What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Playoff Weather Concerns (1 Viewer)

Futz

Footballguy
Green Bay v Seattle --- Snow & 23 degrees No mention of wind

NE v Baltimore --- Snow changing to an icy mix

Buffalo v Pitt --- Snow 31 degrees

Snow creates turnovers so I see a bump for the defenses so far in week 14 but not much more to be overly concerned about at this point.

didn't mention AZ vs Miami? possibly the worst weather of all the games 
I didn't go over every game in depth. I saw 77 and rain which sounds nice to a Michigan man right now! ;)  I'm looking for local feedback or updates.

I didn't go over every game in depth. I saw 77 and rain which sounds nice to a Michigan man right now! ;)  I'm looking for local feedback or updates.
Rain, but I've seen high winds reported. 20 mph. Not sure how significant that is but the report seemed concerned as if that was significant. 

What about tonight?  Really cold and a layer of ice formed on the field over night. How does that affect the kickers and everyone else? Crabtree was already scaring me this week.
I'm sure those underground heaters are on all day today. Could be some footing issues. I am not sure I'd worry much about it unless it was snowing tonight. They have all day to dry that field out... even with portable heaters that's possible. They have about 12 hours since that tweet. plenty of time. Again, unless it snows then I'd be concerned. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sure those underground heaters are on all day today. Could be some footing issues. I am not sure I'd worry much about it unless it was snowing tonight. They have all day to dry that field out... even with portable heaters that's possible. They have about 12 hours since that tweet. plenty of time. Again, unless it snows then I'd be concerned. 
I don't see snow anywhere in the forecast but it's not going to get above freezing at any point today. In perfect weather they usually don't let Santos attempt long ones. What's his limit tonight?  44 yards? Cold weather affects the ball more for kickers than anyone else. They lose distance.

I don't see snow anywhere in the forecast but it's not going to get above freezing at any point today. In perfect weather they usually don't let Santos attempt long ones. What's his limit tonight?  44 yards? Cold weather affects the ball more for kickers than anyone else. They lose distance.
Yeah I would agree. I'd probably avoid this matchup if I could but I have a feeling it'll be a high scoring affair. 

WRs too - the ball becomes hard as a rock making it difficult to catch. Depends on the QB throwing it, but I've heard WRs talking about how much it hurts to catch a bullet on a frosty day in the past.  

Of course, those comments were from back when WRs rarely wore gloves...

Snow creates turnovers so I see a bump for the defenses so far in week 14 but not much more to be overly concerned about at this point.
Do you have any stats to back this up?  Seems like it would be true for more fumbles, but fewer interceptions.  In icy/snowy conditions, the offensive player knows his route, but the defender cannot react to it as quickly without proper footing.  Green Bay didn't seem very affected by the snow last week.

One of the crappiest weather games the past few years was Patriots in soldier field and Brady ripped the Bears so I don't know if weather affects all teams the same.  

Gostkowski out. Santos in. Weather for New England-Baltimore on Monday night looks worse for kickers.

bizkliz said:
Same boat. Gostkowski on the pine for now in favor of Prater and his nice warm dome. 
Meh -its my Tucker vs opponents Gostkowski to close out the week.   Is it just rain?  Cold and rain?

bizkliz said:
Same boat. Gostkowski on the pine for now in favor of Prater and his nice warm dome. 
I have Justin Tucker, and not thinking about benching him.   Best kicker in football, weather be damned.  

Nice summaries here. Miami isn't looking too bad at all.

http://www.rotowire.com/football/weather.htm
Very rainy today. Less rain tomorrow, but a good chance as a cold front has become stationary just to our south. This wind will pick up to about 15-20 mph as the front slowly moves through.  Not good weather for Palmer, but not too bad for Ajayi and Johnson, expect that the chance of fumbles increases. The field could get nasty. Stay tuned. 

Very rainy today. Less rain tomorrow, but a good chance as a cold front has become stationary just to our south. This wind will pick up to about 15-20 mph as the front slowly moves through.  Not good weather for Palmer, but not too bad for Ajayi and Johnson, expect that the chance of fumbles increases. The field could get nasty. Stay tuned. 
I was in Miami/Ft Laud last night when it started pouring. Today has been overcast up here in Palm Beach with a few showers. 

I don't think the rain will be a major factor tomorrow. Wind is tricky here, 15 to 20 is pretty manageable for a QB. 25+ in places like Chicago and Green Bay with gusts, that's a much harder situation plus the temperatures are a lot colder and the ball is heavier. It's not going to be cold tomorrow, just a little wet and windy. Not perfect but compared to most places it should be terrific weather for football tomorrow.

agree with you on Ajayi and Johnson

Basically little to no factors anywhere.
I would still keep a close eye on Cleveland and Miami. If you have tough decisions with those players, this could be the tie break.

Looks like could be 10" of snow in GB. This could be a huge factor. 
I'm not sure where you are getting this either. In the Milwaukee area we are forecast to get 6-8 inches starting last night around 6 and ending tonight around 6. Green Bay is to get even less, 1-3 inches today. About the same as last week. Difference will be it is much cooler so the snow will be drier and less slick on the field. I see about the same impact on the game as last week, which was minimal.

ETA: It is also a 3:25 game so snow will be mostly done by that point. I would say very little snow in the second half. So it will be dealing with what's already on the ground.

I'm not sure where you are getting this either. In the Milwaukee area we are forecast to get 6-8 inches starting last night around 6 and ending tonight around 6. Green Bay is to get even less, 1-3 inches today. About the same as last week. Difference will be it is much cooler so the snow will be drier and less slick on the field. I see about the same impact on the game as last week, which was minimal.
They showed Lambeau on TV about 10 minutes ago, and it was snowing, and the news reporter said they were getting 6-8 inches.

It is snowing in Green Bay now, but as a couple other poster pointed out, it is supposed to let up to flurries during the game.

Any weather updates from Cleveland? I am debating between Dalton and Palmer this week. I was originally going with Dalton based on his performance last week and matchup vs Cleveland but am now wondering if I should switch to Palmer.

Denver724 said:
Could very well be. I was a little concerned about starting Wilson. I am rolling with him, Rawls and all the GB pass catchers. 
Just showed a shot of Lambeau and the grounds crew were clearing all of the snow from the field. And it had stopped snowing.

ffrookie said:
Any weather updates from Cleveland? I am debating between Dalton and Palmer this week. I was originally going with Dalton based on his performance last week and matchup vs Cleveland but am now wondering if I should switch to Palmer.
I actually picked up the CLE D/ST in hopes of a sloppy offensive game all around. Looks like snow/rain and 10-15mph winds.

Users who are viewing this thread