What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Your wife is a terrible cook, what do you do? (1 Viewer)

fantasycurse42

Footballguy Jr.
Asking for a friend. Your wife, hypothetically is just awful at cooking, you don't want to hurt her feelings and appreciate the effort, but her meals are typically pretty bad - what do you do?

Asking for a friend. Your wife, hypothetically is just awful at cooking, you don't want to hurt her feelings and appreciate the effort, but her meals are typically pretty bad - what do you do?
Find a local culinary school or cooking class and enroll her.  Publix has a pretty good one

Maybe on a weekend then? 

Does she realize her cooking isn't good (vs restaurant or at someone else's home)? Can she not tell the difference?
They usually eat out on Fri/Sat - the husband will cook on Sundays here and there.

She is somewhat aware that the meals can be subpar.

Mine is, she can bake wonderful stuff, but hates to cook. So I do all the cooking, but as a Mr. Mom, that kinda fits into the job description.

In this situation myself.  It's not that she's a bad cook, just that her palate is different.  I like, you know, flavor.  Her dishes are generally bland and tasteless.  She likes them though, so that's what we eat.  I am a pretty good cook, but I hate to cook unless I'm making something special.  So, I would rather eat her cooking than cook myself.  That's about the only choice.

If I suggested she go to a culinary class, or give her cooking tips myself, I'm certain she would stop cooking instantly.

proninja said:
1 kid for another month, between 8 and 8:30. I get home, cook dinner, feed the kid, and then put the kid to bed. 
You get home at 730, cook dinner, then feed the kid, and have him to bed between 8-830? Is your primary method a microwave?

They did Hellofresh for a month, but the portions were just way too small - from what I understand.
I did Hellofresh before I started traveling too much for it to make sense.  I didnt find the portions to be way to small if you ate the amount that a normal person should.  That said, we live in the US of A and everyone over eats.  I used to joke that I would eat until I didnt feel good, but I wasnt joking.  I over ate all the time.  I love food.  But Hellofresh is one thing that helped me with portion control. I still tend to overeat sometimes, but its not because their portions are too small, its because im shoving my face with more than my body actually needs.

One idea, if your friend is a decent cook himself, is to cook one or two big things over the weekend, and eat off of them at least three weeknights during the week. If it were me, as one example of many, I'd have a big pot of spaghetti sauce (usually Bolognese, with ground meat) in the fridge and just part it out for a few nights. Pasta can be boiled as needed -- takes 20 minutes from start to finish.

Similarly for white beans & sausage (boiled rice = 20-25 minutes), "Indian food" (jarred sauce + can of tomato sauce + chicken or shrimp, then basmati rice made on demand), gumbo, etc. All that kind of stuff keeps great in a fridge for 3 or 4 days, and can be frozen if need be.

Around here, a lot of people like to buy a long loaf of French bread and cold cuts, and simply have po-boys (heroes, subs, etc) for supper. Friend and wife can make their own to taste, and beats the heck out of Subway.

Breakfast for dinner can be done on occasion, especially if you don't regularly eat full breakfasts and having the full spread is kind of a novelty. Scrambled eggs, bacon, and biscuits/toast/grits/oatmeal/etc. can be done from start to finish in about 45 minutes (a little faster w/o biscuits).

There's always getting a grocery rotisserie chicken on the way home and whipping up Rice a Roni and can of peas to go with it. About 30 minutes ... quicker if you do consommé rice instead of Rice a Roni.

Another quick pick-up dinner from the grocery -- jarred Alfredo sauce, Italian sausage, and your favorite "broad" pasta (penne, rigatoni, linguine, etc.). Takes about 35-40 minutes.

What kind of bad meals are we talking here? How ambitious is she? 

If she's trying a bunch of crazy nonsense and it's turning out like crap, that's one conversation. If she's screwing up really simple stuff, that's something different.

Slow cooker recipes 
Heck, great call. Totally forgot about setting some chili, Bolognese sauce, beans, etc. in the slow cooker before leaving for work, and then having dinner ready to roll when you walk in the door in the evening.

