What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** Official Fake News Thread **** Who's to Blame? (1 Viewer)

Zegras11

Footballguy
http://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-ed/la-oe-van-susteren-fake-news-20161205-story.html

Greta Van Susteren

When the problem of fake news first started making headlines, I was traveling across Southeast Asia and the Middle East. That vantage point provided a striking contrast: While we in America waste the right to a free press, half a world away, the right is so precious that people routinely risk their lives to support it.

In nations where media are state run or state approved, journalists who try to work independently are often threatened, arrested and even shot or beheaded. To simply be harassed is a good day. In Turkey since the July coup, for example, the government has detained at least 200 journalists, and, according to Punto 24, a Turkish nonprofit devoted to press freedom, more than 2,300 have been fired. On Nov. 11 in Egypt, four reporters were detained when they tried to cover economic protests. In places like Myanmar, it’s risky to list your profession as “journalist.” I said, instead, I was a lawyer.

Fake news is hardly a new phenomenon... What is new is a propensity for large segments of society to believe things that are clearly untrue.

Without a doubt, the proliferation of fake news in the United States is a problem. But when I hear calls to shut down or block websites or censor what people can read or watch, my 1st Amendment hackles rise. A free press is fundamental to a free society, and curtailing it is an even bigger threat to our way of life than fake news. Besides, banning content won’t solve anything.

Fake news is hardly a new phenomenon. For decades, Americans have had an appetite for fringe stories, from grassy knoll conspiracy theories surrounding the Kennedy assassination to the alien secrets of Area 51 and the baseless notion that 9/11 was an inside job. We sometimes want truth to be stranger than fiction.

What is new is a propensity for large segments of society to believe things that are clearly untrue. Pope Francis wouldn’t and didn’t endorse Donald Trump. An FBI agent involved with Hillary Clinton’s email investigation wasn’t found dead in a murder-suicide. These memes were launched by specious Internet sites as satire or were put out as purposeful misinformation. Their spread could have been halted by a more skeptical public.

But we delude ourselves if we think that this problem originates only with online trolls and heedless consumers in the thrall of the Internet and social media.

Consider one of the bigger fake news stories of this decade — that a low-budget online video making fun of Islam and the prophet Muhammad spontaneously sparked the violent protest at the U.S. facilities in Benghazi, Libya, on Sept. 11, 2012, and led to the deaths of four Americans, including the U.S. ambassador to Libya. 

This was the story initially pushed by key members of the Obama administration, including the White House national security advisor, and accepted by much of the mainstream American media. Throughout September 2012, President Obama himself repeatedly cited the “extremely offensive video” made by a “sort of shadowy character” as the cause or proximate cause of the attack — to David Letterman, to Univision’s Jorge Ramos and to Joy Behar of “The View.” We’ve since learned from then-Secretary of State Hillary Clinton’s private email to her daughter, Chelsea, on the night of the attack that Clinton believed the violence was the work of “an al-Qaeda-like group.” It wasn’t a reporter who uncovered that fact but a U.S. congressional committee.

Forcing Facebook to change its newsfeed algorithm or shutting down websites won’t fix fundamental problems like this. 

For Americans to pay attention to real news, newsrooms have to supply it. Too often today, newsrooms are like courtrooms. Reporters, editors and anchors cast themselves as prosecutors or defense attorneys, building a case for or against a story line and molding the evidence to fit their argument. (Some even anoint themselves as judge and jury and explicitly render a verdict after that.)

Reporters must ask tough questions and go where the answers, rather than their preconceptions, lead them. Recall that in the run-up to the Iraq war, the New York Times breathlessly reported on Saddam Hussein’s extensive programs to create weapons of mass destruction. After the invasion, many of these claims could not be substantiated. 

Real reporting is detective work, trying to get to the bottom of a story or event. That requires skepticism and patience. If a reporter is going to be an advocate, he or she should play devil’s advocate — and do it with every source, on all sides.

