What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Gore Hall of Fame or NOT? (2 Viewers)

Crystalsteam99

Footballguy
After passing Tony Dorsett for 8th on All-Time rushing list(which surprised me a bit)... I know with Gore playing a lot longer than most RB's do,has something to do with being 8th All-time.He's always been very good consistent runner but never a very spectacular runner.He's like a Bowling ball..Anyways, Should Gore be in the Hall of Fame when all is said and done? He has 1,MAYBE 2 yrs left play to add on to his stats a bit..And to think if he gets another 1,000 yards rushing,between the rest of this year and next,he will be the 5th All-Time leading rusher. I hope he makes the Hall. He's helped win me a couple of Championships in the past,plus he's a really nice guy(From what I've seen and heard). 

I'd vote him in, especially if he rises to #4 all time. Never the best in the league but consistency counts. 

I just don't see keeping him out if he finishes ahead of the bus and Curtis Martin, both of whom are already in the hall. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Zero All Pros, only one season in the top 5 in rushing yards, zero seasons in the top 5 in rushing TDs. Decent running back, compiler, not a difference-maker. Well behind Edgerrin James and Fred Taylor. Not close.

Man I don't think so but if there was the hall of the very good he'd be my first pick. His consistency and still doing it at his age is very impressive.

Curtis Martin seems like a good comp as both were 5 time Pro Bowlers. Just looking at YFS & RRTDs Gore has had far fewer impressive seasons. That he played one more year (& likely has 1-2 more left) is a non-sequiter. Franco & Emmitt aren't in the hall based on what they did after age 30.

While a nice player, I've never thought, "Man, this Frank Gore is one of the best RBs in the league.  What a game changer!"  So, I say no.

In his very best season, he had the 3rd most rushing yards in the league.  Never cracked the top 5 outside 2006

IMO, halls of fame are for the best of the best.  Do you think he qualifies in that regard?

Amazing that he was once considered the 5th best RB on his college team (behind Clinton Portis, Willie McGahee, Najeh Davenport, and Jarrett Payton).

I love the guy.  I think he is one of the best professoinals out there.  He doesn`t deserve to be in the HOF however.  Much like other people have said the HOF shouldn`t be let`s just put a certain number of people a year in...it should only be for those players that really redefined positions.  

Amazing that he was once considered the 5th best RB on his college team (behind Clinton Portis, Willie McGahee, Najeh Davenport, and Jarrett Payton).
They had a  sick group for sure, but Gore was a phenom from his freshman year, IIRC. Just had those knee injuries.

I'm biased as I have a Gore jersey hanging in my closet right now.  I've been a fan since his rookie year and love the guy's ability, drive, and work ethic. He's somewhat of a miracle of health given his bionic limb replacement over the years - both knees, both shoulders, ankle and hand injuries, etc. It's incredible that he just doesn't miss games. 

I say yes - maybe not 1st ballot, but you can't hold the caliber of team he played on against him. Some might argue that he's been a compiler based on longevity (ala Tim Brown), but I still think he gets in. 

I remember that. That's a ridiculously stacked team. Portis / McGahee were elite / borderline elite in the NFL. 

Wasn't Davenport the "closet pooper"? I have this vague recollection that he took a crap in some girl's hamper or something....maybe I'm thinking of someone else. 

I remember that. That's a ridiculously stacked team. Portis / McGahee were elite / borderline elite in the NFL. 

Wasn't Davenport the "closet pooper"? I have this vague recollection that he took a crap in some girl's hamper or something....maybe I'm thinking of someone else. 
That was him.

Gore feels like Hall of Very Good to me, but I can see him getting in eventually if he continues to climb the all-time rushing yards list.

I don't think so, but I wouldn't be shocked or appalled if he did.
That's kinda where I'm at. Plus as mentioned, he's a mancrush  :wub:  so I would root for it to happen. 

Would love to see his stats had he been on winning teams his whole career. When he had a great team around him he was among the best in the NFL. When he had middling teams around him he was still very, very good. 

But folks are correct - it's not the "hall of very, very good", so he may not get in. 

I'm biased as I have a Gore jersey hanging in my closet right now.  I've been a fan since his rookie year and love the guy's ability, drive, and work ethic. He's somewhat of a miracle of health given his bionic limb replacement over the years - both knees, both shoulders, ankle and hand injuries, etc. It's incredible that he just doesn't miss games. 