Many, many options ... and not just stew-type stuff. Can do roasts and chicken in slow cookers, too.

He needs to cook more.  Coming home later is just an excuse; there are great meals that can be made with little/no prep.

The wife sounds lazy if she knows her cooking sucks and doesn't do anything about it. 

I know the feeling man, my estranged wife couldn't cook and I didn't like it.  But she didn't like that I banged all her friends so we're about even. 

If she's trying a bunch of crazy nonsense and it's turning out like crap, that's one conversation. If she's screwing up really simple stuff, that's something different.
Good points.

Also ... is there any one or two things that she cooks well enough? If so, your friend can cook big stuff to stretch a few nights, then she can cook her best dishes maybe once or twice a week. Fill in the rest with take-out, on-the way-home grocery dinners, etc.

He needs to cook more.  Coming home later is just an excuse; there are great meals that can be made with little/no prep.
If his kids eat at 6pm and he isn't home until 630ish, it is hard - plus he prefers spending the little time he is home during the week hanging out with his kids, not in the kitchen.

If his kids eat at 6pm and he isn't home until 630ish, it is hard - plus he prefers spending the little time he is home during the week hanging out with his kids, not in the kitchen.

proninja said:
I usually have 2-3 meals precooked and ready to heat/serve. Right now I have beef stew, teriyaki chicken/rice, and some pressure cooked beef I can chop and put on top of salads. I cook when I have time, either on weekends or after the kid goes to bed, and I've got a selection of from scratch, reasonably healthy food I can reheat and serve. I meal prep for lunches at work as well. 
Make the food ahead of time.  Have wife assemble it based on what's already in the fridge.

I would suggest finding out exactly why she is a bad cook.....is she burning everything? Undercooking? Seasoning too much or too little? What exactly is wrong here?

Figure that out and practice on the weekends with her. The couple can then develop a core group of solid dishes and go from there. Her confidence will increase and she'll be willing to do that three-way in no time.

At this stage in life, your friend's wife probably "can't cook" because she just doesn't have that much interest in it. People who inherently love and appreciate good food usually become good cooks as a by-product.

I would suggest finding out exactly why she is a bad cook.....is she burning everything? Undercooking? Seasoning too much or too little? What exactly is wrong here?

Figure that out and practice on the weekends with her. The couple can then develop a core group of solid dishes and go from there. Her confidence will increase and she'll be willing to do that three-way in no time.
If nothing else, see if she can successfully boil rice and pasta. Anyone can learn (really), and it will help a ton.

Complain on a message board while humble bragging and/or being a tremendous d0uchebag?

Last edited by a moderator:
Complain on a message board while humble bragging and/or being a tremendous d0uchebag?
No humble bragging at all, I'm the mother####ing man, I'm good at stuff beyond a message board - don't think there is anything humble brag about me, so not an astute observation, message board Jordan. 

My wife tried a new recipe last night, it was a lemon garlic chicken over pasta.  She cooked the chicken in a crock pot, to her own admission you put too much lemon in it and the chicken dried out in the crock pot.  I looked at both my kids that barely touched the meal, turned to her and said, "Sorry Mommy, you have been chopped.  Your chicken was dry and there was too much lemon.  For these reasons, we had to chop you"

My wife tried a new recipe last night, it was a lemon garlic chicken over pasta.  She cooked the chicken in a crock pot, to her own admission you put too much lemon in it and the chicken dried out in the crock pot.  I looked at both my kids that barely touched the meal, turned to her and said, "Sorry Mommy, you have been chopped.  Your chicken was dry and there was too much lemon.  For these reasons, we had to chop you"
Wait.....wait....didn't you.....wait....thread a few days back.....was that a fantasy?!?!?!?!

Would like some clarification on this as well. Was just reading some crock pot recipes that looked fine.
I think maybe some are cream-based.  My wife makes an awesome crock pot pulled chicken but the final step is to add in a metric #### ton of sour cream. 

Users who are viewing this thread