Part of the reason fake news is so easy to believe is that fringe stories no longer read or sound all that different from too many of the real stories. Too often, both have little or no sourcing; they lack context and they get disseminated with almost no fact-checking. Sometimes the fake stories look, sound or read better than real ones. And both are chasing the same thing: ratings or online clicks.

There’s a reason our Founding Fathers explicitly guaranteed freedom of the press in the 1st Amendment. It is imperative for a free and healthy society. Just ask the journalists in unfree places who every day risk their lives on its behalf. If we are squandering that freedom, don’t just blame Facebook or Twitter. Blame all of us.

Fwiw Imo not covering news is a big journalism problem on a local and national level, but that doesn't relate to the 'fake news' issue.

I think that also is a good point about journalism, i.e. Editorialization of the lede, but again those headlines both concern an event which actually happened.

I think that also is a good point about journalism, i.e. Editorialization of the lede, but again those headlines both concern an event which actually happened.
but the headlines are the exact opposite of each other.  Normal people see this kind of behavior and just stop trusting the source.

I blame the idiots who put eyeballs on any of these "media" outlets.  They do what they do to get you to watch them, so if their crap is something you're watching, you're to blame.

David Dodds said:
I don't know enough about Kuwait to know if this fake or real.
The internet is the World Wide Web, my friend, surely in the billions of websites you can find verification for this? DJT has it but Breitbart or other sites you trust don't have this report?

David Dodds said:
I find it sad that the US's biggest pedophile / human-trafficking bust in our history is still not reported on these national MSM websites:

ABC, Bloomberg, CNBC, CNN, Huffington Post, MSNBC, NBC, New York Times, New Yorker, POLITICO, Washington Post

Hats off to CBS and Reuters who did cover it

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/sheriff-474-arrests-in-california-human-trafficking-sting/

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trafficking-arrests-idUSKBN15G5J6
So they finally found the basement in that pizza place? Good for them! 

The Commish said:
I blame the idiots who put eyeballs on any of these "media" outlets.  They do what they do to get you to watch them, so if their crap is something you're watching, you're to blame.
to be fair, people are exposed to so much information today, there is no way that they can process it all.  it's not surprising that people make bad choices.  Many people alive now were used to 3 tv networks explaining and distilling the world for much of their formative years.

So driving between SB parties hoping to change my luck at halftime, clicking around for some new hot take on the game, and lo & behold on my am dial on a random channel what do I hear but the InfoWars radio show featuring Alex Jones. I had no idea he was on the air, I thought he was strictly internet or cable or something like that. He has a bigger reach than I thought.

In one of his commercials he instructs his listeners to send their email to him so that he can provide rapid updates in the event they are "jammed." 

to be fair, people are exposed to so much information today, there is no way that they can process it all.  it's not surprising that people make bad choices.  Many people alive now were used to 3 tv networks explaining and distilling the world for much of their formative years.
This is me....I have no problem ignoring these morons and finding legit sources out there that I can rely on more often than not :shrug:  

This is me....I have no problem ignoring these morons and finding legit sources out there that I can rely on more often than not :shrug:  
One of the best things for perspective is to cut off the news, all of it, for a while and just be surprised when people you know just tell you things for the first time. It's refreshing.

All news is at least a little "fake" simply by what stories they choose to cover, even if these stories are reported 100% accurately with no opinion or biased slant given.

They can't cover every single story and it would be insane to think that every news outlet covered the exact same stories.

I blame biobs.  I follow the cleavage every time no matter what fake news story it takes me to.  

Stanford study shows that more people believed fake news stories benefitting Clinton than for Trump

http://observer.com/2017/02/stanford-study-fake-news-hillary-clinton-election-loss/
Here's the study.

The examples in the appendices are pretty interesting.

- The table on p. 38 is pretty interesting.

