What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Alt Country / Texas Country ***Official Thread*** (1 Viewer)

Happy birthday to the Red-Headed Stranger.  Unbelievable that he is still writing music and touring at 85.  My first concert with my dad almost 40 years ago. We sat right up front and he played all my favorite tunes, with Emmy Lou singing back up on many.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKPSf4reTeY
Saw him a couple years ago in Savannah.  His voice isn't as strong as it once was but his guitar is still great.  His son, Lukas played with him that show and I'm pretty sure he will carry on the legacy.  His take on "Georgia" is inspired.

I wish I liked WIllie's playing because I do like a lot of his songs. But I find his guitar playing unlistenable. It's nails on a chalkboard for me. It's always out of time to the point of sounding like he's doing some kind of abstract performance art thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wish I liked WIllie's playing because I do like a lot of his songs. But I find his guitar playing unlistenable. It's nails on a chalkboard for me. It's always out of time to the point of sounding like he's doing some kind of abstract performance art thing.
Interesting.  That is exactly why I like it.  its even more out of time live...it is very odd...but somehow just right?

I’ve never considered that, but can understand how his style might be annoying. I’m like Swanson though, I love the way he alters tempos with his guitar and singing. I absolutely love the sound of his guitar, although part of that is nostalgia due to my dad also playing a Martin and trying to copy Willies sound. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Cody Jinks dropped a new album at midnight.. already #1 on iTunes album chart. Hoping it beats the #4 Billboard debut of his last album. 

Best Part: ANOTHER new album dropping NEXT Friday, too! Back to Back #1 Billboard Debuts for Modern Day Merle? 

Have loved watching this guy grow from seeing him in Dallas Honky Tonks over half a decade ago, to now selling out 2 night stints at Red Rocks and the Ryman... and he’s doing it all 100% independent :thumbup:  

Go Cody Go. 

Country is definitely not my world... but I went through a period where I kinda liked some cow-punky outfits like the mekons, but especially the SF band Dieselhed (mid 90s).

Snowblind in the Liquor Store

Hashbrowns

Cloud of Diesel

there were a fantastic band live- lots of lyric improv, great harmonies, bizarre multi-instrumentalists (drummer played trumpet)
Went on a deep YouTube rabbit hole dieselhed trip the other night. Their live videos are so poorly recorded, it hurts..but it brought me back to how fun they were live. One show, two guys are playing chess during the gig, incorporating it into the show. so stupid, but somehow worked.

I've listened to Sturgill's record four times and tried watching the movie.  I respect what he's trying to do, whatever that is, but I don't think this'll ever be my go-to Simpson album.

I like, but Sturgill didn't put any country into this one.  Its good old American rock music.
Take out the synths and Mercury in Retrograde would fit right into Metamodern Sounds in Country Music.  That’s the one song that I can feel that influence in. Anyway, I’d have probably been happy for Sturgill to make 10 more outlaw country records, so it’s a minor miracle I still like what he’s done instead. 

Users who are viewing this thread