I say yes - maybe not 1st ballot, but you can't hold the caliber of team he played on against him. Some might argue that he's been a compiler based on longevity (ala Tim Brown), but I still think he gets in. 
LeRoy Butler had a Forest Gump moment in his youth (couldn't walk without braces) and he's not in the HOF. He is more deserving IMO than Frank Gore. He changed the Safety position in the NFL. PLus he invented the Lambeau Leap, which carries no consideration but just one of those Snapple bottle cap facts. You've got a guy like Butler who is consistently falling short of making it to the final 25 but many others who aren't as deserving but played a more flashy position. It's too bad. 

I'll make a disclaimer here, I don't hate Frank Gore. I think what he's done and the length of his career has been very impressive. He's a good person and had a tough road to get to where he is. I like NFL players who are good people, and he is good people. I think he needs to wait his turn like everyone else. If he makes it to top 5 all time rushing then I think there has to be a discussion about him, but there are a lot of good candidates that have yet to get in, and they keep getting over-shadowed by position players

The only thread like this ever where I've seen everyone pretty much agree. Nothing to be said that hasn't already been posted, I think as a group we've got this one right.

Gore probably shouldn't make it. He had one HOF worthy season. He's put together a lot of decent seasons, but he's mostly been a Top Third of the league back. Of backs with 1,000+ carries since 2005, Gore ranks 16th in ypc at 4.41. His biggest selling point is is 3,300 career touches. If people want to induct him as an iron man, so be it.

The only thread like this ever where I've seen everyone pretty much agree. Nothing to be said that hasn't already been posted, I think as a group we've got this one right.
You had to jinx it...

Gore probably shouldn't make it. He had one HOF worthy season. He's put together a lot of decent seasons, but he's mostly been a Top Third of the league back. Of backs with 1,000+ carries since 2005, Gore ranks 16th in ypc at 4.41. His biggest selling point is is 3,300 career touches. If people want to induct him as an iron man, so be it.
I can see this line of reasoning. It's not like he had a decade of dominance in the NFL. He's had a long career and been able to do okay. I really struggle with whether he should be in or not. I'll root for him if he's seriously considered, but I understand if he doesn't get in. It's not the Hall of Very Good. He's had a very good career. What that means for the HOF, who knows. Like I said, there are a lot of guys that I think deserve to get in but the committee does not. 

No.

He's the RB equivalent of Drew Bledsoe: his flashes of being great were very brief, but was very good long enough to rack up numbers that make him look better than he really was.  He is the textbook definition of a compiler. 

Does consistency, longevity, and effectiveness count?

If so.....you can make the case. He's always been a solid back and early in his career he had some really good years. Thinking back to when he was drafted, many people didn't think he'd come back from his injury, and now all these years later, he's still chugging along.

I'd vote him in.....but that's just me.

IMO, the only RB's of the past 20 years that are HoF worthy are:

• Emmitt Smith
  • Barry Sanders
  • LaDanian Tomlinson
  • Marshall Faulk
  • Thurman Thomas
  • Adrian Peterson
  • Terrell Davis
That's it.  There should be about 2x as many WR's though, as the game has transitioned into more of a passing game than a running game.

He played on mostly terrible squads his whole career and defied odds. Longevity is very important. I say he's in. 

Hell, I'm not even sure Tomlinson gets in.
That's just crazy talk. 

Tomlinson was selected to five Pro Bowls, was an All-Pro six times, and won two rushing titles (2006 and 2007). At the time of his retirement, he ranked fifth in career rushing yards (13,684), seventh in all-purpose yards (18,456), second in career rushing touchdowns (145), and third in total touchdowns (162).
He was also an MVP and Player of the Year. He also threw 7 TD passes, 2nd behind Peyton for non-QB, 

That is a HOF-worthy resume.  

Annual ranking for YFS for RBs . . .

2005 33
2006 4
2007 6
2008 11
2009 6
2010 15
2011 14
2012 10
2013 14
2014 13
2015 11
2016 15

Annual ranking for total TDs for RBs . . .

2005 43
2006 11
2007 19
2008 22
2009 6
2010 33
2011 14
2012 10
2013 11
2014 26
2015 11
2016 11

Gore has had only on Top 5 season in either category.

From a team perspective, his team's have gone 91-84-1 overall but have had only 3 winning seasons (out of 12 years played . . . could become 4 if the Colts go 3-1 to end the season). The Niners went 5-3 in the post season with Gore and made a SB.

I think he has been a great player and it would be very close.  I wouldn't lose sleep either way.