- These are the stories they looked at:

Pope endorsed Trump
Wikileaks fabricated emails
Trump to deport Puerto Rican
Abedin radical Muslim
Clinton paid Beyonce
Congressman helped Trump
Comey letter to Republicans only
Obama screamed at protester
Clinton Foundation pedophilia
Trump groped Ru−Paul
Ireland offered political asylum
Pence called Michelle vulgar
Clinton bought illegal arms
FBI agent suicide

- I do not recall a few of those. The 'Huma Abedin is a secret radical muslim who worked for an islamist journal' was one whopper I definitely recall.

From the article (not the study):

The two fake news stories most widely believed in the study, as Empty Wheel noted, happened to be pro-Clinton articles. The first was a false claim perpetuated by the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee that Rep. Jeff Denham helped broker a real estate deal turning a government owned building into a luxury Trump hotel, and the second—stemming from Newsweek’s Kurt Eichenwaldclaimed Wikileaks was releasing fake emails to damage Clinton’s campaign.

- I definitely remember the second. A lot of people misunderstood that point. The actual 'real' story was that WL - in their blog - had misrepresented the content of the email, which was spread continuously. However if people bothered to look at the email itself, that was not altered in any way.

- However the first one I do not recall at all, I did not even hear about any alleged Trump-Denham real estate deal?

Anyway this is pretty interesting. I think when people fall into claiming certain gimmicks like this by themselves cost Hilary the election they're off base.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey guys, I just want to say that journalism is a subject I enjoy and am interested in, and I think it's important to our great democracy. So thanks for the posts and let's keep the dialogue open and going. - SID.

Fwiw this is essentially a repost of something from I replied to earlier today. If y'all have any thoughts or want to discuss any one particular story, I'd be happy to do that.

This was posted in the Trump thread:

http://thefederalist.com/2017/02/06/16-fake-news-stories-reporters-have-run-since-trump-won/

I've seen The Federalist and actually I think it's a pretty good site.

First of all - to me - those aren't 'fake news' stories or "lies". Those are examples of bad, questionable or even good journalism involving things that actually happened. In MI a man told a Detroit Fox affiliate that his mother had died in transit from Iraq because of the EO. That proved to be false - as reported by the same Fox affiliate. That's just an example. Of the others I recognized I'd say most of the other 8 fall into that 'journalism' category, not 'fake news'

Of the 16 articles I'd say that most people have never heard of them. Out of 16 I recognize 8, I'm a news hound and I don't recall another 8 - how about you?

I honestly don't know what the right answer here is if you're a reporter - what if you're in that position, do you report a story - the man claiming that his mother died from the travel restrictions?

Or do you wait for "all the facts" to come out before reporting?

Or do you risk either getting scooped or being accused of ignoring what sounded like a really tragic tale, maybe for political motives?

I don't know, but I do think it's a damned hard job being a reporter today when there's no time really to gauge because something can become "news" in no time at all, and old news is no news.

Fwiw this is essentially a repost of something from I replied to earlier today. If y'all have any thoughts or want to discuss any one particular story, I'd be happy to do that.

This was posted in the Trump thread:

http://thefederalist.com/2017/02/06/16-fake-news-stories-reporters-have-run-since-trump-won/

I've seen The Federalist and actually I think it's a pretty good site.

First of all - to me - those aren't 'fake news' stories or "lies". Those are examples of bad, questionable or even good journalism involving things that actually happened. In MI a man told a Detroit Fox affiliate that his mother had died in transit from Iraq because of the EO. That proved to be false - as reported by the same Fox affiliate. That's just an example. Of the others I recognized I'd say most of the other 8 fall into that 'journalism' category, not 'fake news'

Of the 16 articles I'd say that most people have never heard of them. Out of 16 I recognize 8, I'm a news hound and I don't recall another 8 - how about you?

I honestly don't know what the right answer here is if you're a reporter - what if you're in that position, do you report a story - the man claiming that his mother died from the travel restrictions?

Or do you wait for "all the facts" to come out before reporting?

Or do you risk either getting scooped or being accused of ignoring what sounded like a really tragic tale, maybe for political motives?

