What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Carr v Rodgers Both Tough Matchups (1 Viewer)

Mr. Know-It-All

Footballguy
Well the one week I was worried about and we have a two QB roster limit and I have to start one of them.  Carr at Kansas City on a short week in what will be a cold weather game against a pretty stout defense OR Rodgers at home vs Seattle with snow in the forecast Saturday and Sunday in Green Bay.  Seattle is an incredibly tough defense - but maybe a break in Thomas being out?

Pts = 6 pt per td, -1 per int, 3 pts at 250 yards, +1 each addl 25 yards.  Yardage is combined passing and rushing.

I'd go with the experience and home field advantage here.  Rodgers knows how to play in the elements and the Seahawks' D will be affected by Thomas being out.

I have the same dilemma and am absolutely stumped.

I am afraid of sitting Carr only for Sunday to be less than ideal weather and be stuck watching Rodgers.

However, Thursday night on the road on a short week is no picnic either.

I have the same dilemma and am absolutely stumped.

I am afraid of sitting Carr only for Sunday to be less than ideal weather and be stuck watching Rodgers.

However, Thursday night on the road on a short week is no picnic either.
What is killing me in this decision is that while I am the 2 seed and my opponent is the 7, he has the advantage of Winston vs New Orleans AND Elliot vs NYG and Hopkins vs depleted IND secondary so he is actually a slight favorite in the game.  Meanwhile every one of my key players has a tough matchup.  On one side I needed those players to get to the playoffs, but now I am there and they all have a tough matchup in Week 14.  DOH!  One and done is a very real possibility.

I think you go Rodgers and his experience in bad weather games over Carr who has rarely (if ever?) played in a bad weather game. Add in the short week for Carr and I really don't like that play. Sure Rodgers has a tough matchup, but he was pretty decent last week with snow. CBs will fall over and leave some guys open. Plus, I just don't know how you sit Rodgers at home in December unless you have an amazing other option

Similar dilemma . . . . .  I have Rodgers / Stafford and need a win to make the playoffs. I have Rodgers penciled in right now, but if Carr were my 2nd QB, I would probably still play Rodgers for the same reasons outlined by walbridge20

Since you are basically admitting to being an underdog, because of the other teams studs like EZE and + matchups, then you need to go with the highest upside.

Sure, Rodgers puts up the occasional bad game, but here is a very real situation where you may have to have a monster game to win and stay alive.

As strong as Carr has been all season, Rodgers is currently the #1 QB in fantasy football in standard formats, and in fact he is the #1 player in fantasy.

Carr has little to no history in bad weather, yet Rodgers does, PLUS he is at home. (admittedly vs. the Seahawks) They are also minus Thomas.

Lets put it simply- you have a matchup, where you are an underdog, so you are looking for some possible huge upside. Both QB have been doing well this year, but one is not only accustomed to playing in cold weather, but he easily has the highest upside (and longer track record of blow up games)  to boot.

I have Carr going in a couple leagues, but I don't really think this is a close choice. Its Rodgers easy.

Ask yourself this......

Suppose you start Carr, and lose by a few points and then you would have won starting Rodgers.

Are you going to be asking yourself all offseason ..." WTF was I doing sitting Aaron Rodgers/the #1 QB in fantasy in a must win playoff game where I needed some immense upside?"

Can you live with actually sitting Rodgers (if you lose) in a must win game where you likely need some big points/upside???

This is a case where if you start Rodgers and lose...then you just lose. Take your lumps. Then you can say "I swung for the fences and I started the #1 QB in fantasy".

TZM

I was thinking about your team when I just checked the stats... Carr has yet to break 100 yards passing. I can assure you that Rodgers will get you more than 5 points as long as the world doesn't end before Sunday (totally possible this year)

I was thinking about your team when I just checked the stats... Carr has yet to break 100 yards passing. I can assure you that Rodgers will get you more than 5 points as long as the world doesn't end before Sunday (totally possible this year)
Our league Carr scored 0 because no points awarded for QB until they hit 250 combined yards and ints are only -1.  So it is only a bad play if Rodgers throws for less than 250 and has 3 ints with no tds (could happen,but at the worst I am probably looking at something north of 0).

Thanks guys - well I benched Carr so it is Rodgers or bust!  So far it has been a good move.

It was the correct play, and the fact that Carr didn't do anything.....well it feels good right?   :D

Jokes aside, Rodgers was the play here, but the main reason why  (in my opinion) was you essentially said you needed a big game. Neither is a "great" play, but at least he offers the 40 point upside, he has done it so many times before.

Anyway, this one worked out, good luck sir~!  I'm glad you benched Carr. Fortunately for me, the 2 leagues I started him, are 10 man leagues where I have already clinched and this week is meaningless.

TZM

Users who are viewing this thread