No question. This guy has performed week in and week out on bad teams most of his career with ACL surgery on both knees and he's still going.

No question. This guy has performed week in and week out on bad teams most of his career with ACL surgery on both knees and he's still going.
And I thought the point of playing was to win. Being on mostly losing teams doesn't HELP his cause. Neither does having multiple knee surgeries. He has been a consistently above average performer on mediocre teams. As I mentioned earlier, his biggest selling point is his big workload. Big workload x above average production = big career totals over the long haul.

Same as most others here. tremendous career overall but truly a compiler. 

That being said, he's an absolute medical marvel considering what happened to him in college

From a team perspective, his team's have gone 91-84-1 overall but have had only 3 winning seasons (out of 12 years played . . . could become 4 if the Colts go 3-1 to end the season). The Niners went 5-3 in the post season with Gore and made a SB.
I fail to see how this would be relevant in any player's HOF debate. Some might argue that to be 8th all-time in rushing on bad teams would make him more, not less worthy. 

Gore had to suffer through Dennis Erikson, Mike Singletary, Jim Hostler, and a slew of incompetent coordinators who rotated in and out year after year. He didn't have the benefit of an elite QB, or an elite OL, nor did he have WRs around him that could stretch a defense. He faced a ton of stacked boxes in his career and STILL performed at a high level. 

Not saying he is or ain't worthy, but I don't see why it would be a negative against Gore that his teams sucked. This is a team sport we're talking about and the record of the team can't be held against Gore. It's not Gore's fault after rushing down the field like a hot knife through butter that Harbaugh wanted 4 straight fade routes into the end zone, just like it's not Gore's fault that Kaepernick was incapable of making that throw 4 times, or that Crabtree was incapable of catching it.

I get the 1st part of your post but found this to be unfair to evaluating Gore. 

And I thought the point of playing was to win. Being on mostly losing teams doesn't HELP his cause. Neither does having multiple knee surgeries. He has been a consistently above average performer on mediocre teams.
I dunno - I think I make a pretty good case that it does above.  I don't see why being on losing teams would hurt his cause either. He's not the GM - it's not his fault his teams have been mostly mediocre. And to his credit, he never complained or acted like an ### demanding a trade or complaining about coaching or game plan or losing. He's been a great guy his entire career. 

As I mentioned earlier, his biggest selling point is his big workload. Big workload x above average production = big career totals over the long haul.
Tim Brown is a HOFer, and while I love me some Tim Brown, he's the ultimate compiler.  Terrell Owens stats blow Tim Brown away across the board and TO isn't a HOF-er and Tim Brown is.  There are compilers in the HOF - longevity should count too. It's part of the game. 

Again - not saying Gore is or ain't a HOF - I'm with those who say if he gets in I won't complain because I like the dude a lot. But I don't think he can be dismissed for reasons like longevity and being on bad teams. To me those are strengths. 

The reason I said being on losing teams won't help his cause is HOF voters have shown that they reward players from winning teams / dynasties. You can't tell the story of the NFL without the Steelers or Cowboys . . . but no one will point out the Gore era Niners as being one of the best ever. Put another way, no one can really make the argument that Gore was a main cog in the multi time SB winning 49ers machine.

As for finishing in the Top 10 in career rushing yards, the following all ended their careers ranked highly:

Ottis Anderson 7th in career rushing yards and 8th in YFS
Ricky Watters 9th in career YFS
Tiki Barber 10th in career YFS
Henry Ellard 3rd in career receiving yards
Irving Fryar 7th in receiving yards
Gary Clark 8th in receiving yards
Stanley Morgan 5th in receiving yards
Harold Carmichael 6th in receiving yards
Harold Jackson 2nd in receiving yards and 8th in YFS
Kerry Collins 10th in passing yards
Vinny Testaverse 6th in passing yards
Drew Bledsoe 7th in passing yards
Boomer Esiason 8th in passing yards
Jim Hart 3rd in passing yards

I am sure there are plenty of other examples but taking the time to find them doesn't change the fact that there are plenty of players that retired in the Top 10 of some major category that never made the HOF. It doesn't mean they weren't very good players, only that HOF voters never gave them enough votes for induction. But clearly ranking in the Top 10 in a category is far from a free pass to Canton . . . as it probably should be.

I don't dislike Gore, but as others have stated, there are likely other more deserving HOF candidates at other positions that should be in before Gore. I would also concur that too many players get inducted, but we certainly are not going to kick anyone out.

Users who are viewing this thread