I don't know, but I do think it's a damned hard job being a reporter today when there's no time really to gauge because something can become "news" in no time at all, and old news is no news.
You make some good points.  The MI man who lied to the fox affiliate is the perfect example.  They just reported what he said.  People believed it. 

But it's still a lie.

The question is who is lying?  Well obviously the man was lying.  But he only had access to a few people.  By using the local fox affiliate, this was pushed out to millions very quickly.  

I think it's ok to say that "the story was a lie" because it was.  They spread a lie to the country.

The proliferation of social media and the rapid sharing of stories means that once your story is out, it's out.  

BUT, there's another problem.

Once this kind of event happens, such as the man claiming his mother died....News sites all across the internet rush to create their own story about it.  Why?

Simple.  To make money.  It's all about getting clicks and "going viral".  These guys aren't vetting stories, they are reporting them and editorializing them, so that they can draw readers to their sites.

You make some good points.  The MI man who lied to the fox affiliate is the perfect example.  They just reported what he said.  People believed it. 

But it's still a lie.

The question is who is lying?  Well obviously the man was lying.  But he only had access to a few people.  By using the local fox affiliate, this was pushed out to millions very quickly.  

I think it's ok to say that "the story was a lie" because it was.  They spread a lie to the country.

The proliferation of social media and the rapid sharing of stories means that once your story is out, it's out.  

BUT, there's another problem.

Once this kind of event happens, such as the man claiming his mother died....News sites all across the internet rush to create their own story about it.  Why?

Simple.  To make money.  It's all about getting clicks and "going viral".  These guys aren't vetting stories, they are reporting them and editorializing them, so that they can draw readers to their sites.
Arguably for the reporter at the Detroit Fox affiliate it was too good to check. So yes journalistically unacceptable. However keep in mind that the same affiliate came back and reported what had happened after more digging. In the end the station did get it right.

another 40 fake MSM stories came out last week according to the Daily Wire.  

http://www.dailywire.com/news/13294/fake-news-rap-sheet-last-week-msm-was-caught-john-nolte
The first item on the list was debunked in the Trump thread earlier today.

I tried to examine the second item of the list but I had a hard time getting past the part where they accused the Washington Post of attempting to literally strip Americans of Constitutional Rights. Which seems like a bizarre thing to claim, since, you know, the Washington Post is not sentient.

Then I scrolled down to #41. This is not so much an example of "fake news" but rather an accusation of a mass media cover-up of the 2011 Bowling Green arrests. I will ignore the fact that 2011 is not "last week" (as stated in the article headline) but I will simply point out that the arrests were covered extensively by the mainstream press in 2011.

So, based on those 3 shaky examples, I don't have a lot of confidence that the other 37 examples qualify as "fake MSM stories".

The first item on the list was debunked in the Trump thread earlier today.

I tried to examine the second item of the list but I had a hard time getting past the part where they accused the Washington Post of attempting to literally strip Americans of Constitutional Rights. Which seems like a bizarre thing to claim, since, you know, the Washington Post is not sentient.

Then I scrolled down to #41. This is not so much an example of "fake news" but rather an accusation of a mass media cover-up of the 2011 Bowling Green arrests. I will ignore the fact that 2011 is not "last week" (as stated in the article headline) but I will simply point out that the arrests were covered extensively by the mainstream press in 2011.

So, based on those 3 shaky examples, I don't have a lot of confidence that the other 37 examples qualify as "fake MSM stories".

I agree that some on the 40 list are more subjective bias than untruths.  I think this is a better list provided by Saints

I agree that some on the 40 list are more subjective bias than untruths.  I think this is a better list provided by Saints

I like Saints' list, but not all of those examples are "mainstream media" stories. For example, the story about transgender suicides was spread mostly via tweets and Facebook posts; no major news organizations reported on it as far as I can tell, and the only "news" sites that covered it (PinkNews and Mic.com) were merely reporting what their sources told them. If the operator of a crisis hotline tells Mic.com that they've received twice as many calls since Trump was elected, that is not fake news. It may be a lie, but that doesn't mean that Mic.com did anything unethical.

