well, I think they will be in the CFP.
A couple paths started to open up this weekend with ND and Georgia losing, and the PAC Lite eliminating themselves (that was inevitable). 

Does anyone know anything about watching the team walk from St Johns to the stadium?   We have always done the skull session but thinking maybe standing as the team passes might be cool. 

Users who are viewing this thread