Also, it's quite ironic that The Federalist's list actually contains a bit of fake news itself. They stated that a Time magazine writer wrote that "a bust of MLK Jr. had been removed from the White House". However, the writer didn't actually make that claim. (He only stated that it was no longer on display in the Oval Office.) Furthermore, the writer corrected the error almost immediately, so The Federalist's claim of a "flurry of controversy on social media" seems dubious at best.

Arguably for the reporter at the Detroit Fox affiliate it was too good to check. So yes journalistically unacceptable. However keep in mind that the same affiliate came back and reported what had happened after more digging. In the end the station did get it right.
They typically do get it right in the end.  But that really doesn't matter when the damage is done.

I took a lot of flack for saying it in the other thread, but journalistic standards are really low.  

Example of a TERRIBLE article:

http://www.cnn.com/2017/02/09/politics/donald-trump-fear-travel-ban/index.html

Example of a GREAT article:

http://www.cnn.com/2017/02/08/middleeast/yemen-raid-explainer/index.html

News sites all across the internet rush to create their own story about it.  Why?

I just wanted to say I think this is a very good point and a lot of what is going on here.

In NO, we have seen a once proud journalistic tradition, the Times Picayune, one of the oldest papers in the country, torn down brick by brick. The moved out of an old 70s massive plant which sat astride the I10 with an iconic tower, to a modern expensive office building downtown, with basically office space quarters, it canned a good deal of its staff and its printing capability and shipped that aspect out of town. They told their reporters that their jobs would not be evaluated on accuracy or quality of writing but - not kidding - how much clicks and traffic their articles generated. The number of comments and social media under the story would also be a big determiner. IMO we've essentially lost a good part of the important checks on our often corrupt and incompetent local government.

I like CNN and Dan Merica, I don't mind saying that. However last night I saw a commercial for a Van Jones special on something or other, I'm guessing the state of America or something. Which is ridiculous, that's not 'news' that's punditry.

I agree the article is not good because Merica is a 'reporter' and here he's doing essentially opinion, speculation based on his own insights - posing as news.

I took a lot of flack for saying it in the other thread, but journalistic standards are really low.  

Example of a TERRIBLE article:

http://www.cnn.com/2017/02/09/politics/donald-trump-fear-travel-ban/index.html
I pointed this out to you regarding a different article in the other thread, and I'll do it again here I guess: that's not news, that's an editorial.  Holding that up as an example of "fake news" is exactly the problem.  The inability to distinguish news from opinion pieces is the issue.  

I pointed this out to you regarding a different article in the other thread, and I'll do it again here I guess: that's not news, that's an editorial.  Holding that up as an example of "fake news" is exactly the problem.  The inability to distinguish news from opinion pieces is the issue.  
Just IMO but reporters - like Dan Merica - shouldn't be doing op-eds.

It is true that a lot of times these days people have lost the capacity to distinguish editorialization from reporting, but then news sites have also blurred the lines. It's not just Fox, but they're a good example. People watch Hannity and they think they're watching 'news'. Meanwhile networks like NBC have their news under the entertainment division and a good deal of their 22 daily minutes is driven by human interest stuff or slants designed to elicit emotion and thus ratings. ABC has a former press secretary delivering the news about people he used to work for and an active party chairwoman as a pundit. Etc.

There are two things driving fake news.  First is confirmation bias.  People believe what they want to believe.  If there is an outrageous story about Trump, liberals have a tendency to eat it up and believe it.  Same for conservatives with a Hillary story.  Second, is clickbait.  Internet advertising is driven in large part by getting people to click on stories they want read.  Most of them are "See what Marisa Tomei Looks like now" type items or terrible quizzes on The Beatles that require you to click through 30 different pages (and 30 different sets of ads).  But some of them are also of the "see how terrible Trump's Muslim ban is" variety as well.  There are thousands of people who will click on it even if it is pure BS.

Just IMO but reporters - like Dan Merica - shouldn't be doing op-eds.

It is true that a lot of times these days people have lost the capacity to distinguish editorialization from reporting, but then news sites have also blurred the lines. 
I have no idea who Dan Merica is, for the record.  It says he's a Political Producer, not a reporter. :shrug:

Editorials, human interest stories, etc... that's nothing new, right?  I don't remember a time when those things didn't exist.  I can buy that the internet has made it "worse" somehow, but IMO fundamentally the problem is with the reader who can't tell the difference between an actual news story and an obvious opinion piece.  Like, are we supposed to ban editorials or something?  Obviously not, they always have existed and always will.  It's "user error" that people think this is now fake news. 

clickbait
We really don't know, but yeah my guess is the command and go forth from many publishers/owners is to drive digital traffic.

And like I said before there is a genuine rush to beat twitter and other digital competitors. I think a good example of that is the MLK bust controversy. I have no problem with a reporter reporting in real time that hey it looks like the MLK bust is gone. I personally do not even view that as a big deal, the president can decorate his office any way he damned well pleases, lol. However later the same reporter comes back and reports that teh bust is still there. It's fine what he reported, the final fact is that the bust is in the Oval. The man even apologized to Spicer online, no small thing. Here the problem is reporting in real time as things happening and twitter is just microblogging rather than post-event long form blogging. The technology controls the reporting there too.

I just wanted to say I think this is a very good point and a lot of what is going on here.

In NO, we have seen a once proud journalistic tradition, the Times Picayune, one of the oldest papers in the country, torn down brick by brick. The moved out of an old 70s massive plant which sat astride the I10 with an iconic tower, to a modern expensive office building downtown, with basically office space quarters, it canned a good deal of its staff and its printing capability and shipped that aspect out of town. They told their reporters that their jobs would not be evaluated on accuracy or quality of writing but - not kidding - how much clicks and traffic their articles generated. The number of comments and social media under the story would also be a big determiner. IMO we've essentially lost a good part of the important checks on our often corrupt and incompetent local government.
Exactly.  This crosses all sorts of boundaries, btw.  This touches sports, entertainment, everything.  One of my biggest pet-peeves has to do with the individuals who come up with the article titles.  They are SO click-baity...I hate it.  

I know we aren't going back to the "good ol days" where I could get my newspaper and read the actual news of what is happening and the opinions could be left to the opinion pages....but it's still annoying!

I have no idea who Dan Merica is, for the record.  It says he's a Political Producer, not a reporter. :shrug:

Editorials, human interest stories, etc... that's nothing new, right?  I don't remember a time when those things didn't exist.  I can buy that the internet has made it "worse" somehow, but IMO fundamentally the problem is with the reader who can't tell the difference between an actual news story and an obvious opinion piece.  Like, are we supposed to ban editorials or something?  Obviously not, they always have existed and always will.  It's "user error" that people think this is now fake news. 
Ok good point on his job title, however he used to be a reporter and he does tweet out basic reported facts frequently. I just don't think professionals should be mixing the two.

I tried to say this before, I agree on your second point. Editorials, punditry and opinion pieces are fine, even great, a main problem is people seem to be losing the ability to comprehend what is before them, even as they are reading more than ever before - only on the internet.

Two things drive fake news, the 24 hour news cycle and $$$. Creators of fake news found that they could capture so much interest that they could make money off fake news through automated advertising that rewards high traffic to their sites.

A guy running a string of fake news sites from LA was on local radio saying he made between $10,000 and $30,000 a month posting a little real news but mostly fake stories.  A computer science student said that creating a  website and filling it with some real stories and posting fake news that flattered Trump or Clinton during the election year was like stealing money.

The problem is when CNN and other supposedly real news outlets run fake stories before confirmation due to the need to be first..but not necessarily correct. These stories can be retracted quietly a week later but the damage is already done.

I get it.  But when that article has a prominent placing on CNN, when it doesn't have a big OPINION splattered on it, and when all the editorial articles are slanted in one direction, it shows clear bias.

All these sites do a great job of mixing their opinion articles and their news articles.  It's all a big blur.  It's not as if that article is on a  "CNN Editorial" section of their website.  It's right at the front.

Creators of fake news found that they could capture so much interest that they could make money off fake news through automated advertising that rewards high traffic to their sites.
Again, this is an example of actual 'fake news'.

- It's not fake news because DJT posted it on his FB page. It's because that is a non-existent 'news' site running a story which did not happen and which is not verified anywhere as ever happening.

A lot of the rest of the discussion that people are lumping under 'fake news' are real news sites engaging in arguably shoddy journalistic practices

Ok good point on his job title, however he used to be a reporter and he does tweet out basic reported facts frequently. I just don't think professionals should be mixing the two.

I tried to say this before, I agree on your second point. Editorials, punditry and opinion pieces are fine, even great, a main problem is people seem to be losing the ability to comprehend what is before them, even as they are reading more than ever before - only on the internet.
I totally agree.  But the problem comes when all the editorials swing one way.

For instance, you don't expect to go to a right-wing blog and see pro-Hilary Clinton articles.  Likewise, you don't expect to go to Huffington post or another liberal blog and see pro Donald Trump propaganda.  

But you would expect CNN, Fox News, NBC to show some semblance of balance in their coverage.

Great example is ESPN.  The Patriots were hated by much of the country.  Can you imagine if ESPN ran story after story of pro-Falcon and anti-Patriot news articles?  Yeah sometimes bias creeps in.  But by and large, they try to mix it up, show both sides of the story.  They'll have a few articles from people who think the Pats will win, and a few from people who think the Falcons will win.  They usually try to be fair (although I'm sure many fans would disagree).

With many mainstream news sources, it's anti-Trump 24/7.  Now to be fair, he brings a TON of it on himself.  I'm not bothered when there's an article on Trump's latest tweet, because he's the one tweeting this garbage 4-5 times a day.

But when there is a significant issue, such as the travel ban, or the wall...the coverage is completely biased.  The media feels that the travel ban is a bad thing, and they report on it as such, despite the fact that pretty close to half of the country they are reporting in feels it's a good thing (depending on the polls you believe in).  So where's the coverage for that side of the house?  I know, they aren't educated, they are xenophobic, blah blah blah.  But at least go out and try to find legitimate opinions that represent half of your viewership.

I get it.  But when that article has a prominent placing on CNN, when it doesn't have a big OPINION splattered on it, and when all the editorial articles are slanted in one direction, it shows clear bias.

All these sites do a great job of mixing their opinion articles and their news articles.  It's all a big blur.  It's not as if that article is on a  "CNN Editorial" section of their website.  It's right at the front.
Again, this feels like "user error" to me.  It's not hard at all to distinguish news reporting from editorials.  If I say, "Tom Brady is the greatest QB in NFL history" I don't need to preface that with a disclaimer that it's only my opinion.  It's obviously an opinion.  Would it make sense for me to cry "FAKE NEWS" if ESPN had an article with that title on the same page as an article reporting the outcome of the Super Bowl?  Of course not.  This is nothing new.  My local paper routinely has editorials on the front page alongside news stories.  It's never been a problem.  

Two things drive fake news, the 24 hour news cycle and $$$. Creators of fake news found that they could capture so much interest that they could make money off fake news through automated advertising that rewards high traffic to their sites.

A guy running a string of fake news sites from LA was on local radio saying he made between $10,000 and $30,000 a month posting a little real news but mostly fake stories.  A computer science student said that creating a  website and filling it with some real stories and posting fake news that flattered Trump or Clinton during the election year was like stealing money.

The problem is when CNN and other supposedly real news outlets run fake stories before confirmation due to the need to be first..but not necessarily correct. These stories can be retracted quietly a week later but the damage is already done.
Yep that is a big issue.  But I don't know how that issue gets resolved.  If you spend your time "confirming" stories while an article is going viral, you miss out on loads of money from advertising.  You have to get it out there quick and then once you've made your money and gotten the clicks, you can retract the article if the info is wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread